Report of the rest of the luncheon

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 20th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Along with what I already posted about the quarterback thing since most of you would have been ancy to hear that, here is a report of the rest of the luncheon.

1. Wells got up and told us that on the way down, he talked with Waqa about how the true aggies will be there today to give him an ovation when he didn't deserve one. They played well, but not good enough. We have had two gut wrenching losses, Tennessee wasn't gut wrenching cause we didn't play well.
2. He got a text from someone telling him that a sign of the culture change is that CSU celebrates beating us like they won the super bowl. Does it make it a moral victory? No. Losses like that in the last second are never accepted and it starts with him. The kids are sticking together.
3. Kids have to rally around each other. He can't bring back Darell or Chuckie or Kyler. We have to play elite defense.
4. The first play of the game was one of the worst since he has been a coach here. There was poor effort and poor angles. That is not us.
5. On the fumble, he thought the kid should have just fell on the ball instead of trying to scoop and score. Cause when there are that many guys around, you don't try to scoop and score. Like last year at New Mexico, the guy did NOT try to scoop and score there and it gave us an opportunity. A side note, there are parallels between this and one year in the championship game when Jarrett Bush took heat from fans for trying to scoop and score instead of falling on the ball, but in contrast, the Packers special teams coach defended him.
6. We have to flip the field on special teams. We did not do that.
7. Football is about a one play mentality and he is trying to hammer it home.
8. The only things you can control are attitude and effort.
9. There is rehab after every loss. He doesn't tolerate self pity out of his players or coaches. They need to find a way to beat Vegas this week.
10. One thing that happened funny is the video went out cause the computer went to screensaver cause it sat there too long without being tapped.
11. Lajuan Hunt had a few nice runs and will play more.
12. On the touchdown run, Fisalau and Simonich had nice blocks.
13. One of the bright spots was Jaron with 2 punts inside the 20 and 3 over 50 yards.
14. Kicking was also a bright spot and there has been big improvement in protection.
15. Openly admitted that he didn't know the ball had to be live for there to a 10 second runoff after a penalty. Other coaches around the country didn't know that either until now. We couldn't have done any more after giving up the shot. The game should not have came down to it.
16. Gray and Stewart have earned the playing time they got.
17. Asked if he coaches kids to commit PI in the situation where we gave up that last shot. Told us that Yes, he does coach kids to commit PI in that situation. But it was on him cause he should have had the kid further back.
18. Asked about play calling and why they called screens that didn't work. Told us that he could think of three times he called that play and one time there was a missed signal and other times receivers or linemen missed blocks. It was an execution issue.
19. UNLV is coming off a bye week which is advantageous.
20. Jalen Davis plays well for a true freshman, but does make errors. On the first play of the game, he missed the first tackle but that was NOT the only missed tackle on that play, like even Nick Vigil missed one.
21. The O-line is easy to target, but it's not always their fault, receivers miss blocks sometimes and the corner will blow up a screen for a one yard gain. They have made improvements and go right to the film room at 415 in the morning right after getting back from Tennessee.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:08 pm

There was no excuse for his mistake with the ten second run off. If I know the rule, he should know the rule. It's been that way since they instituted the run off rule even I think.

I like the rest of what he says. I hope they execute and fix the mistakes.

hipsterdoofus21

Re: Report of the rest of the luncheon

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 20th, 2014, 2:16 pm

I didn't know the rule.

mchild82
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by mchild82 » October 20th, 2014, 2:23 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:There was no excuse for his mistake with the ten second run off. If I know the rule, he should know the rule. It's been that way since they instituted the run off rule even I think.

No excuse? It didn't hurt us. He tried something that did't work. I don't understand your frustration.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » October 20th, 2014, 2:24 pm

mchild82 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:There was no excuse for his mistake with the ten second run off. If I know the rule, he should know the rule. It's been that way since they instituted the run off rule even I think.

No excuse? It didn't hurt us. He tried something that did't work. I don't understand your frustration.
Exactly. He still got the offense pushed back 5 yards. Hard to think of anything he could have done better in that situation.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:24 pm

mchild82 wrote:

I didn't say I was frustrated. Just that a head coach has no excuse for not knowing the rules of the game they coach

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 20th, 2014, 2:27 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
mchild82 wrote:

I didn't say I was frustrated. Just that a head coach has no excuse for not knowing the rules of the game they coach
As a lawyer I wouldn't expect any other line of thinking from you Quack, but let's be clear, coaches misunderstand rules all the time and having read examples on this board I can totally see why.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 20th, 2014, 2:28 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
mchild82 wrote:

He's a coach, not a referee. Also, he wasn't asking for an excuse, he was admitting a mistake. It was a mistake that didn't hurt us so I have no problem with it and I think more highly of him for admitting it.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 20th, 2014, 2:28 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote: 18. Asked about play calling and why they called screens that didn't work. Told us that he could think of three times he called that play and one time there was a missed signal and other times receivers or linemen missed blocks. It was an execution issue.
Hate this answer. Stupid, stupid answer. In theory, every single play would score a touchdown if "executed" perfectly. The point is that they are NOT working and we keep calling them. :bangwall:

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 20th, 2014, 2:30 pm

I agree. Not that his ignorance really changed anything, but I couldn't believe he didn't know the rule.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:31 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
mchild82 wrote:

As a lawyer I wouldn't expect any other line of thinking from you Quack, but let's be clear, coaches misunderstand rules all the time and having read examples on this board I can totally see why.
It has nothing to do with being a lawyer. Lawyers misunderstand rules all the time, and pretend to misunderstand them the rest of the time when they're not helpful. In fact, the favorite explanation of what a rule means is "it depends."

It isn't a complicated rule. It isn't a vague rule or a rule that's up for judgment or interpretation. I don't think I'm expecting too much to understand the rule. Getting the CSU line to jump was a good strategy. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. Just that he really should have known what the rule says. Especially since I assume there has been a grounding or a false start in the final minute of a half in a game he's coached before where the penalty wasnt enforced due to a dead clock
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on October 20th, 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:37 pm

The one thing interesting about this board, and really, all the boards we had before this one, is how unpredictable it can be. You can post something that you think will start a hot discussion, and it doesn't get a single response or only one or two. Then post something that you think will get only one or two responses and it starts a hot discussion. Like you can post a luncheon report with 20 items, and a discussion about any one of those 20 things could start.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:39 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:The one thing interesting about this board, and really, all the boards we had before this one, is how unpredictable it can be. You can post something that you think will start a hot discussion, and it doesn't get a single response or only one or two. Then post something that you think will get only one or two responses and it starts a hot discussion. Like you can post a luncheon report with 20 items, and a discussion about any one of those 20 things could start.
Were you hoping we'd talk about number 10 a little more? Anybody remember the dancing baby screensaver from the 90s? Or the one where you were in a maze and could control where you went with the keyboard.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » October 20th, 2014, 2:40 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
mchild82 wrote:

It has nothing to do with being a lawyer. Lawyers misunderstand rules all the time, and pretend to misunderstand them the rest of the time when they're not helpful.

It isn't a complicated rule. It isn't a vague rule or a rule that's up for judgment or interpretation. I don't think I'm expecting too much to understand the rule. Getting the CSU line to jump was a good strategy. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. Just that he really should have known what the rule says. Especially since I assume there has been a holding or a false start in the final minute of a half in a game he's coached before where the penalty wasnt enforced due to a dead clock
It would probably be the first holding called during a dead clock, but otherwise I get your point. I don't think it is such a common rule that it shouldn't be a big deal if he didn't know every nuance of it. Also, in the heat of the moment it probably seemed like a great plan and they were more concerned about execution than the rule book. I think we can give him a pass here. It's not like he has a history of not knowing the rules.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » October 20th, 2014, 2:41 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:The one thing interesting about this board, and really, all the boards we had before this one, is how unpredictable it can be. You can post something that you think will start a hot discussion, and it doesn't get a single response or only one or two. Then post something that you think will get only one or two responses and it starts a hot discussion. Like you can post a luncheon report with 20 items, and a discussion about any one of those 20 things could start.
Were you hoping we'd talk about number 10 a little more? Anybody remember the dancing baby screensaver from the 90s? Or the one where you were in a maze and could control where you went with the keyboard.
I preferred the flight through space.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:45 pm

AggieDude wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:
mchild82 wrote:

It has nothing to do with being a lawyer. Lawyers misunderstand rules all the time, and pretend to misunderstand them the rest of the time when they're not helpful.

It isn't a complicated rule. It isn't a vague rule or a rule that's up for judgment or interpretation. I don't think I'm expecting too much to understand the rule. Getting the CSU line to jump was a good strategy. I'm not saying he did anything wrong. Just that he really should have known what the rule says. Especially since I assume there has been a holding or a false start in the final minute of a half in a game he's coached before where the penalty wasnt enforced due to a dead clock
It would probably be the first holding called during a dead clock, but otherwise I get your point. I don't think it is such a common rule that it shouldn't be a big deal if he didn't know every nuance of it. Also, in the heat of the moment it probably seemed like a great plan and they were more concerned about execution than the rule book. I think we can give him a pass here. It's not like he has a history of not knowing the rules.
Don't know why I said holding. I meant grounding. Grounding and false start are the two situations you usually see it. I've also seen it on an encroachment call, but normally it's the offense who is harmed by it.
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on October 20th, 2014, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 20th, 2014, 2:53 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote: As a lawyer I wouldn't expect any other line of thinking from you Quack, but let's be clear, coaches misunderstand rules all the time and having read examples on this board I can totally see why.
Another example is that one time, Georgia Tech's coach Paul Johnson tried to tack on 5 yards from the end of the kick for a running into the kicker penalty, when you can't do that and instead have to decline it or re kick. Also, even the New York Giants coach Tom Coughlin once threw the challenge flag to try to challenge that the Cardinals had an ineligible receiver down field, when in fact, you can't challenge that. And old Jim Zorn, while he was coaching the Redskins, tried to challenge that a Cowboys returner called for a fair catch when you can't do that. And there was Steve Kragthorpe while he was at Louisville trying to challenge a UCONN returner signaling fair catch.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 20th, 2014, 3:02 pm

AgMac wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote: 18. Asked about play calling and why they called screens that didn't work. Told us that he could think of three times he called that play and one time there was a missed signal and other times receivers or linemen missed blocks. It was an execution issue.
Hate this answer. Stupid, stupid answer. In theory, every single play would score a touchdown if "executed" perfectly. The point is that they are NOT working and we keep calling them. :bangwall:
:golfclap: Great point. The follow up should've been, "so would you say it's never been executed perfectly?".

And Quack, don't try and tell me how lawyers think! I know how they think. I've seen Matlock.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 3:08 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMac wrote:
:golfclap: Great point. The follow up should've been, "so would you say it's never been executed perfectly?".

And Quack, don't try and tell me how lawyers think! I know how they think. I've seen Matlock.

Here is why I like screens, even when they get blown up. The defensive backs make a big play, jump around, etc. then this sets up a play the next quarter where we fake the screen and they think they know it and jump it, but then we throw it downfield on a wheel route or a double move. It also forces the defense to play closer to the line of scrimmage to defend short passes, which opens up room deep. I'd rather screens go for big plays, but it isn't necessarily all bad if you can take advantage of them stepping up on the receivers.

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 20th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Hey quack, did you know about this rule?

1. Pylons (Rule 1-2-6)
Add to Article 6,
One manufacturer’s logo or trademark is permitted on each pylon. Institutional and conference
logos are allowed. Any such marking may not extend more than 3 inches on any side.

Matt Wells probably thinks it can only extend 2 inches, what a moron.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 3:14 pm

aggieaggie wrote:Hey quack, did you know about this rule?

1. Pylons (Rule 1-2-6)
Add to Article 6,
One manufacturer’s logo or trademark is permitted on each pylon. Institutional and conference
logos are allowed. Any such marking may not extend more than 3 inches on any side.

Actually I did know it. I happened to talk about it with my father in law a week or two ago about weird rules in sports. There's one on towel size too. I read the rule book once. Now, if matt wells tried to take advantage of the pylon rule to win a game, I'd expect him to know the rule. But since it isn't a game play rule, I'd forgive that one on a pop quiz.
Last edited by QuackAttackAggie on October 20th, 2014, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 20th, 2014, 3:14 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:Here is why I like screens, even when they get blown up. The defensive backs make a big play, jump around, etc. then this sets up a play the next quarter where we fake the screen and they think they know it and jump it, but then we throw it downfield on a wheel route or a double move. It also forces the defense to play closer to the line of scrimmage to defend short passes, which opens up room deep. I'd rather screens go for big plays, but it isn't necessarily all bad if you can take advantage of them stepping up on the receivers.
Yeah that's all well and good, but completing those "long" passes isn't a given (i.e. Ark. St., CSU), but what is certain is when we are in 2nd and long and 3rd and long, we don't get 1st downs and then are forced to punt. I'd rather see a consistent 1st down type offense, with the occassional bomb, then series after series of 3 and out play calling.

What made 2012 so fun is that we could dominate with long consistent possessions, but still had big-play ability at any time. Of course that was with different Offensive coaches. After the last year and a half, I'm ready for different offensive coaches - the offensive stats in comparison to the rest of the country would seem to support that as well.
Last edited by USUBlue on October 20th, 2014, 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 3:15 pm

USUBlue wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:Here is why I like screens, even when they get blown up. The defensive backs make a big play, jump around, etc. then this sets up a play the next quarter where we fake the screen and they think they know it and jump it, but then we throw it downfield on a wheel route or a double move. It also forces the defense to play closer to the line of scrimmage to defend short passes, which opens up room deep. I'd rather screens go for big plays, but it isn't necessarily all bad if you can take advantage of them stepping up on the receivers.
Yeah that's all well and good, but completely those "long" passes isn't a given (i.e. Ark. St., CSU), but what is certain is when we are in 2nd and long and 3rd and long, we don't get 1st downs and then are forced to punt. I'd rather see a consistent 1st down type offense, with the occassional bomb, then 4 series of 3 and out play calling.

What made 2012 so fun is that we could dominate with long consistent possessions, but still had big-play ability at any time. Of course that was with different Offensive coaches. After the last year and a half, I'm ready for different offensive coaches - the offensive stats in comparison to the rest of the country would seem to support that as well.
Yeah I don't like it on third and long to a WR. I think the RB screen is better

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Speaking of not knowing rules. I sat among some coach wives/players family. The stuff I heard about plays or penalties was hilarious. I also heard "why does Jojo even play, he never gets any yards," "let's go make a touchdown!," and "I saw harrison practice. He's really bad, but CSU won't know it because he's never played in a game before."

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 20th, 2014, 3:26 pm

1. Pylons (Rule 1-2-6)
Add to Article 6,

I'm quite certain I have seen byu logos on the pylons at Cougar Stadium. I guess this reiterates the commonly-held notion that they are cheating bastards, right?

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Yossarian wrote:

1. Pylons (Rule 1-2-6)
Add to Article 6,

I'm quite certain I have seen byu logos on the pylons at Cougar Stadium. I guess this reiterates the commonly-held notion that they are cheating bastards, right?
They're allowed. They don't want ads or team slogans.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 20th, 2014, 3:29 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:Speaking of not knowing rules. I sat among some coach wives/players family. The stuff I heard about plays or penalties was hilarious. I also heard "why does Jojo even play, he never gets any yards," "let's go make a touchdown!," and "I saw harrison practice. He's really bad, but CSU won't know it because he's never played in a game before."

On the subject of not knowing the rules - I had a dealer at a Roulette table in Las Vegas convinced that the marble landing on double zero was an even number and I was due a payment because I had chips on "even". She was in the process of paying me when the pit boss overheard the conversation and came over to set her straight - and shoot me the stink eye.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 20th, 2014, 4:02 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:
AgMac wrote:

Playing the lawyer there are actually at minimum 7 exceptions to that statement. A QB sneak for a first down often is executed with the QB falling forward, an out with the receiver continuing his route to stop the clock, a traditional RB dive over the pile for a first down (hardly ever see that one anymore), the victory formation, the run to set up a FG angle... and an Aggie WR screen. :bangwall:

As for Quack's statement on Wells, ask him how much he really knows about the law coming out of law school and the bar. I don't think I learned anything relevant but I did go to Provo. Ever read the actual NCAA rule book, it takes someone a lot smarter than a lawyer to understand half of its provisions. If the PAC 10 ref at USC didn't know formation rules on Jo Jos big play, Wells deserves a pass. It was a 50/50 chance the refs might have believed him and ended the game anyway.

tetonaggie

Post by tetonaggie » October 20th, 2014, 4:49 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:

1. Pylons (Rule 1-2-6)
Add to Article 6,

Actually I did know it. I happened to talk about it with my father in law a week or two ago about weird rules in sports. There's one on towel size too. I read the rule book once. Now, if matt wells tried to take advantage of the pylon rule to win a game, I'd expect him to know the rule. But since it isn't a game play rule, I'd forgive that one on a pop quiz.
This is one of my favorite Quack posts. You're a good dude Quack.

"I never Lose. I either Win or Learn." - Nelson Mandela

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » October 20th, 2014, 6:11 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
mchild82 wrote:

Complete nonsense. You practice law right. Do you know every rule? Did you get a perfect score on the bar exam? Didn't think so.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 20th, 2014, 6:36 pm

Please tell me how a coach's knowledge of an illegal procedure 10-second runoff has any relevance to any game, good or bad.

I don't see it. I mean, the coach can't jump offside, can't commit a false start, can't call the penalty and can't enforce it. So how is Matt Wells' lack of understanding of this rule a mistake? But maybe my understanding is lacking and someone can explain how it's a problem.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » October 20th, 2014, 6:45 pm

Quack's a future prosecutor, guys--they only see in black and white. :)

Quack, are you still clerking in Rigby and planning on staying in SE Idaho? I accepted an offer in Idaho Falls, so assuming I pass the bar we may have some future run-ins. :joking:

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 20th, 2014, 6:56 pm

ineptimusprime wrote:Quack's a future prosecutor, guys--they only see in black and white. :)

Quack, are you still clerking in Rigby and planning on staying in SE Idaho? I accepted an offer in Idaho Falls, so assuming I pass the bar we may have some future run-ins. :joking:
That explains it. I got a brother like that. Good kid though. Don't do it too long Quack. Get the knowledge and come over to the dark side.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 8:29 pm

hickaggie wrote:
ineptimusprime wrote:Quack's a future prosecutor, guys--they only see in black and white. :)

That explains it. I got a brother like that. Good kid though. Don't do it too long Quack. Get the knowledge and come over to the dark side.
I joined the Foreign Service so I won't be prosecuting

iPhone

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 20th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Awesome. PM me if you are ever here. I'm in Rigby but won't be past January.

iPhone

Locked Previous topicNext topic