Carson Shanks officially a grad transfer

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Carson Shanks officially a grad transfer

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 28th, 2017, 10:35 am

NevAggie wrote:Carson Shanks will be an Aggie again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This is talked about in the 5th year transfer thread, but I thought it deserved its own as it's likely to be big news soon.

Shanks officially announced his grad transfer on twitter. He also recently followed USU men's hoops. I think this kid might actually be coming back to Logan. I'll welcome him with open arms, but also very much hope that we're bringing in one more big man, still. I also have to wonder if this is some sort of academic scholarship type situation.

Last edited by Roy McAvoy on March 28th, 2017, 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

GordoAggie

Re: Carson Shanks officially a grad transfer

Post by GordoAggie » March 28th, 2017, 10:49 am

Aw (I can't express myself without swearing)! Tell me this aint happening!! :headscratch:

usu99

Post by usu99 » March 28th, 2017, 11:28 am

Wow, I guess he would be a step up from Barnaba??????

For all of your IT needs send me a PM!!

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » March 28th, 2017, 11:30 am

In my opinion we don't need him. It was a bad idea to recruit him in the first place and his statistics in the Big Sky are not impressive at all.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 28th, 2017, 11:40 am

thansen wrote:In my opinion we don't need him. It was a bad idea to recruit him in the first place and his statistics in the Big Sky are not impressive at all.
What if he's not taking up a basketball scholarship?

thansen

Post by thansen » March 28th, 2017, 11:49 am

Then I'm good with it.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » March 28th, 2017, 12:13 pm

The only way I'm good with him coming back, is if he is a walk-on.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » March 28th, 2017, 1:34 pm

I know it was one game but I liked what I saw from him vs. Arizona. His size helped his team climb back in the game. He is a good passer in the post and seemed to have a high basketball IQ. He would do well either as a starter or coming off the bench.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 28th, 2017, 1:49 pm

*SIGH*

I watched maybe one game this year, listened to a few on-line... I fear next year I may tune out all together... :noidea:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

usufan5477
Been thanked: 0

Post by usufan5477 » March 28th, 2017, 3:32 pm

I don't think he is good enough!

dogie

Post by dogie » March 28th, 2017, 3:56 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
NevAggie wrote:Carson Shanks will be an Aggie again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
This is talked about in the 5th year transfer thread, but I thought it deserved its own as it's likely to be big news soon.

Shanks officially announced his grad transfer on twitter. He also recently followed USU men's hoops. I think this kid might actually be coming back to Logan. I'll welcome him with open arms, but also very much hope that we're bringing in one more big man, still. I also have to wonder if this is some sort of academic scholarship type situation.

I just took the time to read the Tweet and realized that, although he has announced his departure from North Dakota, there is nothing in it to suggest that he will be returning to USU.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » March 28th, 2017, 3:58 pm

If he doesn't have a scholarship and he rarely plays because we have four players at his position that are way better than him, then welcome back!

thansen

Post by thansen » March 28th, 2017, 4:14 pm

In all fairness I think that Carson is better than Janicek. However, I'm not sure about Stahl because I have not seen him play yet. I think Taylor and Dargenton are better than Carson but probably not "way better".

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » March 28th, 2017, 4:21 pm

dogie wrote:
I just took the time to read the Tweet and realized that, although he has announced his departure from North Dakota, there is nothing in it to suggest that he will be returning to USU.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

dogie

Post by dogie » March 28th, 2017, 4:32 pm

BearLakeMonster wrote:
dogie wrote:
What are you trying to say?
:headscratch:

thansen

Post by thansen » March 28th, 2017, 4:35 pm

I think what he is trying to say is that Carson transferring back to Utah State is "FAKE NEWS".

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » March 28th, 2017, 4:54 pm

I would love to get a 6'10 Center who will get us 18 points, 11 boards, 2 blocks per game who wanted to be here... I'd also like a Murcielago and to be married to Margot Robbie with a kitchen staff who made me Kobe beef steak tacos every night...

But, what I have is an old Tacoma, whoever happens to swipe right on tinder- and burnt chicken nuggets. I could have a worse life.
We could have a worse center.

thansen

Post by thansen » March 28th, 2017, 5:24 pm

Imakeitrain wrote: We could have a worse center.
Janicek is bad enough. Any 5 that puts forth less effort and is less skilled than Janicek is not worth pursuing. As I said before Shanks is a step up from Janicek.

Cuchelain

Post by Cuchelain » March 28th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Sweet! We finally got the Aircraft Carrier!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » March 28th, 2017, 5:44 pm

thansen wrote:In all fairness I think that Carson is better than Janicek. However, I'm not sure about Stahl because I have not seen him play yet. I think Taylor and Dargenton are better than Carson but probably not "way better".

I know a lot of people on here are holding out hope that Stall is the answer to USU's problems in the post. For me, I have seen far too many big men that have suffered lower leg injuries (knee, ankle, and foot) that never fully recover or suffer re-injury and eventually fizzle out. I think it is a very long shot that Stall becomes an impact 4/5 position player in the MWC. I would love to be wrong, but biomechanics and history tell me not to get my hopes up.

Eutaw St. Aggie

scotlandog

Post by scotlandog » March 28th, 2017, 7:59 pm

Yossarian wrote:
thansen wrote:In all fairness I think that Carson is better than Janicek. However, I'm not sure about Stahl because I have not seen him play yet. I think Taylor and Dargenton are better than Carson but probably not "way better".

I know a lot of people on here are holding out hope that Stall is the answer to USU's problems in the post. For me, I have seen far too many big men that have suffered lower leg injuries (knee, ankle, and foot) that never fully recover or suffer re-injury and eventually fizzle out. I think it is a very long shot that Stall becomes an impact 4/5 position player in the MWC. I would love to be wrong, but biomechanics and history tell me not to get my hopes up.
I would agree with this and had the same thoughts on Stall until I saw him warming up at the conference tournament. He was moving really well, he was jumping so high that he had to duck his head from hitting the rim. He looked very agile. Stark contrast from the exhibition game when he could barely move. I think Stall has recovered fully and will be a factor next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 28th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Shanks is an improvement over any big we have on our roster, I've watched him play Weber a couple of times and didn't feel like we missed out on much.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 29th, 2017, 12:52 am

Interesting college career path Mr Shanks has taken. Welcome back to the fold.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 29th, 2017, 1:58 am

Yossarian wrote:

Agreed this is highly unlikely. With the incoming talent of Brown, and hopefully 3 more years of Mcewen and Merrill, our coaching staff needs to recruit over the rest of the current team. I really like the upside of Dargenton, however at best with Spencer Nelson's tutelage, he is a MWC back-up at the moment. I would love him to reach a higher potential.

As for other people we have they should be counseled out or move to 2nd/3rd string, provided we get the talent needed. I would love to see our assistant coached draw on their connections nationally and pick up some athletic talented JC transfers who can be better than what we witnessed last year or D2/D3 players. (I have no clue about recruiting rules between D1, D2/ D3. If it's legal all players should be on the list of options.

This is Duryea's last chance to save his career as a HC, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but executing consistent improvement was underwhelming to say the least. I'm grateful for Barnaba's efforts, however, he wasn't D1 talent, I'm glad he's transferring and hope the best for him. Taylor and Janicek are bench role players at this level.

What about Talent from Europe and Australia?? Are our coaches even looking outside the US where there are good players?? Ie Fifa under 18 world teams. I am thankful for the updates those of you give us who live in northern utah. The rest of us who live 1000+ miles away want to stay engaged etc. I also support holding the AD office/and HC of the Basketball and Football programs accountable to exceeding expectations. We need to raise the bar and expect significant improvements in the near future.

I also recommend amending contracts with coaches in the future where there is more latitude for requested changes by the school board of directors, Ad office, and Alumni associations. The situation our athletics contracts with Wells and Duryea should be avoided in the future.

usufan5477

Post by usufan5477 » March 29th, 2017, 10:53 am

What do you mean by the contracts should be changed in the future?

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » March 29th, 2017, 3:16 pm

dogie wrote: What are you trying to say?
:headscratch:
Can you see what I'm saying?
[youtube][/youtube]

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

nswaggie

Post by nswaggie » March 29th, 2017, 7:44 pm

scotlandog wrote:
Yossarian wrote:

I would agree with this and had the same thoughts on Stall until I saw him warming up at the conference tournament. He was moving really well, he was jumping so high that he had to duck his head from hitting the rim. He looked very agile. Stark contrast from the exhibition game when he could barely move. I think Stall has recovered fully and will be a factor next year.
^^this
I had the same experience. I watched Spencer working out the bigs before the SD State game. Stall was by far athletically superior to any of our other bigs.

NathanVC

Post by NathanVC » March 31st, 2017, 4:16 pm

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » March 31st, 2017, 4:19 pm

NathanVC wrote:Wow, he's coming back: https://twitter.com/CarsonShanks05/stat ... 7732489216
Nathan, it's great to have you around here. You run an awesome website. :cheers:

thansen

Post by thansen » March 31st, 2017, 4:25 pm

NathanVC wrote:Wow, he's coming back: https://twitter.com/CarsonShanks05/stat ... 7732489216
Is this "FAKE NEWS"?

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » March 31st, 2017, 4:34 pm

NevAggie is a prophet of sorts...

I.M.Noone

Post by I.M.Noone » March 31st, 2017, 4:46 pm

It must be April 1st.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » March 31st, 2017, 6:11 pm

I don't know a lot about him basketball wise, but here's an article that sets him apart character wise:

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4019440-u ... ll-program

dogie

Post by dogie » March 31st, 2017, 6:37 pm

The big question now is if he is on scholarship.

mnprepsdude

Post by mnprepsdude » March 31st, 2017, 6:54 pm

Relax everyone. The old man is payin for this one. Go Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic