USU vs USC, an outsider's view:

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
sound_coug
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

USU vs USC, an outsider's view:

Post by sound_coug » September 11th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Because this is my first thread here, I'll give just a little background info on myself by way of introduction. I'm a BYU fan. I love college football. I love that USU is good again as it makes college football in Utah so much better with 3 meaningful rivalry games in the state each year. I hope to come by every now and then and talk some football with you guys. I promise I am not a troll. Anyway, on to the USC game.

This is a game I have been excited about all through the off season. I've had the USU-USC game circled all summer as an Aggie victory. There are two main reasons for this: Lane Kiffin is an abysmal coach and USU is a very good team. Here is what will happen:

USC will be stuffed all game long by the Aggie defense. Lane Kiffin has put together a truly embarrassing offense. They won't be able to move the ball against USU's defense. USU's defense is one of the best they will face all season, and USC can't even move the ball against the worst defenses they will face all year (Hawaii and WSU). However, USC still has very dangerous athletes on their team, especially at receiver. Because of this fact, at some point one of their receivers will break loose and make a big play leading to the only Trojan touchdown of the game.

USC still has a good defense and will give the Aggies problems. However, the Aggies have three key things going for them on offense: Chuckie Keeton, a veteran OL, and solid athletes at the skill positions. In spite of USC's tough defense, Chuckie will be able to engineer a few solid scoring drives.

The result of all this is a 17-7 win for USU in the Colloseum. USC may be stacked with athletes, but Lane Kiffin is a train wreck. Yet even if USC was well coached, USU would have a puncher's chance in this game because they have a veteran group of very good athletes on both sides of the ball.

This game is going to be an absolute nightmare for Lane Kiffin. Losing to Washington State is plenty bad for USC, but at least Washington State is a PAC 12 Team (for those John White IV fans). I wonder if Lane Kiffin has any inkling how badly the stuff is going to hit the fan after USU comes in and punches USC in the mouth in convincing fashion (I think the game will be more lopsided than the final score indicates).

Good luck against Weber. If I was an Aggie fan my only hope for the game would be that Chuckie doesn't get hurt.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Re: USU vs USC, an outsider's view:

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 11th, 2013, 7:22 pm

I'm worried that BC beats USC and they light a fire under the team. Then again, maybe they collapse. They would have a better offense running the wildcat w/ Lee every play imo. He cant throw any worse than the guys they have chucking it now.

trevordude
Pick'em Champ - '22 FB Predict The Score

Post by trevordude » September 11th, 2013, 7:56 pm

I really wish USC would be ranked and undefeated when we play them, it would've only done good for us.

Not sent from Tapatalk

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 11th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Sounds like USC is about to pull the redshirt off of their QB of the future, who is supposed to be the savior of USC.

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » September 11th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Welcome to the board, sound_coug! We're always excited to have new opinions/personalities! As for the USC game, I totally agree. I've been waiting for this one all year!

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 11th, 2013, 8:14 pm

newhouse9 wrote:Sounds like USC is about to pull the redshirt off of their QB of the future, who is supposed to be the savior of USC.
is his name Chuckie Keeton?

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » September 11th, 2013, 8:44 pm

AGinNEIowa wrote:
newhouse9 wrote:Sounds like USC is about to pull the redshirt off of their QB of the future, who is supposed to be the savior of USC.
is his name Chuckie Keeton?
If by savior you mean the guy who gets the bad coach fired, then yes it is chuckie.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 11th, 2013, 8:52 pm

Max Browne, 5 star recruit. Freshman

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 11th, 2013, 8:56 pm

he could be a 20 star recruit ranked #1 in the galaxy... meet the USU Defense buddy! :cheers:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » September 11th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Interesting development. I hope they don't, just in case he is good. It would be hard to imagine that he is ready.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » September 11th, 2013, 9:11 pm

If they do. I hope it is for this week. It would be nice to have some film on him. Or would it be better for him to have zero experience? I'd take being us being more prepared.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 11th, 2013, 9:17 pm

newhouse9 wrote:Max Browne, 5 star recruit. Freshman
Where did you hear that? he just named a different QB starter

http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/artic ... s-boston-c

cbingham

Post by cbingham » September 12th, 2013, 10:57 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:I'm worried that BC beats USC and they light a fire under the team. Then again, maybe they collapse. They would have a better offense running the wildcat w/ Lee every play imo. He cant throw any worse than the guys they have chucking it now.

I've thought about this as well. I think another bad performance is more likely to force the wheels off rather than light a fire. Kiffin showed no ability to affect their mental toughness last year once the defence started to crumble and the QB started forcing balls and throwing picks.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » September 12th, 2013, 11:07 am

stewusu98 wrote:If they do. I hope it is for this week. It would be nice to have some film on him. Or would it be better for him to have zero experience? I'd take being us being more prepared.
We have not had a good track record the last couple of years with new QBs coming in and playing against us

AGGIEinIOWA

Post by AGGIEinIOWA » September 12th, 2013, 11:13 am

I hope they beat BC and gain a false sense of security going into our game. Then I hope they beat everyone else on their schedule and finish back in the top 25. Besides, we don't want USC to be so bad that they drag down our OOC SOS? I can see the College Game Day crew discussing the potential BCS busters two months from now and saying our weak out of conference win against USC is hurting our BCS ranking and may cost us a shot at the Fiesta Bowl. :joking:

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 12th, 2013, 11:26 am

cbingham wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:I'm worried that BC beats USC and they light a fire under the team. Then again, maybe they collapse. They would have a better offense running the wildcat w/ Lee every play imo. He cant throw any worse than the guys they have chucking it now.

I've thought about this as well. I think another bad performance is more likely to force the wheels off rather than light a fire. Kiffin showed no ability to affect their mental toughness last year once the defence started to crumble and the QB started forcing balls and throwing picks.

I completely agree. I think a loss to BC and the wheels come off and we pick up a win as well.

I perused the USC rivals.com site yesterday and their fans are very concerned about USU and are disappointed it is not a late night game so fewer people could see them lose. Most have already given up on the season. The link on the schedule page is to the scout.com site, so I thought I would share this one as well.

http://usc.rivals.com/forum.asp?fid=521

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » September 12th, 2013, 1:45 pm

I don't know. I think Kiffin has to be smart enough to know that if he loses to USU, he may not have a job by the end of the week. I'm sure his team will be ready to play. I like to believe USU has a chance, but I still think USC is a strong favorite.

SweepDance

Post by SweepDance » September 12th, 2013, 2:58 pm

newhouse9 wrote:Max Browne, 5 star recruit. Freshman
Like Jake Heaps? Because I like that idea!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 12th, 2013, 4:53 pm

StanfordAggie wrote:I don't know. I think Kiffin has to be smart enough to know that if he loses to USU, he may not have a job by the end of the week. I'm sure his team will be ready to play. I like to believe USU has a chance, but I still think USC is a strong favorite.
I don't think Kiffen is capable of getting his team ready to play to be honest.

Locked Previous topicNext topic