Stay in wisky JOSH

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Re: Stay in wisky JOSH

Post by NVAggie » September 16th, 2012, 1:12 am

Tru dat Rabid.

AggieMeister

Post by AggieMeister » September 16th, 2012, 1:14 am

I think we need to gain a little perspective here. In the grand scheme of things, this loss means nothing. It's not like we would be playing for a national championship if we went undefeated. Can we still win the WAC? Yes. Can we still earn a bowl berth? Yes. Those are the only things we are capable of achieving and they are both still achievable. Also, now Utah State knows they can go toe-to-toe with the "big" programs and hold their own. That's huge. Finally...I am certain that Utah State feels much better about their loss than Wisconsin feels about their win. Let not your hearts be troubled Aggie fans.

AggieSports
RIP
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieSports » September 16th, 2012, 1:16 am

nothing personal androidag.

IMO

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » September 16th, 2012, 1:17 am

Fair enough.

dangeroos

Post by dangeroos » September 16th, 2012, 1:18 am

We need to hire a good sports psychologist. A better one than the one Cal has, though.

We have to go deeper.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » September 16th, 2012, 1:19 am

A win at Camp Randall gets the Aggies some more attention. Look what the loss at Auburn did for USU. winning these games get us to the next level.

UStater

Post by UStater » September 16th, 2012, 1:21 am

Honestly. We could use a better kicker, but I think we never should have put him in that situation. One of the toughest places to win for a reason. We should have got him a 20 yarder, then if he misses that we start casting stones. But the reality is, he missed a semi-hard field goal in an extremely hard environment.. What did we expect? Love our coaching staff, but was left scratching my head at the end

AggieSports
RIP

Post by AggieSports » September 16th, 2012, 1:22 am

AggieMeister wrote:I think we need to gain a little perspective here. In the grand scheme of things, this loss means nothing. It's not like we would be playing for a national championship if we went undefeated. Can we still win the WAC? Yes. Can we still earn a bowl berth? Yes. Those are the only things we are capable of achieving and they are both still achievable. Also, now Utah State knows they can go toe-to-toe with the "big" programs and hold their own. That's huge. Finally...I am certain that Utah State feels much better about their loss than Wisconsin feels about their win. Let not your hearts be troubled Aggie fans.

This game means nothing? You're kidding, right? We were a short FG away from beating 2 BCS teams back to back and putting USU ON THE MAP. Tell the boys who suit up that tonights game means nothing. We were on the verge of being ranked. Some of us look at the BIG picture. Bowl game? Been there.

IMO

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » September 16th, 2012, 2:40 am

I know Josh personally. He is as good of a kid as you'll find. He works hard. Guess what, there are about 4 or 5 other kickers on the team that the coaches could have put in that situation. After seeing all of them kick in practices and such. All 4 or 5 seem to be about the same level. Sucks that Josh has to live through this. But as Aggies we need to stand behind him as he is a member of our team.

There are plenty of other plays that could have gone another way tonight to win the game for us. This one just sticks out more.

As a kicker throughout high school I can vouch for how hard it really is. A ton of factors go into each attempt. This one had a lot on the line and any of you would be nervous as well. You can compare this to a college player attempting two free throws at the end of a game to win it. While free throws are possibly easier. PLENTY of players would miss at least one of them.

GO Aggies! This team is awesome and I can't wait to see where they go this season!

Josh, I got your back always man. Nobody else I'd want kicking the field goal tonight.

Bulls On Parade

AggieSports
RIP

Post by AggieSports » September 16th, 2012, 3:25 am

UStater wrote:Honestly. We could use a better kicker, but I think we never should have put him in that situation. One of the toughest places to win for a reason. We should have got him a 20 yarder, then if he misses that we start casting stones. But the reality is, he missed a semi-hard field goal in an extremely hard environment.. What did we expect? Love our coaching staff, but was left scratching my head at the end

We should have never put him in the situation? At Camp Randall? With a makable FG to WIN IT???? I love the kid! He's a local. But he's not that good. I don't blame HIM, I blame the coaches after 4 years and not getting better at kicker. I blame OUR SPECIAL TEAMS coach.

We were a 37 yarder from being 3-0 beating 2 BCS teams.But alas.......we don't have a kicker. Should I bring up missed extra points?

IMO

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 16th, 2012, 7:44 am

Its threads like this that could cost us the kicker we're so desperately missing.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » September 16th, 2012, 8:19 am

I would blame our pathetic punting game as much as anyone else for this loss. Seriously, when you can't punt the ball past the 50 yard line that is sad. And the punt that was returned had a minimal hang time for the coverage guys to get down the field. The funny thing is, at family day I was talking with Bennett and asked him if he saw the punter from La Tech. He said he was every bit as good as that punter (which is probably why Bennett was second in voting for the Ray Guy award :roll: ). Anyway, I left the conversation thinking he was arrogant. His punting really hurt us last night.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » September 16th, 2012, 8:57 am

AggieMeister wrote:I think we need to gain a little perspective here. In the grand scheme of things, this loss means nothing. It's not like we would be playing for a national championship if we went undefeated. Can we still win the WAC? Yes. Can we still earn a bowl berth? Yes. Those are the only things we are capable of achieving and they are both still achievable. Also, now Utah State knows they can go toe-to-toe with the "big" programs and hold their own. That's huge. Finally...I am certain that Utah State feels much better about their loss than Wisconsin feels about their win. Let not your hearts be troubled Aggie fans.
That's a losers mentality and I surely hope GA doesn't express this to the players. In fact, I'm quite sure he doesn't. Winning these games is how you turn your program around and recruit nationally. If we win, GA brings this up in the kid's living room in the middle of December. When we lose, it's a close loss that everyone around the country forgets about by Sunday morning.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » September 16th, 2012, 9:25 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
That's a losers mentality and I surely hope GA doesn't express this to the players. In fact, I'm quite sure he doesn't. Winning these games is how you turn your program around and recruit nationally. If we win, GA brings this up in the kid's living room in the middle of December. When we lose, it's a close loss that everyone around the country forgets about by Sunday morning.
I'd much rather win any day than lose.

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » September 16th, 2012, 10:29 am

I decided not to post until today for a reason. I didn't want to say something stupid ... We aren't ready yet it seems. It bugs me too.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

providencealum

Post by providencealum » September 16th, 2012, 10:54 am

ratofallaggies wrote:He's not a good kicker by any means but he's an Aggie. Have some class
+1 Give the kid a break. Yeah he missed the kick, but so do others across the country on all levels of play!

freakboy

Post by freakboy » September 16th, 2012, 10:56 am

That one play may not have lost the game for us, but it would have won it.

Abbyreece1

Post by Abbyreece1 » September 16th, 2012, 11:04 am

Honestly. We could use a better kicker, but I think we never should have put him in that situation. One of the toughest places to win for a reason. We should have got him a 20 yarder, then if he misses that we start casting stones. But the reality is, he missed a semi-hard field goal in an extremely hard environment.. What did we expect? Love our coaching staff, but was left scratching my head at the end
EXACTLY!!!!!!

AggieFirefighter

Post by AggieFirefighter » September 16th, 2012, 11:26 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:Its threads like this that could cost us the kicker we're so desperately missing.
+1 - Recruits DO read this board guys, Including one kicker who we have offered- His brother is Josh and his mother often visits this board. Keep it civil, Josh did not solely lose this game for us. There were many play that should have and didn't convert into points!

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » September 16th, 2012, 1:29 pm

I'll bet you my next paycheck that 90% of college football teams wished they had a better kicker. It's a crazy position. Good ball teams struggle with kickers all the time (see Boise, BYU, and a host of others) There isn't a Saturday goes by without a kicker missing a game winning kick for some very solid programs.

Josh is welcome back, just like the other 110 players on the team. This is and always will be a team game. I'm amazed at the progress of this team. Isn't it great that we now find fault in losing a game to a team like Wisconsin. The way I look at it, that extra $20M Wisconsin pumps into their program every year just bought them a 2 point victory over Utah State. Wow, you gotta love that ROI.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 16th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Shame on anyone that is calling out individual players. Who are we, BYU?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 16th, 2012, 1:45 pm

He is a kid. I am a grown man sitting on my couch watching him play a game. Who am I to criticize him? I'm upset we lost.....but nothing in my life has changed because he missed a kick.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » September 16th, 2012, 3:47 pm

There were shortcoming throughout the game. Game prep and game plan appeared good enough to win. Over the course of a game there are many plays which could affect the FINAL MARGIN. The missed kick was but the final play of an evening of missed opportunities and I am not excusing the kick, just saying it was the last mistake. Tough, nasty, disappointing, disheartening...choose your description, but it was what it was.

We are so far removed from four season ago I just have to take heart and conclude we are headed in the right direction and getting a bunch of the right results.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 16th, 2012, 3:55 pm

People act like this is the first FG Josh has missed. He's been very inconsistent his whole career here.. The sad part is none of our kickers are very consistent at all...

Blueballs

Post by Blueballs » September 16th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Ok, here goes. I don't post much on this forum. I read most of it, especially in season.
I'm as disappointed as anyone about this loss. I was standing in the stadium 100 yards from where Thompson was and I was shaking from nervous energy due to the anticipation of what the kick could mean to USU. The noise level was deafening. He was kicking on the end of the field where the most well organized and loudest student fans were sitting. This kid Thompson, in my opinion, has balls of steel to go out there with all of the expectations and hopes and dreams of his team mates as well as those of the entire Aggie nation hanging on his one leg. He was asked to deliver on this one kick something that his team mates could not do get done during the entirety of four quarters, save 11 seconds.
Not one of these haters posting on this page could have delivered under the circumstances I describe. Thompson was a trooper to go out there and give it his best shot. If it wasn't good enough for you, then apparently you could do better. You should sign up and try out for the position...I would love to see how you fare.

TeXasAGGIE

Post by TeXasAGGIE » September 16th, 2012, 9:45 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Shame on anyone that is calling out individual players. Who are we, BYU?

Gary Anderson himself called him out for missing that kick.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people criticizing any college athletes for mistakes they make. It's not like these are pop Warner kids, they are grown men that can handle a little criticism.

He should have made that kick, and if he can't make kicks like that he shouldn't be on a college football team.

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » September 16th, 2012, 10:04 pm

They are grown men???? Wrong! They are kids playing a game. They don't owe you or I anything. Calm down everyone.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

TeXasAGGIE

Post by TeXasAGGIE » September 16th, 2012, 10:09 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:They are grown men???? Wrong! They are kids playing a game. They don't owe you or I anything. Calm down everyone.

In my opinion, calling college athletes kids if far more degrading that criticizing them for mistakes they make on the field.

Blueballs

Post by Blueballs » September 17th, 2012, 4:48 am

So your logic seems to be that Thompson is a college football player, therefore he should make every 37 yard kick.
I saw Turbin get stuffed on a 2 yard run that would have given us the win against CSU last year. He is a college football player, he should be able to make 2 yards. I do not remember seeing this kind of reaction. No, the truth is you are very unhappy we lost a game we could have won. I get that, I feel that pain too. Thompson feels agony like no other. Nothing you have to say here really can be worse than what he is already feeling. But, he is an Aggie. He signed up to try and do the hardest job on the field. It does not always work out. I was there, it was freaking crazytown. you could cut the tension with a knife and eat chunks of it like cheese. This kid got up there and despite the negative energy of 100,000 screaming fans came within a few feet of victory. Yea it sucks he missed. But, it sucks more to throw him under the bus. I support him and hope he works to get better. I hope he gets a chance to redeem himself.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » September 17th, 2012, 6:12 am

I think we need to also remember that the kicker is a much different position in football. In the pros, kickers are fired for missing. That is their one job. Their job isn't like every other player on the field. Kickers are the heroes when they hit the kicks and zeros when they miss. If a kicker can't accept that role, they probably aren't mentally tough enough to be a kicker.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » September 17th, 2012, 12:06 pm

dangeroos wrote:We need to hire a good sports psychologist. A better one than the one Cal has, though.
Actually, we do have one of the best, Dr. Richard Gordin.

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 17th, 2012, 12:28 pm

Blueballs wrote:So your logic seems to be that Thompson is a college football player, therefore he should make every 37 yard kick.
I saw Turbin get stuffed on a 2 yard run that would have given us the win against CSU last year. He is a college football player, he should be able to make 2 yards. I do not remember seeing this kind of reaction. No, the truth is you are very unhappy we lost a game we could have won. I get that, I feel that pain too. Thompson feels agony like no other. Nothing you have to say here really can be worse than what he is already feeling. But, he is an Aggie. He signed up to try and do the hardest job on the field. It does not always work out. I was there, it was freaking crazytown. you could cut the tension with a knife and eat chunks of it like cheese. This kid got up there and despite the negative energy of 100,000 screaming fans came within a few feet of victory. Yea it sucks he missed. But, it sucks more to throw him under the bus. I support him and hope he works to get better. I hope he gets a chance to redeem himself.
He's not thrown under the bus, he just isn't very good. This is very different then the Boise kicker a few years back that missed the kick that ultimately cost Boise a BCS run. Our special teams, and especially our kickers have not been very good for awhile now. Turbin was really good. But if he weren't i'd be saying the same thing. The whole point isn't to rail on Josh Thompson alone.This speaks just as much to Nick Diaz. Either we're failing to evaluate and recruit adequate kicking or the kickers and ST coaches aren't working hard enough to develop them.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » September 17th, 2012, 12:29 pm

For some reason this thread reminds me of this YouTube video...

[youtube][/youtube]

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 17th, 2012, 12:59 pm

^ and lets all just give everyone participation trophies. In my line of work,if you don't perform, you're gone. SImple as that. It's nothing personal, it's just the way it is. No one is saying Josh Thompson or anyone else is a bad person. No one is saying that its all Josh Thompson's fault we lost. We're voicing a valid concern that our kicking game is not up to par, and that it has hurt us. If you want we can all pretend that kicking isn't important, and engage in group think and ignore the issue. That worked well for the Space Shuttle Challenger.

TeXasAGGIE

Post by TeXasAGGIE » September 17th, 2012, 1:14 pm

Blueballs wrote:So your logic seems to be that Thompson is a college football player, therefore he should make every 37 yard kick.
Whether he makes the kicks or not has nothing to do with it. All I am saying is he deserves the criticism for missing it, he also deserves the praise for the kicks he makes. Jacobs deserves the criticism for those drops, and praises for his catches. It's all part of sports. If you think it is wrong to criticize college athletes then you are just plain wrong. Trust me these guys can handle it, they accepted it when they decided to play college ball.

Locked Previous topicNext topic