New Student Ticket Email

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
lcrasmus

New Student Ticket Email

Post by lcrasmus » August 17th, 2014, 10:36 pm

For those who need more info or haven't heard the official news, this is the email that got sent to every student with an email registered with USU at the moment. It came from Suzanne Thorpe, so if you are (or know) a student who doesn't know about it, its most likely buried in a spam folder or have just been ignored as most emails from here are. This should help clarify a lot of the questions that have popped up.

UTAH STATE STUDENT SECTION IS MOVING TO HARD TICKETS FOR ALL AGGIE FOOTBALL HOME GAMES STARTING THIS FALL!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING NEW TICKETING SYSTEM

The new USU Student ticketing system will NOT cost students anything, but will give students the opportunity to fully experience Aggie Football game day and improve the fan experience.

To obtain tickets:

• Students will be required to swipe their ID card the week of the home game at the TSC Card Office or the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum Ticket Office.

• Upon swiping your ID card, you will be issued a ticket with an assigned section and row (no seat numbers will be assigned).

• Students will have the opportunity to pick their seat.

• Students may bring up to four additional ID cards to swipe and redeem tickets, for a total of 5 ID cards.

• Hard tickets DO NOT GUARANTEE admittance to the football games.

• ID Cards are required in addition to hard tickets upon admittance, and will be swiped at the student gate for every home football game.

• The student sections will be heavily ushered beginning 90 minutes prior to kick off (when gates open), up until 10 minutes prior to kick off to assist students in finding their designated section and row.

Release Dates, Times & Locations:

• USU students can start picking up their hard tickets the Monday prior to each home football game, except when a game falls on a holiday week, pick up dates/times will be adjusted accordingly.

• Please note the only place tickets can be redeemed on first day of distribution during the initial rush is the TSC Card Office
from 7:00 am – Noon. The Spectrum Ticket Office will begin distribution at Noon that day.

USU CARD OFFICE- TSC 2ND FLOOR DEE GLEN SMITH SPECTRUM TICKET OFFICE WEST ENTRANCE

RELEASE DATE RELEASE TIME RELEASE DATE RELEASE TIME OPPONENT/DATE

Tuesday, Sept. 2nd 7:00 am Tuesday, Sept. 2nd 12:00 pm Idaho State / Sept. 6

Monday, Sept. 8th 7:00 am Monday, Sept. 8th 12:00 pm Wake Forest / Sept. 13

Monday, Oct. 6th 7:00 am Monday, Oct. 6th 12:00 pm
Air Force / Oct. 11

Monday, Oct. 20th 7:00 am Monday, Oct. 20th 12:00 pm
UNLV / Oct. 25

Monday, Nov. 10th 7:00 am Monday, Nov. 10th 12:00 pm
New Mexico / Nov. 15

Monday, Nov. 17th 7:00 am Monday, Nov. 17th 12:00 pm
San Jose State / Nov. 21

• Students waiting for tickets prior to the release time may do so at the West Entrance of the TSC.

• After the initial release times, student tickets will be available at the TSC Card Office and Spectrum Ticket Office during regular business hours.

TSC Card Office Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm

Spectrum Ticket Office Hours: Monday-Friday 10:00 am- 5:00 pm

If USU Students do NOT Obtain Tickets or Game is Sold Out:

• If game is not sold out and USU students do not have a hard ticket on game day, you may still gain admittance by swiping your ID card at the gate.

• If game IS SOLD OUT and USU students do not have a hard ticket on game day, a STAND BY LINE will be at the southeast
gates. Students in the standby line will gain admittance 15 minutes after kickoff IF students who picked up hard tickets do
not show up by that time.

Please remember that if you obtain a hard ticket, you are not guaranteed admittance to the game. All students with hard tickets must present their hard ticket and swipe their valid USU ID card at the gates and be in their designated section and row 10 minutes prior to kickoff.

Questions or concerns? Please email to hurd@aggiemail.usu.edu and we will reply at our earliest convenience. Thank you for your cooperation and support of Utah State Athletics.

GO AGGIES!

For updates on ticket availability throughout the week leading up to game day, or for additional information follow Utah State Athletics and The Hurd on Facebook and Twitter or visit utahstateaggies.com.

** STUDENTS AT USU EASTERN NOT ELIGIBLE **

NAggsty Butler

Re: New Student Ticket Email

Post by NAggsty Butler » August 17th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Here's the thing I am worried about-
Before this, my wife (who is not a current student) would buy a ticket and come sit with me and my 5 year old son in the student section because we could sit where ever. Now? She doesn't think she will be attending the games this season due to this. Kinda frustrated. I'm a student. I can't afford to go and buy a lot of tickets just so I can sit with my family.
Last edited by NAggsty Butler on August 17th, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

mjord07
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mjord07 » August 17th, 2014, 10:59 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:Here's the thing I am worried about-
Before this, my wife (who is not a current student) would buy a ticket and come sit with me in the student section because we could sit where ever. Now? She doesn't think she will be attending the games this season due to this. Kinda frustrated. I'm a student. I can't afford to go and buy a lot of tickets just so I can sit with my family.
Shouldn't a spouse's card solve that?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » August 17th, 2014, 11:00 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:Here's the thing I am worried about-
Before this, my wife (who is not a current student) would buy a ticket and come sit with me in the student section because we could sit where ever. Now? She doesn't think she will be attending the games this season due to this. Kinda frustrated. I'm a student. I can't afford to go and buy a lot of tickets just so I can sit with my family.
Why don't you get the student spouse pass. 40 dollars and it gets you every benefit of an actual student card. Access to every game, computer labs, etc.

http://usucard.usu.edu/htm/getcard/spouse/

It counts as one of the student cards for picking up tickets at the TSC. Exact same rules.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » August 17th, 2014, 11:01 pm

I edited to include the information about my 5 year old son. He won't be able to sit with us. And my wife doesn't want to come without him.

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 17th, 2014, 11:02 pm

I hadn't seen this prior to starting my prior message, and befaise you can pick up 4 tockets, i am more ok with it.

However, many of us who froze are tails off camping for the byu game and didnt get our card swiped aren't too thrilled with the USUSA's logistical capabilities.

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » August 17th, 2014, 11:05 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:I edited to include the information about my 5 year old son. He won't be able to sit with us. And my wife doesn't want to come without him.
I believe that with a spouse card comes the ability to get Jr. Aggie tickets that will be able to join you. I can't imagine they'd restrict that. You'll have to investigate.

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » August 17th, 2014, 11:07 pm

lcrasmus wrote:
NAggsty Butler wrote:I edited to include the information about my 5 year old son. He won't be able to sit with us. And my wife doesn't want to come without him.
I believe that with a spouse card comes the ability to get Jr. Aggie tickets that will be able to join you. I can't imagine they'd restrict that. You'll have to investigate.
If this is the case, then I will feel much more comfortable about it. I'll have to call and find out.

Aggiesun

Post by Aggiesun » August 17th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Hmm... So it looks like you have to bring the ID cards to get the extra 4 tickets. It takes some coordination for this and I honestly see us losing the casual student fan a lot more than with the current unstructured system. The casual fans wait until the last minute and then tag along. If they aren't guaranteed to sit with their friends, they won't make the walk to the stadium. It's the sad reality I think.

This is an interesting year for the experiment as well. I'd be very surprised (but also overjoyed) if we sold out most of the home games this year. If we don't sell them out, this doesn't really serve to help at all, right?

lcrasmus

Post by lcrasmus » August 17th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Aggiesun wrote:Hmm... So it looks like you have to bring the ID cards to get the extra 4 tickets. It takes some coordination for this and I honestly see us losing the casual student fan a lot more than with the current unstructured system. The casual fans wait until the last minute and then tag along. If they aren't guaranteed to sit with their friends, they won't make the walk to the stadium. It's the sad reality I think.

This is an interesting year for the experiment as well. I'd be very surprised (but also overjoyed) if we sold out most of the home games this year. If we don't sell them out, this doesn't really serve to help at all, right?
It means kids can tailgate and still get good seats. That's really the point of all of this.

Aggiesun

Post by Aggiesun » August 17th, 2014, 11:15 pm

lcrasmus wrote:
Aggiesun wrote:Hmm... So it looks like you have to bring the ID cards to get the extra 4 tickets. It takes some coordination for this and I honestly see us losing the casual student fan a lot more than with the current unstructured system. The casual fans wait until the last minute and then tag along. If they aren't guaranteed to sit with their friends, they won't make the walk to the stadium. It's the sad reality I think.

It means kids can tailgate and still get good seats. That's really the point of all of this.
I get that- I've seen about 6 posts to that effect. I think it's a trade off- catering to those students who like to tailgate (and will be at the game regardless) or making it easier on the casual fans who will not come because of this change. Maybe the culture will change, but Id currently think the casual fans turned away by this far outnumber those tailgating.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » August 17th, 2014, 11:15 pm

Reporting this here because this is the more relevant thread:

Does anybody remember last year? The first game against Weber there was a HUGE line of people all the way leading up the street for students. For Weber. Then a large group of students came down the hill as part of the Aggie Stampede (a tradition I would love to see continue by the way) and they had to then get behind all these people in line. After that, the stampede attendance sucked because if you did it, you didn't get a "good" seat up close. (Whether you think close seats are good or not, most students like to sit close).

Now imagine this current system...

Everyone of those several hundred people in line could be down tailgating and partying it up. All of the stampede people would continue "stampeding" for future games too. All this because they knew that the seat (row) they were going to sit in would be there as long as they got inside before kickoff.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather be known for a good tailgate environment than a good "line environment."

Also, what is so hard about getting a ticket before a game? You do it for every single other sporting event you attend. And after two years if this, most students won't know anything else so they won't care.

Bulls On Parade

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » August 17th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Agreed, I see us losing a lot of students. I'll bet these casual students will either be completely unaware of the new system and get turned away on game day, or will forget to pick one up early enough and lose motivation to go. Hopefully it won't be so bad.

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » August 17th, 2014, 11:17 pm

I feel like people will make the extra effort for big games, most people understand the need for something like this when a big name comes to town. For other games, well, students have yet to consistently show that they'll fill the student section, so anyone who shows up on gameday with just their ID card shouldn't have a problem getting in and finding plenty of space for them and their friends.

I'm all in favor of this idea.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » August 17th, 2014, 11:19 pm

Aggiesun wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:

I get that- I've seen about 6 posts to that effect. I think it's a trade off- catering to those students who like to tailgate (and will be at the game regardless) or making it easier on the casual fans who will not come because of this change. Maybe the culture will change, but Id currently think the casual fans turned away by this far outnumber those tailgating.
Those casual fans can still pick up a ticket at the game. And there is the standby line too. Also, if they want to sit by friends, all they have to do is get those friends to come sit a few rows up with them once the student section doesn't fill up. I really think people are WAY overthinking this.

Bulls On Parade

WAaggieFan

New Student Ticket Email

Post by WAaggieFan » August 17th, 2014, 11:21 pm

NAggsty Butler wrote:

Agreed, I see us losing a lot of students. I'll bet these casual students will either be completely unaware of the new system and get turned away on game day, or will forget to pick one up early enough and lose motivation to go. Hopefully it won't be so bad.
I drove down from Washington with my boys to watch the CSU game last year and it looked to me like the casual students were already lost and that was with the old system. They'll figure it out if they want to attend.

SchwartZTeve

Post by SchwartZTeve » August 17th, 2014, 11:28 pm

All I can say is hundreds upon hundreds of schools across the country use this system (along with, ya know, just about every other sporting venue I can think of) to great success, and most of those require a heckuva lot more money than USU asks. Getting the "casual fan" has nothing to do with the ticketing system as much as anything because we couldn't book them for non big games anyway. This ads a very large strength to the athletics environment by allowing students to tailgate more and will allow improvement over time for the confused fan, especially once they realize they don't have to stand in a line in ungodly weather just to gain about five rows on the next guy. We are incredibly talented on this board when it comes to overcomplicating things but this doesn't have to be one of those instances.

dogie

Post by dogie » August 17th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Socrates2121 wrote:
Aggiesun wrote:
lcrasmus wrote:

Those casual fans can still pick up a ticket at the game. And there is the standby line too. Also, if they want to sit by friends, all they have to do is get those friends to come sit a few rows up with them once the student section doesn't fill up. I really think people are WAY overthinking this.
Sitting by friends just messes up the experience because they might distract from the game. That's why I used to like the good old days of Aggies football (just five years ago) when I could get an entire section to myself for any game after October 10.

Aggie_Pride50

Post by Aggie_Pride50 » August 18th, 2014, 1:32 am

Does anyone know why they decided to implement this new system? I'm not bothered by it, but I'm not too sure why its come.

sancho839

Post by sancho839 » August 18th, 2014, 1:39 am

its been said like a million times already. it's fundamentally to get students to participate in tailgating more. its to deal with the demand that comes with having a good/very popular football team. just about every other school does this. it is not uncommon. its not a big deal.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » August 18th, 2014, 6:20 am

From a safety aspect, this will be a good change. There is something inherently dangerous about thousands of young people running down stairs and bleachers racing for the best seat. It would only take one serious injury or death to take the fun and excitement out of the experience. It also allows students to start tailgating which is a good thing.

On a side note, I remember buying the Jr. Aggie and spouse tickets. I never had to worry about who was sitting by who. There wasn't much of a demand on seating those days. I guess if you are really concerned just sit in general admission with your wife and kid.

stwinward

Post by stwinward » August 18th, 2014, 7:32 am

I think you're all missing the most important part of the v email. The part where they tell students that they can pick their seat. I would think choose might have been a better choice of words there. I for one don't enjoy watching people pick their seats in public. :)

smileyface

Post by smileyface » August 18th, 2014, 7:46 am

lcrasmus wrote: • Hard tickets DO NOT GUARANTEE admittance to the football games.
This is the part I don't understand. I like the rest of the system (I'm definitely going to tailgate this year and am incredibly excited) but if there is no guarantee of getting into the game, why wouldn't I stand in the ticket line just to make sure I get in? This statement kind of defeats the purpose of this idea.

Self-appointed Lord of Aggie Football Wikipedia. Please visit at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Aggies_football and feel free to make accuracy changes.

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » August 18th, 2014, 8:14 am

smileyface wrote:
lcrasmus wrote: • Hard tickets DO NOT GUARANTEE admittance to the football games.
This is the part I don't understand. I like the rest of the system (I'm definitely going to tailgate this year and am incredibly excited) but if there is no guarantee of getting into the game, why wouldn't I stand in the ticket line just to make sure I get in? This statement kind of defeats the purpose of this idea.
I think this is your answer:
lcrasmus wrote:• If game is not sold out and USU students do not have a hard ticket on game day, you may still gain admittance by swiping your ID card at the gate.

• If game IS SOLD OUT and USU students do not have a hard ticket on game day, a STAND BY LINE will be at the southeast
gates. Students in the standby line will gain admittance 15 minutes after kickoff IF students who picked up hard tickets do
not show up by that time.
If a game ISN'T sold out then there shouldn't be an issue of the hard ticket not getting the student into the game. If the game IS sold out and the student has a hard ticket and shows up on time then their ticket will still get them in the game.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 18th, 2014, 8:24 am

NVAggie wrote:From a safety aspect, this will be a good change. There is something inherently dangerous about thousands of young people running down stairs and bleachers racing for the best seat. It would only take one serious injury or death to take the fun and excitement out of the experience. It also allows students to start tailgating which is a good thing.

On a side note, I remember buying the Jr. Aggie and spouse tickets. I never had to worry about who was sitting by who. There wasn't much of a demand on seating those days. I guess if you are really concerned just sit in general admission with your wife and kid.
Spouses can get an ID now too. I don't know about kids.

iPhone

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » August 18th, 2014, 8:33 am

When I first heard about this change is was skeptic but I can see why they need/want this. From what I understand students will be able to select a section and row but not a specific seat number.

We all know however that people will still squish and try to get as close as possible. It will all work out, its just teaching everyone what to do that will be tricky. They have been teaching all the incoming freshman about this process during orientation already which is nice. I see just some upper classman being upset.

In the end. Athletics just wants to make as much money as they can. I don't blame them. This could be the start however of an all sports pass type route where we see the cancellation of the lump sum student fee and only those interested are ticketed and charged. But I see that happening only if some crazy nut is voted into office.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 18th, 2014, 8:34 am

smileyface wrote:
The next bullet is the key. You need the ID card along with the hard ticket to get in.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

kofdog

Post by kofdog » August 18th, 2014, 9:55 am

So another thought that this will do...The GA crowd lost a big chunk of seats in the end zone and now they may have just lost their ability to sit with the students. I know I've done it on many occasions, mainly cause of low student turn out. Of course I hope those days are done but the GA crowd that does that just got more squished.

smileyface

Post by smileyface » August 18th, 2014, 10:16 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:
smileyface wrote:
The next bullet is the key. You need the ID card along with the hard ticket to get in.
Hmmm.... ok. I think that should've been mentioned in that bullet. 'Twas rather ambiguous. But this is good news.

Self-appointed Lord of Aggie Football Wikipedia. Please visit at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utah_State_Aggies_football and feel free to make accuracy changes.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 18th, 2014, 10:51 am

smileyface wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
smileyface wrote:
Hmmm.... ok. I think that should've been mentioned in that bullet. 'Twas rather ambiguous. But this is good news.
You're correct, it should probably should have read "A hard ticket alone DOES NOT GUARANTEE admittance to the football game" instead of clarifying that statement with another bullet point.

BTW, I'm happy to see this system finally put in place and the students will learn quickly what needs to be done. It may take a couple of games for the upperclassmen to catch on but the incoming freshman will know no other way so it's not going to be a struggle for them. Like others have mentioned, this is really not new and is done in this same fashion at many other schools. This whole thing reminds me of camping out in the TSC for hard tickets to the marquee basketball games years ago. The die-hards that want to be in the front will still be the ones camping in line, only they will be camping in a different spot on a different day than usual, plus now they will get the luxury of tailgating and participating in pre-game activities as well. Win-win!

glendayle

Post by glendayle » August 18th, 2014, 10:57 am

The reason they say that a hard ticket does not gaurantee admittance is because people get them with a student ID and then give them to a friend or try to get a non-student in. If a student has a hard ticket and their ID they will always get in. This also is not new. Has been like this for decades(including when I was in school).

smileyface

Post by smileyface » August 18th, 2014, 10:57 am

Aglicious wrote:
smileyface wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:
smileyface wrote:
You're correct, it should probably should have read "A hard ticket alone DOES NOT GUARANTEE admittance to the football game" instead of clarifying that statement with another bullet point.

BTW, I'm happy to see this system finally put in place and the students will learn quickly what needs to be done. It may take a couple of games for the upperclassmen to catch on but the incoming freshman will know no other way so it's not going to be a struggle for them. Like others have mentioned, this is really not new and is done in this same fashion at many other schools. This whole thing reminds me of camping out in the TSC for hard tickets to the marquee basketball games years ago. The die-hards that want to be in the front will still be the ones camping in line, only they will be camping in a different spot on a different day than usual, plus now they will get the luxury of tailgating and participating in pre-game activities as well. Win-win!
I know I'm planning on "camping" in the TSC the day before tickets to the WF game are released. I think the camp-outs will still happen, they'll just happen on a different day and at a different place.

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » August 18th, 2014, 11:08 am

glendayle wrote:The reason they say that a hard ticket does not gaurantee admittance is because people get them with a student ID and then give them to a friend or try to get a non-student in. If a student has a hard ticket and their ID they will always get in. This also is not new. Has been like this for decades(including when I was in school).
That's only one scenario in which they are not gauranteed admission. The second scenario is as follows:
lcrasmus wrote:• If game IS SOLD OUT and USU students do not have a hard ticket on game day, a STAND BY LINE will be at the southeast gates. Students in the standby line will gain admittance 15 minutes after kickoff IF students who picked up hard tickets do not show up by that time.

Please remember that if you obtain a hard ticket, you are not guaranteed admittance to the game. All students with hard tickets must present their hard ticket and swipe their valid USU ID card at the gates and be in their designated section and row 10 minutes prior to kickoff.
If a student has a hard ticket and a valid USU ID card they can still be turned away if they are late to a sold-out game and that hard ticket has then been reassigned to a student waiting in the standby line.

glendayle

Post by glendayle » August 18th, 2014, 11:15 am

I don't see why that is a big deal. If you have a ticket, show up to the game when it starts. Once again, nothing new here. I think it has always been this way. It's just trying to train a different behavior for students for game attendance. Basketball has been selling out for years and similar things apply. These are non-issues and the students will figure out how to handle this "new" but not really all that new system.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 18th, 2014, 11:44 am

So, let's say Saturday morning rolls around and the non student seating is sold out, but the student sections still have a bunch of unclaimed seats. Can those be sold to the general public?

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

Locked Previous topicNext topic