Ben Napoleon Wilson 1320 KFAN

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
BigEZ43

Ben Napoleon Wilson 1320 KFAN

Post by BigEZ43 » August 8th, 2013, 12:00 pm

This guy has been ripping BYU's former O-Line coach for a while now, but he's really at it today, saying their line was soft last year and the coaching was terrible. Isn't that Mark Weber, our new O-Line coach? I don't know if this guy knows what he's talking about yet, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

TheRealTO

Re: Ben Napoleon Wilson 1320 KFAN

Post by TheRealTO » August 8th, 2013, 12:08 pm

I've heard quite a few BYU fans rip on Weber since we hired him. Just like they were ripping on Anae a few years back ... Now he returns and he's the savior of last year's inept offense? Weber has a lot of experience, I'm sure he'll be a solid addition.

LiveLifeLoud
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LiveLifeLoud » August 8th, 2013, 12:09 pm

Their O-line problems were more an offensive identity problem than a position coaching problem in my opinion. Those O-linemen were not recruited to run the offense(s) Doman was trying to implement. The guy couldn't make up his mind. Mark Weber had plenty of excellent lines over the years.

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » August 8th, 2013, 12:14 pm

LiveLifeLoud wrote:Their O-line problems were more an offensive identity problem than a position coaching problem in my opinion. Those O-linemen were not recruited to run the offense(s) Doman was trying to implement. The guy couldn't make up his mind. Mark Weber had plenty of excellent lines over the years.
This is what I'm hoping. I'm still on the fence. I don't think we will see how good/bad he is until 2014 when we have a lot of new faces at O-line.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » August 8th, 2013, 12:25 pm

And Wilson is an idiot.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 8th, 2013, 12:26 pm

LiveLifeLoud wrote:Their O-line problems were more an offensive identity problem than a position coaching problem in my opinion. Those O-linemen were not recruited to run the offense(s) Doman was trying to implement. The guy couldn't make up his mind. Mark Weber had plenty of excellent lines over the years.
Salient point, imo.

A coach doesn't go somewhere and suddenly forget how to do stuff. Brandon Doman was responsible for their offense last year. If he told Weber to train them a certain way, then how is their failure Weber's fault?

If our O-line sucks after 2 years or so of Weber's tutelage, we'll know know whether talking heads were correct. I'm betting they aren't.

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » August 8th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Not putting anything passed our coaches current (Weber) or former (Woods) but, Tyler Larsen is a very cerebral player. He knows and understands the game and when and how to speak up when things are working and how to suggest what to do when things aren't working so well. He is like having a coach on the field. We are damn lucky to have him.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 8th, 2013, 12:50 pm

I will tell you that BYU's line progressively got worse under him. Now whether that was all on him or a combination of him, Doman, the BYU Strength and Conditioning or what I cannot tell you. But it would give me a slight concern.

I can also tell you that I have a cousin that works in the strength & conditioning program at BYU. Over the past few years he has routinely called their team "soft and lazy" in the weight room. IMO this speaks volumes to the work ethic instilled by the coaching staff. And it comes straight from the top. Bronco is notorious for not putting in a full effort. From his Slide n Slide/movie days to not using the full allotted amount of practices for Spring, Fall and Bowl practices. Hopefully Wells instills better work ethic in his coaches, or else you might see Weber fall back into his BYU ways.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 8th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Oh and I should add that Wilson is a huge BYU fan and makes no effort to show his true colors. Typical zoob in drinking the cool-aid and blaming others when (I can't express myself without swearing) hits the fan.

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 8th, 2013, 12:55 pm

If Weber stinks, and Wells is worth a darn, Weber will be gone. It's that simple.

newtonianblue

Post by newtonianblue » August 8th, 2013, 12:58 pm

This is exactly correct. We have the right guy for the job - and he's glad to be out of that system ;)

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » August 8th, 2013, 1:37 pm

...and he shall not be named was a shoe in for the Heisman...

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 8th, 2013, 1:53 pm

How many Pac-12 teams has he coached for? I don't think he would have the resume that he does if he really sucked that bad.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 8th, 2013, 2:03 pm

LarryTheAggie wrote:How many Pac-12 teams has he coached for? I don't think he would have the resume that he does if he really sucked that bad.
To answer your question...he has coached for 2 Pac-12 schools and been fired by both of them. One after a nice little 1-10 season :shock:

LarryTheAggie

Post by LarryTheAggie » August 8th, 2013, 2:21 pm

He still has a pretty impressive resume.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » August 8th, 2013, 2:22 pm

Any team that finishes the season 1-10 has multiple issues. The offensive line may have sucked but to be that bad you have to have bad coaching all over the field.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » August 8th, 2013, 2:39 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
LarryTheAggie wrote:How many Pac-12 teams has he coached for? I don't think he would have the resume that he does if he really sucked that bad.
To answer your question...he has coached for 2 Pac-12 schools and been fired by both of them. One after a nice little 1-10 season :shock:
Is it safe to assume the entire staff was fired?

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 8th, 2013, 2:59 pm

jackmormon wrote:
UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
Is it safe to assume the entire staff was fired?
The one at Oregon State, not at UCLA.

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » August 8th, 2013, 3:14 pm

ag4fr wrote:BYU also had some very good o-lines while Weber was there.

BYU O-Line issues:

- Big Slow Drop Back Pass Protectors recruited. Doman/Riley tried to change offensive style

- Recruiting at byu has softened over the past 3-4 years with Independence. 3 to 4 years ago, at any given time, BYU had 2-3 O-line guys that were on their way to the NFL. Now they are lucky if they have 1. I don't hang this all on Weber.

- BYU's strength program has softened. They used to have all of these "hulk" O-line guys. I just don't see them any more. I don't hang that all on Weber.
I can agree with this to a degree. The line didn't really start going downhill until Anae left. That is his specialty and I don't think that should be overlooked

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » August 8th, 2013, 3:24 pm

ag4fr wrote:- Recruiting at byu has softened over the past 3-4 years with Independence. 3 to 4 years ago, at any given time, BYU had 2-3 O-line guys that were on their way to the NFL. Now they are lucky if they have 1. I don't hang this all on Weber.
False.

My brother in law and father in law both have told me how amazing their recruits are. I'm sorry, but they're right. :joking:

CaptainChaos

Post by CaptainChaos » August 8th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I don't know what to think, I have to admit, it will be something I'll be watching. I think the other coaches and the players would even recognize if there was a problem with Weber after a while... That being said, it looks like the O-line struggled quite a bit today and they had to run after practice, fwiw. From the article about todays morning practice.

astroman31

Post by astroman31 » August 8th, 2013, 5:07 pm

Rumors are all over the place about Weber. We'd like to think that with our Aggie glasses on everything is hunky dory, but where there is smoke there is likely a fire. What I hear is his recruiting efforts have softened over time - not following up, not pursing the recruits as hard, etc. But who really knows?

Locked Previous topicNext topic