Wells' coaching?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
noods
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Wells' coaching?

Post by noods » October 5th, 2013, 9:14 am

Questionable decisions by Wells:

Not going for it on 4th and 1 on about the 50. I don't remember at what point this was in the game, but I do remember that the score was still close and the D was still dominating. We weren't moving the ball and it was clear we were going to struggle to score. Why not take a chance there?

On the last TD why not go for 2 and then do an onside kick? In 1:30 they could have scored 8 and 8 to tie. I realize that this is about .0000001% from actually happening. But by kicking the PAT he made it 0% and showed he gave up. Maybe I'm naive but I want my coach to try to win until the clock runs out as long as there is a Lloyd Christmas chance of winning. sports can be pretty crazy sometimes. At worst, we practice a two point conversion and an onside kick in a games situation.

I realize I am nitpicking and we likely lose everytime under the circumstances. I'm still trying to cope with what happened. What a bummer last night.

Empire of Dirt
Been liked: 2 times

Re: Wells' coaching?

Post by Empire of Dirt » October 5th, 2013, 9:25 am

Wells is still learning.

I think that it was way apparent after the Utah game that there would be some serious coaching issues this year. I know this makes some people mad, but having a first year guy, there are going to be "learning moments."

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

AndroidAggie
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by AndroidAggie » October 5th, 2013, 9:41 am

Too early to call it on Wells.

I think he's doing fine, fwiw. I don't think we we were outcoached last night. I think we couldn't move the ball and we couldn't stop a few drives. Our defense needed to be able to come out in the 2nd half and stop BYU in order to give the offense some hope that if they could score we could keep it close. Unfortunately they scored twice in the 3rd quarter and put the game away.

BobWilson
Been liked: 6 times

Post by BobWilson » October 5th, 2013, 9:42 am

Here's something he should remember from geometry: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

2004AG
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by 2004AG » October 5th, 2013, 10:23 am

His coaching skills and his recruiting will be tested very soon.

He needs to coach up Garretson or Manning ASAP and he needs to bring in a couple playmakers on offense. We need a nakia jenkins, Aaron jones or Turbin type player for next year.

SaintAggie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by SaintAggie » October 5th, 2013, 10:33 am

Its the play calling I don't like. Both ybu and USC seemed to know what plays we were running. That was clear from the first play of the game. Even me, as a fan, am able to predict 30%-40% of the plays very well. The opposing coaches have us figured out with this play calling.

brian5562
Been liked: 10 times

Post by brian5562 » October 5th, 2013, 10:38 am

Play calling is just fine. It always comes down to execution. Without ck the execution of the plays called saw a huge drop off.

SaintAggie
Been liked: 8 times

Post by SaintAggie » October 5th, 2013, 10:44 am

brian5562 wrote:Play calling is just fine. It always comes down to execution. Without ck the execution of the plays called saw a huge drop off.
CK did throw a pic 6 first play... but im not missing your point. I agree. Still don't like the play calls however.

nismo1616

Post by nismo1616 » October 5th, 2013, 10:52 am

I've felt like he doesn't run the ball enough this year. Harrison threw the ball 41 times! Taysom threw it only 31 times, and he played the whole game.

TheAKAggie
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by TheAKAggie » October 5th, 2013, 10:56 am

noods wrote:Questionable decisions by Wells:

Not going for it on 4th and 1 on about the 50. I don't remember at what point this was in the game, but I do remember that the score was still close and the D was still dominating. We weren't moving the ball and it was clear we were going to struggle to score. Why not take a chance there?

On the last TD why not go for 2 and then do an onside kick? In 1:30 they could have scored 8 and 8 to tie. I realize that this is about .0000001% from actually happening. But by kicking the PAT he made it 0% and showed he gave up. Maybe I'm naive but I want my coach to try to win until the clock runs out as long as there is a Lloyd Christmas chance of winning. sports can be pretty crazy sometimes. At worst, we practice a two point conversion and an onside kick in a games situation.

I realize I am nitpicking and we likely lose everytime under the circumstances. I'm still trying to cope with what happened. What a bummer last night.
get everyone else off the field healthy , completely okay with not trying for another score .

Hail Aggies!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2013, 11:36 am

SaintAggie wrote:Its the play calling I don't like. Both ybu and USC seemed to know what plays we were running. That was clear from the first play of the game. Even me, as a fan, am able to predict 30%-40% of the plays very well. The opposing coaches have us figured out with this play calling.
I agree to this. Seems pretty predictable.

tkmad

Post by tkmad » October 5th, 2013, 11:40 am

As much as we moaned about the amount of screen passes in recent years, it has been interesting to see we basically never run a RB screen this year. It was a very successful play for us last year. Maybe we lost the right personnel, maybe teams keyed in on it. A little strange though.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2013, 11:44 am

I would also like us to take a few more chances and be mire aggressive with the play calling.

AndroidAggie
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 42 times

Post by AndroidAggie » October 5th, 2013, 11:46 am

We went long on 1st and 10 several times last night. Either Harrison was off or the receiver couldn't get separation from the BYU CB.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 5th, 2013, 12:04 pm

Maybe a trick plat once in awhile or going for it on 4th and one etc..

GeoAg
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by GeoAg » October 5th, 2013, 12:37 pm

This thread is pretty ridiculous. We've run plenty of RB screens. Most they time, they've been read and the RB is not open. Some want us to be more aggressive, but others are complaining that we throw too much on 1st down and don't run enough. We went downfield a lot last night, but Harrison couldn't put the ball on anybody. I think people are just looking for something to blame and the play calling is the scapegoat. Understand that our bread and butter play was no longer really available to us with Harrison in the game. Say what you want about him being the backup. I can agree with criticism there, but I just think you can't separate execution from play-calling enough last night to call anybody out about it. The level of execution plummeted on offense except for the OL once Chuckie went out.

Last night was the perfect storm of things that could go wrong for this team. Better to leave it in the past and look forward to Boise. We're going to find out quick what we have with Wells. If this team comes out ready to play with an appropriate plan for the new personnel, we are good, win or lose IMO. If we come out flat and play like we did in the 2nd half last night, we are in trouble.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

aggiefan444
Has liked: 1 time

Post by aggiefan444 » October 5th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Hopefully they remember we used to know how to run the ball maybe we oughta try it again. Theres no reason harrison threw the ball 40+ times last night

3rdGenAggie
2016 Kickoff Pick'em Champion

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 5th, 2013, 3:07 pm

If I cared enough, I would go drag up some old threads of people pissing about GA as the coach his first two years as the losses were piling up...but I don't.

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."
-Thomas Paine

hipsterdoofus21
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 215 times

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 6th, 2013, 2:52 am

aggiefan444 wrote:Hopefully they remember we used to know how to run the ball maybe we oughta try it again. Theres no reason harrison threw the ball 40+ times last night
For the most part I agree with those backing MW, but I still think we don‘t run enough. Joey D has shown he deserves 20+ carries minimum.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 6th, 2013, 8:20 am

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
aggiefan444 wrote:Hopefully they remember we used to know how to run the ball maybe we oughta try it again. Theres no reason harrison threw the ball 40+ times last night
For the most part I agree with those backing MW, but I still think we don‘t run enough. Joey D has shown he deserves 20+ carries minimum.
I agree about running the ball but most of those throws occurred when the Aggs were down 17 and 24. He had time and open receivers too. I think Boise brings a new balance to the run game.

hipsterdoofus21
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 215 times

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 6th, 2013, 10:38 am

We‘ve been saying that every week and it only held true at SJSU.

aggiefan444
Has liked: 1 time

Post by aggiefan444 » October 6th, 2013, 1:57 pm

Im not dissing on wells I like him I just dont like changing who we are. I believe mcgiven is calling the plays and hasn't done a good job on balance especially when joey D looks like he could handle more carries, Especially on first downs.

Locked Previous topicNext topic