3rd Down

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JSHarvey

Re: 3rd Down

Post by JSHarvey » October 8th, 2015, 3:19 pm

i understand the desire to be able to sustain a drive, but isn't a quick score better? Our team's consistent strength seems to be the defense, they seem to hold up pretty well in most games, if the offense can score and get off the field doesn't that help (fatigue wise) as the game goes on?

Now I totally get that we sometimes just hand the ball over (metaphorically - and it costs us big on occasion), but isn't it partly that a team only has so many resources and the coaches have to focus on what our team's strengths are? Meaning without big time P5 talent levels most teams just *can't* do everything well.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 8th, 2015, 3:53 pm

JSHarvey wrote:i understand the desire to be able to sustain a drive, but isn't a quick score better? Our team's consistent strength seems to be the defense, they seem to hold up pretty well in most games, if the offense can score and get off the field doesn't that help (fatigue wise) as the game goes on?

Now I totally get that we sometimes just hand the ball over (metaphorically - and it costs us big on occasion), but isn't it partly that a team only has so many resources and the coaches have to focus on what our team's strengths are? Meaning without big time P5 talent levels most teams just *can't* do everything well.
Obviously it's good to score. But fatigue-wise, it hurts more to score quickly. Offense controls substitutions so an offense is never going to fatigue as a unit like a defense can. The defense being on the field more fatigues the defense while keeping theirs fresh on the sidelines. End of the game they have a fresh offense and defense and we have a tired defense. But it isn't worth not scoring over it just to drag out a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 8th, 2015, 3:56 pm

Until CSU when have we scored quickly this year?

Donman

Post by Donman » October 8th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Elkaggie wrote:Until CSU when have we scored quickly this year?
SUU punt return

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 8th, 2015, 7:37 pm

Answer to a slightly different question, only 3/8 touchdowns this year were scored by our offense from inside the redzone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 8th, 2015, 8:40 pm

Donman wrote:
SUU punt return

I thought we were talking about the offense not special teams.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 9th, 2015, 6:31 am

Elkaggie wrote:
Donman wrote:
SUU punt return

I thought we were talking about the offense not special teams.
The relevant stat here is that we are one of the worst teams in country statistically in the number of TFLs against us on running plays. Part of this has to with the high risk/high reward nature of WR sweeps exc. but a most of them are on RB dive or read plays that are blown up in the backfield. Wells talked about it at luncheon and mainly blamed O-line and RB blocking communication.

This issue, not the averages of RBs overall, was led us to abandon the traditional run game last year. We made up for it against CSU mostly because CSU became overagressive and abandoned the QB assignment and Myers sells the read dive better than any QB I've seen.

Part of this against CSU was that they had 7, 8, 9 guys in the box. If you want to get yardage on 1st down against that type of agressive D, wouldn't some quick slants and TE stuff like that brilliantly called play to the Freshman in the second half make more sense than trying to run. Teams have the bubble screen pretty pegged. It worked great the time Robinson was uncovered which Wells made sound like was kind of an automatic check which every high school team does or did in the old days. If they're stacking the box against an already inconsistent O line then pounding it is likely to be inneffective.

Ultimately aside from the O-line communication issues the offense needs to be able to make teams pay for overloading and run blitzing on 1st and 2nd downs.

Locked Previous topicNext topic