Hall, Hill or Hunt

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Hall, Hill or Hunt

Post by USU78 » October 24th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Here is what we know for certain:

Hall's a 6'0 200 RS Jr who has shown flashes of competence, but whose pass-catching is questionable.

Hill's a 5'11 190 Sr who has shown flashes of brilliance, but who gets pulled down pretty frequently for losses.

Hunt's a 5'8 185 Fr who, overall, is competent and tough between the tackles, never getting pulled down for losses.

Hall's gotten 40 touches, Hill 65 touches, and Hunt 41 touches.

Hall's been pulled down for 8 yards in losses, Hill 37 yards, and Hunt 1 yard.

Hall's caught 1 pass for 0 yards and 0 TDs, Hill 6 passes for 79 yards (13.2 ypc) and 0 TDs, and Hunt 6 passes for 50 yards (8.3 ypc) and 0 TDs.

Hall rushes for 4.1 ypc, has 159 yards and 1 TD; Hill for 3.9 ypc, has 232 yards and 2 TDs; Hunt for 4.1 ypc, has 144 yards and 0 TDs.

But for the single explosive of 57 yards against CSU, Hill has rushed for 3.0 ypc in 58 attempts.

Sorry for those who think Hill's explosiveness means he should be a featured back, but the numbers just don't justify it.

4.1 ypc is more than adequate for a running back (3.4 gives you 1st down on 3 runs), but only one is the whole package: Hunt.

He rushes tough, he doesn't go down easily, he doesn't get pulled down for losses, he uses his blockers, and, unlike Hall, he can catch the ball.

I don't see how this is even an interesting conversation, going into our 8th game.

It has to be Hunt.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

mcaggie1

Re: Hall, Hill or Hunt

Post by mcaggie1 » October 24th, 2014, 12:18 pm

Gee, I still want Hervey. ;)

Actually, let's go back to the days of Mr's Inside and Mr. Outside and play all three as needed.

aggieaggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by aggieaggie » October 24th, 2014, 12:21 pm

More Hill

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 24th, 2014, 12:26 pm

USU78 wrote:Here is what we know for certain:

Hall's a 6'0 200 RS Jr who has shown flashes of competence, but whose pass-catching is questionable.

Hill's a 5'11 190 Sr who has shown flashes of brilliance, but who gets pulled down pretty frequently for losses.

Hunt's a 5'8 185 Fr who, overall, is competent and tough between the tackles, never getting pulled down for losses.

Hall's caught 1 pass for 0 yards and 0 TDs, Hill 6 passes for 79 yards (13.2 ypc) and 0 TDs, and Hunt 6 passes for 50 yards (8.3 ypc) and 0 TDs.

Hall rushes for 4.1 ypc, has 159 yards and 1 TD; Hill for 3.9 ypc, has 232 yards and 2 TDs; Hunt for 4.1 ypc, has 144 yards and 0 TDs.

But for the single explosive of 57 yards against CSU, Hill has rushed for 3.0 ypc in 58 attempts.

Sorry for those who think Hill's explosiveness means he should be a featured back, but the numbers just don't justify it.

4.1 ypc is more than adequate for a running back (3.4 gives you 1st down on 3 runs), but only one is the whole package: Hunt.

He rushes tough, he doesn't go down easily, he doesn't get pulled down for losses, he uses his blockers, and, unlike Hall, he can catch the ball.

I don't see how this is even an interesting conversation, going into our 8th game.

It has to be Hunt.
If you're going to take away Hill's long run, take away hunt's too from the CSU game. Results in 2.97 yards a carry. I like hunt. He was my favorite new recruit. But you can't just take away the longest run of one guy and compare it to all the runs of the other.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » October 24th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Running back by committee. I would like Hunt to get 15-20 touches, Hill to get 12-15, plus some solid wheel routes, and Hall to get 5-8. I think we need to use Hill more like how we use Jo Jo. Make him a slot receiver, and get him open in space and see what he can do. You also didn't mention that Hunt is by far the best blocker.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 24th, 2014, 1:56 pm

AggieVoice wrote:Running back by committee. I would like Hunt to get 15-20 touches, Hill to get 12-15, plus some solid wheel routes, and Hall to get 5-8. I think we need to use Hill more like how we use Jo Jo. Make him a slot receiver, and get him open in space and see what he can do. You also didn't mention that Hunt is by far the best blocker.
I actually don't care who gets the carries as long as we are running it 40 times a game. We don't have near enough attempts right now.

iPhone

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 24th, 2014, 2:12 pm

In order for the rushing attempts to go up the offense has to start converting on 3rd down. Has plagued us all year.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 24th, 2014, 2:19 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:

It has to be Hunt.
If you're going to take away Hill's long run, take away hunt's too from the CSU game. Results in 2.97 yards a carry. I like hunt. He was my favorite new recruit. But you can't just take away the longest run of one guy and compare it to all the runs of the other.
The issue, my dear Quack, is that Hill gives up losses . . . he dances in the backfield and doesn't appear to know that it's perfectly acceptable for an RB to run directly towards the line of scrimmage now and again in order to eek out a couple of tough yards. He's just not a quality running back. He's a very good football player, has good hands, is a blur in space, and uses blockers reasonably well at the second level. At the first level, not so much. My knock on him is that he's a liability lined up behind the QB or standing next to him . . . at least too much of the time . . . and his occasional squirt for extra yards doesn't, in my mind, overcome those problems.

And don't get me started on his anemic blocking.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

QuackAttackAggie

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 24th, 2014, 2:21 pm

USU78 wrote:
QuackAttackAggie wrote:

It has to be Hunt.
The issue, my dear Quack, is that Hill gives up losses . . . he dances in the backfield and doesn't appear to know that it's perfectly acceptable for an RB to run directly towards the line of scrimmage now and again in order to eek out a couple of tough yards. He's just not a quality running back. He's a very good football player, has good hands, is a blur in space, and uses blockers reasonably well at the second level. At the first level, not so much. My knock on him is that he's a liability lined up behind the QB or standing next to him . . . at least too much of the time . . . and his occasional squirt for extra yards doesn't, in my mind, overcome those problems.

And don't get me started on his anemic blocking.
Yet despite him giving up losses they have the same average. Doesn't that say something? I like hunt. I want him to play more. But I think Hill does better if he gets more than 8 carries. He should get 8 a half.

iPhone

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » October 24th, 2014, 2:32 pm

brian5562 wrote:In order for the rushing attempts to go up the offense has to start converting on 3rd down. Has plagued us all year.
It's circular though. In order to complete 3rd down conversions we need to run more. We're throwing incomplete passes on 1st and 2nd down resulting in 3rd and longs.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » October 24th, 2014, 3:07 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:Running back by committee. I would like Hunt to get 15-20 touches, Hill to get 12-15, plus some solid wheel routes, and Hall to get 5-8. I think we need to use Hill more like how we use Jo Jo. Make him a slot receiver, and get him open in space and see what he can do. You also didn't mention that Hunt is by far the best blocker.
I actually don't care who gets the carries as long as we are running it 40 times a game. We don't have near enough attempts right now.

iPhone[/quote

Quack you actually said something I agree with

ToedrAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToedrAg » October 24th, 2014, 3:18 pm

paaron46 wrote:
brian5562 wrote:In order for the rushing attempts to go up the offense has to start converting on 3rd down. Has plagued us all year.
It's circular though. In order to complete 3rd down conversions we need to run more. We're throwing incomplete passes on 1st and 2nd down resulting in 3rd and longs.
Agreed paaron...It's all circular. Block the bad. Harness the good.

Feeling the flow, feeling it. :thumbsup:

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » October 24th, 2014, 4:46 pm

If you were to take one or two runs each game from Barry Sanders his yards per carry would be rather pedestrian as well. That's not how averages work, however. You must factor in the breakaways - that is what he is good at. Granted, we haven't seen nearly as many breakaways as we would like, but he has the speed to get them if he can just get past the line of scrimmage. I think this is where your frustration lies, he can't get into the second level of the defense on a regular basis. He is not and never will be an effective power runner. He is more Barry Sanders than John Riggins for sure. We would just like to see more Barry. His yards per carry will go up if he is given more attempts - in my opinion.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » October 24th, 2014, 9:24 pm

Hunt

ChicagoAggie

Post by ChicagoAggie » October 24th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Hunt as the number 1 back. Hill in off edge/tackle runs and outlet pass plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Locked Previous topicNext topic