will the Las Vegas Raiders now become Utah's fav NFL team?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 27th, 2017, 2:24 pm

the move was approved - should be interesting, UNLV will definitely benefit. LV becomes the closest NFL team to SLC.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: will the Las Vegas Raiders now become Utah's fav NFL tea

Post by brownjeans » March 27th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Only if Mangum plays there...

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » March 27th, 2017, 3:51 pm

As a Broncos fan I am praying that Regional coverage areas remain unchanged.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 27th, 2017, 8:52 pm

As to the question posed by the title of the OP, I ask, in turn, why should they? Other than relative proximity (Vegas being about 100 miles closer to Salt Lake than Denver) what other reason is there for anybody in Utah to root for the Vegas Raiders?

Edit: It occurred to me that my post might be interpreted by some to indicate I am a Denver Broncos fan. I am not. In truth, I probably had no reason to post in this thread at all. I have next to no interest at all in the NFL.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » March 27th, 2017, 10:09 pm

aceofspadeskb wrote:As a Broncos fan I am praying that Regional coverage areas remain unchanged.
This, They need to leave it alone, give Raiders Nevada, still NorCal and part of Oregon

One good thing, it certainly opens up the possibility of going when Broncos go to Vegas. Hopefully the Raiders jailbird fans can't get work release in Vegas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 28th, 2017, 5:21 am

They could be to some. Most people will remain fans of their current teams, but the close proximity to Vegas combined with Vegas being a destination city in itself will lead many Utahns making the trip to see NFL football. Over time I could see many more Raider fans in Utah especially the Saint George area where they are just an hour and a half away.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 28th, 2017, 9:24 am

I haven't lived in Utah for a few years now, and I've always struggled to really follow the NFL, but I think I can safely say that I wouldn't have any particular draw to be a Raiders fan unless they ended up with a bunch of Aggies on their team. I remember trying to be a Broncos fan back when they had Cutler at QB, but it never really took. I grew up in the Northwest, though, and I think ever since Wagner and Turbin were drafted I've decided that if I'm going to claim a team I'll just go ahead with the Seahawks. I've never spent any time in Seattle, but I get the feeling I'd like it there.

72AgGrad
RIP

Post by 72AgGrad » March 28th, 2017, 9:13 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:I haven't lived in Utah for a few years now, and I've always struggled to really follow the NFL, but I think I can safely say that I wouldn't have any particular draw to be a Raiders fan unless they ended up with a bunch of Aggies on their team. I remember trying to be a Broncos fan back when they had Cutler at QB, but it never really took. I grew up in the Northwest, though, and I think ever since Wagner and Turbin were drafted I've decided that if I'm going to claim a team I'll just go ahead with the Seahawks. I've never spent any time in Seattle, but I get the feeling I'd like it there.
As I already said, my interest in the NFL is close to zero, but like you if I did claim a team it would be Seattle, and for the same reasons. I always enjoy hearing how well Bobby Wagner is doing.

But, to business; you grew up in the Northwest but never spent any time in Seattle? Go. Just go. There is so much to see and do I don't know where to start. My daughter now lives in Seattle, in the Queen Anne district, close to downtown. Anything and everything she could want or need is within walking distance. Great restaurants, the Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, Elliot Bay. Do a bit of driving (watch your timing, the traffic can be brutal) a lot of interesting neighborhoods - the Ballard District, the University area, it goes on and on. Do be prepared to spend some coin, it isn't a place you can enjoy on the cheap. Oh, and do have an umbrella or some rain gear.

TheSauerkrautKid
Has thanked: 0

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » March 29th, 2017, 12:22 am

Not now, but give it a decade or so. At that point they will pick and choose between the Raiders and Broncos depending on who is good. Sort of like how Utahns suddenly remember they have an NBA team whenever the Jazz are in the playoffs.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 29th, 2017, 2:27 am

ViAggie wrote:the move was approved - should be interesting, UNLV will definitely benefit. LV becomes the closest NFL team to SLC.
in answer to your question, I hope not. Just because of proximity is a horrible reason to support a team or sport.

I could care less if the raiders move to las vegas, what I'm more interested in seeing is how our program at USU improves itself.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » March 29th, 2017, 9:34 am

72AgGrad wrote:But, to business; you grew up in the Northwest but never spent any time in Seattle? Go. Just go. There is so much to see and do I don't know where to start. My daughter now lives in Seattle, in the Queen Anne district, close to downtown. Anything and everything she could want or need is within walking distance. Great restaurants, the Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, Elliot Bay. Do a bit of driving (watch your timing, the traffic can be brutal) a lot of interesting neighborhoods - the Ballard District, the University area, it goes on and on. Do be prepared to spend some coin, it isn't a place you can enjoy on the cheap. Oh, and do have an umbrella or some rain gear.
Living in Alabama now, so just going isn't a simple option. However, perhaps a conference will come up or something that can send me up that way. I'm already thinking of making a special trip in 2020 for the game. Maybe a Labor Day weekend getaway with the wife, or something.

As for the umbrella... I did tell you I grew up in the Northwest, right?

dhilk3785

Post by dhilk3785 » March 29th, 2017, 10:44 am

BigBlueDart wrote:
72AgGrad wrote:But, to business; you grew up in the Northwest but never spent any time in Seattle? Go. Just go. There is so much to see and do I don't know where to start. My daughter now lives in Seattle, in the Queen Anne district, close to downtown. Anything and everything she could want or need is within walking distance. Great restaurants, the Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, Elliot Bay. Do a bit of driving (watch your timing, the traffic can be brutal) a lot of interesting neighborhoods - the Ballard District, the University area, it goes on and on. Do be prepared to spend some coin, it isn't a place you can enjoy on the cheap. Oh, and do have an umbrella or some rain gear.
Living in Alabama now, so just going isn't a simple option. However, perhaps a conference will come up or something that can send me up that way. I'm already thinking of making a special trip in 2020 for the game. Maybe a Labor Day weekend getaway with the wife, or something.

As for the umbrella... I did tell you I grew up in the Northwest, right?
We went to Seattle for the first time for the UW game in 2015 and I absolutely loved it. We stayed downtown at some nice hotel we found on Hotwire and didn't need to rent a car at all. We took the train directly from the airport to about a block from our hotel, then just walked around downtown, Ubered to the game and took the free shuttle back to downtown after the game. We did the Space Needle, because why not, and did the Chihuly Glass Collection museum right by that as well, super cool! I'd like to go back and spend some time exploring some of the other neighborhoods outside of downtown, but from a quick weekend viewpoint, seemed like a city I could live in.

But more on point to topic, I definitely think LV will gain a significant Utah following, but I know a lot of people who are still die-hard 49ers fans just because of the Steve Young era, so it may take a local connection like that to really grow the Utah following. Utah currently seems to be fairly evenly split between Broncos and 49ers fans, with a little bit Cowboys and Raiders mixed in.

"I'd rather be wrong and cringe than right and regret not speaking up." - Jon Lovett

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » March 30th, 2017, 9:29 am

That is pretty funny dhilk3785...that is literally the exact same thing we did. We ended up buying the Seattle pass which included some other things as well. We had a lot of fun. We did the bus out to the game and back. It really worked well and if you stay downtown there really isn't a need to have a car.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » March 30th, 2017, 2:41 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:Not now, but give it a decade or so. At that point they will pick and choose between the Raiders and Broncos depending on who is good. Sort of like how Utahns suddenly remember they have an NBA team whenever the Jazz are in the playoffs.
Or 95% or fan bases in general...Jazz fans are far more loyal rain or shine than most fan bases are

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » March 30th, 2017, 3:38 pm

bleu wrote:
TheSauerkrautKid wrote:Not now, but give it a decade or so. At that point they will pick and choose between the Raiders and Broncos depending on who is good. Sort of like how Utahns suddenly remember they have an NBA team whenever the Jazz are in the playoffs.
Or 95% or fan bases in general...Jazz fans are far more loyal rain or shine than most fan bases are
Well went it's the only game in town, and it's still cold outside, might as well hang out inside big nice warm building to watch some guys throwing a ball around ;)

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 30th, 2017, 3:54 pm

The Raiders could play home games in my yard and I wouldn't cheer for them. I imagine weak-minded Utahns will become Raiders fans, but I doubt they ever become the most popular team in the state.

I am looking forward to an annual trip to Las Vegas to watch Denver play though.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 30th, 2017, 5:26 pm

LoveMyAggies wrote:
ViAggie wrote:the move was approved - should be interesting, UNLV will definitely benefit. LV becomes the closest NFL team to SLC.
in answer to your question, I hope not. Just because of proximity is a horrible reason to support a team or sport.

I could care less if the raiders move to las vegas, what I'm more interested in seeing is how our program at USU improves itself.
Seriously? Proximity is the number one reason that people become fans. There are obviously bandwagon fans and fans that have a certain connection to a team whether it be a player or coach or something else, but for the most part fans support the team closest to them or teams that were closest to them at some point in life.
For your second point, many people can be fans of the NFL and USU football. It is not mutually exclusive.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 30th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Intermeddler wrote:The Raiders could play home games in my yard and I wouldn't cheer for them. I imagine weak-minded Utahns will become Raiders fans, but I doubt they ever become the most popular team in the state.

I am looking forward to an annual trip to Las Vegas to watch Denver play though.
They are weak-minded because they cheer for the newest closest team? The reason many Utahns became Bronco fans was for that exact same reason, they have been the closest team.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » March 30th, 2017, 5:29 pm

bleu wrote:
As it should be. The college game is a bit difference, but to have good seats to a Jazz game you are going to have to fork out a few hundred dollars for your family to go. Many people aren't going to pay that if the product is lousy.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » March 30th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
Intermeddler wrote:The Raiders could play home games in my yard and I wouldn't cheer for them. I imagine weak-minded Utahns will become Raiders fans, but I doubt they ever become the most popular team in the state.

They are weak-minded because they cheer for the newest closest team? The reason many Utahns became Bronco fans was for that exact same reason, they have been the closest team.
They are weak-minded because they would cheer for the Raiders. It was a tongue in cheek comment as I am a Broncos fan.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » March 31st, 2017, 8:38 pm

Couldn't be more excited! Hopefully now we can finally stop being forced to watch the Broncos. There is a new local team in town. Go Raiders!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » April 1st, 2017, 2:25 pm

I would become a fan of an NFL team in Salt Lake, which will never happen, but Las Vegas isn't close enough for me to be a fan.

FastAggie

Post by FastAggie » April 14th, 2017, 11:22 am

HELL NO they won't be Utah's favorite team. Go Broncos :rock: but I will enjoy watching the Broncos beat the Raiders once a year in Vegas, hopefully it's more safe for a Bronco fan to watch a game in Vegas than Oakland.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » April 14th, 2017, 4:31 pm

FastAggie wrote:HELL NO they won't be Utah's favorite team. Go Broncos :rock: but I will enjoy watching the Broncos beat the Raiders once a year in Vegas, hopefully it's more safe for a Bronco fan to watch a game in Vegas than Oakland.
Won't be safer, the inmates can still get weekend passes. Only hope is there are vast numbers of Bronco fans at these.

AggieDude
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieDude » April 15th, 2017, 6:36 am

Never underestimate the desire of BYU fans to appear tough. The raiders will have plenty of fans in Utah.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » April 15th, 2017, 10:06 am

They already are this Utahn's favorite team and have been since I was 5-years-old. Love that they are closer and hope it means more Raiders games and less Broncos games on the tube.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » April 15th, 2017, 10:27 am

Raider fans have been invisible in Utah for many years, a few crawled out of the closet when they had their first winning season in 14 years.

FastAggie

Post by FastAggie » April 18th, 2017, 2:03 pm

GeoAg wrote:They already are this Utahn's favorite team and have been since I was 5-years-old. Love that they are closer and hope it means more Raiders games and less Broncos games on the tube.
I think GeoAg sectretly was the Iraqi Information Minster :lol: :lol:

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » April 18th, 2017, 8:37 pm

If I had to choose between the two I'd cheer for the Raiders any day over the donks. Needless to say they are both still in my top 4 disliked teams with the cheaters and the crybabies.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Locked Previous topicNext topic