WTH happened to 1320 kfan

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
FastAggie
Has thanked: 0

WTH happened to 1320 kfan

Post by FastAggie » March 2nd, 2017, 11:03 am

1320 KFAN has been all static on my dial this week. Did they just pull the plug on the station and not say anything? I actually really enjoyed listening to Gunther despite him being an overt U homer.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Re: WTH happened to 1320 kfan

Post by ProvoAggie » March 2nd, 2017, 11:09 am

Looks like it's gone. Their website just redirects to the website for Cumulus now and if you look at the list of stations they own 1320 is gone.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 2nd, 2017, 12:24 pm

At least they are still providing the same coverage

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » March 2nd, 2017, 12:46 pm

dyedblue wrote:At least they are still providing the same coverage

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

GarciaValdez

Post by GarciaValdez » March 2nd, 2017, 5:22 pm

I live in Davis county. I gave up on Salt Lake sports radio years ago. When I got in my car today, local sports radio was on one of my preset FM channels. I couldn't tell you where my dial was set. Search your FM dial. I'm guessing that is where you will find them.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » March 3rd, 2017, 12:07 am

Scotty G tweeted "1320 was a heritage signal with a ton of history. Spent six years of my life there. Hate to see that happen to good friends and colleagues".

Sounds like it was a surprise they got shut down.

GarciaValdez

Post by GarciaValdez » March 3rd, 2017, 6:42 am

bigwilly087

Post by bigwilly087 » March 3rd, 2017, 10:24 am

They had just picked up the Westwood One NFL package last season, which was basically all the primetime and playoff games. Hopefully someone else picks the rights up (1280 used to have them).

NowhereLandAggie

Post by NowhereLandAggie » March 4th, 2017, 8:34 am

tjensen_25 wrote:Scotty G tweeted "1320 was a heritage signal with a ton of history. Spent six years of my life there. Hate to see that happen to good friends and colleagues".

Sounds like it was a surprise they got shut down.
After 1280 merged with the 1320 staff a few years ago, that station was DOA. Their ratings were so low, and they became a distant 3rd in the market. For several years 1280 and 1320 were formidable rivals with 1320 airing Jazz games.

Anyways, 1280 is now easily the top dog in the market, ESPN 700 is even all that close. It isn't that surprising since 70-80% of their coverage is the U of U. They are missing out on all non Utah sports fans in the state which is probably 75% of people. 1280 trails only KSL in terms of total listeners, an impressive feat for an All-Sports radio station.

I have talked to Scotty G. in the past and he said most media guys are really good friends since at some point they end up working together at some point. I am sure his tweet is sincere.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 8th, 2017, 2:41 am

I enjoyed listening to Gunther on occasion, but I could see he wasn't for everyone. A millennial who joked about cats and aliens probably isn't going to be the 1st choice for many people when they want to hear games being analyzed.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 8th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:I enjoyed listening to Gunther on occasion, but I could see he wasn't for everyone. A millennial who joked about cats and aliens probably isn't going to be the 1st choice for many people when they want to hear games being analyzed.
I actually thought that was his brilliance. He was entertaining but also had the ability to analyze football as good as any other radio host in the state. The Red and Blue show from the old 1280 was by far the best local sports talk show I ever listened to. Kyle kept Jan honest and they both gave Utah State plenty of coverage. When the station split up, Jan became a class A douchebag, and Gunther's career was buried.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 9th, 2017, 3:31 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:I enjoyed listening to Gunther on occasion, but I could see he wasn't for everyone. A millennial who joked about cats and aliens probably isn't going to be the 1st choice for many people when they want to hear games being analyzed.
I actually thought that was his brilliance. He was entertaining but also had the ability to analyze football as good as any other radio host in the state. The Red and Blue show from the old 1280 was by far the best local sports talk show I ever listened to. Kyle kept Jan honest and they both gave Utah State plenty of coverage. When the station split up, Jan became a class A douchebag, and Gunther's career was buried.
That was an entertaining show. He was funny, but he didn't become so off the wall goofy until he had later partners.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 14th, 2017, 9:14 pm

I, too, didn't mind Gunther. I think he was as good, or better, than the lineup that 1280 has, especially DJ & PK. I used to listen to 1280 almost every day for years up until I moved to Vegas. But Vegas sports talk changed me and refined my palette to better quality shows. Even though I'm in SLC/Davis Co., my TuneIn app is always tuned in to ESPN 1100 and "Mitch and Pritch" each day. One of the best sports talk shows in the country, imo. Then at 3, I tune over to KRLV and finish my drive home with the Seat and Ed show. Not as good as Mitch and Pritch, but far superior to the two dunces on the Big Show.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 15th, 2017, 2:14 am

Yeah Utah sports radio isn't great, but probably a step up from Hawaii sports radio where they actually said Hawaii had a chance to win at Michigan last year. They lost 63-3.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 15th, 2017, 4:27 am

I would kill to have the guy who says, "Ben Dole deposits the ball in the netting" on a radio show.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 23rd, 2017, 12:37 pm

Another reason I prefer Vegas sports talk? Far more MWC talk than from SLC talk shows. It's not even close, really. Even during a down year for UNLV, the shows in Vegas would break down MWC bball teams and players. Their coverage during the MWCT was phenomenal. In SLC, the MWC is treated as a pariah that they are too good for since Utah and BYU have moved on. I doubt the MWC even gets more than the occasional a blurb from any radio or print in the Salt Lake market.

- Dallin

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » March 23rd, 2017, 12:49 pm

It is bad, I flipped on OC yesterday and he couldn't even name or stadium and when he did he called it Albertson stadium. Not sure his back ground, but didn't be play football at Utah? Pathetic.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » March 23rd, 2017, 3:00 pm

dyedblue wrote:It is bad, I flipped on OC yesterday and he couldn't even name or stadium and when he did he called it Albertson stadium. Not sure his back ground, but didn't be play football at Utah? Pathetic.

Who is OC and what show does he host? If he's a ute then it makes sense that he's a total douche.

- Dallin

bullshot

Post by bullshot » March 25th, 2017, 5:52 pm

I much prefer Gunther to PK, and monson. He is quick and entertaining. Jan on the other hand had clearly taken too many blows to the head, and he has been gone for a while. Not sold yet on Hackett, but I will give him time to fit in. DJ is good too, and all the rest are meh.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » April 27th, 2017, 9:30 am

And just like that, my favorite sports talk show, "Mitch and Pritch", is gone. At first, I thought it was because of the ESPN layoffs, but I knew that Lotus owns the station and the show. Come to find out, Mitch Moss left to go to the newly-formed sports gaming network from Brent Musburger, VSiN, to co-host a show with Paul Howard. Sort of a partial reunion of "Gridlock" from back in the day, but all of the sports talk is inundated from the gambling angle, which makes sense, but still... sad day. Hopefully, another show forms with Mike Pritchard. I think he would be a good co-host to Ed Graney, or if Russ Langer ever wanted to do a day-time talk show that didn't interrupt with his responsibilities with the 51's. Hopefully, that new show comes soon, as I can only take so much of Cofield filling in.

Tried to listen to a few minutes of Hans and Scotty G yesterday and just couldn't take any more. SLC sports talk is small market, I understand that, but it has a long way to go.

- Dallin

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » May 8th, 2017, 8:01 am

I turned on my radio for a short drive on Saturday morning and Gunther and Ben now have a Saturday morning show on KBER which I found quite strange. I didn't listen long enough to hear if they talked sports at all it. What I did hear was the usual Gunther randomness, so maybe that is what the show will be about.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » May 15th, 2017, 12:02 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:And just like that, my favorite sports talk show, "Mitch and Pritch", is gone. At first, I thought it was because of the ESPN layoffs, but I knew that Lotus owns the station and the show. Come to find out, Mitch Moss left to go to the newly-formed sports gaming network from Brent Musburger, VSiN, to co-host a show with Paul Howard. Sort of a partial reunion of "Gridlock" from back in the day, but all of the sports talk is inundated from the gambling angle, which makes sense, but still... sad day. Hopefully, another show forms with Mike Pritchard. I think he would be a good co-host to Ed Graney, or if Russ Langer ever wanted to do a day-time talk show that didn't interrupt with his responsibilities with the 51's. Hopefully, that new show comes soon, as I can only take so much of Cofield filling in.

Tried to listen to a few minutes of Hans and Scotty G yesterday and just couldn't take any more. SLC sports talk is small market, I understand that, but it has a long way to go.
Called it:

https://twitter.com/edgraney/status/863 ... gr%5Etweet

Should be a good team... looking forward to listening to both of them, along with Clay.

- Dallin

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » May 15th, 2017, 2:45 pm

AGGZILLA wrote:And just like that, my favorite sports talk show, "Mitch and Pritch", is gone. At first, I thought it was because of the ESPN layoffs, but I knew that Lotus owns the station and the show. Come to find out, Mitch Moss left to go to the newly-formed sports gaming network from Brent Musburger, VSiN, to co-host a show with Paul Howard. Sort of a partial reunion of "Gridlock" from back in the day, but all of the sports talk is inundated from the gambling angle, which makes sense, but still... sad day. Hopefully, another show forms with Mike Pritchard. I think he would be a good co-host to Ed Graney, or if Russ Langer ever wanted to do a day-time talk show that didn't interrupt with his responsibilities with the 51's. Hopefully, that new show comes soon, as I can only take so much of Cofield filling in.

You tried Dan Patrick yet? That's all I listen to for my daily sports fix during my commute. So much better than the old days of holding back vomit while listening to 1280 or 1320.

Locked Previous topicNext topic