Jazz ARE making playoffs

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Jazz ARE making playoffs

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 18th, 2016, 2:01 am

I'm calling it now they aren't making the playoffs. And Hayward will go to the Celtics in the offseason.

And before anybody says just wait til they're healthy I'll save you your breath. I have been waiting. For like 4 years. The only consistent thing about the Jazz is that multiple players are consistently hurt at the same time. Yeah Hill and Favors will be back but who will go down before they do? Hood? Hayward again? Gobert? Somebody will.

The projected starting five of Hill, Hood, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert haven't played a single game together yet this season. And I have my doubts that they ever will. And even if they do valuable time building chemistry has been wasted and it will probably be too late.

If you think everyone is going to get healthy and the Jazz will make the playoffs I'll save you the heartbreak. Don't get your hopes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by SuperiorBlueDiver on January 27th, 2017, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aceofspadeskb

Re: Jazz aren't making playoffs

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 18th, 2016, 11:30 am

I'd take that bet.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » November 18th, 2016, 12:14 pm

I only see the Jazz play about 3 or 4 times a year. Every time I see them play, they play like they did last night against the Bulls. 3/4ths of that game just sucked. It was boring and both teams in the second quarter could not hit the broad side of a barn from the field. Every game I watch Hayward looks terrible, too. I know that the Jazz have won one more game than they have lost this year and Harward has had some good games, but I could not take watching that team play 82 games per year. That was miserable.

Eutaw St. Aggie

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 18th, 2016, 12:46 pm

I couldn't handle any NBA team very long, run and gun just isn't cool to watch, college game better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 18th, 2016, 2:56 pm

Concerns about health are fair.

If they are reasonably healthy, they probably win 50 games. But if they continually have 2-3 of their top 7 out, then it will be hard for them to win.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 18th, 2016, 3:08 pm

Intermeddler wrote:Concerns about health are fair.

If they are reasonably healthy, they probably win 50 games. But if they continually have 2-3 of their top 7 out, then it will be hard for them to win.
Completely agree with this. If fully healthy for 2/3 of a season they are a 50-55 win team. But it won't happen. And it appears Houston is probably better than last year without Howard dragging them down.

Locks:
GS
LAC
SAS
POR
MEM
OKC

Probably:
HOU

Fighting for last spot:
LAL
UTA
DAL
MIN

I think Minnesota might be a year away.
Dallas is a mess. But hard to completely count out their veterans.
I could really see an energized, excited LAL team beating the Jazz out for the last spot if the Jazz are never healthy enough to build any chemistry.

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » November 19th, 2016, 2:07 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:

Completely agree with this. If fully healthy for 2/3 of a season they are a 50-55 win team. But it won't happen. And it appears Houston is probably better than last year without Howard dragging them down.

Locks:
GS
LAC
SAS
POR
MEM
OKC

Probably:
HOU

Fighting for last spot:
LAL
UTA
DAL
MIN

I could really see an energized, excited LAL team beating the Jazz out for the last spot if the Jazz are never healthy enough to build any chemistry.

The Lakers will cool off (I say that as a Laker fan). They have a year or two before they have the maturity to maintain momentum as a squad. Right now the Jazz are prime for the 8th spot. Dallas and Minnesota are set up to ruin it for themselves. The only thing that hurts the Jazz is if they are close within the last few games as their final games (Por and GSW away, SAS at home) is much tougher than other fringe teams.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 19th, 2016, 2:08 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:
SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:

Locks:
GS
LAC
SAS
POR
MEM
OKC

Probably:
HOU

Fighting for last spot:
LAL
UTA
DAL
MIN

The Lakers will cool off (I say that as a Laker fan). They have a year or two before they have the maturity to maintain momentum as a squad. Right now the Jazz are prime for the 8th spot. Dallas and Minnesota are set up to ruin it for themselves. The only thing that hurts the Jazz is if they are close within the last few games as their final games (Por and GSW away, SAS at home) is much tougher than other fringe teams.
I could see this too. The Lakers talent is no fluke though. Neither is Minnesota's.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 30th, 2016, 10:49 am

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:I'm calling it now they aren't making the playoffs. And Hayward will go to the Celtics in the offseason.

And before anybody says just wait til they're healthy I'll save you your breath. I have been waiting. For like 4 years. The only consistent thing about the Jazz is that multiple players are consistently hurt at the same time. Yeah Hill and Favors will be back but who will go down before they do? Hood? Hayward again? Gobert? Somebody will.

The projected starting five of Hill, Hood, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert haven't played a single game together yet this season. And I have my doubts that they ever will. And even if they do valuable time building chemistry has been wasted and it will probably be too late.

If you think everyone is going to get healthy and the Jazz will make the playoffs I'll save you the heartbreak. Don't get your hopes up.

Feeling any better?

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 30th, 2016, 11:08 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:I'm calling it now they aren't making the playoffs. And Hayward will go to the Celtics in the offseason.

Feeling any better?

The past few games have been fun and the defense has been other worldly good. My premise was not that they aren't a good team. It was that they can't/won't stay healthy. If they're healthy all year I think the 4 seed is within reach. Their track record is that multiple people are always hurt and I watch games now just waiting for the next one to go down.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » November 30th, 2016, 11:10 am

Fair enough. Hope you're wrong.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » November 30th, 2016, 11:20 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:Fair enough. Hope you're wrong.
I hope I'm wrong too!

USUaggie

Post by USUaggie » December 1st, 2016, 11:47 am

George Hill down. Toe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 1st, 2016, 12:09 pm

USUaggie wrote:George Hill down. Toe.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
No surprise. We'll simply never be fully healthy and will never know the full potential of this group. I almost wonder if the Jazz like it that way. Takes pressure off organization to win cause they can always say well "IF" we were healthy ....

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » December 2nd, 2016, 1:08 am

Today's game is the epitome of your post, Nice call, I feel like the Jazz should just amnesty these players who keep getting injured to other teams or trade for unprotected First rounders. I'll bet combined the starters miss 120+ games to injury.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 2nd, 2016, 8:13 am

Is it just me or does it seem that players get injured outside of games a lot more often than during games. It used to be the other way around. What are the Jazz doing to these guys in practice?

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 2nd, 2016, 12:28 pm

brownjeans wrote:Is it just me or does it seem that players get injured outside of games a lot more often than during games. It used to be the other way around. What are the Jazz doing to these guys in practice?
Hill and Hood were hurt during the Rockets game.

Favors is a chronic injury.

Burks was hurt in a game, then was in a car accident.

Hayward was hurt in practice. Gobert was hurt in practice last year. But both were sort of freak injuries.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 3rd, 2016, 11:37 pm

How times have changed. I wonder if the Jazz will make the playoff? The question now is I wonder if the Jazz will make it to the finals!

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 3rd, 2016, 11:55 pm

blueaggie wrote:How times have changed. I wonder if the Jazz will make the playoff? The question now is I wonder if the Jazz will make it to the finals!
I'm not sure if I'm following you here. I think you may have it backwards? Back in the Malone and Stockton years we wondered if they would make it to the Finals. The Jazz are light years away from the Finals now.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » December 5th, 2016, 9:43 pm

That is what I am talking about!

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » December 6th, 2016, 9:55 pm

Jjoey52 wrote:I couldn't handle any NBA team very long, run and gun just isn't cool to watch, college game better.

Completely untrue. In what world do slower, less athletic, worse coached, less disciplined and less experienced players make a better product?

When I was at USU, I believed the same nonsense - that the college basketball product is somehow better than the NBA. It's not. The only real knocks on the NBA are that the season is too long (true), that there is too much official review (so true), and that there are so many teams and so little tip-top tier talent that there is very little parity (somewhat true). There is VERY good defense in the NBA. The Jazz, Spurs, Grizzlies and Clippers all play exceptional defensively... the sort of play that the vast majority of college players can only dream to be a part of...

I'm a huge USU basketball fan, but the product isn't great. There's a lot of bad shot selection, defensive lapses, the ball gets stuck in one place far too often. I watch college basketball only because the Aggie blue and fighting white play the sport (and I love the Aggies). These days, I slip in and out of March Madness because even that isn't great. Hard work, enthusiastic spirit, grit and determination (you know the stuff that you are when you really aren't that good at what you do) is only so entertaining.

I'd rather watch a bottom tier NBA game than a Sweet 16 game any day (unless the Aggs are in it). The NBA is vastly superior.

Oh, and the Jazz are very good. Don't rule out a 4 seed. When healthy (and often when not), this team stymies very good offenses. If Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hill are healthy (a lot to ask, I know) - this team is really damn good.

Live every week like it’s Shark Week! :thumbsup:

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 6th, 2016, 9:59 pm

918AGG wrote:
Jjoey52 wrote:I couldn't handle any NBA team very long, run and gun just isn't cool to watch, college game better.

Completely untrue. In what world do slower, less athletic, worse coached, less disciplined and less experienced players make a better product?

When I was at USU, I believed the same nonsense - that the college basketball product is somehow better than the NBA. It's not. The only real knocks on the NBA are that the season is too long (true), that there is too much official review (so true), and that there are so many teams and so little tip-top tier talent that there is very little parity (somewhat true). There is VERY good defense in the NBA. The Jazz, Spurs, Grizzlies and Clippers all play exceptional defensively... the sort of play that the vast majority college players can only dream to be a part of...

I'm a huge USU basketball fan, but the product isn't great. There's a lot of bad shot selection, defensive lapses, the ball gets stuck in one place far too often. I watch college basketball only because the Aggie blue and fighting white play the sport (and I love the Aggies). These days, I slip in and out of March Madness because even that isn't great. Hard work, enthusiastic spirit, grit and determination (you know the stuff that you are when you really aren't that good at what you do) is only so entertaining.

I'd rather watch a bottom tier NBA game than a Sweet 16 game any day (unless the Aggs are in it). The NBA is vastly superior.
To each their own I guess. You couldn't pay me to watch a bottom tier NBA game. Almost zero interest in the NBA.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 7th, 2016, 12:11 am

918AGG wrote:

When I was at USU, I believed the same nonsense - that the college basketball product is somehow better than the NBA. It's not. The only real knocks on the NBA are that the season is too long (true), that there is too much official review (so true), and that there are so many teams and so little tip-top tier talent that there is very little parity (somewhat true). There is VERY good defense in the NBA. The Jazz, Spurs, Grizzlies and Clippers all play exceptional defensively... the sort of play that the vast majority of college players can only dream to be a part of...

Oh, and the Jazz are very good. Don't rule out a 4 seed. When healthy (and often when not), this team stymies very good offenses. If Hood, Hayward, Favors, Gobert and Hill are healthy (a lot to ask, I know) - this team is really damn good.
I am with you. The talent level and quality of play in the NBA is pretty impressive right now. I have a hard time watching college basketball. I don't watch many random NBA games either, but college basketball is a nice diversion between the Super Bowl and golf season, but other than that, I find it almost unwatchable.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 7th, 2016, 12:12 am

A few years ago I was in the group that hated the NBA. I preferred the college game. My main complaint was that NBA rules changed had made it impossible to play defense. I think for a while after the changes players and coaches struggled to adjust. It had a negative effect for awhile. Watching this season I've noticed that things have changed. I think coaches have adjusted and there's much more emphasis on team defense and rotation. Growing up there was a lot of ISO and back to the basket players. Now there is lots of motion offensively. Defenses have become very technical now and pretty complex when taking into account planning for individual opponents and their team's offensive concepts.

I've enjoyed watching the NBA this year. My only issue with it now is the lack of parity but the NBA has always lacked parity.

The college game just adopted similar rule changes. I hope the coaches and players adapt cause it's become pretty difficult to watch the past few years.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 7th, 2016, 12:42 am

NBA needs to get rid of any version of the illegal defense rule. Let a team play any kind of D they want.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » December 7th, 2016, 5:07 am

College went downhill a few years ago when they changed the rules. Now the foul calls are inconsistent and some games become foul shooting competitions.

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » December 13th, 2016, 11:57 am

Jazz just won 8 of their last 10 (losses coming to Golden State and @MIA) while missing at least one, usually two or three starters. Still think they aren't going to make the playoffs?

Coloraggie

Post by Coloraggie » December 14th, 2016, 9:04 am

In at least one game they missed four starters: Heyward, Hill, Favors, Hood. I think that was the game they lost a close one to Miami.

Heyward is back. Favors is supposed to play tonight. I think Hood and Hill will be back shortly, Burks will be back in 2017. Of course, half or all of those players will get injured again this year. If the Jazz can secure a playoff birth early they need to give a lot of rest to these guys to keep them around for the playoffs.

TrueBlue
Pick'em Champ - '13,'14,'15,'16 BB Predict The Score

Post by TrueBlue » December 14th, 2016, 10:25 am

Coloraggie wrote:In at least one game they missed four starters: Heyward, Hill, Favors, Hood. I think that was the game they lost a close one to Miami.

Heyward is back. Favors is supposed to play tonight. I think Hood and Hill will be back shortly, Burks will be back in 2017. Of course, half or all of those players will get injured again this year. If the Jazz can secure a playoff birth early they need to give a lot of rest to these guys to keep them around for the playoffs.
The game they were missing 4 starters was vs. Golden State. Hayward played against Miaimi, though the other 3 did not. This year their projected starting lineup: Hill, Hood, Hayward, Favors, and Gobert, have played a grand total of 12 minutes together. That was against New York. Hood is also a game time decision, but I'm guessing he is out tonight. I think the only positive on this injury crap, is that the rest of the team is learning to play together and without their "stars" while also winning. Hopefully that pays off if everyone else can get healthy.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » December 15th, 2016, 10:53 am

The difference maker right now is Gobert. He playing like a man possessed! Leads the league in Blocks and FG% and has drastically improved his FT %. Things are looking very promising right now and I would say that unless the wheels fall completely off, they are easily a playoff team. They have been fun to watch lately imho.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » December 15th, 2016, 11:04 am

I love watching Gobert play. The Jazz in general are very enjoyable to watch this year. I hope they can get and stay healthy.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 15th, 2016, 11:48 am

This is the most fun I have had watching the Jazz since probably 2007. Gobert is playing at an unbelievable level at the moment. In his last 4 games he is putting up the following numbers:

17.8 pts, 13.5 rbs, 3.5 blks,
23-28 82% FT
24-27 89% FG

18 points on 7 shots a game is incredibly efficient. Someone would have to shoot 6-7 from 3 to match that efficiency level.

If they can get and stay at least reasonably healthy (starters only miss occasional games, etc.) I think they end up as the 3 seed this year.

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 15th, 2016, 11:58 am

Intermeddler wrote:This is the most fun I have had watching the Jazz since probably 2007. Gobert is playing at an unbelievable level at the moment. In his last 4 games he is putting up the following numbers:

23-28 82% FT
24-27 89% FG

18 points on 7 shots a game is incredibly efficient. Someone would have to shoot 6-7 from 3 to match that efficiency level.

If they can get and stay at least reasonably healthy (starters only miss occasional games, etc.) I think they end up as the 3 seed this year.
I think 4 seed is likely in that scenario. They'll win the northwest division but not have a better record than GS, LAC, and SAS

Scary thing about last night is that I thought for a lot of the game the Jazz looked lethargic and a bit out of sync. Look up and they still win by 20. On another player note Jingles is unconscious! His threes are not even hitting the rim lately!

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » December 15th, 2016, 3:35 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:This is the most fun I have had watching the Jazz since probably 2007. Gobert is playing at an unbelievable level at the moment. In his last 4 games he is putting up the following numbers:

23-28 82% FT
24-27 89% FG

I think 4 seed is likely in that scenario. They'll win the northwest division but not have a better record than GS, LAC, and SAS

Scary thing about last night is that I thought for a lot of the game the Jazz looked lethargic and a bit out of sync. Look up and they still win by 20. On another player note Jingles is unconscious! His threes are not even hitting the rim lately!

I think 4 seed is probably more likely than 3, but I am bullish. Of course, "if" they stay healthy is a big ask.

I am with you. Hayward didn't play particularly well, Hill was out, Favors on a minutes restriction, and we dominated OKC. I get they were without Oladipo and on a back-to-back, but this Jazz team is very good. Ingles has been great. It will be interesting to see whose minutes get cut when/if Burks returns.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 15th, 2016, 3:51 pm

The Jazz are extremely deep and talented at every position. They may not always have the single best player on the floor, but they are usually better than their opponents at most positions on any given night. For example, last night vs. OKC, the Thunder had the single best player, but the Jazz were significantly and noticeably better at every other position across the board. They are a lot of fun to watch. I don't know if the Jazz have ever been this deep.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Locked Previous topicNext topic