8 or 9 additional guys

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

8 or 9 additional guys

Post by slcagg » July 22nd, 2014, 7:26 pm

Saw a tweet the other day that we could have 8 or 9 more new additions aside from the february announced class. If there are 8 who are they. These are who I could come with:

1. Bryant Hayes
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. The receiver transferring from Houston (Rodriguez?)

...any others that we know of?

BustaMcNutt

Re: 8 or 9 additional guys

Post by BustaMcNutt » July 22nd, 2014, 7:44 pm

Tonny Lindsey?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » July 22nd, 2014, 8:36 pm

Sam Atoe was a possibility at one time. Don't know the status now. He either never signed with Cal or was released.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

slcagg

Post by slcagg » July 23rd, 2014, 8:08 am

I actually was surprised that we did not go after a JC safety. This guy (Atoe) would make sense especially since we lost Sunia.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2014, 9:51 am

Sam Atoe would be a great addition and it makes sense in that we would be adding yet another College of San Mateo guy.

I also know that the coaches were hoping that former Washington signee Corey Waller a 3* OLB that last played at Long Beach CC would qualify in May and consider coming to USU.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2014, 10:12 am

1. Bryant Hayes
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least 1 LB and 1 OL that we haven't heard of yet.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » July 23rd, 2014, 10:59 am

aggies22 wrote:1. Bryant Hayes
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

I wouldn't be surprised if there is at least 1 LB and 1 OL that we haven't heard of yet.
What's interesting Aggies22 is that if you look at the Media Guide, I count 25 players that were scholarship signees this year -- that's the limit (of course Hayes and Floyd were 2 of them). But from from Hobbs down, they would have to all be walkon's which doesn't make sense. I wonder how we are do it -- perhaps they'll be in next year's class and receive scholarships in January (walkon the first semester) What do you think?

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » July 23rd, 2014, 11:31 am

USUBlue wrote:
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

What's interesting Aggies22 is that if you look at the Media Guide, I count 25 players that were scholarship signees this year -- that's the limit (of course Hayes and Floyd were 2 of them). But from from Hobbs down, they would have to all be walkon's which doesn't make sense. I wonder how we are do it -- perhaps they'll be in next year's class and receive scholarships in January (walkon the first semester) What do you think?
85=85?

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2014, 12:26 pm

USUBlue wrote:
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

According to what I was able to find. If you sign players in December, meaning JC transfers, early high school enrollees, and grayshirts. A school that has not yet filled it's 25 scholarship limit for the current academic year (so in the case of your question USUBLUE, 25 scholarships for the 2013 academic year) then said school is able to count those December signings toward that years academic numbers. So you are basically adding to your signing list that began back in February of 2013. Which means in USUs case that John Taylor, Siua Taufa, Chase Christiansen, Ian Togiai, Jordan Hicks, Tyler Fox, and Cody Boyer could have all been counted as 2013 signees depending on how much room was remaining. Also the rule is in reference to first year players meaning that awarding a walk-on with a scholarship doesn't count toward a school's yearly 25 first year player allotment, only that awarding a walk-on with a scholarship counts toward the schools over all limit of 85. So by my count, in February of 2013 USU signed 17 players (including Fox, and Boyer) that actually signed an athletic scholarship agreement for the 2013 academic year. Danny Gray also signed later in the year, meaning that once December 2013 rolled around and we signed the remaining players listed above we had plenty of room to count those players toward our allotment of scholarships for the 2013 academic year.

Now by my count we have officially announced 17 players (unless Logan Rice grayshirts which has been discussed) that have signed since February 2014 that now count toward our 25 scholarship allotment for the 2014 academic year. Meaning that we still have plenty of room for new unannounced additions prior to the 2014 season. But conversely if all the scholarships have already been given away then I wouldn't expect too many signings during the mid December signing period. Please remember that I don't have all the numbers that the coaches at USU do and I am only able to keep track of and count only so many players but I hope this gives you all a rough idea of where we stand as far as remaining scholarships are concerned and how they are kept track of and counted.

15.5.6.3.2 Recruited Student-Athlete Entering after Fall Term, Aided in First Year. [FBS/FCS] A student-athlete recruited by the awarding institution who enters after the first term of the academic year and immediately receives institutional financial aid (based in any degree on athletics ability) shall be an initial counter for either the current academic year (if the institution’s annual limit has not been reached) or the next academic year. The student-athlete shall be included in the institution’s total counter limit during the academic year in which the aid was first received.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » July 23rd, 2014, 12:42 pm

The CB/Safety preview thread mentions LaRon Bennett as well. 5'11" CB from Foothill JC. Somebody met him and thought he said he was on scholarship.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » July 23rd, 2014, 1:22 pm

jackmormon wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

85=85?
You got it Jack -- but in truth the 85=85 isn't the biggest challenge because with turnover, you can backfill with walkons that have been in the program for 2 years. The real number is the 25=25. But for a better discussion, see Aggies22 post in this thread or if numbers aren't your thing, but ignore all related posts.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » July 23rd, 2014, 1:29 pm

Thanks 22, love the insights. I did see Anderson's "count sheet" once -- very cool and informative so I know they can go backward with early recruits and even forward by getting a kid to walkon in the Fall, OR not joining the team until Winter Semester, but I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the above list Not on scholarship in the Fall. As for walkons getting a scholarhsip, I believe they have to be with the team 2 years before they can receive a scholarship without counting against the 25.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2014, 1:50 pm

USUBlue wrote:Thanks 22, love the insights. I did see Anderson's "count sheet" once -- very cool and informative so I know they can go backward with early recruits and even forward by getting a kid to walkon in the Fall, OR not joining the team until Winter Semester, but I wouldn't be surprised to see many of the above list Not on scholarship in the Fall. As for walkons getting a scholarhsip, I believe they have to be with the team 2 years before they can receive a scholarship without counting against the 25.
Yes, from my understanding that is correct. Which includes a players redshirt year so technically a player that redshirts may earn a scholarship by his sophomore year.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » July 23rd, 2014, 3:45 pm

USUBlue wrote:
jackmormon wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

85=85?
You got it Jack -- but in truth the 85=85 isn't the biggest challenge because with turnover, you can backfill with walkons that have been in the program for 2 years. The real number is the 25=25. But for a better discussion, see Aggies22 post in this thread or if numbers aren't your thing, but ignore all related posts.
It was an obviously failed attempt at humor.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » July 23rd, 2014, 3:52 pm

2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. KJ Uluave
8. LT Filiaga
9. Sam Atoe?
10. Corey Waller?

We can add KJ Uluave to the list.

KJ Uluave 6'4" 200 - LB - Kahuku HS, HI - (Returning Missionary)
2010 Stats: Not Available
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=5056875
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCokCsX33wk

aspear
Been thanked: 0

Post by aspear » July 23rd, 2014, 4:08 pm

aggies22 wrote:
2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. KJ Uluave
8. LT Filiaga
9. Sam Atoe?
10. Corey Waller?

We can add KJ Uluave to the list.

KJ Uluave 6'4" 200 - LB - Kahuku HS, HI - (Returning Missionary)
2010 Stats: Not Available
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p= ... id=5056875
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCokCsX33wk
Nice! maybe he can add depth at TE?

slcagg

Post by slcagg » August 3rd, 2014, 3:53 pm

2. Tyler Floyd
3. Damion Hobbs
4. David Moala
5. Andrew Rodriguez
6. Tonny Lindsey
7. LT Filiaga
8. Sam Atoe?
9. Corey Waller?

Good to see Moala is on the list. Although I think he is still waiting on some of his jc coursework. Maybe he'll be like Chuck Jacobs, where he doesn't start practicing till midway through fall camp or Butler last year.

Be interesting in practice to see who is there and also to see if Butler and JoJo are practicing...etc

SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by SasquatchAggie » August 4th, 2014, 9:25 am

DJ Nelson is back from his mission and will be at practice tomorrow.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » August 4th, 2014, 9:34 am

SasquatchAggie wrote:DJ Nelson is back from his mission and will be at practice tomorrow.
Wow really? I didn't know that.

Bulls On Parade

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 4th, 2014, 9:50 am

I understand DJ will be grayshirting this season, and I know Damion Hobbs will be redshirting but still can't believe all of the QB's we are filling up the roster with. That makes what, 8?! How do you even get that many QB's reps, practice, and proper attention and coaching?
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on August 4th, 2014, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 4th, 2014, 10:03 am

I just can't imagine that DJ will ever be a serious quarterback candidate.

But, who knows?

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 4th, 2014, 11:06 am

swishh_15 wrote:I understand DJ will be grayshirting this season, and I know Damion Hobbs will be redshirting but still can't believe all of the QB's we are filling up the roster with. That makes what, 8?! How do you even get that many QB's reps, practice, and proper attention and coaching?
Hobbs redshirted last year. He'll be sitting out this year due to transfer rules.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » August 4th, 2014, 11:30 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:I understand DJ will be grayshirting this season, and I know Damion Hobbs will be redshirting but still can't believe all of the QB's we are filling up the roster with. That makes what, 8?! How do you even get that many QB's reps, practice, and proper attention and coaching?
Hobbs redshirted last year. He'll be sitting out this year due to transfer rules.

Same thing, that's what I meant. Regardless of how you title it the effects are still the same. Except he is forced to sit out rather than having the option to remove the redshirt it. He will still be playing quarterback in practice, working on his game, and working with the coaches to improve his QB skills. Him and 7 other guys...

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 4th, 2014, 11:42 am

ag4fr wrote:I'll just say a few comments about DJ.

1. I have never met a more fiery competitive guy that will lead a team vocally and by his work and effort on and off the field. The kid is the best locker-room influence you could ever ask for. Constantly building up his team and building their confidence.

2. Somehow, someway, DJ can totally take over a game. I have seen him do it time and time again. You look at him (5-9 and 175) and think, there is just no way, but the kid finds a way to get it done. I have watched lot of HS football in my life and I have never seen an individual performance like the state 4A semi-final game against Bountiful. I think he only accounted for something like 700 yards.

3. I know many Aggies might not be sold on the kid due to a number of things, but I would never sell him short and I would say, expect to be pleasantly surprised by DJ Nelson.

Do you think he could be a slot receiver or defensive back?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 4th, 2014, 12:28 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:

Same thing, that's what I meant. Regardless of how you title it the effects are still the same. Except he is forced to sit out rather than having the option to remove the redshirt it. He will still be playing quarterback in practice, working on his game, and working with the coaches to improve his QB skills. Him and 7 other guys...
Hopefully at least one will be gone, and I think you know the one I mean swish haha

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 4th, 2014, 12:48 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:DJ Nelson is back from his mission and will be at practice tomorrow.
Was he supposed to be back in time for this season? I can't remember when he left.

aggies22

Post by aggies22 » August 4th, 2014, 1:06 pm

treesap32 wrote:
Was he supposed to be back in time for this season? I can't remember when he left.
I have him listed with the 2015 commits because it was my understanding that he would likely grayshirt the 2014 season.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » August 4th, 2014, 1:49 pm

aggies22 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:
I have him listed with the 2015 commits because it was my understanding that he would likely grayshirt the 2014 season.
So I guess this means that he cannot enroll this semester, nor can he participate in practices, correct?

Locked Previous topicNext topic