Plea to the Football Gods

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
cache-aggie

Plea to the Football Gods

Post by cache-aggie » October 6th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Probably just as a effort to plead our case to the football gods for more fair outcomes, I thought I should quantify our 4th quarter heartbreaks over the last 5 years.
Our W-L record over the last 5 years when we were leading by < 10 or tied at some point in the 4th quarter (8-14)
W-L in games decided by < 10 points (6-15)
W-L when game was decided in the last 3 minutes (2-7). Those 2 come-from-behind games we've won in the last 5 years was last years back and forth game with SJSU, and before that (in 2006) when that same Riley lead us to a 13-12 victory over Fresno. We've had 7 others where we've been the victims.
It's time we've get some retribution!
Please hear our plea!

AggieFBObsession

Re: Plea to the Football Gods

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 6th, 2011, 4:44 pm

It's due to good coaching we're in the games you mentioned (excepting BG unless you didn't count his last year).

It's mostly due to depth that we're losing these 4th Qtr games, IMO. Perfect examples are BYU when we had to play somebody else at FS or CSU when we couldn't play someone of similar caliber to Lapuaho late.... Our defense is extremely porous late in games. The SJSU game last year, Nevin Lawson shouldn't have had to make a play in the end zone. The SJSU drive should've been stopped sooner, but I'm betting that our defense was out of gas.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » October 6th, 2011, 5:06 pm

AggieFBObsession wrote:It's due to good coaching we're in the games you mentioned (excepting BG unless you didn't count his last year).

It's mostly due to depth that we're losing these 4th Qtr games, IMO. Perfect examples are BYU when we had to play somebody else at FS or CSU when we couldn't play someone of similar caliber to Lapuaho late.... Our defense is extremely porous late in games. The SJSU game last year, Nevin Lawson shouldn't have had to make a play in the end zone. The SJSU drive should've been stopped sooner, but I'm betting that our defense was out of gas.
I respectfully disagree. I think the problem is 'scheme', not 'personnel'. or maybe we don't have the right personnel to play the prevent scheme we try to play. but we seem to play pretty darn well for 57 minutes, and then all of a sudden our personnel isn't adequate? C'mon...it's how we're using our guys, not who we're using...

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » October 6th, 2011, 5:54 pm

As part of the plea, can you make sure that the weather that just dumped a couple inches of snow a bit to the north of Logan doesn't move south?

BigPermAg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BigPermAg » October 6th, 2011, 6:06 pm

ShowMeAggie wrote:
AggieFBObsession wrote:It's due to good coaching we're in the games you mentioned (excepting BG unless you didn't count his last year).

I respectfully disagree. I think the problem is 'scheme', not 'personnel'. or maybe we don't have the right personnel to play the prevent scheme we try to play. but we seem to play pretty darn well for 57 minutes, and then all of a sudden our personnel isn't adequate? C'mon...it's how we're using our guys, not who we're using...
We don't always play prevent in the final 2 minutes. GA does the same thing he did at Utah and the same thing Sitake still does and that is rotate between man press and zone prevent with an occasional blitz mixed in. Our depth is definitely the issue.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » October 6th, 2011, 7:39 pm

cache-aggie wrote:Probably just as a effort to plead our case to the football gods for more fair outcomes, I thought I should quantify our 4th quarter heartbreaks over the last 5 years.
Our W-L record over the last 5 years when we were leading by < 10 or tied at some point in the 4th quarter (8-14)
W-L in games decided by < 10 points (6-15)
W-L when game was decided in the last 3 minutes (2-7). Those 2 come-from-behind games we've won in the last 5 years was last years back and forth game with SJSU, and before that (in 2006) when that same Riley lead us to a 13-12 victory over Fresno. We've had 7 others where we've been the victims.
It's time we've get some retribution!
Please hear our plea!

Vince Lombardi of the Green Bay Packers said "fatigue makes cowards of us all". That may account for much of our late game failures

See you all Saturday for the Wyoming game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic