Interesting Stuff

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
hickaggie

Interesting Stuff

Post by hickaggie » July 24th, 2014, 9:58 am

I had a long conversation with a guy from Fiji who lives in Logan and is very close with the team and particularly the polynesian players. He' s a huge fan but a Rugby guy so his take on schematic stuff and changes was limited. A couple things of interest I got from him were:

1. The guy knew Andersen personally and he came over to his house occasionally because it is a Polynesian hangout. The level of loyalty and love for him was amazing. When he left for Wisky it was more devastationg that what we thought. Wells is very highly respected but the team and every one around it misses Andersen. Its a credit to Wells that he has maintained and strengthened Polynesian recuiting. Things could have gone very badly if an outsider who didn't have the experience and trust of this group had taken over.

2. The guy also had a mutual name basis relationship with Wagner and Turbin and thougth the world of their character and their promotion of Utah Sate.

3. The Polynesian community in Logan has rallied around these kids and they are a huge part of our success in getting kids here. As a result it has resulted in a positive off the field bond within the group that is just incredible. Its hard to imagine how difficult the adjustment is.

4. The gneral vibe I got was that this team is grounded, but quietly very confident and excited They believe they are better on the O-line and expect a monster year from Chuckie.

JSHarvey

Re: Interesting Stuff

Post by JSHarvey » July 24th, 2014, 11:01 am

Excellent information, thank you for passing it on.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » July 24th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Good intell. Thanks.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » July 24th, 2014, 2:19 pm

hickaggie wrote:I had a long conversation with a guy from Fiji who lives in Logan and is very close with the team and particularly the polynesian players. He' s a huge fan but a Rugby guy so his take on schematic stuff and changes was limited. A couple things of interest I got from him were:

1. The guy knew Andersen personally and he came over to his house occasionally because it is a Polynesian hangout. The level of loyalty and love for him was amazing. When he left for Wisky it was more devastationg that what we thought. Wells is very highly respected but the team and every one around it misses Andersen. Its a credit to Wells that he has maintained and strengthened Polynesian recuiting. Things could have gone very badly if an outsider who didn't have the experience and trust of this group had taken over.

2. The guy also had a mutual name basis relationship with Wagner and Turbin and thougth the world of their character and their promotion of Utah Sate.

3. The Polynesian community in Logan has rallied around these kids and they are a huge part of our success in getting kids here. As a result it has resulted in a positive off the field bond within the group that is just incredible. Its hard to imagine how difficult the adjustment is.

4. The gneral vibe I got was that this team is grounded, but quietly very confident and excited They believe they are better on the O-line and expect a monster year from Chuckie.
Damn. If we are better on the O-line this year... that would be nice.

Chuckie just needs to be and stay healthy, the rest will take care of itself.

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » July 24th, 2014, 2:41 pm

We have an O-line this year that is heavy on polynesian players and we have some horses. Look at the photos of these guys in the fall guide. I look forward to seeing these guys grade some road. Not sure about our depth and one tackle looks a little light, but the O-line actually looks like it could be a strength. As Wells has said, alot depends on how they come together and communicate, etc. I like their chances. I don't think we will be over-matched by Tennessee one bit on the O-line; it could very well be the opposite.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » July 24th, 2014, 2:52 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
hickaggie wrote:I had a long conversation with a guy from Fiji who lives in Logan and is very close with the team and particularly the polynesian players. He' s a huge fan but a Rugby guy so his take on schematic stuff and changes was limited. A couple things of interest I got from him were:

Our OL was nothing to write home about last year. I sure hope we will be better. Plenty of room for improvement. I think Simonich is better than anybody we had on the line last year with the exception of Larsen. We really hurt at the G position the last two years. Haven't really been able to move people there like we need to.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » July 24th, 2014, 6:17 pm

I thought right tackle was our biggest problem last year, at least in the pass game. Utah and USC just ate us up on the right side (Schulltz) all day long.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 24th, 2014, 6:17 pm

GeoAg wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Our OL was nothing to write home about last year. I sure hope we will be better. Plenty of room for improvement. I think Simonich is better than anybody we had on the line last year with the exception of Larsen. We really hurt at the G position the last two years. Haven't really been able to move people there like we need to.
I think the worry was that the O-line should have been better last year particularly pass blocking and regressed from the year before. Obviously injuries played a part. From all accounts Weber is a recruiting stud and I think it will get better.

No doubt this is our best class yet. Remember when the group we just lost came in it was Andersen's first and second recruiting classes. He was dealing with an O-Line that wasn't up to par for even FC S football. He had to take walk ons and projects and develop them which he did admirably. While they were great run blockers I think they lacked the quickness and natural athleticism that most FBS could get at the time making pass blocking against skilled rushers tough.

USU has increased significantly the level of recruits particular athletic big Polys who are naturally better athletes for their size most of the time. I love the group. Its bigger and more athletic than ever had, but we break in a new center and everyone has to learn to play together in a hostile environment. Luckily, theyve gone against our D ever since they've been here. Chuckie and the center need to mesh and teaching these new RBs how and where to block is always the hardest part. Blocking probably wasn't there preferred role in HS.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » July 24th, 2014, 6:24 pm

GeoAg wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

It wasn't bad. They had trouble with a couple of the tougher teams we played (USC obviously, and Fresno), but overall played pretty well. Replacing 4 guys, 3 of whom were on All-MWC teams and a 4 year starter at Center, is never easy.

If the new group gels and stays healthy, and our center play is close to as reliable as Larsens, then we should be good to go.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » July 24th, 2014, 6:29 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
MetsJetsAggies wrote:

It wasn't bad. They had trouble with a couple of the tougher teams we played (USC obviously, and Fresno), but overall played pretty well. Replacing 4 guys, 3 of whom were on All-MWC teams and a 4 year starter at Center, is never easy.

If the new group gels and stays healthy, and our center play is close to as reliable as Larsens, then we should be good to go.
It was the edge rush particularly on the right that killed us time and time again. They also didn't pick up basic inside outside stunts very well, not to mention the blitz. We look much more athletic on that side this year. Losing Taelevea was a huge part of the problem too.

I thought the run blocking was very good given teams willingness to crowd the line after Chuckie went down. Talivea and Whimpey were definitely missed here as well. They performed well in every game but BYU and Boise.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » July 24th, 2014, 7:06 pm

So I am softening my stance a little. Whimpey, DJ, Hill, and Chuckie going down had a huge impact on our OL numbers, even as the schedule got easier. I went back and looked at some stats I made up on this and posted a while back. I think we'll see better performance than last year if we stay healthy at key position, both on the line and elsewhere. Sorry for resurrecting a novel. For your review...

1st post:

Here's some stats. I've been working through a way to try and quantify OL performance (just for fun, yep...I'm that guy). This is pretty initial so there are likely some problems. For example, a great home run hitter in the backfield can impact these numbers positively when down field success may have more to do with WR blocking and individual moves than work from the OL. We clearly took a hit in that department this year. Also, a QB who holds the ball can negatively effect it as well. Anyway, here's my formula...

(Avg. yards per rush + % of rushing attempts resulting in a first down + percent of rushing attempts resulting in a TD)/(percent of rushing attempts resulting in a TFL + percent of passing attempts resulting in a sack + percent of passing attempts resulting in a hurry)

QB knockdowns is not an officially record stat, so I can't use that.

For context, here are the scores of a very good team and a terrible team

2012 Alabama (12-1, national champs) => 1.705
2012 NMSU (1-11, no FBS wins) => 0.620

Here are our scores for the last three seasons...
2013 USU => 0.853
2012 USU => 1.248
2011 USU => 1.366

So, huge drop-off last year with a veteran group returning. Good thing our D was awesome. What were the factors? Injuries are one. 2013 is the only year we really had to deal with injury on the OL (but that was to just one player). The injuries to Chuckie and Joe Hill played a roll as well because of Chuckie's escapability and Hill's run ability. 2013 was also the only season without an NFL RB in the backfield. I don't think the numbers account for that, however. We clearly under-performed (as well all suspected) on the OL last year. I would also be interested in looking at the split stats prior to the BYU game (around the time of the injuries).

Gotta turn this around for next year. Not ready to call out Weber on this yet. I need to see how these numbers look after next season.

2nd post:

So the split stats are telling. The injuries had a HUGE impact. See below...

2013 USU through SJSU game => 1.498
2013 USU overall => 0.853

We were actually performing better than 2011 and 2012 before the injuries occurred, which is what we expected with this veteran group. This could say that the injuries had a big impact. It could also say that my measurement doesn't isolate OL performance well enough. I'm going with injuries for now. Once Chuckie, Whimpey, Hill, and (very importantly) DJ went down, our OL performance went in the tank. I think DJ had a huge impact on that. So in the end, at least for me, I'm not ready to cook Weber for what could be the impact of dealing with less talent and experience in the backfield as well as at G and TE. They were playing fantastic on the OL on the whole prior to the rash of injuries.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » July 24th, 2014, 9:31 pm

I didn't remember those posts from before. Very interesting stat. I'm going to have to read through your formula some time tomorrow when I'm awake.

Locked Previous topicNext topic