Wondering

This forum is for Basketball discussion only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
SectionBAggie

Wondering

Post by SectionBAggie » February 17th, 2018, 9:19 pm

I taped the game hoping to watch a recorded win after seeing it live. Oh, well.

I did want to watch one play again since it didn't make sense at the time.
At the 8:32 mark in the second half, Isby went for one of the more impressive dunks that I have seen for a long time. Hope it gets posted for those who missed it.

As the ball comes out of the basket it heads back up the court. Every angle that I have seen shows that Dargenton hits the ball and it flies many rows up into the crowd. (Based on his oblivious reaction to the contact I don't think he meant to hit it hard or even knew that he did.) The announcers stated that there should be a delay of game warning, but when nothing is called Musselman goes nuts - eventually pounding the scorer's table.

So here's part of why I am confused. Apparently a coach can go berserk and demand a video review whenever he feels like it. It wasn't the type of play where reviews are typically warranted (3-point line, possession out-of-bounds, time clock, etc.) But Musselman won the refs over and they reviewed the play.

Looking more closely at the box score I see that Henson had no fouls so the PA must have got it wrong when he announced that Henson got the "T".

But I still don't know what gave Musselman the power to demand the review? Is that the way it always has been? And is a coach's "T" dependent upon whether the replay shows that he was right? Sure was a weird sequence.

Unfortunately, the review and subsequent FT and possession took the crowd back out of the game.

flying_scotsman2.0

Re: Wondering

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » February 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Yeah, there were quite a few pretty ridiculous fouls. That one in particular was ridiculous. The other when Merrill was standing in front of the hoop with his hands up, the guy driving hits him and falls backwards, was another ridiculous foul.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » February 18th, 2018, 3:01 am

Musselmann is clearly a great coach and recruiter and he has also clearly taught the NBA flop to his team as well.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 18th, 2018, 11:54 am

flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm
Yeah, there were quite a few pretty ridiculous fouls. That one in particular was ridiculous. The other when Merrill was standing in front of the hoop with his hands up, the guy driving hits him and falls backwards, was another ridiculous foul.
Not only that but the ref was adamantly pointing to the circle under the basket. I get you can't be in there to draw a charge, but can't it just be a no call if it was good defense? It wasn't a charge, or a foul.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 18th, 2018, 8:20 pm

MetsJetsAggies wrote:
February 18th, 2018, 11:54 am
flying_scotsman2.0 wrote:
February 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm
Not only that but the ref was adamantly pointing to the circle under the basket. I get you can't be in there to draw a charge, but can't it just be a no call if it was good defense? It wasn't a charge, or a foul.
Agreed. That was a terrible call.

Locked Previous topicNext topic