DG Update

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
donlarson8

DG Update

Post by donlarson8 » October 21st, 2014, 11:23 am

Lya just tweeted that DG is scheduled to have surgery on his wrist this week.

"USU not releasing a statement, but Darell Garretson is scheduled for wrist surgery this week, still not sure how long he will be out"

"Depending on extent of injury, Garretson could be out 3-4 weeks, or remainder of season"

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DG Update

Post by AggieDude » October 21st, 2014, 12:30 pm

Sounds like it could be the scaphoid. It doesn't heal on its own very well. I've got a pin in mine because it wasn't healing after 3 months. If this is in fact the case, surgery will get the bone healed faster, but lack of strength and flexibility in that wrist will prevent him from being back this season.

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » October 21st, 2014, 12:43 pm

My guess is he is out for the season.

I also agree that it is most likely the scaphoid.

Horrible injury that has to be immobilized for at least 3-4 weeks then PT after that and strength tests

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 21st, 2014, 1:14 pm

kkalian311 wrote:My guess is he is out for the season.

I also agree that it is most likely the scaphoid.

Horrible injury that has to be immobilized for at least 3-4 weeks then PT after that and strength tests
"Scaphoid fractures are often diagnosed by X-rays. However not all fractures are apparent initially. Therefore people with tenderness over the scaphoid (those who exhibit pain to pressure in the anatomic snuff box ) are often casted for 7–10 days at which point a second set of X-rays is taken. If there was a hairline fracture, healing will now be apparent. Even then a fracture may not be apparent. A CT Scan can then be used to evaluate the scaphoid with greater resolution. Fractures can take between 6 and 12 weeks of casting to heal. The Scaphoid receives its blood supply primarily from lateral and distal branches of the radial artery. Blood flows from the top/distal end of the bone in a retrograde fashion down to the proximal pole; if this blood flow is disrupted by a fracture, the bone may not heal. Surgery is necessary at this point to mechanically mend the bone together." Wiki

6 to 12 weeks! If it is the scaphoid we likely won't be seeing Garretson back this season.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

rfield3
Been thanked: 0

Post by rfield3 » October 21st, 2014, 3:24 pm

I'm a PT so I'll put in my 2 cents, if it's a scaphoid fracture, I don't think he'll throw a football effectively for close to 3 months, those things are beasts to heal and gripping a football can put a lot of pressure on the base of the thumb.

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » October 21st, 2014, 5:50 pm

rfield3 wrote:I'm a PT so I'll put in my 2 cents, if it's a scaphoid fracture, I don't think he'll throw a football effectively for close to 3 months, those things are beasts to heal and gripping a football can put a lot of pressure on the base of the thumb.
Hey, I'm a PT as well! It seems like a scaphoid fracture is likely from the mechanism of injury as well. I hope that's not the case though.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 21st, 2014, 6:05 pm

As I relayed on Saturday after the game straight from medical people in the know DG is out for the season. MW knew it then and does what every good prudent coach does and that is play cards close to the vest and work through all things internally within the confines of the team. Even then information leaks and what appears according to the insiders to be the case for this coming game against UNLV CH starts and if he can manage the game and we score 14+ points he stays the half. They really do want to play Myers and it is wait and see the fear being not his physical skills but the speed of play and that is where CH has the advanatge. The staff though concerned about the game is week this week is less so compared to the Hawaii game. Hawaii has the staff upside down right now. The beauty here is the staff matches up quite nicely with all of the posters on this board limited confidence in CH though they will never cop to that and a beyond the sense of urgency need to get a running game going. Word has it that despite his downside Hill will see significant carries because UNVL more than any other team we have played is vulnerable to giving up the big run. Cant say I disagree even though I have been very vocal that Hill is not a suitable feature back. I look for him to have many 3 yard or less carries but will bust 2 for mega yards. This will also be the first game of the season where MW will not be shy about using his field goal kicker(s) as there is rumblings within the team that where the staff really lacks confidence in CH is in the red zone.

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » October 21st, 2014, 7:09 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
rfield3 wrote:I'm a PT so I'll put in my 2 cents, if it's a scaphoid fracture, I don't think he'll throw a football effectively for close to 3 months, those things are beasts to heal and gripping a football can put a lot of pressure on the base of the thumb.
Hey, I'm a PT as well! It seems like a scaphoid fracture is likely from the mechanism of injury as well. I hope that's not the case though.
Yup, usually an injury to the scaphoid is caused by a FOOSH (falling on out-sretched hand), but in this case I guess a Olineman (or someone else) can do the trick. A wrestler in the DPT program with me broke his and it did not heal, so they did surgery on it. He now has limited motion in that wrist compared to the other side.

Hope DG heals up nicely, and it does not effect his throws.

Where only sage brush grows

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » October 21st, 2014, 7:22 pm

MrBiggle wrote:
donlarson8 wrote:
Yup, usually an injury to the scaphoid is caused by a FOOSH (falling on out-sretched hand), but in this case I guess a Olineman (or someone else) can do the trick. A wrestler in the DPT program with me broke his and it did not heal, so they did surgery on it. He now has limited motion in that wrist compared to the other side.

Hope DG heals up nicely, and it does not effect his throws.
MrB right there with you this is a tricky injury but DG has some good orthos and I am confident DG can expect the best. Knock on wood that it has no effect on throwing. Injuries like that are not without consequence but sadly he is now at greater risk for the same type of injury as long as he plays football. DG is a tough kid and will not let that prospect creep into his head.

Bybs25

Post by Bybs25 » October 21st, 2014, 8:12 pm

If it is the scaphiod then diffently out 6 weeks. I broke mine 6 days before we played Utah then had surgery the next day and was playing at Utah with a cast. I was pretty admant about not having a cast after two weeks in which I taped my wrist extra good then had a removable brace with thumb support for two more weeks before I played with one without the thumb support. Big difference is I didn't have to throw the ball with my broken wrist. So I would say he is out for 7 weeks so yeah done for the season.

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » October 21st, 2014, 8:17 pm

Mediocre at Best wrote:As I relayed on Saturday after the game straight from medical people in the know DG is out for the season. MW knew it then and does what every good prudent coach does and that is play cards close to the vest and work through all things internally within the confines of the team. Even then information leaks and what appears according to the insiders to be the case for this coming game against UNLV CH starts and if he can manage the game and we score 14+ points he stays the half. They really do want to play Myers and it is wait and see the fear being not his physical skills but the speed of play and that is where CH has the advanatge. The staff though concerned about the game is week this week is less so compared to the Hawaii game. Hawaii has the staff upside down right now. The beauty here is the staff matches up quite nicely with all of the posters on this board limited confidence in CH though they will never cop to that and a beyond the sense of urgency need to get a running game going. Word has it that despite his downside Hill will see significant carries because UNVL more than any other team we have played is vulnerable to giving up the big run. Cant say I disagree even though I have been very vocal that Hill is not a suitable feature back. I look for him to have many 3 yard or less carries but will bust 2 for mega yards. This will also be the first game of the season where MW will not be shy about using his field goal kicker(s) as there is rumblings within the team that where the staff really lacks confidence in CH is in the red zone.
Great information. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LKGates

Post by LKGates » October 21st, 2014, 8:21 pm

Some of you may remember that this is the same injury that sidelined Preston Medlin. Scaphoid injuries have a wide range of outcomes. The worst is avascular necrosis of the portion of the bone on the other side of the fracture from the blood supply. Regardles, with any wrist injury involving a broken bone, I wouldn't expect him to make it back before the end of the season.

Ceterum censeo, Boise State delenda est!

Feel free to follow me on Twitter: @AggieLarry

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 21st, 2014, 10:02 pm

LKGates wrote:Some of you may remember that this is the same injury that sidelined Preston Medlin. Scaphoid injuries have a wide range of outcomes. The worst is avascular necrosis of the portion of the bone on the other side of the fracture from the blood supply. Regardles, with any wrist injury involving a broken bone, I wouldn't expect him to make it back before the end of the season.

snuff box tenderness!

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » October 22nd, 2014, 7:20 am

LKGates wrote:Some of you may remember that this is the same injury that sidelined Preston Medlin. Scaphoid injuries have a wide range of outcomes. The worst is avascular necrosis of the portion of the bone on the other side of the fracture from the blood supply. Regardles, with any wrist injury involving a broken bone, I wouldn't expect him to make it back before the end of the season.

I sure hope this isn't anything like necrophilia.

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 22nd, 2014, 7:55 am

IdaAg93 wrote:
Mediocre at Best wrote:As I relayed on Saturday after the game straight from medical people in the know DG is out for the season. MW knew it then and does what every good prudent coach does and that is play cards close to the vest and work through all things internally within the confines of the team. Even then information leaks and what appears according to the insiders to be the case for this coming game against UNLV CH starts and if he can manage the game and we score 14+ points he stays the half. They really do want to play Myers and it is wait and see the fear being not his physical skills but the speed of play and that is where CH has the advanatge. The staff though concerned about the game is week this week is less so compared to the Hawaii game. Hawaii has the staff upside down right now. The beauty here is the staff matches up quite nicely with all of the posters on this board limited confidence in CH though they will never cop to that and a beyond the sense of urgency need to get a running game going. Word has it that despite his downside Hill will see significant carries because UNVL more than any other team we have played is vulnerable to giving up the big run. Cant say I disagree even though I have been very vocal that Hill is not a suitable feature back. I look for him to have many 3 yard or less carries but will bust 2 for mega yards. This will also be the first game of the season where MW will not be shy about using his field goal kicker(s) as there is rumblings within the team that where the staff really lacks confidence in CH is in the red zone.
Great information. Thank you for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good, more Hill. I like the Hill, Hunt combo.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 22nd, 2014, 8:23 am

And specifically the combo, more two back sets!

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 22nd, 2014, 12:05 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:And specifically the combo, more two back sets!

I think that makes a lot of sense. Hunt loves to block and that opens up the wheel route for Hill.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 22nd, 2014, 12:13 pm

Regarding DG, considering this is on his throwing hand, could this be a career-ending-injury? It certainly impacts his future at USU as the QB position is beyond crowded in 2015 - assuming CK is granted a red-shirt of course.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » October 22nd, 2014, 12:36 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:Regarding DG, considering this is on his throwing hand, could this be a career-ending-injury? It certainly impacts his future at USU as the QB position is beyond crowded in 2015 - assuming CK is granted a red-shirt of course.
If it doesn't heal right, then sure. I expect he'll be fine though.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

aggieaggie

Post by aggieaggie » October 22nd, 2014, 12:37 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:Regarding DG, considering this is on his throwing hand, could this be a career-ending-injury? It certainly impacts his future at USU as the QB position is beyond crowded in 2015 - assuming CK is granted a red-shirt of course.
It will only hurt him when there is a low pressure system in the area.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 22nd, 2014, 1:09 pm

aggieaggie wrote:
So, worst case, he'll be able to predict the weather? Kind of like gaining super powers through an injury.

Coooool.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » October 22nd, 2014, 1:10 pm

aggieaggie wrote:
So, worst case, he'll be able to predict the weather? Kind of like gaining super powers through an injury.

Coooool.

ozzie1p

Post by ozzie1p » October 25th, 2014, 12:05 am

Anybody heard anything official? On full court press tonight they said he's expected to be out a month. They sounded like it was common knowledge but I haven't heard anything elsewhere.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 25th, 2014, 7:29 am

Looks like he had surgery yesterday from his twitter

cowcollege

Post by cowcollege » October 25th, 2014, 8:10 am

3 months until he can throw effectively... but how long until he can throw more effectively than CH?

Locked Previous topicNext topic