Thoughts on a new stadium

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Re: Thoughts on a new stadium

Post by aggies22 » February 16th, 2017, 11:02 am

dhilk3785 wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:I have seen connecting a football and baseball stadium on a smaller scale in Grand Jct., Co. I am sure it could work here if planned properly.
Just looked that up, very interesting design. Definitely see how it works in baseball/football, though they'd have to make it more of a concourse area with two separate suite boxes to work for football/basketball I think. Very doable though, assuming they dig down for the court, rather than build up around it.

Entrance

Football Side

Baseball Side
Nice to see that Stocker Stadium finally has a turf field, absolutely hands down one of the worst grass fields I have ever played on. I'm pretty sure Hickaggie will agree.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » February 16th, 2017, 7:43 pm

They have made a lot of additions to those stadiums since I resided there in the 90s.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 17th, 2017, 10:37 am

I think paying for a new basketball stadium is ridiculous. The Spectrum meets our needs just fine today. I would much rather spend that money on coaching salaries, a larger football stadium, or heaven forbid, actual academics elsewhere on campus.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

bpd

Post by bpd » February 17th, 2017, 10:55 am

I don't think increasing football capacity should be a priority. When we sell out the stadium every game for two years, you can start talking. Building a new basketball stadium does seem really expensive. How are you going to pay for it? Wyoming renovated their basketball stadium and kept playing in it. Why can't we do the same? Those are the questions I have. I do agree that we should start spending on basketball though.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 17th, 2017, 11:26 am

GeoAg wrote:I think paying for a new basketball stadium is ridiculous. The Spectrum meets our needs just fine today. I would much rather spend that money on coaching salaries, a larger football stadium, or heaven forbid, actual academics elsewhere on campus.
There really isn't a reason to pay coaches more than we do, unless we start losing them to peer institutions.

If Wisconsin, Oregon State, USC, whoever, wants one of our coaches, they are gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 17th, 2017, 11:26 am

bpd wrote:I don't think increasing football capacity should be a priority. When we sell out the stadium every game for two years, you can start talking. Building a new basketball stadium does seem really expensive. How are you going to pay for it? Wyoming renovated their basketball stadium and kept playing in it. Why can't we do the same? Those are the questions I have. I do agree that we should start spending on basketball though.
I 100% agree with this. Until we can actually completely sell out Maverik Stadium, why make any more renovations to it or add seating? Until us fans are selling it out consistently, upgrades should be an unequivocal NO for Maverik Stadium. I would much rather get better coaches and pay them more if that's an option instead of facility upgrades. (Minus my thoughts on having blue chairs, not barf colored ones. A relatively small upgrade, but every bit worth having blue chairs without a doubt IMO.)

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 17th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Maverik_Aggie wrote:
bpd wrote:I don't think increasing football capacity should be a priority. When we sell out the stadium every game for two years, you can start talking. Building a new basketball stadium does seem really expensive. How are you going to pay for it? Wyoming renovated their basketball stadium and kept playing in it. Why can't we do the same? Those are the questions I have. I do agree that we should start spending on basketball though.
I 100% agree with this. Until we can actually completely sell out Maverik Stadium, why make any more renovations to it or add seating? Until us fans are selling it out consistently, upgrades should be an unequivocal NO for Maverik Stadium. I would much rather get better coaches and pay them more if that's an option instead of facility upgrades. (Minus my thoughts on having blue chairs, not barf colored ones. A relatively small upgrade, but every bit worth having blue chairs without a doubt IMO.)
Because when the next shift in conferences comes in 5 or so years, we need to be equipped to make the move in order to be included. Hence the emphasis put on needing to immediately get back to our winning ways next season. Less than 7 wins a season isn't going to get it done.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm

More money for basketball coaches as well as football. Stadium size matters more in football than other sports because it has been used in the past to try and draw a delineation between divisions. That will never be an issue with the Spectrum.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

SectionFaggie

Post by SectionFaggie » February 21st, 2017, 8:17 pm

Name that venue: " A total of 14 luxury suites stretch across the west side of the facility, overlooking both the basketball court and the football field. " (Wikipedia entry)

So, yes, it can be done and has been done. Should USU do it? That answer is above my grade.

The venue answer? OkState's Gallagher-Iba and Boone-Pickens.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 21st, 2017, 10:16 pm

GeoAg wrote:More money for basketball coaches as well as football. Stadium size matters more in football than other sports because it has been used in the past to try and draw a delineation between divisions. That will never be an issue with the Spectrum.
The current basketball coaching staff does not deserve more money. If they have a great season next year than I would be happy to give them a raise. I would focus on saving money for their replacement at this point. We definitely don't need a new basketball arena. The Spectrum is great. New blue seats would be good, but otherwise it is a fine venue.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 22nd, 2017, 1:33 pm

usufan5477 wrote:BUILD A NEW ONE. RECRUITS LOVE HAVING NEW FACILITIES.
Totally. Duke (1940) and Kansas (1955) might actually attract some decent recruits with new facilities.

FWIW, there are 87 DI basketball programs in the country with arenas as old or older than the Spectrum (1968), including Washington (1927), Butler (1928), Cal (1933), Wichita St. (1955), Georgia Tech (1956), Virginia Tech (1962), Illinois (1963), Georgia (1964), UCLA (1965), Michigan (1967), Purdue (1967), Notre Dame (1968), and Alabama (1968).

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 22nd, 2017, 1:55 pm

ChicAggie wrote:
Totally. Duke (1940) and Kansas (1955) might actually attract some decent recruits with new facilities.

FWIW, there are 87 DI basketball programs in the country with arenas as old or older than the Spectrum (1968), including Washington (1927), Butler (1928), Cal (1933), Wichita St. (1955), Georgia Tech (1956), Virginia Tech (1962), Illinois (1963), Georgia (1964), UCLA (1965), Michigan (1967), Purdue (1967), Notre Dame (1968), and Alabama (1968).
How many of those arenas have been renovated though. You have UCLA listed but they recently completed a 2.5 year, $136 Million renovation that pretty much makes it like a new arena. They were also displaced for part of that time...I think they had to play some games at USC. It may have been originally built in 1965 but it isn't a 1965 arena anymore.

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » February 22nd, 2017, 7:03 pm

No. No no no no no no. No.

The Spectrum is an icon (well.. locally and maybe regionally speaking at least), replacing it would be a mistake. Changing it you could maybe sell me on, but I love the bright seats being right at the sideline. If you must throw money at something that's already good, upgrade little things on it like concessions, the promenade, bathrooms.. stuff like that. Do not build a new stadium until an earthquake renders the current one structurally deficient.

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » February 22nd, 2017, 7:32 pm

Like everyone else, I have countless fond memories of the Spectrum that include watching basketball games and playing volleyball matches. But I have a vague memory of having a discussion with someone in-the-know when I was a student 15 years ago about renovations and the biggest hindrance to renovations being the current building codes we would have to meet, even if we just wanted to switch out chairs to new colors. As I recall, the steepness and size of the stairs, narrowness of the chairs, and limited legroom would not meet current codes. I may not be remembering this conversation correctly, but if I am the only option is to build new because the cost of bringing the Spectrum up to current codes would likely equal the cost of building new.

Building new would definitely result in some loss of the magic the Spectrum holds but a lot of it could be recaptured through winning. When a new venue is built (my optimism of renovations is not very high even if building code issues do not exist) it will most likely be done in a way that will make it a viable venue for non-athletic events. The potential revenue generated from concerts alone would be too valuable to pass up.

FeartheFro

Post by FeartheFro » February 22nd, 2017, 7:38 pm

The spectrum is our Wrigley field, Fenway, Augusta. Make concourse changes, keep the seats, lose weight or stand. It can be a magical place, and what I personally consider to be the best basketball viewing venue in the US.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 22nd, 2017, 9:08 pm

FeartheFro wrote:The spectrum is our Wrigley field, Fenway, Augusta. Make concourse changes, keep the seats, lose weight or stand. It can be a magical place, and what I personally consider to be the best basketball viewing venue in the US.

The Spectrum is WAY nicer than Wrigley. That being said, the leg room is a pretty big issue for a lot of people. I can fit in the seats width wise but I'm constantly hitting people with my knees and I'm sure it's annoying. It's even worse down on the front row. I like that the fans are right on top of the court but I think it needs to be improved if just by a couple of inches.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » February 23rd, 2017, 9:45 am

ProvoAggie wrote:
FeartheFro wrote:The spectrum is our Wrigley field, Fenway, Augusta. Make concourse changes, keep the seats, lose weight or stand. It can be a magical place, and what I personally consider to be the best basketball viewing venue in the US.

The Spectrum is WAY nicer than Wrigley. That being said, the leg room is a pretty big issue for a lot of people. I can fit in the seats width wise but I'm constantly hitting people with my knees and I'm sure it's annoying. It's even worse down on the front row. I like that the fans are right on top of the court but I think it needs to be improved if just by a couple of inches.
Fun fact. There are 3 different sizes of seats in the Spectrum. An inch of width difference in each. One of my season tickets happens to be a narrow seat...I've never actually sat in them because of this.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 23rd, 2017, 10:39 am

ProvoAggie wrote:While a full renovation of the Spectrum would put the team without a place to play for a few years, I don't see why it couldn't be broken down into phases. BYU ripped the concrete out of the Marriott Center and redid the seating in an off season. What if we started there. Then the next year work on raising the ceiling. Then the 3rd year do concourse work. It would make the Spectrum unavailable during the offseason for camps and other events but I think it could be done.

If they do replace the arena I will definitely miss it but I won't miss the legroom.

Provo Aggie raises valid points. To build a completely new arena is price prohibitive with the costs in todays economy. A staged upgrade of the Spectrum could well be the answer we need. If parking is an issue then shuttles would trump the millions of dollars to construct a new arena east of the Maverick.

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 23rd, 2017, 10:47 am

NavyBlueAggie wrote:If parking is an issue then shuttles would trump the millions of dollars to construct a new arena east of the Maverick.
Or, if cost is an issue, then Trump would shuttle the millions of dollars necessary to construct a new arena east of the Maverick as part of his "infrastructure" plan.

Shuttles would trump, Trump would shuttle. Either way.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 23rd, 2017, 10:52 am

I would love to tear down Aggie Village and make it a parking lot/tailgating area.

Aggiestyle

Post by Aggiestyle » February 23rd, 2017, 3:05 pm

NVAggie wrote:I would love to tear down Aggie Village and make it a parking lot/tailgating area.
That is a good idea. Student housing is becoming more available off campus, it appears to me that these privately-owned apartment complexes could easily pick up the slack left by losing Aggie Village. It would save money and provide space for a new facility to replace the Spectrum. It could tie in with Maverick Stadium and be a beautiful complex, as has been suggested earlier on this board. But then Whadda I know, I don't have all the financial inputs etc. at my disposal.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 23rd, 2017, 4:12 pm

newhouse9 wrote:I think we'll see a new facility and once it is built, the Spectrum will come down and perhaps be replaced by a parking structure. My guess, anyway.
"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot..."

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 23rd, 2017, 4:22 pm

You don't know what you got 'til it's gone.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 23rd, 2017, 5:42 pm

SectionFaggie wrote:Name that venue: " A total of 14 luxury suites stretch across the west side of the facility, overlooking both the basketball court and the football field. " (Wikipedia entry)

So, yes, it can be done and has been done. Should USU do it? That answer is above my grade.

The venue answer? OkState's Gallagher-Iba and Boone-Pickens.
Name that booster: "<Booster>'s 2016 net worth is $1B"

I may be wrong, but I don't think we have a USU equivalent of T. Boone Pickens. We probably have plenty who are millionaires multiple times over, but not many who are billionaires. And even among those with REALLY deep pockets, you don't often hear of their rabid fandom, like T. Boone Pickens. I had a friend in grad school whose family knew Pickens somehow. He once went to a wedding reception on his estate and said that the OkState football game was playing on every TV in the house throughout the reception because he was fine going to/hosting a wedding reception, but mandated there would be OkState football available to anyone who cared more/as much about it than a wedding.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » February 23rd, 2017, 10:19 pm

I love the Spectrum and have many fond memories. I'd be okay with a new building, but it better be amazing.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » February 23rd, 2017, 10:50 pm

2004AG wrote:
There really isn't a reason to pay coaches more than we do, unless we start losing them to peer institutions.

If Wisconsin, Oregon State, USC, whoever, wants one of our coaches, they are gone.
Except for we should be able to at least pay our head coach more than other schools pay their coordinators, and our coordinators more than other schools pay their position coaches.

It's understandable to have our head coach want to leave to Wisconsin's head coach, or our defensive coordinator want to leave to be Oregon State's DC, but we should at least have salaries to where someone would choose to be our OC over being a receivers coach anywhere. For instance, we once had someone choose to be OL coach at BYU over OC here, and if it doesn't work out with Wells next year(let's not get into that at least in this thread any further), there are a number of coordinators we wouldn't be able to get for head cause of salary. Gary would have left to be Urban Meyer's DC if money was what he cared about most.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 23rd, 2017, 11:39 pm

Aggie Village and the townhouses north of them are not in good shape at all. I dare say Aggie village is still in better condition than the townhouses. The townhouses have 10 to 20 years tops til they need major renovations or tore down due to exterior rot.

I'm speculating that they build new housing where the old trailer park was at then clear out the village and townhouses.

Clearing out that will create a large amount of room for an arena, parking, maybe even a baseball field. The possibilities are endless.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 23rd, 2017, 11:55 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:

How many of those arenas have been renovated though. You have UCLA listed but they recently completed a 2.5 year, $136 Million renovation that pretty much makes it like a new arena. They were also displaced for part of that time...I think they had to play some games at USC. It may have been originally built in 1965 but it isn't a 1965 arena anymore.
Duke and Kansas have both had several updates to their arena over the years including within the last decade. You brought up UCLA, and I imagine the others on his list have also had several updates to their arena. I don't know if that should be our priority at the moment, but we should always look for ways to improve, and we have of course done things in the past to improve the Spectrum. Should we do it now? Personally, if money can go anywhere, it should go to improving coaches salaries in basketball. Duryea if he turns it around next year, or to entice a new coach after next season.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » February 24th, 2017, 12:03 am

2004AG wrote:
GeoAg wrote:I think paying for a new basketball stadium is ridiculous. The Spectrum meets our needs just fine today. I would much rather spend that money on coaching salaries, a larger football stadium, or heaven forbid, actual academics elsewhere on campus.

You don't think we could have got a more proven coach 2 years ago if we paid more? It is true we are going to lose almost any coaches to a power5 school, but there are plenty of good mid-major coaches I believe we could have got had our price been higher.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 24th, 2017, 7:02 am

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
2004AG wrote:

You don't think we could have got a more proven coach 2 years ago if we paid more? It is true we are going to lose almost any coaches to a power5 school, but there are plenty of good mid-major coaches I believe we could have got had our price been higher.
Matt Wells was getting that job no matter what. Barnes wanted to hire in house and keep the program rolling in the same direction.

Locked Previous topicNext topic