Aggieup 801

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
slcagg

Aggieup 801

Post by slcagg » December 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm

Per Aggieup this is Joe Tukuafu. He returned home from his mission recently. For those that don't remember Joe is TE from East who was committed to Utah for a long time and then switched his commitment. He and Dax could be a killer combination. Also hope he can convince Ula Tolutau to commit as well.

UtahStizzle

Re: Aggieup 801

Post by UtahStizzle » December 4th, 2016, 7:39 pm

Recruited to play TE as well or position change?

Sent from an original NES.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 4th, 2016, 7:47 pm

I think he would be an awesome LB.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 4th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I miss the days when we'd find great athletes and move them to positions where they could become NFL players. When was the last time we moved a player's position?

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 19th, 2016, 9:11 am

BYU fans are claiming Joe Tukuafu has flipped and has now comitted to byu with Ula Tolutau. They are close friends.

SpectrumMagic

Post by SpectrumMagic » December 19th, 2016, 9:27 am

Would be par for the course right now

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 19th, 2016, 10:07 am

I can't find anywhere that says he flipped to BYU. It wouldn't surprise me, with how many TEs we've had and how underutilized they were, I can hardly blame someone for it. I just cannot find anywhere that says he has flipped.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » December 19th, 2016, 10:50 am

Either way we know it's never a deal until it's a deal!!!

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Post by Texasaggie1 » December 27th, 2016, 8:38 pm

He is going to BYU. I think he will be a stud before his 4 years are up. I wish we could have kept his commitment.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 27th, 2016, 9:42 pm

Just love the mission president recruiting/strong encouragement along with most every Mormon he talks to telling him to be a cougar. Oh yeah, don't forget the praying for what's right.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 27th, 2016, 10:08 pm

Too bad. Going to be hard to beat kalani for the Polynesian LDS recruits.

MacAggie

Post by MacAggie » December 27th, 2016, 11:52 pm

The news just keeps getting worse for Aggies sports. It's not very fun to be an Aggie fan right now. Hopefully basketball goes on a tear in conference. I'm not holding my breath though.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 28th, 2016, 12:05 am

Huge loss imo. So does he lose a year?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 28th, 2016, 12:09 am

MacAggie wrote:The news just keeps getting worse for Aggies sports. It's not very fun to be an Aggie fan right now. Hopefully basketball goes on a tear in conference. I'm not holding my breath though.
Amen. Been feeling the same way lately. Almost feel cursed.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 28th, 2016, 12:18 am

Unreal. One of the guys I have been waiting to see in Aggie blue for a few years now. This is the kind of thing that has to stop at some point if we want to change perception. The minute BYU even looks at these Poly guys now they just flock to Provo as if it were their Mecca. It disgusts me to no end.

Texasaggie1

Post by Texasaggie1 » December 28th, 2016, 7:44 am

ElkAggie I am not sure on all the implications. My guess is that Wells will block him from going to BYU which will mean he will have to pay his own way for a year if I am not mistaken, but he still has a redshirt available? There are many on this board that know all those details.

It was a lot easier to argue against Bronco than Sitake over which institution had a better poly family environment.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » December 28th, 2016, 8:09 am

Commit or signed Loi?

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » December 28th, 2016, 8:41 am

WAAggie wrote:Just love the mission president recruiting/strong encouragement along with most every Mormon he talks to telling him to be a cougar. Oh yeah, don't forget the praying for what's right.
WAAggie, so true. That's a tough hurdle to get over when recruiting LDS kids. I get reality, but what ever happened to a person's word (and that goes for coaches, players, and everyone else.) I know, I'm just naive. Bronco used to tell his recruits that a commitment is like a marriage, but he had no trouble breaking up someone else's marriage.

I just hope we're bringing back the culture of 4-5 years ago. That will do more than any Tukuafu.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » December 28th, 2016, 12:49 pm

Texasaggie1 wrote:ElkAggie I am not sure on all the implications. My guess is that Wells will block him from going to BYU which will mean he will have to pay his own way for a year if I am not mistaken, but he still has a redshirt available? There are many on this board that know all those details.

It was a lot easier to argue against Bronco than Sitake over which institution had a better poly family environment.
Not sure Wells has any such power, if Tukuafu didn't enroll as a full-time student before his mission. I won't copy it here, but the applicable rules are in 13.1.1.3 in the NCAA Division I Manual here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D117.pdf

A school can contact another school's athlete without permission if the student withdraws from the school with which it signed the LOI, but only after one academic year after the withdrawal. Tukuafu signed an LOI in 2014 per our signing day release, but then left on his mission and was away for at least one academic year. The Riley Nelson rule (13.1.1.3.3.1) is an exception to this rule, and allows contact without permission only after one academic year after completion of the mission during which the athlete doesn't attend any collegiate institution. But it only applies if the athlete attends as a full-time student before the mission. (The Church's change to allow missionaries to serve at 18 and after HS graduation takes some of the starch out of the Riley Rule, as others have noted.)

Correct me if I've gotten this wrong, anybody.

Nobody here knows anything.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » December 28th, 2016, 12:57 pm

OKAggie wrote:
Texasaggie1 wrote:ElkAggie I am not sure on all the implications. My guess is that Wells will block him from going to BYU which will mean he will have to pay his own way for a year if I am not mistaken, but he still has a redshirt available? There are many on this board that know all those details.

Not sure Wells has any such power, if Tukuafu didn't enroll as a full-time student before his mission. I won't copy it here, but the applicable rules are in 13.1.1.3 in the NCAA Division I Manual here: http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... s/D117.pdf

A school can contact another school's athlete without permission if the student withdraws from the school with which it signed the LOI, but only after one academic year after the withdrawal. Tukuafu signed an LOI in 2014 per our signing day release, but then left on his mission and was away for at least one academic year. The Riley Nelson rule (13.1.1.3.3.1) is an exception to this rule, and allows contact without permission only after one academic year after completion of the mission during which the athlete doesn't attend any collegiate institution. But it only applies if the athlete attends as a full-time student before the mission. (The Church's change to allow missionaries to serve at 18 and after HS graduation takes some of the starch out of the Riley Rule, as others have noted.)

I believe Tukuafu signed a new LOI this month, and then flipped to BYU. Making it so he will have to sit out next year.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » December 28th, 2016, 3:03 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
OKAggie wrote:

I believe Tukuafu signed a new LOI this month, and then flipped to BYU. Making it so he will have to sit out next year.

Careful. The Utah poly connection is very tight. Playing hardball with one of them could come back to bite for years. Wells has already lost favor in the eyes of the Utah poly kids, and this would make it hard to recover from. Andersen built the program around the poly kids. We have all but lost that now.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » December 28th, 2016, 5:16 pm

That has more to do with Sitake than it does Wells. Maile still is very reputable among the poly community. I wish Wells would reach out to Jeff Kaufusi and try and get him on staff in some form or another.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » December 28th, 2016, 8:13 pm

It's not like we use our TEs anyway. :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall:

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 3rd, 2017, 4:25 pm

My zoob "friend" told me today that we were not releasing Joe Tukuafu. I never really understood why it is seen as "petty". It isn't uncommon for a school to deny a release to an in-state rival. I don't quite know what is going on. I haven't heard it from anywhere else but that is what he said is dominating BYU Twitter today.

I don't know- but based on what I do know and based on my expectations:

If he didn't attend school, and what is said is correct, then can we really block him? If Swish is correct and Tukuafu signed, that'll do it. It also leads me to believe that there was some form of undue influence. If Wells believes Sitake indirectly or directly tampered, that would also be a reasonable reason why he would want to block the transfer.

I also don't understand why people are so lenient on adults. If he is an RM he is 20 or 21 years old. That is an adult. That is someone who is old enough to be a leader on most teams. Men make commitments. Men keep commitments.

This is also why I think the recruiting downside is overblown. There isn't a coach in the country that will say "leave whenever you want to wherever you want". A coach sitting in your living room expects that if you are going to commit, you commit. Regardless of whether or not Tukuafu ever stepped foot on campus, we held a roster spot open for him- and that is one less person who actually wants to be here that will be able to come- that to me is deeply disrespectful. Football players know this. They know that when they commit to play for the Aggies, they are committing to play for the Aggies.

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » January 3rd, 2017, 5:00 pm

Did Dallin Leavitt receive a release when he transferred?

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 3rd, 2017, 5:48 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:Did Dallin Leavitt receive a release when he transferred?
Yes, but Dallin at least gave it a shot at BYU. If this kid actually signed on the 4th as suggested in this thread (and as would be required if Wells can actually not release Tukuafu.- and then in less than a month wants to leave?

There is a difference in someone leaving for a new job after a year versus leaving for a new job after 3 weeks. When I was in grad school, a top 5 public university- there were several employers who stopped recruiting at our school because kids would accept an offer and sign, and then renege.

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » January 3rd, 2017, 6:07 pm

What benefit does Wells get by not releasing Tukuafu? If the kid was gonna leave, he was gonna leave. Not releasing him just penalizes the kid, right? That roster spot would still be open regardless if he was released or not, right? I at least see why not granting a release could be seen as petty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tetonkatest

Post by Tetonkatest » January 3rd, 2017, 6:28 pm

Imakeitrain wrote:
BearLakeMonster wrote:Did Dallin Leavitt receive a release when he transferred?
Yes, but Dallin at least gave it a shot at BYU. If this kid actually signed on the 4th as suggested in this thread (and as would be required if Wells can actually not release Tukuafu.- and then in less than a month wants to leave?

There is a difference in someone leaving for a new job after a year versus leaving for a new job after 3 weeks. When I was in grad school, a top 5 public university- there were several employers who stopped recruiting at our school because kids would accept an offer and sign, and then renege.
I think it actually makes more sense for Wells to grant a release to a kid that has never even enrolled at USU before. The kid basically has no ties to USU, and is intent on transferring. A player that has already enrolled at USU knows the scheme and can tip off his new team---there's the reason to maybe block a transfer.

Why make Tukuafus life more difficult, and risk offending the Polynesian community. There is little to be gained by this situation that I can see.

Maybe BYU has some players that will want to transfer, and who can help USU out?

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 3rd, 2017, 7:23 pm

No one would be talking if release was granted. Don't know if it is good or not, but playing out the Collette situation at least let Utah know we were on to them and won't be pushed around in terms of tampering. Same thing with Riley. How does the kid flip a month after he signs? Makes no sense unless there is tampering.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » January 3rd, 2017, 7:49 pm

Polys can understand commitment. BYU and Utah had both "offended Polys" in the past 3 years w/o any real consequences. The bottom line is if a kid is offended by someone being held to their word and are concerned with how to leave we shouldn't want him. If we are failing with poly kids it will be far deeper than this one incident.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » January 3rd, 2017, 10:41 pm

Every coach has this fear about recruiting lds kids. Per NCAA isn't any 'booster' prohibited to talk byu football to players committed elsewhere. Since mission presidents and all lds members are boosters, all byu talk would be tampering.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 4th, 2017, 12:48 am

I don't believe he actually re-signed. Somehow, I understand his prior LOI was still binding. Not sure how, but it doesn't matter anyway. Wells should let him go regardless as he hasn't even ever been enrolled. Wells is just being a jerk IMO and making things more difficult for himself and whoever comes after him.

This is a completely different animal that the Collette case, which I supported. Wells is wrong on this one.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » January 4th, 2017, 9:54 am

GeoAg wrote:I don't believe he actually re-signed. Somehow, I understand his prior LOI was still binding. Not sure how, but it doesn't matter anyway. Wells should let him go regardless as he hasn't even ever been enrolled. Wells is just being a jerk IMO and making things more difficult for himself and whoever comes after him.

This is a completely different animal that the Collette case, which I supported. Wells is wrong on this one.
It's my understanding that he did sign the LOI. I really don't care either way, but the kid is more than welcome to go to BYU no matter what its just now a matter of getting his school paid for.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 4th, 2017, 10:43 am

ratofallaggies wrote:
GeoAg wrote:I don't believe he actually re-signed. Somehow, I understand his prior LOI was still binding. Not sure how, but it doesn't matter anyway. Wells should let him go regardless as he hasn't even ever been enrolled. Wells is just being a jerk IMO and making things more difficult for himself and whoever comes after him.

It's my understanding that he did sign the LOI. I really don't care either way, but the kid is more than welcome to go to BYU no matter what its just now a matter of getting his school paid for.
Striking similarities between our two big gets of that signing year; neither of whom stepped onto campus. Both signees are Polynesian. Sunia Tauteoli had a Utah offer out of Snow and chose USU. He signed his LOI then something happened and he decided USU wasn't for him. He transferred to Utah and now starts there. He would've been by far our best LB this year. It was a major coup signing Joe Tukuafu. He had a Utah offer out of neighboring East, signed with USU, and then also got cold feet and transferred to the other instate option. I've heard whisperings that Wells is not highly thought of in the Poly community. The evidence is starting to sway me that there might be something to that.

As for Wells blocking Joe T's tranfer, I don't like it. If he doesn't want to be at USU no sense in punishing him for leaving. If he did sign his LOI off his mission, you have to wonder what the hell happened.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 4th, 2017, 11:03 am

I'm torn on this one. On one hand, I do find it petty and it doesn't really prevent the kid from making the decision to leave. On the other hand, it really sucks to invest so much into a kid over a minimum of 3 years, hold a roster spot for them, not recruit for that position with the understanding that they will be filling it, and then watch them walk away at the first opportunity that BYU feels like they need to go shopping for returned missionaries at USU to fulfill their needs.

I have no problems with not granting him a release because the guy has shown his lack of integrity by signing an agreement (twice) and then breaking it. He has to have signed a new LOI recently after returning home from his mission or this wouldn't even be an issue. I am not sure what kind of message this sends to potential Utah HS recruits that plan on a mission and may consider committing to the Aggies prior to leaving. Honestly it seems to mean less and less to get commits from these mission bound recruits because they are sent off for two years to live in a situation where they are completely surrounded by the same organization that owns/runs BYU. Like most returned missionaries (especially those that did not attend college prior to leaving) they have probably changed over those 2 years and the BYU coaches understand that. The problem in this case is that BYU coaches got to him a bit late upon his return home.

What really needs to happen in cases like this is the school needs to be punished for tampering but it will never happen because this goes on every day and has been for years.

Locked Previous topicNext topic