BYU's new Offensive Coordinator to make big money?

Big Blue's House is intended for general sports talk, sharing ideas, announcements, etc.
thansen
Has thanked: 0

BYU's new Offensive Coordinator to make big money?

Post by thansen » December 14th, 2017, 11:04 am

The Salt Lake Tribune reported: According to figures on assistant coaches salaries published by USA Today, Grimes was making more than $560,000 annually at LSU.

Full article can be read here: http://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cougar ... ordinator/

I wonder how much Grimes is going to be paid at BYU for the OC job. Also curious how much Sitake makes.

OKAggie

Re: BYU's new Offensive Coordinator to make big money?

Post by OKAggie » December 14th, 2017, 11:07 am

Couldn't. Care. Less.

Nobody here knows anything.

GUS

Post by GUS » December 14th, 2017, 11:21 am

They could pay him a million bucks and I still hope he fails. With Sitake at the helm, there's a good chance that he will.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 14th, 2017, 11:34 am

I only care because it's an instate rival who is at the same level as us (NON P6 conf), so it's good to know what assist. coaches at our level are making.

My guess is that he likely is taking a paycut. I assume he is LDS, correct? They probably sold it to him that way, plus the "lower cost of living" in Utah bs that we all like to sell to people.

As for Sitake, just remember that we desperately wanted him to come here when we hired Coach A. Sitake should be grateful he landed at byu otherwise he would be out of a job right now.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 14th, 2017, 12:41 pm

Grimes interviewed at USU 3 years ago when we hired JH. He's been gunning for an OC job for quite a while now. I wouldn't take this as byu being able to lure a P5 coach away for more money. It's more along the lines that Grimes wants the opportunity to be an OC.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » December 16th, 2017, 6:01 pm

GUS wrote:
December 14th, 2017, 11:21 am
They could pay him a million bucks and I still hope he fails. With Sitake at the helm, there's a good chance that he will.
I imagine the amount of money byu is paying their coordinator wouldn't change how a rival fanbase felt about byu.

TrueBlueFan

Post by TrueBlueFan » December 17th, 2017, 3:32 pm

He played on byu's offensive line sometime in the early 2000.

His intro video was just too good! So funny! He has no confidence and I don't think he will succeed.

Go Grizzlies, Jazz, Real SL, Seahawks, USA! Go Aggies!

StanfordAggie

Post by StanfordAggie » December 17th, 2017, 8:11 pm

It's only relevant because BYU is an in-state rival and their success (or lack thereof) affects our ability to recruit the state. Historically BYU has not been willing to spend large amounts of money on coaching salaries. They tried to tell potential head coaches that coaching BYU is more of a calling than a job, so they should be willing to do it for less than the market rate. Right now many of their alumni/fans/commentators are questioning whether this approach is going to be viable going forward. When Sitake was hired, they tried to hire Ty Detmer on the cheap rather than open their checkbooks for someone with a better resume, and we all know the results. If BYU is now willing to pay market/P5 salaries to their coaching staff, that's a worrying sign for USU, since we probably don't have the budget to offer comparable salaries right now. However, as others noted in this thread, it's possible that he took the job because he wanted to prove his ability as an OC rather than because of the salary. But if he was making $560k at LSU, it seems unlikely that he's taking a huge pay cut to come to BYU. All I can do is hope that this is a one-time thing because they decided that opening the checkbook for an OC was cheaper than buying out Sitake. We will see what happens, I guess.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 20th, 2017, 11:35 am

He is a risk as a hire not experienced as a coordinator. He is not LDS. We do not like to give credit to USU, but Yost is a better hire based on experience than either coachs BYU Utah just hired. Lets hope that we can sweeten the pot because Yost pay
Was $102,000 last season, we can not change offensive coordinators every year.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » December 20th, 2017, 12:04 pm

oleblu111 wrote:
December 20th, 2017, 11:35 am
He is a risk as a hire not experienced as a coordinator. He is not LDS. We do not like to give credit to USU, but Yost is a better hire based on experience than either coachs BYU Utah just hired. Lets hope that we can sweeten the pot because Yost pay
Was $102,000 last season, we can not change offensive coordinators every year.
I'm pretty sure that amount is not for a full fiscal year. he was hired last Dec and I think that the fiscal year for the department ends around Aug. So the number they're using is for about 7 to 8 months.

oleblu111
RIP

Post by oleblu111 » December 20th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Actually he made $353,000 at his last stop so he is getting $102,000 for a years salary from USU, but will receive nearly the same salary he made at his last stop minus USU money until the contract with his former school runs out, if that is 1-1-18 USU needs to step up. No need to pay more until his old contract ends. If USU paid him $353,000 he would not make any more than he does now, but at contract end USU needs to step up.

Locked Previous topicNext topic