The Last Few Days Have Reminded Me How Cool Ute Fans Are

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
JasonJensen
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

The Last Few Days Have Reminded Me How Cool Ute Fans Are

Post by JasonJensen » September 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm

Every article that Tony has written has lots of well wishes from Utah fans. On their message board on Saturday they were all cheering for us. They generally want to see our program succeed. I know they love GA. Heck, most want him as the coach if Whittingham ever leaves. Maybe there really is a brotherhood between USU and Utah.

Byu fans on the other hand are completely different. KBCoug on here is great but he is one of the few. I wonder why there is such a disparity between the two fanbases. You would think the byu fanbase would be pretty secure with itself but it's exactly opposite. For a team that supposedly doesn't care about us, it sure doesn't seem that way.

Anyway, you can complain all you want and say that you hate Utah as much as byu which is a little strange to me. I'll never say that. I love most of their fans and I respect their program. Most of them want to keep playing us every year in bb. Don't hate the fans, hate the administration. Now after we play next year their might be some more animosity, but until then...

:utah:

:utah: :state:

72AgGrad
RIP

Re: The Last Few Days Have Reminded Me How Cool Ute Fans Are

Post by 72AgGrad » September 5th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Generally agree, Jason. Though the attitude of the U of U athletic administration as become frustrating, indeed, infuriating,
I do not recall ever hearing a Ute fan advocate taking USU off their schedule. However, over the years, I have heard many
many BYU fans opine that they should not have USU on their schedule. We're just not good enough. We degrade their
standings in the national rankings. Years ago, when LaVell was still the coach, he used to have a post-game call in show.
I have a clear recollection of a BYU fan telling him on the air they should not schedule USU because one year USU might
get lucky and win the game, and ruin BYU's chances of winning the national championship, or ruining their players' chances
for national honors. I have neither seen nor heard much if anything since then which suggests that the BYU fan has
changed at all in that attitude.

Servo

Post by Servo » September 5th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Arrogance is the key symptom of thinking God is on your side. When one believes the (alleged) source of ultimate right/wrong supports you unconditionally, you can justify anything. That alone can explain the difference in arrogance between BYU fans and Utah or USU fans. And its not just the schools in the state of Utah who think BYU fans (in general) are jerks. Its Wyoming fans, TCU fans, SDSU fans, pretty much any school that has had to deal with BYU on a regular basis.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

travelingagg

Post by travelingagg » September 5th, 2011, 10:16 pm

Great post, Jensen. I've been thinking about this a lot too. Ute fans are actually very pleasant; I've also noticed this on Tony Jones' posts.

Here's what I think it comes down to. Self-confidence. University of Utah doesn't feel threatened by USU. They are in the best position in the state in terms of conference affiliation, they have had the best football program in the state over the past five years. BYU fans would deny this fact, of course. See their undefeated season, their successful bowl appearance history. . . they even won the last holy war.

This confidence was manifest in Auburn's fans. Coming off a national championship, they certainly didn't feel threatened by USU fans. In fact, they were the most gracious fans I have ever encountered.

BYU, on the other hand, can currently be considered the second best D-1 football team in the state. Their basketball program is traditionally second best to USU with the exception of last year's team. Additionally, BYU fans should be scared that USU is cathing up fast. USU steamrolled them last year and is coming of a heartbreaking loss to the defending national champions, #23 Auburn while they barely squeezed by bottom-dwelling Ol Miss. With BYU not really having a major sport they consistently dominate in, it leaves them feeling insecure which leads them to become self-righteous and embrace things they think differentiates them from UofU and USU.

Jordan Nathan’s #27 Fan

superaggie

Post by superaggie » September 5th, 2011, 10:32 pm

Those fans are not real ute fans. These are the band wagon fans in Utah. They cheer for Utah because they win. If and When we start winning, we will start winning some of these fans over.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » September 6th, 2011, 10:12 am

I've never hated the Utes as much as the Cougs and the only reason is that I find the Ute fans to be tolerable whereas Coug fans are mind-bogglingly douchey.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » September 6th, 2011, 11:04 am

I agree brownjeans...I always cheer for the Utes in the holy war...even tried to cheer for the zoobs one year when a win by the Y would have helped out the Aggies and the WAC, but after the first quarter..no amount of money the Ags would have received made it right to want byu to be successful. I want the U to do just good enough to keep Whittingham at the helm, I think the Utes are one of the only schools that GA would leave the Aggies to coach.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » September 6th, 2011, 11:07 am

I refuse to make sweeping generalizations. I won't classify an entire fanbase, such as BYU, as all being douches. I also refuse to classify all Utes as being cool. There are definitely some cool Utes out there, and plenty of them. But there are a fair number of douches, too (albeit a different flavor of douche than your stereotypical BYU variety).

BiocatAg

Post by BiocatAg » September 6th, 2011, 11:33 am

BigBlueDart wrote:I refuse to make sweeping generalizations. I won't classify an entire fanbase, such as BYU, as all being douches. I also refuse to classify all Utes as being cool. There are definitely some cool Utes out there, and plenty of them. But there are a fair number of douches, too (albeit a different flavor of douche than your stereotypical BYU variety).
+1

I have a lot of good friends who are Y or U fans, and just about all are complimentary toward USU. I've met douches from both fan bases, and have seen some among our fans as well. I guess I'm in the minority, but I've always observed more condescension from U fans toward USU than from the Y fans I know.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 6th, 2011, 11:36 am

My Ute Bro-in-law sent me a text after we went up 21-7 saying he was glad that they weren't playing us this year. 2012 in Logan should be a fun game.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » September 6th, 2011, 11:40 am

This is why I cheer for the UofU every game they play besides against us, but I've never cheered for BYU a second of my life..

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » September 6th, 2011, 11:41 am

BigBlueDart wrote:I refuse to make sweeping generalizations. I won't classify an entire fanbase, such as BYU, as all being douches. I also refuse to classify all Utes as being cool. There are definitely some cool Utes out there, and plenty of them. But there are a fair number of douches, too (albeit a different flavor of douche than your stereotypical BYU variety).
Well, if how the visitors on this board behave is any indication of fan base doucheness, then byu wins it hands down. Utah fans have almost always been quite civil.

I think that most Utah fans will root for the Aggies to do well this year. byu fans not so much. Even after the huge ef over with the Project. That says a lot.

SectionBAggie

Post by SectionBAggie » September 6th, 2011, 9:35 pm

I am of the opinion that the Ute fans have a great deal of respect for what GA did in SLC. They really think highly of him and legitimately want him to succeed. If he brings the Aggies along for that success, they are good with that ... to a point. If the day comes where USU starts to dominate them in FB (it could happen :) ), their support would disappear. For the time being, they don't feel threatened so they can support our successes. Think of how Aggie fans felt when LaVell took the byu job..."Great Aggie, lousy program, hope he does well." If you spend time on the Ute board, you know they are much bigger fans of our football team than our BB team. Doesn't take much to figure why.

nebj91

Post by nebj91 » September 6th, 2011, 10:14 pm

BYU fans are in their own little world. I really believe that most have no clue about anything other than their bubble in Happy Valley. I doubt the majority of Y fans would even know who Robert Turbin and Bobby Wagner are. Alot of it may be due to the lack of Aggie media coverage from Salt Lake. Other than Tony Jones and maybe Rod Zundel who else from Salt Lake even makes the trip to Logan to see what we have. It seems the Y fans have "little big man syndrome" where they need to put someone else down so they can feel good about themselves.

USUinventedswagger

Post by USUinventedswagger » September 7th, 2011, 8:02 am

It seemed like the whole state was behind us on Saturday. Utah and ybu fans were cheering for us to beat Auburn.

I don't hate any fanbase. They are just people rooting for their team. I do however cheer for Utah to lose every game except when they are the underdog against ybu. I root against both schools every game, but when they play each other I generally like to see the most chaos. I wanted ybu to win last year since they were the underdog. I also cheered for ybu during the Crowton era against urban.

The limitation of tyrants is the endurance of those they oppose. – Frederick Douglass

Locked Previous topicNext topic