3rd down

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ratofallaggies

3rd down

Post by ratofallaggies » September 17th, 2014, 1:44 pm

I think we're weak in trying to pump up the crowd for third down. I remember how utah would always blast "we must protect this house" and everyone would start to go bonkers. I'm not too creative so my ideas would be to blast zombie nation or sandstorm. But I know that you guys would have better ideas than me.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Re: 3rd down

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 17th, 2014, 1:56 pm

I thought the students did a great job bringing the noise on 3rd down all game long. The rest of the stadium needs help. If Flygare would just raise his voice when stating it's 3rd down and add some emphasis then maybe people would catch on without waiting for bells to chime.

AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16, '17 WTHCG

Post by AGinNEIowa » September 17th, 2014, 2:02 pm

for what?

AggieVoice
Has thanked: 0

Post by AggieVoice » September 17th, 2014, 2:05 pm

Something needs to be done. I remember at Utah last year, the ENTIRE stadium would stand up for every 3rd down. Yes, even the 85 year olds with bad backs. I know Utah and BYU (who I hate) have a big 3rd down sign they run up and down the aisle in the student section. I hate to copy our foes, but what works, works. We could even take it a step farther and run a big sign up and down EVERY aisle in the stadium to get the quiet west siders louder as well. It might look cool to see giant signs being run up every aisle at the same time. But who would do it?

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » September 17th, 2014, 2:11 pm

AggieVoice wrote:Something needs to be done. I remember at Utah last year, the ENTIRE stadium would stand up for every 3rd down. Yes, even the 85 year olds with bad backs. I know Utah and BYU (who I hate) have a big 3rd down sign they run up and down the aisle in the student section. I hate to copy our foes, but what works, works. We could even take it a step farther and run a big sign up and down EVERY aisle in the stadium to get the quiet west siders louder as well. It might look cool to see giant signs being run up every aisle at the same time. But who would do it?
I was thinking of this the other day and was going to suggest it if anyone asked my opinion. It seems to work for Utah. Something simple like "It's 3rd Down...BE HURD!" would work nicely.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » September 17th, 2014, 2:16 pm

Just tell Flygare to stop wasting his time with, "and it's another Aggie first down," and concentrate instead on yelling, "3rd down now stand up and yell all you lazy ba$tards! [insert school name here] just cancelled senior soup day/bingo/whatever!"

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » September 17th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Tell all of the people that yell at you to "sit down" to get over it and stand up and cheer anyway. I got yelled at to sit down when Wake was going for it on FOURTH down--even a lot of the West side stood up during that point and I still got yelled at. Our fans need a reminder that this is a football game, not LDS primary.

WAAggie

Post by WAAggie » September 17th, 2014, 2:21 pm

I agree something needs done, but for my first Romney game in 2 years, Saturday, I was quite surprised how many were actually doing the "It's another Aggie First Down"

Love or hate it, the crowd has that one figured out. Get that level of involvement on 3rd down, then talk about backing off the first down yell.

Even a big visual on the boards and combined with the anouncer we could improve 3rd down noise.

mwburn

Post by mwburn » September 17th, 2014, 2:23 pm

isrred wrote:Tell all of the people that yell at you to "sit down" to get over it and stand up and cheer anyway. I got yelled at to sit down when Wake was going for it on FOURTH down--even a lot of the West side stood up during that point and I still got yelled at. Our fans need a reminder that this is a football game, not LDS primary.
I sit on the west side and am just waiting for someone to ask me to sit down, calm down or something (I don't stand all the time, just at "appropriate" times). I will simply turn to them, point at the visiting team section, and politely inform them that they are in the wrong section. :rock:

Twitter: mwburn

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » September 17th, 2014, 2:35 pm

I also like the siren that Tennessee used instead of our hells bells. That siren gets people's attention, and believe it or not, not everyone realizes that it's 3rd down. Just over the TV, that siren sounded intimidating. Also, why lose the "first down" cheer. That's on offense, the 3rd down is for defense. They don't interfere with each other at all...

AggiePride

Post by AggiePride » September 17th, 2014, 2:39 pm

One of my favorite parts of the game last week was on a big 3rd down when Jalen Davis and another player looked at the West side and motioned for everyone to get up and got that side really going for the first time this season. I was sitting in GA in the SW corner and after that our group got up for most 3rd downs. The players made the difference on getting that going. Students did their thing all game, but the West side doesn't care to follow the students lead as much as just watch them.

With how huge our D has been for us and how long they are on the field every game, we've got to find a way to get everyone up and get louder for them on 3rd downs.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » September 17th, 2014, 2:43 pm

I think a train horn would be perfect for 3rd down.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 17th, 2014, 5:02 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:Something needs to be done. I remember at Utah last year, the ENTIRE stadium would stand up for every 3rd down. Yes, even the 85 year olds with bad backs. I know Utah and BYU (who I hate) have a big 3rd down sign they run up and down the aisle in the student section. I hate to copy our foes, but what works, works. We could even take it a step farther and run a big sign up and down EVERY aisle in the stadium to get the quiet west siders louder as well. It might look cool to see giant signs being run up every aisle at the same time. But who would do it?
I was thinking of this the other day and was going to suggest it if anyone asked my opinion. It seems to work for Utah. Something simple like "It's 3rd Down...BE HURD!" would work nicely.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
"THIRD DOWN IS HURD DOWN".

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » September 17th, 2014, 5:05 pm

isrred wrote:Tell all of the people that yell at you to "sit down" to get over it and stand up and cheer anyway. I got yelled at to sit down when Wake was going for it on FOURTH down--even a lot of the West side stood up during that point and I still got yelled at. Our fans need a reminder that this is a football game, not LDS primary.
Hey, wait a second... primary does "Book of Mormon Stories", with a fist pound, and "Once There Was a Snowman". It gets a little rowdy.

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » September 17th, 2014, 5:10 pm

We need more cowbell. Let's get some cowbells and have a 3rd down cowbell and yell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » September 17th, 2014, 5:31 pm

I like the "It's another Aggie... First Down!" Sure, you'll see the exact same thing at every stadium across the country, but everyone gets into and it helps with momentum imo.

As for 3rd down, I like the "Third down is HURD down" I think they should play some bagpipes over the loud speaker. It would definitely be unique.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 17th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Cheecho6 wrote:We need more cowbell. Let's get some cowbells and have a 3rd down cowbell and yell.

I actually thought about this as well. A few years ago I know we tried but it died off.

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » September 17th, 2014, 5:39 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
Cheecho6 wrote:We need more cowbell. Let's get some cowbells and have a 3rd down cowbell and yell.

I actually thought about this as well. A few years ago I know we tried but it died off.
We can't hand out any artificial noise maker. Its against MWC policy.

We wanted to do this but can't anymore.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 17th, 2014, 5:51 pm

kkalian311 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:

Can people not bring their own?

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » September 17th, 2014, 5:52 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
kkalian311 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:

We were told no. But try it and see what happens.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » September 17th, 2014, 6:15 pm

kkalian311 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
kkalian311 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:

Cowbells would be great. You could even try to get the establishment to help out by blasting Christopher Walken with his "I need more COWBELL" leading up to the huddle on 3rd down. But that would mean an 'official' buy-in from the AD, so probably not going to happen.

My other thought on this is that if we had a whole bunch of guys/gals sneak in those airhorn cans, they could make a ton of noise pretty fast and then they could be hidden away in a coat pocket when the kill-joy police come to collect them. plead ignorance. what are they going to do, strip-search the whole student-section? Something like this would be perfect: http://www.blasterstool.com/airhornwpump.aspx Re-useable, Rechargeable, and LOUD!!!

*I have no financial investment in ECOBLAST airhorns :)

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » September 17th, 2014, 6:20 pm

Using artificial noise making devices in gamed can result in fines from the MWC. Its not just if the school condones the use, but if it doesn't actively enforce people in the crowd from not using them. The reason behind it is that it can disrupt play on the field and result in hearing damage to other fans. At least that's what we were told as ushers.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » September 17th, 2014, 8:56 pm

Last year they came down multiple times to me to stop ringing my cow bell. We had a few in section 3 besides myself.
Years ago our cow bells felt like the only sounds coming from the crowd. Those were some bad football years...

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

tennisned

Post by tennisned » September 18th, 2014, 9:14 am

for what?
Good one! Tennessee cranked that, was pretty amazing to see.

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » September 18th, 2014, 10:32 am

Ushers came down to the West Side a few years ago when some BSU fans were ringing their cowbells. Made them stop. No tears were shed, but they did get a little pouty.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » September 18th, 2014, 11:09 am

newhouse9 wrote:Ushers came down to the West Side a few years ago when some BSU fans were ringing their cowbells. Made them stop. No tears were shed, but they did get a little pouty.
Tater Zoobs.

Sigh

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aggiefan33

Post by Aggiefan33 » September 18th, 2014, 11:13 am

ag4fr wrote:
Aggiefan33 wrote:Last year they came down multiple times to me to stop ringing my cow bell. We had a few in section 3 besides myself.
Years ago our cow bells felt like the only sounds coming from the crowd. Those were some bad football years...

Sent from iPhone using Tapatalk. Please forgive my improper grammar and/or spelling issues.
Who came down and told you to stop? I have never heard of this.
Ushers came down. The first game we ignored them. The second game they claimed that the league office called and gave them the mandate to end it. Similar to what Gretch or someone above stated.

After that, I stopped taking my bell :(

The harder you work, the harder it is to Surrender. - Men's Basketball locker room

aggieblood

Post by aggieblood » September 19th, 2014, 5:02 pm

I too had an usher telle to stop using me cow bell.

Go Aggies!

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » September 19th, 2014, 7:11 pm

aggieblood wrote:I too had an usher telle to stop using me cow bell.
I trust ye slit the blaggards throat!

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » September 19th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Hey now. Ushers are just doing their job so they can take home a paycheck. Petition the athletic dept and the MWC if you want cowbells

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » September 20th, 2014, 9:12 am

kkalian311 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:
kkalian311 wrote:
ratofallaggies wrote:

If I had a wookiee suit and a few loud speakers i could hide on my person I would just do random wookiee noises and we'd be good to go.

As it stands I like this idea... cowbells shall be smuggled in for the homecoming game on october 11 :cool2:

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Servo

Post by Servo » September 20th, 2014, 10:53 am

[youtube][/youtube]

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

AggieFirefighter

Post by AggieFirefighter » September 20th, 2014, 11:46 am

We should provide every person coming through the door with a cowbell.. Perhaps our own Archie can make this happen. What would the ushers do then??

"Primum Non Nocere" - "First, Do No Harm"

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » September 20th, 2014, 11:50 am

I actually wouldn't mind them blasting and playing this right after 2nd down ends to get the crowd going. Maybe this clip and then a LOUD siren or something.

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » September 20th, 2014, 4:47 pm

AggieFirefighter wrote:We should provide every person coming through the door with a cowbell.. Perhaps our own Archie can make this happen. What would the ushers do then??
Well, athletics would shut it down pretty fast. Its not the ushers being (I can't express myself without swearing), they are instructed by athletics to stop people from using them as they are against MWC policy and their use can result in fines against the AD. What do you want them to do, not enforce it and have our fan base get a bad reputation with conference officials? Let it become an issue that results in fines and punishments? Should individual ushers just look the other way and lose their jobs just because people are too lazy to make noise with their mouths and hands?

Locked Previous topicNext topic