Initial reactions from press conference

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AGGZILLA

Initial reactions from press conference

Post by AGGZILLA » March 30th, 2015, 11:19 am

Just curious what everyone else's reactions are to TD. I've never heard him speak before. After hearing the first 10 minutes of the presser, my initial thought is I think he's going to give Dave Rice a run for his money. Seems like a really nice guy, and time will tell if he's a capable head coach, but hearing him talk is the anti-GA or MW.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

aceofspadeskb

Re: Initial reactions from press conference

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 30th, 2015, 11:20 am

I liked what he said about changes to come. In particular, scheduling.

parkrob78
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by parkrob78 » March 30th, 2015, 11:22 am

This is not a "neat" day for Aggie Hoops.

whiteboykevin

Post by whiteboykevin » March 30th, 2015, 11:22 am

Scheduling would be a great place to start

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 30th, 2015, 11:25 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:I liked what he said about changes to come. In particular, scheduling.
I agree with this, but I wish someone in the press would ask for him to go in detail of "how" he will change the scheduling philosophy.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » March 30th, 2015, 11:26 am

The Gossner is happening this year but will then be replaced with a bigger "event" type tournament.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 30th, 2015, 11:27 am

AGGZILLA wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:I liked what he said about changes to come. In particular, scheduling.
I agree with this, but I wish someone in the press would ask for him to go in detail of "how" he will change the scheduling philosophy.
They just did. Sounds like he would like to get into one of the nicer national events. He mentioned tourneys in Hawaii, puerto rico, virgin islands.

kofdog

Post by kofdog » March 30th, 2015, 11:32 am

ProvoAggie wrote:The Gossner is happening this year but will then be replaced with a bigger "event" type tournament.
Wait, so we have a chance to not end it with a lose?

coolag

Post by coolag » March 30th, 2015, 11:33 am

My reaction:

Regulator of Class

Floppy Hat
Pick'em Champ - '15,'19 FB Predict the Score; '17 Kickoff; '18 Weekly; '19 Bowl

Post by Floppy Hat » March 30th, 2015, 11:38 am

- I was disappointed that he spent so much time talking about the past and Stew. I feel like we spent the last half of the season remembering Stew and he should be focused on moving on. Stew was great, but use the time you have to tell us about your plan.

- I was excited to hear him talk about more "event" type games. He referenced national TV and some specific pre-season tournaments.

- He could have been more specific in talking about changes to game planning instead of just referencing a shorter shot clock and needing to play with any pace.

- I want some staff changes, so hearing him talk about keeping the majority is disappointing to me. He and Coach Felton are flying to Miami tonight, so it sounds like Tarvish is hanging around. I was hoping Tarvish would be moved to a different position in the AD and two new assistants could be brought in...someone with some fresh recruiting skills. I am hoping Coach Jones will stay on staff, but he probably has some other things playing out (i.e.: UVU job).

-Overall, I was hopeful for some fresh ideas and the press conference didn't reveal much along that theme.

- Go Aggies!!!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 30th, 2015, 11:40 am

Seems to me that this was a Legacy hire. No one wanted to follow Stew so they took the guy who had been here the longest. If it all works out, we will have a guy in place that will be here for a very long time. If it doesn't work out, hopefully the powers that be pull the plug quickly. There will be no excuses for not winning immediately. The real barometer will be conference play.

LittleJohn

Post by LittleJohn » March 30th, 2015, 11:41 am

The press conference was a lot like the hire - UNREMARKABLE! I am done.

tinyelvis

Post by tinyelvis » March 30th, 2015, 11:47 am

Floppy Hat wrote:- I was disappointed that he spent so much time talking about the past and Stew. I feel like we spent the last half of the season remembering Stew and he should be focused on moving on. Stew was great, but use the time you have to tell us about your plan.

- I was excited to hear him talk about more "event" type games. He referenced national TV and some specific pre-season tournaments.

- He could have been more specific in talking about changes to game planning instead of just referencing a shorter shot clock and needing to play with any pace.

- I want some staff changes, so hearing him talk about keeping the majority is disappointing to me. He and Coach Felton are flying to Miami tonight, so it sounds like Tarvish is hanging around. I was hoping Tarvish would be moved to a different position in the AD and two new assistants could be brought in...someone with some fresh recruiting skills. I am hoping Coach Jones will stay on staff, but he probably has some other things playing out (i.e.: UVU job).

-Overall, I was hopeful for some fresh ideas and the press conference didn't reveal much along that theme.

- Go Aggies!!!
The head coach of Utah State is getting on a plane to go recruit in Florida? Imagine that?

coolag

Post by coolag » March 30th, 2015, 11:47 am

Jesse Parker for Assistant Coach! Why not? He was a towel boy just a few years ago. This is not how I expected to feel after the new hire was announced. Depressing.

Regulator of Class

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » March 30th, 2015, 12:07 pm

coolag wrote:Jesse Parker for Assistant Coach! Why not? He was a towel boy just a few years ago. This is not how I expected to feel after the new hire was announced. Depressing.
Brian Green. I would love to see that little gremlin have free reign on the sideline.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » March 30th, 2015, 12:10 pm

I guess I was watching another press conference. I thought TD did a great job, and I'm surprised that no one is mentioning the story he told about the temple lady.... c'mon that was funny!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » March 30th, 2015, 12:20 pm

ummm...AWKWARD.

Soft spoken - check
Emotional - check
Talks in circles - check
Says a lot without saying anything - check
Reminisce about the past - check

Lots of Dave Rice qualities. Let's hope the similarities end once he steps onto the sidelines.

First time in history that someone told a story about putting someone's name in the temple during an athletic press conference? :shock:

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » March 30th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Well his press conference was better than Barnes after the NCAA field was announced so there is that.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 30th, 2015, 12:28 pm

In his first fifteen minutes as head coach, Duryea has indicated that we will

- phase out the Gossner
- try to play in event-type tournaments, naming Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Hawaii
- try to schedule more national opponents in TV-type games
- play more up-tempo

If everyone who had posted and griped about these four issues over Stew's tenure would contribute $10 to the AD for each such gripe, we could build a new arena.

Duryea's been doing the scheduling for years (but subject to Stew's philosophy), so he knows what's out there. Now that he's his own man, I expect we'll see more of the kind of scheduling we've been screaming for.

He was obviously emotional and a little nervous out of the gate, but I thought he hit his stride by the end. I loved his line "this isn't my alma mater, but it's my university", and his obvious affection for the community where he's raised his family. Big if, but if he's as successful as Stew, my guess is he'll retire from here as well (which I would doubt if it had been, say, Tommy Connor or Ben Howland). And his Temple Lady anecdote was a gentle shout-out from a non-Mormon to the LDS portion of the fan base.

Second guess if you will, but I thought he made a good first impression. Now let's see what he does with it.

Nobody here knows anything.

freakboy

Post by freakboy » March 30th, 2015, 12:29 pm

Aglicious wrote: First time in history that someone told a story about putting someone's name in the temple during an athletic press conference?
Wow! if that Was TD, then he certainly knows how to talk the talk in CV.

tinyelvis

Post by tinyelvis » March 30th, 2015, 12:30 pm

OKAggie wrote:In his first fifteen minutes as head coach, Duryea has indicated that we will

- phase out the Gossner
- try to play in event-type tournaments, naming Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, Hawaii
- try to schedule more national opponents in TV-type games
- play more up-tempo

If everyone who had posted and griped about these four issues over Stew's tenure would contribute $10 to the AD for each such gripe, we could build a new arena.

Duryea's been doing the scheduling for years (but subject to Stew's philosophy), so he knows what's out there. Now that he's his own man, I expect we'll see more of the kind of scheduling we've been screaming for.

He was obviously emotional and a little nervous out of the gate, but I thought he hit his stride by the end. I loved his line "this isn't my alma mater, but it's my university", and his obvious affection for the community where he's raised his family. Big if, but if he's as successful as Stew, my guess is he'll retire from here as well (which I would doubt if it had been, say, Tommy Connor or Ben Howland). And his Temple Lady anecdote was a gentle shout-out from a non-Mormon to the LDS portion of the fan base.

Second guess if you will, but I thought he made a good first impression. Now let's see what he does with it.
And then he tells everybody he is headed out to recruit. I am on board.

tinyelvis

Post by tinyelvis » March 30th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Aglicious wrote:ummm...AWKWARD.

Soft spoken - check
Emotional - check
Talks in circles - check
Says a lot without saying anything - check
Reminisce about the past - check

Lots of Dave Rice qualities. Let's hope the similarities end once he steps onto the sidelines.

First time in history that someone told a story about putting someone's name in the temple during an athletic press conference? :shock:
Did this staff not show everybody that they could coach this year? Put a fork in Stew. He has been done for sometime now. How can anybody dispute the coaching job this year?

Now, get rid of a couple of guys and bring in a couple of hidden gems and you could be golden.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » March 30th, 2015, 1:09 pm

I'm serious. Many of you guys are talking like you have crystal balls. IF YOU HAVE ONE, PM ME SO I CAN ASK YOU SOME QUESTIONS. I'd be happy to split any earnings with you. Also, while we're at it we can donate a hundred million or so to USU. Knowing the future is going to earn us A LOT of money.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

GUS

Post by GUS » March 30th, 2015, 1:17 pm

Is there a site that to see a replay of the press conference? Wasn't able to watch it, but would like to.

SaintAggie

Post by SaintAggie » March 30th, 2015, 1:19 pm

Themw.com has it.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 30th, 2015, 1:26 pm

NVAggie wrote:Well his press conference was better than Barnes after the NCAA field was announced so there is that.
Does anyone have a link to Barnes's interview? I was unable to see it on TV.

LiveLifeLoud

Post by LiveLifeLoud » March 30th, 2015, 1:32 pm

I like how he called out to the students. I'm really hoping he works with the HURD to try and fill that student section again. Honestly, I can't help but cheer for the guy to do well. If he doesn't, so be it. But I sure hope he does. He's the kind of person who I would like to see as a representative for Utah State (as long as the program is progressing, that is).

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » March 30th, 2015, 1:38 pm

I thought he did okay. I liked the change in scheduling philosophy, but it sounds like we won't see that this year (he said we're still playing the Gossner and that the schedule was mostly done).

I can't understand why we'd be recruiting another wing player--that seems like the position we need the LEAST, especially if Dusan makes it. We already have a log-jam on the wings with JoJo, Smith, Moore, and Pearre.

Still not loving the hire.
Last edited by ineptimusprime on March 30th, 2015, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 30th, 2015, 1:39 pm

treesap32 wrote:
NVAggie wrote:Well his press conference was better than Barnes after the NCAA field was announced so there is that.
Does anyone have a link to Barnes's interview? I was unable to see it on TV.
Just keep in mind it's NSFW and you should operate heavy machinery for at least 2 hours afterwards.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » March 30th, 2015, 1:53 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:I thought he did okay. I liked the change in scheduling philosophy, but it sounds like we won't see that this year (he said we're still playing the Gossner and that the schedule was mostly done).

I can't understand why we'd be recruiting another wing player--that seems like the position we need the LEAST, especially if Dusan makes it. We already have a log-jam on the wings with JoJo, Smith, Moore, and Pearre.

Still not loving the hire.
He said we still have three or four games to fill. If one of them is a TV game on the road against a HITM opponent, well, that would be great. Two would be better.

Nobody here knows anything.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » March 30th, 2015, 1:57 pm

What I liked about the press conference;
- He seemed excited to be an Aggie and to have this opportunity
- Scheduling should see a change. I don't care so much about OCC now that we are in the MWC, but to see us in more tournaments with "national television" is a welcomed change for me.
- That he is starting to recruit tonight
- Aware that some changes will need to be made on the offense (more uptempo)
- Paid his respects to Stew

What I did not like;
- That he wants to keep all the staff together (translation - more of the same as far as recruiting and connections go)
- Way too much time on Stew
- The tears
- Not directly answering anything
- That we only really need to recruit a guard/wing player (seriously??)
- The temple story and how grateful he is for those that got him his job today
- Everything Scott Barnes said in the opening - he's a great guy, has been a good AD, but is a horrible tap dancer.

Overall I am terrified that we are going to take a good program that has been lagging a bit and make it worse. He didn't do anything to make me feel more comfortable with this hire. To me it sounded like scheduling should change, recruiting will not, and the staff will only change if his hand is forced by them getting other jobs. I want upward momentum, not, "Hey if you have liked where we have been for the past few years you're in luck. We are great on the bigs, just need to sure up some wing spots and keep our fabulous recruiting ties and staff we have had". I was hoping for a better presser, but not expecting it.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » March 30th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Chupamedia wrote:
Overall I am terrified that we are going to take a good program that has been lagging a bit and make it worse. He didn't do anything to make me feel more comfortable with this hire. To me it sounded like scheduling should change, recruiting will not, and the staff will only change if his hand is forced by them getting other jobs. I want upward momentum, not, "Hey if you have liked where we have been for the past few years you're in luck. We are great on the bigs, just need to sure up some wing spots and keep our fabulous recruiting ties and staff we have had". I was hoping for a better presser, but not expecting it.
Thanks for the detailed summary.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » March 30th, 2015, 2:06 pm

He said they'd look at adding another "guard". Not necessarily wing. Could be a pg.

In the post we have Collette, Moore, Evans, and Jones. Sure, it would be nice to get an upgrade over any of those guys, or possibly move Moore to the wing (if he can guard there), but I don't see any immediate alarm in that area.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » March 30th, 2015, 2:10 pm

treesap32 wrote:He said they'd look at adding another "guard". Not necessarily wing. Could be a pg.

In the post we have Collette, Moore, Evans, and Jones. Sure, it would be nice to get an upgrade over any of those guys, or possibly move Moore to the wing (if he can guard there), but I don't see any immediate alarm in that area.
I agree with this. Honestly I feel our team is pretty set for next year, with maybe the exception of a PG. That's can be good for Tim or bad for Tim. He has no excuses to not finish top 4.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » March 30th, 2015, 2:18 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
treesap32 wrote:He said they'd look at adding another "guard". Not necessarily wing. Could be a pg.

I agree with this. Honestly I feel our team is pretty set for next year, with maybe the exception of a PG. That's can be good for Tim or bad for Tim. He has no excuses to not finish top 4.
If Moore is staying at the 4 and Collette is staying at the 5 then both need to hit the weights this off-season. Evans needs to find 2 inches of height. If he thinks we're set in the post then he believes Grayson Moore and Massenburg are good enough.

Locked Previous topicNext topic