Great game against Boise.

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
dyedblue

Great game against Boise.

Post by dyedblue » February 11th, 2018, 6:37 am

TD called a timeout to stop a 12-4 run to start the game. That alone should have won over the TD haters.

TD also deserves some credit for bringing Koby back from the hole he was in earlier this season. We easily could have lost him completely (mentally) and never got him back. I'm still not a fan of, or don't understand, what we are doing offensively but I am in wait and see mode with TD. Earlier in the year I had written him off as gone.

I feel like we could do some damage with half a bench. If that is because of, or in spite of Duryea I don't really care. Go Aggies!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by dyedblue on February 11th, 2018, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

TheConspirator
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Great game against Boise.

Post by TheConspirator » February 11th, 2018, 7:04 am

Look, you guys are awesome Aggies and I’m glad there are still true blue diehards like you left out there, so I really don’t want to offend any of you and I feel bad about the thread jack. It was a great win and this team of misfits has played hard.

All the other stuff about my Aggie fandom flame dying out and preferences to do or watch other things was unnecessary for this thread and meant for another discussion for another day. Hopefully enough of you can weather this storm to see it rebuilt to it’s proud state again.

Mea culpa.

Donman

Post by Donman » February 11th, 2018, 7:19 am

I think we actually have the tools to be very good next year. But you'd have had to each to have noticed.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 11th, 2018, 8:02 am

bleu wrote:Aggies lose to a decent team: This place is an absolute hotbed

Aggies beat the #1 team in the conference who is 20-4: One thread with four posts in 45 minutes
Was Wyoming a decent team? Because the board was absolutely dead after that loss. Maybe I don’t understand what ‘hotbed’ means....

Aggiealum13

Post by Aggiealum13 » February 11th, 2018, 8:20 am

Trying to watch game on Aggie website but it says out-of-market only. Does it ever get off that?

dogie

Post by dogie » February 11th, 2018, 8:29 am

bleu wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 9:40 pm
Absolutely an enormous win tonight. USU was the tougher team and fought through a ton of adversity. Crowd was great. Duryea was fantastic, especially down the stretch.

The best news - USU has a real shot at winning four of the next five.
And if the Aggies win four of the last five and finish 11-7, my best guess is that they will end the season tied with Fresno State for third place in the MWC.

Aggie-Man

Post by Aggie-Man » February 11th, 2018, 9:12 am

ChicAggie

Post by ChicAggie » February 11th, 2018, 10:15 am

Heck of a win. Koby stepping up once again. Really happy to see him proving the haters wrong. When all is said and done, I hope and expect he will go down as one of the all-time Aggie greats -- along with Merrill. Brown and Brito also came up huge. Merrill finally woke up in the 2nd half.

I had a family obligation until about halfway through the first half, then watched the rest of the game via the Chat feed. Had a nice back-and-forth with 'Sap. In a close game, sometimes I prefer to focus on the game rather than chatting. Others may feel the same, which may explain why chat was a little dead last night.

"Good is the enemy of great.” ~ Jim Collins

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » February 11th, 2018, 10:35 am

As for chat, I never really been one to chat during the game. I like no distractions when I'm watching.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 11th, 2018, 12:25 pm

ChicAggie wrote:Heck of a win. Koby stepping up once again. Really happy to see him proving the haters wrong. When all is said and done, I hope and expect he will go down as one of the all-time Aggie greats -- along with Merrill. Brown and Brito also came up huge. Merrill finally woke up in the 2nd half.

I had a family obligation until about halfway through the first half, then watched the rest of the game via the Chat feed. Had a nice back-and-forth with 'Sap. In a close game, sometimes I prefer to focus on the game rather than chatting. Others may feel the same, which may explain why chat was a little dead last night.
I prefer pretty much anything to chatting with Sap.

Hail Aggies!

sneed

Post by sneed » February 11th, 2018, 1:47 pm

Fun game. I thought the students and other fans were pretty good - Boise fans helped too.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 11th, 2018, 2:03 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
ChicAggie wrote:Heck of a win. Koby stepping up once again. Really happy to see him proving the haters wrong. When all is said and done, I hope and expect he will go down as one of the all-time Aggie greats -- along with Merrill. Brown and Brito also came up huge. Merrill finally woke up in the 2nd half.

We were going to let you come sit with us at the last game but you are officially uninvited.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » February 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

We were going to let you come sit with us at the last game but you are officially uninvited.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Damn, I love having metal bars jammed into my knees for 2 hours!

Hail Aggies!

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 11th, 2018, 5:50 pm

Congrats to the team and coaches! Best win thus far this year. Hope we can keep playing tough and roll into the tourney with some momentum. Not many teams will want to face us. If we can stay somewhat healthy, we can be dangerous. Great win!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 12th, 2018, 12:31 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
February 11th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 12th, 2018, 12:34 pm

TheConspirator wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 10:41 pm
bleu wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 10:20 pm
TheConspirator wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 9:41 pm
bleu wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 9:38 pm
Aggies lose to a decent team: This place is an absolute hotbed

Aggies beat the #1 team in the conference who is 20-4: One thread with four posts in 45 minutes
Chat was dead tonight too.
Program is just deflated beyond recognition right now. I can't remember the last time I've watched more than 10 minutes of a game, including tonight's game. The scary thing is when the diehard Aggie fans who take time out to frequent this message board are this unexcited about Aggie basketball I can't imagine what Joe Aggie Fan is going through.
What a weird time to hate on the team...
Who said anything about hating on the team? I was pointing out a fact about the state of Aggie basketball as a whole. That's great they won tonight, but some seemed to be interested in why there was no traffic on the board. I'm concerned with my own lack of interest in Aggie bball which used to be my life.
It'd be really nice if when we beat Boise, it was actually an expected loss for them, not a game that drops them from at-large consideration for the NCAA tourney because of their road loss to a lowly team.

jpswensen

Post by jpswensen » February 12th, 2018, 12:42 pm

swishh_15 wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 12:34 pm
It'd be really nice if when we beat Boise, it was actually an expected loss for them, not a game that drops them from at-large consideration for the NCAA tourney because of their road loss to a lowly team.
I think they were already listed in the First Four Out category on ESPN's Bracketology before the loss. They are still in the First Four Out category as of this morning's update.

My side projects:
Internet-connected Aggie A's: www.sports-iot.com
Physics and the Pinewood Derby: www.pinewoodphysics.com

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » February 12th, 2018, 12:42 pm

Yeah, having a sucky season is bad, but doing anything to lesson Boise’s chance at the tourney and wipe that smug grin off their coach does bring a smile to my face.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 12th, 2018, 12:45 pm

So should I be elated with this team and happy with Duryea as our coach with being ranked #125 in the country? Should I be happy with 7-6 MWC records? Is that what I should expect for USU?

I'm just trying to gauge this and see if I'm just being delusional for hoping for a coach that can consistently have USU as a top 100 bball team, or at least once every 3 years. :noidea:

I love USU and am a fan of this team and I know there's been injury problems. However, I still don't see Duryea as the long term solution and think all we're doing is delaying the inevitable and wasting an all-time backcourt.

Seems every other game there is a very vocal group whose #1 priority seems to be shoving it in people's faces that have been hard on Duryea or "negative" in general. I was ecstatic USU beat Boise. I just wish winning a game like this was expected and that we didn't have a low bar that we're all so ecstatic because losing to us meant costing them an ncaa tourney at large bid.
Last edited by Roy McAvoy on February 12th, 2018, 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm

swishhh, you should be mildly annoyed, a little tired, and irritable. If the in-conference win total gets to 12 before the tournament you can move up to "indifferent". If we win the tournament and get an auto-bid you will be forced to enter the realm of "mildly satisfied".

Let me know if you have any more questions about how you should feel. I'm here for you bruh...

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 12th, 2018, 1:12 pm

treesap32 wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 12:48 pm
swishhh, you should be mildly annoyed, a little tired, and irritable. If the in-conference win total gets to 12 before the tournament you can move up to "indifferent". If we win the tournament and get an auto-bid you will be forced to enter the realm of "mildly satisfied".

Let me know if you have any more questions about how you should feel. I'm here for you bruh...
Wow Sap, you and I are on the same page. So given your standard (mine being Top 3 finish), I will expect to go to New Mexico and win against a team that's more short-handed then we are by at least 2 or 3 players. Anything less is unacceptable.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 12th, 2018, 1:44 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 1:12 pm
treesap32 wrote:

Wow Sap, you and I are on the same page. So given your standard (mine being Top 3 finish), I will expect to go to New Mexico and win against a team that's more short-handed then we are by at least 2 or 3 players. Anything less is unacceptable.
UNM isn't really short handed anymore, according to their last game box score. Unless Furstinger is out again, they have basically everyone back now

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 1:44 pm
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

UNM isn't really short handed anymore, according to their last game box score. Unless Furstinger is out again, they have basically everyone back now
According to their last box score they gave up a hundo to Air Force.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

No they will still have only 10 scholarship players available (MacDougall out for the year, and transfers from Ohio St. and UConn out.) Same as us, only their bench is better than ours. Timmy better step up his recruiting -- New Mexico's first year coach is certainly bringing in talent.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 12th, 2018, 2:17 pm

aggies22 wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 2:00 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

According to their last box score they gave up a hundo to Air Force.
Furstinger out really hurt them.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 12th, 2018, 3:22 pm

USUBlue wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 2:16 pm
MetsJetsAggies wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

No they will still have only 10 scholarship players available (MacDougall out for the year, and transfers from Ohio St. and UConn out.) Same as us, only their bench is better than ours. Timmy better step up his recruiting -- New Mexico's first year coach is certainly bringing in talent.
"Only" 10? How the hell are they short handed? They will have every player who has played a game for them this year available.

Transfers have been lacking since pretty much forever. Shaw was the last good transfer we got. Need to figure out how to entice guys to transfer to Logan when they have 300+ options...

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 12th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Meanwhile we have about 7 healthy scholarship players. Dargenton still clearly battling the ankle, Pearre been injured off an on all year, Miller and Stall out. Not to mention Janicek.

Team isn't making excuses, they're playing their butts off regardless. You're here making excuses for "short handed" UNM

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » February 12th, 2018, 3:39 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:Meanwhile we have about 7 healthy scholarship players. Dargenton still clearly battling the ankle, Pearre been injured off an on all year, Miller and Stall out. Not to mention Janicek.

Team isn't making excuses, they're playing their butts off regardless. You're here making excuses for "short handed" UNM
I don’t see how you can pin all that on Stall, Miller and Janicek.

We weren’t very good last year WITH Janicek.

Stall hasn’t been healthy for a couple years now. This year should have been seen coming a mile away.

Miller is basically an (older) true freshman.

IMO, I don’t think those guys really make much difference.

Donman

Post by Donman » February 12th, 2018, 3:39 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 12th, 2018, 3:26 pm
Meanwhile we have about 7 healthy scholarship players. Dargenton still clearly battling the ankle, Pearre been injured off an on all year, Miller and Stall out. Not to mention Janicek.

Anything to make our team look bad.

Anyone who doesn't think injuries never come into play in winning and losing are idiots (I don't know what other word to use). Occasionally you get someone who steps up but that is the exception and not the rule.

Using this logic Rudy Gorbet being hurt should have had no impact on the Jazz. They'd have a back up just as good as him waiting in the wings.

I remember the year Stew had all of the injuries down the stretch and everyone was out for blood. We had 7 scholarships players down the stretch and people thought it shouldn't be taken into account.

This year who knows how good Janicek would have been. He had some terrible moments last year, but also had some good moments. He would at least give us a better inside game (our centers aren't big or strong enough to finish).

Stall began to have his moments.

Miller was beginning to come around.

People kept banging on Koby but he was playing with a bum leg for the first part of the season. Another game in which he showed terrible body language was Youngstown when he was sick ( you could tell he wasn't 100% on the bench).

At Wyoming your tallest player was Henson who really is a stretch 4 or more of a wing player and Dargenton who could barely walk. You had Diago Brito playing the 4 at times. Wyoming is a team with size. You really needed our limited big man line up at that game.

Whether you like it or not, every player giving major contributions right now has been in the program less than two years.

We just beat the number one team in the conference. Have won 4 of 5 and everyone keeps beating the same drum. Old and boring.

Is Duryea perfect (far from it). But he's taken a team with little experience and a ton of injuries and has them heading the right direction at the key time of the year.

Enjoy the momentum and the wins!!!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 12th, 2018, 4:08 pm

USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » February 12th, 2018, 8:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
February 11th, 2018, 12:25 pm

Haha, I did that after a goal a few weeks ago in Men’s League!

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » February 12th, 2018, 8:04 pm

USUBlue wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

#squadgoals

Hail Aggies!

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 12th, 2018, 9:53 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:

We are no different than New Mexico. They have had at most 10 scholarship players this year, with several of the 10 being unavailable for several games like the one in Logan when they had only 7 dressed including a walkon. USU also has had at most 12 scholarship players this year -- with Stall and Miller hurt during the year.

I follow over 100 of the 351 teams in D1 BBall. I can tell you that many of them have 3, 4, 5 scholarship players unavailable for many different reasons at any time throughout the year. For example when CSU came to Logan and destroyed us, they had about 8 scholarship players available and one of them Nixon was on about 1 1/2 legs. Injuries, Eligiblity, Discipline, etc. are constant parts of D1 BBall - Duryea saying that he hasn't seen it before simply means he's not looking very hard. I can give him all sorts of teams that are playing just as short-handed as USU (New Mexico, CSU, Wright St., etc., etc.) Depth is the key -- Ainge, Pearre, Dargenton aren't providing great depth.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » February 12th, 2018, 9:58 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:

Unfortunately, Pearre hasn't been good for 3 years, Janicek was terrible last year, Ainge is a disappointment, Stall is injury prone, Dargenton has potential but no time left to realize it, Miller could be fine but is undersized for a 3 (and Koby and Merrill will be ahead of him at the 1 and 2), Isby is having typical JC transfer development challenges, etc.

Of course the team is playing hard, there's just simply not enough talent on the team. USU is no more short-handed than UNM -- we have the same number of scholarships and dressed players as they do.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » February 12th, 2018, 10:02 pm

ususports wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 10:14 pm
TheConspirator wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 9:41 pm
bleu wrote:
February 10th, 2018, 9:38 pm
Aggies lose to a decent team: This place is an absolute hotbed

Chat was dead tonight too.
Program is just deflated beyond recognition right now. I can't remember the last time I've watched more than 10 minutes of a game, including tonight's game. The scary thing is when the diehard Aggie fans who take time out to frequent this message board are this unexcited about Aggie basketball I can't imagine what Joe Aggie Fan is going through.
If you only watched 10 minutes of tonights game something os wrong with you.
Agreed, that was an exciting game. It was close almost the whole time, so I'm not sure when would have been a tempting time to stop watching. Some "fans" just continue to hope we fail so they can pad their ego and say they were right.
I’ll admit i’d like to see a new coach. Even after this win. Im sure Duryea means well and is trying. I just dont think he can pull off a MWC Champ and ncaa birth. That being said, i dont root against him or the team. I 100% enjoy watching the Aggies win. For Duryea’s sake maybe he can prove us all wrong. He seems like a nice fellow. I just dont see D1 head coaching long term success for him in Logan.

Please, prove me wrong, please. Good job beating bozo state

Locked Previous topicNext topic