Next Year's Depth Chart/Recruiting Needs

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Next Year's Depth Chart/Recruiting Needs

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 11th, 2016, 10:50 am

Given the bleak outlook on the season I decided it's never too early to look to next year. Here's just a prediction at our depth chart next year with current players.

OFFENSE

QB) Kent Myers, Damion Hobbs, Jordan Love

RB) Tonny Lindsey, Lajuan Hunt, Justen Hervey, Morian Walker

WR) Rayshad Lewis, Braelon Roberts, Jaren Colston-Green, Ethan Cortazzo

TE) Dax Raymond, Derek Hastings, Matt Nelson

OT) Cody Boyer, Ty Shaw

OG) Preston Brooksby, Brandon Taukeiaho

C) Demytrick Ali’ifua, Andrew Chen

OG) KJ Uluave, Jarom Ione

OT) Sean Taylor, Villiamu McMoore

Slot) Gerold Bright, Jordan Nathan

WR) Ron'Quavion Tarver, Zach Van Leeuwen, Chad Artist, Alex Byers

DEFENSE

DE) Ian Togiai, Jake Templeton, Caden Anderson

NG) Chistopher Unga, Mohelika Uasike, Gasetoto Schuster

DE) Adewale Adeoye, Jacoby Wildman

LB) Derek Larsen, Logan Lee, Dalton Baker

LB) Chase Christiansen, Patrick Miranda, Chasen Andersen

LB) Alex Huerta, David Woodward, Braden Harris

LB) Justus Te’i, Mason Tobeck, Kevin Meitzenheimer

SS) Dallin Leavitt, Gaje Ferguson, Zach Swenson

FS) Jontrell Rocquemore, Aaron Wade, Braxton Gunther

CB) Jalen Davis, Makiah Gilmer

CB) Wesley Bailey, Cameron Haney

RECRUITING

Given the rule you can only sign 25 spots each season and USU currently has 6 players already committed.
From HS: OLB, S, RB/Ath, QB.
From JC: WR/slot, TE (This is Jordan Nathan and Matt Nelson who are already on the roster, but were push forwards.)

There are 19 more spots. Where do you see the priority of needs? One problem I think is that we’re hurting at LB, but we have a ton of players and a ton of youth there already so it’s hard to sign much more. At WR, RB, QB we have a ton of depth and I think we’re just going to have to roll with what we have there. There is RB out of Blinn JC (Mays’ college) we are recruiting that is tearing it up I would love to get though.

I rank our need:
1. OL (Huge need everywhere here in my opinion.)
2. CB (There is really nothing there besides the 2 deep.)
3. DL (We need some depth and bodies at those DE spots.)
4. LB (Hard to add more guys, but we need to get better here)
5. Safety (Given the injury history of guys here I think we need some depth here as well.)

Yossarian

Re: Next Year's Depth Chart/Recruiting Needs

Post by Yossarian » November 11th, 2016, 12:32 pm

I would rank runningback higher on your list. The Aggies need someone that can get the tough yards in third and short or fourth and short situations while still having the breakaway speed and quickness to break a play open. The runningbacks that have been used this year are ho-hum type guys.

Eutaw St. Aggie

rfield3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by rfield3 » November 11th, 2016, 4:58 pm

I'd like to see a JUCO LB with some speed.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » November 11th, 2016, 7:09 pm

I think with better "O" linemen, the need for grabbing a new running back is diminished. We actually have some speed and adequate size. SDSU running back Pumphrey weighed around 180 lbs and was both fast and shifty. Our Red Shirt Freshman R B Walker was highly rated during the recruiting wars and is a good get.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 17th, 2017, 8:29 am

I'm going to guess we've already picked up 3 guys who will be starting next season. I think Robert Castaneda and Quin Ficklin will be starters on the O-line. I also think at least one of Suliasi Tamaivena or Louy Compton will be a starter at Linebacker.

There are 2 junior college guys I had really hoped for that I think would've both been a huge help (Linebacker Kurtis Taufa and Running Back Deanthony Hopkins) that I don't think are going to make it. I'm not sure if it's because of academics or other reasons, but that's a little disappointing.

I think some guys have been signed that will help next season though. It's also a smaller class because 6 guys from last year were push forwards to this class (Gajkowski, Hastings, Matt Nelson, Littleton, Nathan, Mo Uasike).

aggiecat
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggiecat » January 17th, 2017, 9:21 am

I talked with Makiah Gilmer two weeks ago and he's been moved to safety for this spring.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 17th, 2017, 9:41 am

Have a little faith in next year's squad guys...I do...

There will be a lot of new faces and maybe that's exactly what the Aggies need....kids that are excited to play and will fight for their spot...I think sometimes the players get a little complacent once they think they have solidified their spot and there are some fresh faces that I'm sure will be excited to see that field

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » January 18th, 2017, 8:38 am

I think we have holes all over the board. Yes, immediate needs at LB and OL with a lot of youth at LB. I would say if you have an impact player at any position you take him now, even if we have good depth right now. I don't care if he starts this year or not, there are only so many impact players and they will either play quickly over more experienced guys or in a few years beat out those young players in the program.

Frankly I also wouldn't look for what the 2017 team needs unless you can identify 1-2 guys that can plug a hole and play first game. More so I'd look at the depth chart and see who we will be losing this year or next and make those my priorities. Looking at that I'd say we need a couple of freshmen safeties to replace Leavitt and Rocquemore, even if you think the next guys in line are good that would give the freshmen a couple of years to be ready to start by their Jr. year.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 19th, 2017, 12:22 pm

taniataylor wrote:Have a little faith in next year's squad guys...I do...

There will be a lot of new faces and maybe that's exactly what the Aggies need....kids that are excited to play and will fight for their spot...I think sometimes the players get a little complacent once they think they have solidified their spot and there are some fresh faces that I'm sure will be excited to see that field
I will have faith again if Myers takes his proper role as backup or moves to another position where we might utilize his athleticism.

taniataylor

Post by taniataylor » January 19th, 2017, 1:45 pm

Madmartigan wrote:
taniataylor wrote:Have a little faith in next year's squad guys...I do...

I will have faith again if Myers takes his proper role as backup or moves to another position where we might utilize his athleticism.
Hopefully MW makes the right calls and/or lets his position coaches do their job...it's not all on the players, if they're told to go play, unfortunately, I don't think any of them will sacrifice playing time for the good of the team.....but there will be 10 more players on that field when Myers is there, maybe the chemistry will improve and they will all want to win. I just think everyone should be supportive and ready to see what Spring ball brings......I'm personally excited & waiting to see what my son does this year....

Jordan Nathan's #1 Fan Copyright pending due to YBAs shenanigans

Blitz79

Post by Blitz79 » January 19th, 2017, 7:01 pm

How come nothing has been said here about the two new recruits. One is a WR, the otherI don't remember. :|

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 19th, 2017, 7:14 pm

Alexb wrote:How come nothing has been said here about the two new recruits. One is a WR, the otherI don't remember. :|
I'll update this after signing day is all done.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 19th, 2017, 10:20 pm

We want it to be a surprise on signing day

#signingdaynostalgia
#thankyouwells

Locked Previous topicNext topic