What will be different about Weber State this year?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dyedblue

Re: What will be different about Weber State this year?

Post by dyedblue » July 9th, 2016, 10:06 pm

Weber's offense should be decent this year but their D will be lousy. If they have the same FG kicker as last year he is very good.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 10th, 2016, 9:02 am

I don't like to predict before I even see a play into the season. Last year was terrible. There was a lot of excitement, and that game just killed it.

WILDCAT

Post by WILDCAT » July 13th, 2016, 6:36 am

dyedblue wrote:Weber's offense should be decent this year but their D will be lousy. If they have the same FG kicker as last year he is very good.

Weber had the #1 overall defense in the Big Sky last year and are returning all but like 2 players on D. Overall Weber has like 18 returning starters from last year's team which was a missed field goal away from making the playoffs.

Weber's weakness is at QB, he can run, but his passing skills leave much to be desired.

The real difference in this matchup compared to the last one is the quality of the teams on the field.

Weber will be better than 2013, and I think USU will be worse than 2013, however that wont matter much and I still predict a USU win 38-21

35-7

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » July 13th, 2016, 1:08 pm

WILDCAT wrote:
dyedblue wrote:Weber's offense should be decent this year but their D will be lousy. If they have the same FG kicker as last year he is very good.

Weber had the #1 overall defense in the Big Sky last year and are returning all but like 2 players on D. Overall Weber has like 18 returning starters from last year's team which was a missed field goal away from making the playoffs.

Weber's weakness is at QB, he can run, but his passing skills leave much to be desired.

The real difference in this matchup compared to the last one is the quality of the teams on the field.

Weber will be better than 2013, and I think USU will be worse than 2013, however that wont matter much and I still predict a USU win 38-21

I really have no opinion of Weber State, I wouldn't have anything bad or good to say about them. But fans like this ^^ make me like them. They are actually informed and didn't come to just troll people and have a pretty realistic outlook. You have made a friend Mr WildCat

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 13th, 2016, 1:09 pm

Agreed about the 2013 observations, but we are facing 2016 now from a disappointing AGGIE perspective and an optimistic Wildcat point of view. Typically these matches are about depth and skill positions, which generally plays out in the second half . Weber State has an improving program and should be a test, but hopefully not the test SUU gave us last year. Watch for the Wildcats to perform well in the Big Sky this season.

Decent comments by "WILDCAT" and look for more of his insight.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » July 13th, 2016, 3:26 pm

NavyBlueAggie wrote:Agreed about the 2013 observations, but we are facing 2016 now from a disappointing AGGIE perspective and an optimistic Wildcat point of view. Typically these matches are about depth and skill positions, which generally plays out in the second half . Weber State has an improving program and should be a test, but hopefully not the test SUU gave us last year. Watch for the Wildcats to perform well in the Big Sky this season.

Decent comments by "WILDCAT" and look for more of his insight.
Agreed. I don't know a lot about Weber either and am not looking past them at all, learned that last Year. I'm not making any predictions after last Season. Too many Holes to fill and too many new Coaches. I'm not sure what to expect. Most of us think Bread and Butter run Game, improved secondary but who knows? Hopefully it'll be good but I'm really not banking on a 8 win season. I'd be happy to get to another Bowl, even the Tater would be OK after last Years disappointment.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » July 13th, 2016, 5:59 pm

Understand about getting to one of the ubiquitous no name bowl games if only to practice the non starters a bit for a couple of weeks to prep for the 2017 season. The Spud Bowl is not something I have any interest in as I don't fancy paying to travel to and be cold to watch a bowl game.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » July 14th, 2016, 9:13 pm

Weber checks in at #23 in the FCS preseason poll.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggies For Life
Troll
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aggies For Life » July 15th, 2016, 3:25 pm

dyedblue wrote:Weber checks in at #23 in the FCS preseason poll.
They could give us trouble.

This is my signature.

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » July 15th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
Could but probably won't. Before you say SUU, hear me out:

1. Ags are picked 4th in Mtn division. In other words, picked to suck. That should serve up some motivation for the players. There is no hype this year, so they will not be distracted.

2. Last year's opener was a disaster. They won't forget that.

3. Newly renovated stadium = New energy. Think about when we installed the new turf in 2012. It added an additional sheen to what we felt our program could become.

With a shiny new press box and look, everyone will want to be there in the stadium to see it. The players will be ready this time to put on a show knowing a good first impression can re-energize the fan base strengthen the confidence of the team.

4. DEPTH. We have way more of it than Weber State, even with our personnel losses.

Sent from my iPhone using my willpower

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » July 15th, 2016, 6:04 pm

sambonethegreat wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Could but probably won't. Before you say SUU, hear me out:

1. Ags are picked 4th in Mtn division. In other words, picked to suck. That should serve up some motivation for the players. There is no hype this year, so they will not be distracted.

2. Last year's opener was a disaster. They won't forget that.

3. Newly renovated stadium = New energy. Think about when we installed the new turf in 2012. It added an additional sheen to what we felt our program could become.

With a shiny new press box and look, everyone will want to be there in the stadium to see it. The players will be ready this time to put on a show knowing a good first impression can re-energize the fan base strengthen the confidence of the team.

4. DEPTH. We have way more of it than Weber State, even with our personnel losses.

Well said Sambone. I have no idea why some think Weber state is gonna give us a hard time. We win this game handily. Mays runs for 2 TDs and over a 100 yards. Myers runs for a TD. He throws one to one our WR or TE too. This is at minimum. We will be JUICED for this game.

I hope that our guys play with a chip on their shoulder this year. 4th in the MWC when we've been finishing in the top 3 since joining? I am just gonna sit back and hope that's our motivation to pounce! :stirpot:

Weber St: 10
Utah State: 41

I honestly don't believe our own fans even know what USU can become. Even for all the USU alumni I know, they are quite passive about USU sports. There is no doubt in my mind that if the fan base would rise up and support the program (namely football and bball) we could get quite a following, possibly the biggest following in the MWC. I realize most fans on here aren't your "casual" fan and they follow it closely. All I'm saying here is that you can't underestimate the influence of a loyal fan base!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » July 16th, 2016, 5:15 pm

I remember the first game under the lights. Great energy.

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » July 18th, 2016, 11:43 am

NVAggie wrote:I remember the first game under the lights. Great energy.
I was at that game too. Was it Baylor? We lost by a FG because after one of our TDs we got an unsportsmanlike conduct/celebration penalty pushing the PAT back 15 yards and a miss. Later we went for two to make it up and missed that. Later Baylor went for 2 to extend the lead to 3. One foul led to 3 point differential. I remember the game well but can't remember if that was the first under the lights?

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » July 18th, 2016, 12:13 pm

That would be the game to which I am referring.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » July 18th, 2016, 12:20 pm

I give Weber plenty of credit. Utah State will need to play a very good game to win. I look forward to a well fought game by both teams.

#hornsup!

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » July 18th, 2016, 1:24 pm

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
I hope that our guys play with a chip on their shoulder this year. 4th in the MWC when we've been finishing in the top 3 since joining? I am just gonna sit back and hope that's our motivation to pounce! :stirpot:

Well, actually there was only one team that had a worse record than us in the mountain division of the MWC last year, not really sure how that puts us in the top 3 of the whole conference.

This is my signature.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » July 18th, 2016, 2:29 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:

Well, actually there was only one team that had a worse record than us in the mountain division of the MWC last year, not really sure how that puts us in the top 3 of the whole conference.

Um obviously I wasn't referring to last year. I mean since we have joined we have continuously been near the top of the MWC. Did you seriously think I was referring to last year? Wtf? :wtf:

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » July 18th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:

Um obviously I wasn't referring to last year. I mean since we have joined we have continuously been near the top of the MWC. Did you seriously think I was referring to last year? Wtf? :wtf:
Is last year not one of the years we've been in the MWC since joining?

This is my signature.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » July 18th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:

Is last year not one of the years we've been in the MWC since joining?
I believe the word is called "implied". Good grief!

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » July 18th, 2016, 4:50 pm

We were just a couple plays away from finishing in the top third of the conference again. I think we'll do better this season than some think.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » July 18th, 2016, 7:12 pm

Not trying to be harsh, but the fact that Weber is an FCS school and someone made a thread about "what to expect" just shows how out of touch some are. They're an FCS school... :wtf:

Why not make a thread of what to expect about a school from our conference? Much more relevant, IMO.

WILDCAT

Post by WILDCAT » July 19th, 2016, 9:36 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:Not trying to be harsh, but the fact that Weber is an FCS school and someone made a thread about "what to expect" just shows how out of touch some are. They're an FCS school... :wtf:

Why not make a thread of what to expect about a school from our conference? Much more relevant, IMO.

So is North Dakota State...

I'm by no means saying Weber is North Dakota State caliber, that would be a whopping lie, but I'm pretty sure fans from Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado State, Kansas State, and Iowa State all said the same thing about the Bison.

The talent level between the higher FCS ranks and the lower FBS ranks is dwindling, the biggest thing that separates the two is depth. FBS teams are allowed more scholarships.

Again, I am in no way claiming Weber is gonna go into Logan and whupp up on the Aggies, I'm 80% sure that wont happen.

35-7

coolag

Post by coolag » July 19th, 2016, 9:46 am

I am one of those fans that think no team should ever overlook any of their opponents, however if the aggies lose to Weber State on their home field Matt Wells should be fired immediately.

Regulator of Class

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » July 19th, 2016, 9:48 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:Not trying to be harsh, but the fact that Weber is an FCS school and someone made a thread about "what to expect" just shows how out of touch some are. They're an FCS school... :wtf:

We almost lost to SUU (an FCS school) last year... Washington State is a PAC 12 school that won 9 games last year. You know how they started that season?? With a loss to Portland State (an FCS school).

IMO, every game you play following a 6-7 season is relevant.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » July 19th, 2016, 9:51 am

WILDCAT wrote:

So is North Dakota State...

I'm by no means saying Weber is North Dakota State caliber, that would be a whopping lie, but I'm pretty sure fans from Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado State, Kansas State, and Iowa State all said the same thing about the Bison.

The talent level between the higher FCS ranks and the lower FBS ranks is dwindling, the biggest thing that separates the two is depth. FBS teams are allowed more scholarships.

Again, I am in no way claiming Weber is gonna go into Logan and whupp up on the Aggies, I'm 80% sure that wont happen.
Yeah, and last year, one P5 team lost to an FCS team the week before nearly beating a #1 ranked team(in FBS). And even a 3-7 FCS team was a missed 2 point try away from beating another P5 team that went to a bowl and later nearly beat another team ranked #1(in FBS) at the time.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » July 19th, 2016, 11:00 am

I sure do remember the first year when former FCS school UNR joined the Big West.
In 1992, Nevada became the first NCAA football team to win a conference championship in its first Division I-A season. Nevada won the 1992 Big West Conference title after beating Utah State in the final conference game of the season. Led by Vargas again coming off the bench, Nevada came from behind late in the 4th quarter to win, 48–47.
And then another heartbreaker loss in Romney to UNR the following year. My point is that USU hasn't established it's program to the point of justifying arrogance over any squad just because that squad is FCS. USU is still vulnerable to a good FCS team.

posted via telepathy

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » July 19th, 2016, 11:21 am

WAaggieFan wrote:

I sure do remember the first year when former FCS school UNR joined the Big West.
In 1992, Nevada became the first NCAA football team to win a conference championship in its first Division I-A season. Nevada won the 1992 Big West Conference title after beating Utah State in the final conference game of the season. Led by Vargas again coming off the bench, Nevada came from behind late in the 4th quarter to win, 48–47.
And then another heart breaker loss in Romney to UNR the following year. My point is that USU hasn't established it's program to the point of justifying arrogance over any squad just because that squad is FCS. USU is still vulnerable to a good FCS team.

Agreed, Lest we forget the Southern Utah game..... Utah state needs to play well and fight hard. I respect Weber.

posted via telepathy

#hornsup!

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 19th, 2016, 12:00 pm

2004AG wrote:Because most of his passes are within about 3 yards of the line of scrimmage. He's not gonna win many games with his arm.
This video would seem to discount the myth you have stated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqnle4AWvnY

Many of these passes are exactly what the so-called "West Coast" Offense calls for-- controlled passes within the first 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage. And when he needs to, he can air it out. He has 10 wins in 13 starts as an Aggie? Correct me if that's wrong. But that's a 76% winning percentage. I think I'll take that every time. Over all, he ranked fourth in the Mountain
West with his 16 passing touchdowns (1.79 pg). Overall, he led the team in both completions (121) and attempts (199) on the season for 1,593 yards and 16 passing touchdowns, all of which were career highs. On the season, he set a career high in passing efficiency (151.56). Against Air Force (11/14), he set single-game career highs with 25 completions, 47 attempts, 364 yards and four touchdowns. He set a school single-game rushing record for a quarterback with his 191 yards against Colorado State (10/3) as he was named the Mountain West Offensive Player of the Week. Overall, he ranked second on the team with his 356 rushing yards. I'm not a big fan of the style. But you can't deny that the results are definitely there. I wanted to see Chuckie succeed as much as anybody last year because of all he meant to the program's rise. But having said that, what could we have done if Myers had played the whole season once Chuckie went down? I think we may have won more games than we did (we'll never know).

As Al Davis would say, all Kent Myers does is "Win baby, just win."

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » July 19th, 2016, 5:55 pm

By the way, this article appeared on Twitter today, featuring Kent Myers:

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... backs-2016

One of America's Top 25 Breakout Quarterbacks. That's heady stuff!

wsucatfan

Post by wsucatfan » July 20th, 2016, 9:19 am

The only thing WSU is going to beat USU in this year already happened with the Chapman lottery and that's because Larry rigged it in our favor. As Wildcat said our strength is our defense, but QB play has been an ongoing issue since Cameron Higgins graduated in 2010 and this year will probably be more of the same. Clark was benched multiple times last year for a freshman (Shaw from Fremont High).

Locked Previous topicNext topic