My take on what is happening

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SLB

Post by SLB » November 21st, 2017, 12:45 am

This was a horrible game, but here are some things about the game.
The Good
Sam Merrill had 23 points and was good but far from perfect
Brock Miller had 15 points and shoot the ball well but made freshmen mistakes
Brown Jr. had 13 points and 15 rebounds but committed 5 PFs and 5 TOs
Brito continue his double digit point streak at 12 points and drew 4 fouls and was shooting the 2's 5/8 and committed less fouls than the rest of the team. (3 of the 4 fouls were at the end of the game to help us to come back)
The Bad
The free throw shooting of Brito, Taylor, and Porter combine for 3-12, and Brito's free throw shooting needs to improve.
The 21 turnovers was the biggest reason that we lost. Brown Jr., Miller, and Merrill made a combine total of 11 TOs which is bad. Ainge, Taylor, and Dargenton combined made 5 TOs in limited playing time.
Our 4 forwards outside of Brown Jr. combine stat line in 51 minutes was 15 points 8 rebounds 3 assists 5 TOs. Just a lack of anything from our forwards.
What happen to Isby?
Ainge committed 1 PF and 1 TO in 2 minutes against PSU
Porter was just not good. Porter scored 1 point, and Brito again had to take over.
3 point shooting outside of Merrill, Brown Jr., and Miler was 0-8.
Our total assist number was 10 assists for the whole team
Our 3 back-up guards combine stat line was 26 minutes 0-5 on FGs, 0-4 on 3s, 1-3 on FTs, 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 5 PFs, 2 TOs, and 3 steals.
Our rebounding sucked
Brito being in the good column is a reflection of bad our team played today.
My take after recent games.
The injuries have serious done serious damage to this team. Having no NJ meant that Brown Jr was by himself at the forward position. Stall needs more playing time.
Porter's and Ainge's stat line over the last 2 games combine for 40 minute of 0-6 from the field, 1-3 on FTs, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, 8 PFs, and 3 TOs.
Brito's stat line over the last 3 games combine for 67 minutes of 11-24 from the field, 2-10 on 3s, 2-7 on FTs, 11 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 4 PFs, and 3 TOs. Brito has won the last guard spot by outplaying Ainge and Porter.
Miller, Brito, and Brown Jr. seem to be improving.
No Isby, Pearre, and McEwen makes it difficult for us.
Duryea is on a burning hot seat right now because we expect better basketball. Losing to Portland State and Weber State is bad.

Chatman

Re: My take on what is happening

Post by Chatman » November 21st, 2017, 5:25 am

My take: bad coach

Good coach and you would have a contender with this group.

thansen
Has thanked: 0

Post by thansen » November 21st, 2017, 7:36 am

My take on last night: All around $h!++y basketball. We handed them the game with turnover after turnover and a lack of defensive rebounds. We struggled to break the full court press. If we continue to play like this we might as well join the Big Sky conference where we may finish a little above 9th place. Our ONLY offensive game plan which Timmy D broadcasts to all our opponents is to shoot a lot of 3 pointers. We have no inside presence and now that Koby is out rarely even penetrate.

If we end up letting Duryea go we may want to consider Portland State's head coach, Barret Peery (He's from Utah.), as a potential candidate for the Utah State Head Coaching job. Below is his bio:

http://www.goviks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=609&path=mbball

bucky

Post by bucky » November 21st, 2017, 8:25 am

Did isby play

TheConspirator
Been thanked: 0

Post by TheConspirator » November 21st, 2017, 8:26 am

The one other guy with potential to penetrate is Isby and he was benched in the 2nd half.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 21st, 2017, 10:26 am

There is not college team on the planet that doesn't have serious problems when missing their number 1 and number 2 PG. That happens to also be true in a league called the NBA. Add me to the list of folks that is concerned about a lack of good post players but the current injury situation is almost fatal. Any evaluation or take on what is happening that doesnt factor in our PG situation is completely missing the boat.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 21st, 2017, 11:26 am

I think that is fair. Without a fully healthy team, we may not be seeing the full potential of this group. I don't think that should be used as an excuse for Duryea, but I do think we should consider it when deciding how to react to the losses.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 21st, 2017, 11:32 am

gomretat wrote:
November 21st, 2017, 10:26 am
There is not college team on the planet that doesn't have serious problems when missing their number 1 and number 2 PG. That happens to also be true in a league called the NBA. Add me to the list of folks that is concerned about a lack of good post players but the current injury situation is almost fatal. Any evaluation or take on what is happening that doesnt factor in our PG situation is completely missing the boat.
So then what excuse do we use to explain away the problems when we had the #1 and #2 PG?

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 21st, 2017, 11:39 am

So do we have a prognosis on McEwen's injury and/or a timeline on when (or if) he will return?

Eutaw St. Aggie

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » November 21st, 2017, 11:44 am

swishh_15 wrote:
gomretat wrote:
So then what excuse do we use to explain away the problems when we had the #1 and #2 PG?
Unfortunately only Aggie football and basketball teams have injuries. Every other team in the country has perfect health.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thansen

Post by thansen » November 21st, 2017, 11:49 am

Even with injuries there is no excuse for the losses against Weber State and Portland State. We should have won both of those games regardless.

Once our players heal we will be a much stronger team, no doubt. Our younger players are getting some playing time and experience under there belts which will make our team deeper and stronger when we head into conference play.

Does anyone know what's going on with Isby or how long McEwen is expected to be out?

bleu

Post by bleu » November 21st, 2017, 2:44 pm

I won't blame the start of this season on injuries. Injuries happen, and frankly, we should be able to beat Portland State with our second and third units alone.

BUT

I will say, that with Koby and Julion (who's injury has been remarkably overlooked), we're closer than we were vs Gonzaga, and there's not a chance we lose last night's game. Add Norby into the mix, and this is an entirely different team. Brito hasn't been great, but he's been decent while stepping from third-string point guard to starter. Though I certainly agree that things need to change as far as effort and scheme go, and it's been a very frustrating start.

Again, there is truly no excuse to lose to Portland State, and I'm not trying to make one. But this group has been dealt a tough hand of cards, missing what I would argue is three of their four most important players.

thansen

Post by thansen » November 21st, 2017, 2:52 pm

bleu wrote:
November 21st, 2017, 2:44 pm
I won't blame the start of this season on injuries. Injuries happen, and frankly, we should be able to beat Portland State with our second and third units alone.

BUT

I will say, that with Koby and Julion (who's injury has been remarkably overlooked), we're closer than we were vs Gonzaga, and there's not a chance we lose last night's game. Add Norby into the mix, and this is an entirely different team. Brito hasn't been great, but he's been decent while stepping from third-string point guard to starter. Though I certainly agree that things need to change as far as effort and scheme go, and it's been a very frustrating start.

Again, there is truly no excuse to lose to Portland State, and I'm not trying to make one. But this group has been dealt a tough hand of cards, missing what I would argue is three of their four most important players.
IMO we're doing better without Norby. Norby didn't add much value. Stall is way more productive in 3 to 5 minutes per game than Norby was in 20 minutes per game.

aggiefan35100

Post by aggiefan35100 » November 21st, 2017, 2:57 pm

Chatman wrote:My take: bad coach

Good coach and you would have a contender with this group.
^^^^ 100%. Image

Hoopsnut

Post by Hoopsnut » November 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm

No way that a good coach would have this team competing........ missing too many important pieces. Coach k couldn’t win with this roster.

AggieHead

Post by AggieHead » November 21st, 2017, 4:16 pm

Hoopsnut wrote:No way that a good coach would have this team competing........ missing too many important pieces. Coach k couldn’t win with this roster.
No way that a good coach would have recruited this roster.

Last edited by AggieHead on November 21st, 2017, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 21st, 2017, 4:24 pm

Yossarian wrote:So do we have a prognosis on McEwen's injury and/or a timeline on when (or if) he will return?
MW doesn't comment on injuries unless they're season ending....

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » November 21st, 2017, 4:50 pm

Speaking of playing BB without a full compliment. I heard Portland State beat a MWC squad even though they didn't have their 2nd best scorer on the court.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2017, 8:52 pm

gomretat wrote:
True, but it was Portland State. I would hope we could beat them regardless. I am excited to see Koby back doing his thing and seeing where this team goes.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2017, 8:54 pm

Hoopsnut wrote:
November 21st, 2017, 4:09 pm
No way that a good coach would have this team competing........ missing too many important pieces. Coach k couldn’t win with this roster.
We lost to Portland State. I agree that once our guys are healthy we can do some good things, but the game was against Portland State. That should be a win with the team that saw the floor.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 21st, 2017, 8:56 pm

Tr0ll wrote:
November 21st, 2017, 4:50 pm
Speaking of playing BB without a full compliment. I heard Portland State beat a MWC squad even though they didn't have their 2nd best scorer on the court.
Yep. We should not be using injuries as an excuse for losing to Portland State. Obviously we are not the same team without Koby, but it was Portland State.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 21st, 2017, 10:03 pm

This team is poorly coached.

No need to make it more complicated than that.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » November 22nd, 2017, 10:46 am

Tr0ll wrote:Speaking of playing BB without a full compliment. I heard Portland State beat a MWC squad even though they didn't have their 2nd best scorer on the court.
This is just salt in the wound. PSU did not return it's top two scorers from last year and D. North was their top returning scorer from last year and he didn't even play against us. He is the 2nd top scorer in the limited games this year but he is their best returning player and will likely be the top scorer by the end of the year. We not only lost but we didn't even face a full strength squad.

gomretat

Post by gomretat » November 24th, 2017, 8:07 am

2004AG wrote:
November 21st, 2017, 11:44 am
swishh_15 wrote:
gomretat wrote:
Unfortunately only Aggie football and basketball teams have injuries. Every other team in the country has perfect health.

At least admit that who those players are and the role they play on the team makes a difference - a huge difference.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » November 24th, 2017, 9:48 am

gomretat wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
gomretat wrote:

At least admit that who those players are and the role they play on the team makes a difference - a huge difference.
Before there was a glimmer of hope that some sort of over performance might mask the ugly truth. Now that glimmer is gone.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 24th, 2017, 9:55 am

Sad. This season was over before it started.

Hoopsnut

Post by Hoopsnut » November 24th, 2017, 10:27 am

What should they do quit? It’s not like the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor! We need to fight back....... find a way to win!

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » November 24th, 2017, 11:26 am

gomretat wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
gomretat wrote:

We sucked against Weber with all but Pearre healthy. This makes us much worse, but we were bad before things started to pile up.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » November 24th, 2017, 11:43 am

dyedblue wrote:
November 24th, 2017, 11:26 am
gomretat wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
gomretat wrote:

We sucked against Weber with all but Pearre healthy. This makes us much worse, but we were bad before things started to pile up.

Pearre and our starting Center, Janicek. But the opinions of some vocal critics on this message board would have you believe that losing Janicek was a blessing. I don't share that opinion. He's not my scapegoat of choice right now.

bleu

Post by bleu » November 24th, 2017, 1:02 pm

treesap32 wrote:
November 24th, 2017, 11:43 am
dyedblue wrote:
November 24th, 2017, 11:26 am
gomretat wrote:
2004AG wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:
gomretat wrote:

Pearre and our starting Center, Janicek. But the opinions of some vocal critics on this message board would have you believe that losing Janicek was a blessing. I don't share that opinion. He's not my scapegoat of choice right now.
I'm VERY far from sharing that opinion. Janicek started to come into his own towards the end of last season, and I know he put in a ton of work over the offseason. IMO it's nearly impossible to be an elite or even really good college basketball team without a solid big man, and Norby was the closest thing we had to that. With him out, now our best wing (imo), Dargenton, is forced to start at the five.

I'm not making any excuses or putting all the blame on this, but I think Norby being out is a huge blow.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 24th, 2017, 10:59 pm

Just a quick note about Portland State, they led Duke at the half before losing by ten, today they lost to Butler by two, so the Aggie loss doesn’t look quite so bad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » November 25th, 2017, 9:57 am

Didn’t USU lead at Gonzaga for most of the 1st half and play them tight for 30 minutes before losing by 10-ish points? The same Aggies that lost to 2 of the 3 BigSky teams they faced? Including Portland State? Moral victories and losses to teams with moral victories of their own don’t impress selection committees or anyone else other than homer fans grasping at straws of hope. This squad is bad; with or without injuries. This coach is bad; with or without moral victories.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » November 26th, 2017, 8:02 pm

Good for the Aggies for getting 2 wins over the weekend. Valpo scares me, but i think we can beat byu. That would be a great win to show progress in the program and get that monkey off of our back after losing to them 5 in a row.

Donman

Post by Donman » November 26th, 2017, 11:05 pm

Portland State just beat Stanford.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 26th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Donman wrote:Portland State just beat Stanford.
#yeahbutstill

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic