Least returning starters next year

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Least returning starters next year

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 23rd, 2014, 2:16 pm

It gets a little scary thinking that we return the least starters in the NCAA next year. Phil Steele has us at 7, but Wade Denniston pointed out that we get Joe Hill back which can count and Nick Vigil getting us up to 9, still tied for last with 6 other teams.
Of interest, Tennessee and Wake Forest each return 10, Arkansas State returns 12, BYU, Colorado State and Hawaii return 13, Boise, San Jose State and Colorado State return 14, Wyoming returns 16, UNLV and Air Force return 15.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Re: Least returning starters next year

Post by QuackAttackAggie » January 23rd, 2014, 2:32 pm

Tennessee loses their entire line on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » January 23rd, 2014, 2:33 pm

With this stat I think what position is returning and who they are ie caliber of player is far more important than just the number of people coming back. I think we will have a good team in spite of so few returning players. We rotate so many guys in and so many guys already have experience that they can step into a starters role and be fine.

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » January 23rd, 2014, 2:36 pm

Yep. Some positions where we don't have returning starters, we still have a lot of experience. TE with Houston and DE with Larsen, Aliifua, and Nielsen come to mind.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

AggieFirefighter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by AggieFirefighter » January 23rd, 2014, 11:21 pm

The way we rotate players in and out frequently I don't think this will be an issue, We have players in every position who have seen good playing time. I'm excited to see what the team brings to the table.. I'll be in Tennessee for our opener!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

Sr. Tubastank

Post by Sr. Tubastank » January 23rd, 2014, 11:33 pm

I feel the OL will be the position group that will need to step up.

@Call_It_Ustate

MetsJetsAggies

Post by MetsJetsAggies » January 24th, 2014, 6:48 am

Sr. Tubastank wrote:I feel the OL will be the position group that will need to step up.
Yeah, and DBs

Losing Lawson, Byrd, TGW, Alexander, etc. will be rough initially I bet. I do like some of the guys we have behind them/coming in, though.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 24th, 2014, 7:42 am

I think next year's OL will look a bit rough at first but by the end of the year will gel and be better as a unit than this year's line.

cval
Been thanked: 0

Post by cval » January 24th, 2014, 8:48 am

We may not have a lot of returning starters, but we do have a lot of returning players with a lot of experience.

You don't win with 22 (or 25) guys. A lot of guys play and get a lot of experience without being starters.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 24th, 2014, 11:08 am

ag4fr wrote:I suppose it is a stat we should be a little worried about.

However, the two groups that make me the most nervous (OL and DB) do have a lot of guys that logged a lot of plays, even if they didn't carry the starter designation.
One thing that encouraged me is that the OL played better in the bowl game when Sini came out and Simonich went in. Hopefully Kyle Whimpy gets a med red, then we're only replacing 2 OL starters other than Simonich who looks to be able to step in just fine.

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."
-Thomas Paine

LKGates

Post by LKGates » January 24th, 2014, 3:05 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:

However, the two groups that make me the most nervous (OL and DB) do have a lot of guys that logged a lot of plays, even if they didn't carry the starter designation.
One thing that encouraged me is that the OL played better in the bowl game when Sini came out and Simonich went in. Hopefully Kyle Whimpy gets a med red, then we're only replacing 2 OL starters other than Simonich who looks to be able to step in just fine.
Any word on that? And if not, does anyone know when we might get word?

I also seem to remember a rumor that Kyle wasn't going to pursue the medical redshirt; he was done. Any basis to that? And this next one is a real stretch of memory, but I think I remember hearing that Kevin was also thinking about packing it in, even though he has a year of eligibility left. I don't know. I'm getting old, and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » January 24th, 2014, 3:11 pm

LKGates wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

I also seem to remember a rumor that Kyle wasn't going to pursue the medical redshirt; he was done. Any basis to that? And this next one is a real stretch of memory, but I think I remember hearing that Kevin was also thinking about packing it in, even though he has a year of eligibility left. I don't know. I'm getting old, and my memory isn't what it used to be.
How many games did he play in this year? If he played in more than 3 games he wouldn't be eligible for a med-RS

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 24th, 2014, 3:13 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:
LKGates wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:

How many games did he play in this year? If he played in more than 3 games he wouldn't be eligible for a med-RS

He's trying to get a redshirt from when Idaho st. put him in for one play his freshmen year. I had heard he basically won't know until right up closer to the beginning of the 2014 season.

Locked Previous topicNext topic