Non-Conference Games

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.

Which ONE Non-Conference Game would you most want to win?

@ USC
66%
@ UofU
5%
vs. BYU
28%

Total votes: 128

KadeUSU
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Non-Conference Games

Post by KadeUSU » February 12th, 2013, 11:08 pm

If you knew we would go 1-2 in the following non-conference games, which would you most like to win: USC, UTAH, or BYU? Explain why...

AggieAddict

Re: Non-Conference Games

Post by AggieAddict » February 12th, 2013, 11:17 pm

There was a time when i would have thought the instate games were more meaningful. However, After seeing what a near-win at Auburn has done for this program, I now know that a win at USC would mean far more to this program and not really even close.

My ranking of importance:

1. USC

2. BYU
3. Utah

I guess you could swap BYU and Utah. They're pretty much on the same level but i think winning home games is important.

KadeUSU

Post by KadeUSU » February 12th, 2013, 11:28 pm

AggieAddict wrote:There was a time when i would have thought the instate games were more meaningful. However, After seeing what a near-win at Auburn has done for this program, I now know that a win at USC would mean far more to this program and not really even close.

My ranking of importance:
1. USC
2. BYU
3. Utah
I guess you could swap BYU and Utah. They're pretty much on the same level but i think winning home games is important.
Well said. I do completely agree with you, and I voted accordingly. However, I should note that it sure stings rather deep to lose to the poogars, especially when we SHOULD beat them (6-3 flashback?).

Also, I can't help but feel that our wins against BYU and Utah in the last few years makes those potential-victories this year a little less valuable, almost expected.

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » February 12th, 2013, 11:40 pm

We'll be underdogs to USC and Utah, favorites over BYU. I think beating USC would be a bigger win for our program, national recognition, etc. Then beating BYU because we SHOULD beat them this year. Utah I think we can beat, but I don't care as much about that game and if I had to pick to lose 1 of the 3 it would be that one (close game)

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » February 13th, 2013, 5:56 am

If we beat USC we will kick-start the whole national conversation about Lane Kiffin's seat getting hot. I'd love that kind of attention. A win against BYU or Utah always helps in-state recruiting, but I think beating USC would too.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 13th, 2013, 6:31 am

Beating USC gives us national recognition a la Auburn a few years ago. I have been aching to win one of these body bag games for a long time. I think beating BYU would be more beneficial in the Utah recruiting ranks and it is a home game. Beating Utah also help in our recruiting, and I would love to get another one over those losers.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 13th, 2013, 7:21 am

I recognize that USC would be the most important, but I still voted for BYU. Just want to beat them.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » February 13th, 2013, 8:53 am

I was selfish with my vote...while I agree the USC game would elevate the program the most. I live in Utah County and work in Provo surrounded by zoobs, so I really want to win that one. The last two years have been extremely difficult to swallow.
Last edited by breadysmith on February 13th, 2013, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 13th, 2013, 8:59 am

Here is my order:
USC (National Exposure)
BYU (Defend the Home Turf)
Utah (Good to get an in state win)

This last year my order was:
Wisconsin
Utah
BYU

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » February 13th, 2013, 1:15 pm

Can you imagine paying $500K - $1M to a team for a body bag game, only to see them come in and hand you a loss? How long before these teams refuse to pay us as a body bag opponent? When these schedules were made it was perceived that there was pretty much zero threat that we would win these games. I know we're scheduled for Tennessee in 2014, but do we have anything scheduled out past that point (body-bag wise)? Will we be able to continue to get the caliber of teams and payouts that we have been?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » February 13th, 2013, 1:21 pm

a loss to ybu would be absolutely unacceptable this year. The other two I could swallow.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Lightbringer

Post by Lightbringer » February 13th, 2013, 1:48 pm

I voted for BYU, simply because we NEED to win in-state games at home and with how close the last two games against them were, we need to show we can finish them off one of these times. If we lose this home game to BYU and then have to go back to Provo the following two years (where it is difficult to win), I would be very dissapointed.

The other two games would be great for exposure and what not, but I think we have the most to lose with BYU... but I'm a pessimist. :noidea:

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » February 13th, 2013, 2:03 pm

treesap32 wrote:Can you imagine paying $500K - $1M to a team for a body bag game, only to see them come in and hand you a loss? How long before these teams refuse to pay us as a body bag opponent? When these schedules were made it was perceived that there was pretty much zero threat that we would win these games. I know we're scheduled for Tennessee in 2014, but do we have anything scheduled out past that point (body-bag wise)? Will we be able to continue to get the caliber of teams and payouts that we have been?
Do we have anything to back this up besides having seen it on a slide that Scott Barnes didn't mean to show? Don't get me wrong, I am hoping really hard that this one is real, but it doesn't really sound like anything has been finalized, and may not even be in the works anymore. I remember rumors about a 2010 or 2011 game at Florida St, too, but that never happened. Of course, Auburn turned out to be an even better game for me to attend. Still, I'm going to be really bummed if we suddenly start hearing that our 2014 money game turns out to be @Northwestern, or something. I think they should stick to schools within a 6 hour drive of Huntsville from here on out.

RigAggie

Post by RigAggie » February 13th, 2013, 2:07 pm

It took all I had to pick USC and not pick BYU as the game I most want to win this year. I know that USC would mean a ton for this program, but I just can't stand losing to BYU.

UncleRico

Post by UncleRico » February 13th, 2013, 2:48 pm

treesap32 wrote:Will we be able to continue to get the caliber of teams and payouts that we have been?
With the Big Ten reportedly dropping games against FCS opponents, they will still be needing games against non BCS schools. If they don't want to pay big $, I would even be ok with a 2 for 1 with Ohio State. I'm sure Urban would like coming to Logan again twice. :)

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 13th, 2013, 2:55 pm

BigBlueDart wrote:
treesap32 wrote:Can you imagine paying $500K - $1M to a team for a body bag game, only to see them come in and hand you a loss? How long before these teams refuse to pay us as a body bag opponent? When these schedules were made it was perceived that there was pretty much zero threat that we would win these games. I know we're scheduled for Tennessee in 2014, but do we have anything scheduled out past that point (body-bag wise)? Will we be able to continue to get the caliber of teams and payouts that we have been?
Do we have anything to back this up besides having seen it on a slide that Scott Barnes didn't mean to show? Don't get me wrong, I am hoping really hard that this one is real, but it doesn't really sound like anything has been finalized, and may not even be in the works anymore. I remember rumors about a 2010 or 2011 game at Florida St, too, but that never happened. Of course, Auburn turned out to be an even better game for me to attend. Still, I'm going to be really bummed if we suddenly start hearing that our 2014 money game turns out to be @Northwestern, or something. I think they should stick to schools within a 6 hour drive of Huntsville from here on out.
That slide is the only confirmation that we have as of right now but that's good enough for me. I know that things can change over time but I don't know why they'd put Tennessee on an incomplete schedule if the game didn't have some form of contract with it.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » February 13th, 2013, 3:03 pm

ViAggie wrote:a loss to ybu would be absolutely unacceptable this year. The other two I could swallow.

I agree with ViAggie about the necessity of beating the Y this year. We also have a decent shot at Utah in SLC. USC would be stupendous, but with GA leaving and the new staff being an unknown commodity I am reduced to hope vs. expectation.

Aggie80

Post by Aggie80 » February 13th, 2013, 3:54 pm

I want to say USC, but I just don't think we're to the point where a win like that will do much for us nationally, especially early in the season. It would be considered further proof that a coaching change is needed at USC rather than evidence of our rise up the national food chain. A rivalry win against YBU is much more important for pride, respect, and excitement locally and I think we're still in the stage where that matters most. Besides, we would still have another chance at making a national splash with a late game against Boise.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » February 14th, 2013, 10:29 am

Beating USC would be huge for the program and will garner us some national recognition. I just can't stand losing to temple tech in anything. There is no way that we lose to Utah in 2013, unless we go in and absolutely lay a goose egg, like we did in the 6-3 game. They have lost way too much on defense and are probably going to be breaking in a new QB, and the offensive line was a total mess. Utah is not reloading in 2013, the are rebuilding.

Knetts

Post by Knetts » February 14th, 2013, 12:51 pm

I chose USC because it means more nationally to our program and more recruits watch USC than YBU. It was tough to chose though because of my pure hatred for YBU. I used to like YBU but I just cant stand their fans. Now I like YBU just like I like the Cowboys of the NFL. I like anyone that beats them.

coachspack

Post by coachspack » February 15th, 2013, 12:44 am

USC may have more bang, but if I have to put up with any more smug attitudes from zoobies I will puke, probably daily for a week. I am traveling from Alaska to watch the YBU game. They need to win.

KadeUSU

Post by KadeUSU » February 15th, 2013, 12:50 am

Easy solution to this argument is WIN ALL THREE! I think we can all agree this would be just fine...

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » February 15th, 2013, 1:23 am

coachspack wrote:USC may have more bang, but if I have to put up with any more smug attitudes from zoobies I will puke, probably daily for a week. I am traveling from Alaska to watch the YBU game. They need to win.
Me too, hope it's cold I'm bringing my beaver mitts!

Hail Aggies!

Blue Away

Post by Blue Away » February 15th, 2013, 7:55 am

With the MWC schedule and money, the body bag games become less important, especially if we win, go to bowls, and sell home season tickets. Evolving to that point in just three seasons would be sweet.

MaeUSU

Post by MaeUSU » February 22nd, 2013, 7:31 pm

If its a close win, USC. If its a commanding, soul crushing win, BYU. I want them to lose so bad that zoobs can't explain their loss.

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » February 22nd, 2013, 9:44 pm

MaeUSU wrote:If its a close win, USC. If its a commanding, soul crushing win, BYU. I want them to lose so bad that zoobs can't explain their loss.
The zoobs still rationalize that 54-3, or whatever it was, loss to Utah 2 years ago. No way they would have lost that game if... It's all over cougarboard. No soul-crushing defeat could ever defeat their mind-crushing stupidity.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » February 22nd, 2013, 9:45 pm

If only that were the case Mae...we crushed the zoobs in 2010 but they spun that away as a fluke.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » February 23rd, 2013, 7:53 am

I voted ybu, only because I get physically sick and beat my dog and stuff when we lose to ybu.

I was out of town this week and missed the basketball game (strangely enough I could not find ybutv in the south) and my dog was happy.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Locked Previous topicNext topic