There it is, New Mex

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GeoAg

There it is, New Mex

Post by GeoAg » December 7th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3m3 minutes ago
UTEP vs. Utah State in New Mexico Bowl source told @ESPN

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Detroit-Aggie

Re: There it is, New Mex

Post by Detroit-Aggie » December 7th, 2014, 1:10 pm

My initial reaction is, "Meh.."

but then I have to remember, we're going to a bowl game... for the fourth straight year... and that's pretty cool.

SuperiorBlueDiver
Has thanked: 0

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 7th, 2014, 1:10 pm

I'm ok with this. In glad we're not playing a MAC team again

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10 ... 833a28.jpg

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » December 7th, 2014, 1:19 pm

It will help our Texas recruiting to get exposure down there. I think its good. Four years in a row!! Who'd a thunk it?

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 7th, 2014, 1:21 pm

UTEP is a rushing team. Not real strong on the pass. They have given up 28 ppg. To a fairly weak schedule.

azaggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by azaggie » December 7th, 2014, 1:22 pm

UTEP lost big to La Tech 55-3. I'm not saying we'll blow them out but this gives us a very good chance at another bowl victory. Good step for the program especially in this injury ravaged season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 7th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Not let down but not excited.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 7th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I'm excited. Winnable game in a new location. What's not to like?

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » December 7th, 2014, 1:25 pm

I like this matchup only because it will allow us to extend our bowl win streak to 3 and counting.... and because I've never been to ABQ (not outside of their airport anyway) and I like to visit new places.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

WeAreHurd

Post by WeAreHurd » December 7th, 2014, 1:27 pm

I just wish we could of gotten that rivalry bowl in LV... I think our team will really prove something!!

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » December 7th, 2014, 1:30 pm

GeoAg wrote:I'm excited. Winnable game in a new location. What's not to like?
Completely agree. If you're not excited than you either haven't been an Aggie fan for very long or you have a very short memory. 4th straight bowl game. Should be favored to win a third in a row. New location. Not playing the MAC. Should be fun. I wish I had the flexibility to go

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » December 7th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Should be a good atmosphere too, with them having plenty of fans there since it is relatively close to El Paso

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

trombone_ninja

Post by trombone_ninja » December 7th, 2014, 1:31 pm

The football team gets to bring their families but the band doesn't... That's one thing. It is nice, however, that I don't have to leave my wife behind for Christmas this year.

Will respond whenever you ask what the band is doing
Go Aggies!!!

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 7th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Been to ABQ many times. Some people dump on the place, and it's got some dirty parts, but I like it. There are some awesome places to eat. Many good Aggies working in the tech field down there.

I like it for the Aggie turnout.

Wish the opponent and location had more cachet.

jeepnfonz

Post by jeepnfonz » December 7th, 2014, 1:34 pm

I was thinking bad turnout for Aggies.

Flights are expensive

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » December 7th, 2014, 1:36 pm

Maybe it's just me.

I've been there several times. I saw an Aggie license plate cover on Menaul, I was high fived for no other reason than wearing an Aggie hat at the airport, and several EE's who graduated with me wound up down there working in the tech field, and they aren't alone.

~shrugs~ I hope it's a good turnout.

AggieVoice

Post by AggieVoice » December 7th, 2014, 1:38 pm

I love beating really good teams most, but I like beating any team more than losing to a good team. This matchup gives us a good chance to win, so I am thrilled. I am excited to see a new place and try the good New Mexican food.

AGGZILLA

Post by AGGZILLA » December 7th, 2014, 1:41 pm

I'm very much looking forward to this game, and as I'll be at a reception later that night in eastern Arizona, I'll be able to go to this.

"They got up to get excited... then they displayed all 5 stages of grief."
- Dallin

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 7th, 2014, 1:43 pm

AggieVoice wrote:I love beating really good teams most, but I like beating any team more than losing to a good team. This matchup gives us a good chance to win, so I am thrilled. I am excited to see a new place and try the good New Mexican food.
I too love beating "really good" teams too, but as hit hard as we are with injuries, there aren't any "really good" teams we would beat.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

There it is, New Mex

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 7th, 2014, 1:48 pm

I'm excited because we can actually win this game. Stanford would have beat us by 30+

Cheecho6

Post by Cheecho6 » December 7th, 2014, 1:56 pm

Going to be a pro UTEP crowd for sure. Only 3.5 hours away. Really excited to be going to our 4th straight bowl! Let's win our 3rd in a row!!!

"We are not here to weather the storm, We are here to be the storm!"
-Jason Kreis

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 7th, 2014, 2:03 pm

HOLY COW!! UTEP is big. Their roster shows 15 guys over 300 lbs. Mostly OLineman. One 345, and one 355!

Their star running back, Aaron Jones is 5' 10", 185lbs. He ran for over 1,200 TD's. He's been following that beef up front.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 7th, 2014, 2:05 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:I'm excited because we can actually win this game. Stanford would have beat us by 30+
Awfully tired of hearing that wonderfully positive minded dribble.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 7th, 2014, 2:10 pm

This one, unfortunately, will be out of my paltry budget.

Make sure you go visit the A1A Car Wash and say hi to Walt for me! ;)

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 7th, 2014, 2:12 pm

I would like a shot at a P5 teams, like Colorado State got last year.

slcagg

Post by slcagg » December 7th, 2014, 2:28 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:I'm excited because we can actually win this game. Stanford would have beat us by 30+
Me too. blah blah blah we can't win. Holy sh** you'd think we were only at 6 or less wins.

aspear

Post by aspear » December 7th, 2014, 2:32 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:HOLY COW!! UTEP is big. Their roster shows 15 guys over 300 lbs. Mostly OLineman. One 345, and one 355!

Their star running back, Aaron Jones is 5' 10", 185lbs. He ran for over 1,200 TD's. He's been following that beef up front.
1200 TD's?!?!?!??!?!?!?

NorCalAggie

Post by NorCalAggie » December 7th, 2014, 2:43 pm

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:
Completely agree. If you're not excited than you either haven't been an Aggie fan for very long or you have a very short memory. 4th straight bowl game. Should be favored to win a third in a row. New location. Not playing the MAC. Should be fun. I wish I had the flexibility to go

Exactly. While we all had our hopes up (and quickly dashed) for something bigger, I am very happy for our team. This season has been a huge success when it just as easily could have been a train wreck. I remember those bleak train wreck years all too well and am thrilled we are headed for a 4th straight bowl appearance.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 7th, 2014, 2:46 pm

slcagg wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Me too. blah blah blah we can't win. Holy sh** you'd think we were only at 6 or less wins.
We definitely haven't beat anyone on Stanfords level...are you really that delusional? The blowout loss to Boise makes us look really bad. Am I really a bad guy for not wanting another blowout loss?

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 7th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I think this is a good matchup for us, especially if guys like Torrey Green and Nick Vigil can get healthy in time. I also like that it's a different bowl from the last two seasons.

I'm over being disappointed we aren't in a bigger bowl. Let's go win this win and get to double-digit wins.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 7th, 2014, 2:56 pm

2004AG wrote:
I would like a shot at a P5 teams, like Colorado State got last year.

Colorado State had their starting quarterback, not their fourth string true freshman. They would have gotten obliterated by WSU if they were forced to play a fourth string true freshman.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » December 7th, 2014, 3:05 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
We definitely haven't beat anyone on Stanfords level...are you really that delusional? The blowout loss to Boise makes us look really bad. Am I really a bad guy for not wanting another blowout loss?
If your a bad guy for not wanting another blowout loss then I am too. I would have loved to play an P5 Opponent as well but we just don't have the Horses. Some say bring it on, we will play anyone but in the end I think it's best to play a winnable game. We beat 2 Teams with winning records, at this point I am thankful just to be in a Bowl. I haven't forgot the past 40 years of heartache, gloom and despair.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

There it is, New Mex

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 7th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Machismo wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
If your a bad guy for not wanting another blowout loss then I am too. I would have loved to play an P5 Opponent as well but we just don't have the Horses. Some say bring it on, we will play anyone but in the end I think it's best to play a winnable game. We beat 2 Teams with winning records, at this point I am thankful just to be in a Bowl. I haven't forgot the past 40 years of heartache, gloom and despair.
Exactly! You guys, there's nothing wrong with wanting the country to have a good impression of the program. A 20 point victory over UTEP is great. A 30 point loss to Stanford is not. And neither was the blowout loss to Boise. It's not being negative. It's being realistic.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » December 7th, 2014, 3:25 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
Machismo wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
Exactly! You guys, there's nothing wrong with wanting the country to have a good impression of the program. A 20 point victory over UTEP is great. A 30 point loss to Stanford is not. And neither was the blowout loss to Boise. It's not being negative. It's being realistic.
And I am sure that with that logic you would not want to see Denver in another Super Bowl, or Wisky play Ohio State again, because they had one bad game. Give it up! Our game against Boise was not indicative of how we play. Just a bad day. Tell Utah fans they had no business playing Alabama a few years ago because they were supposed to get soundly beat. I repeat, I am tired of Aggie fans underestimating their team based on one lousy game.

If we keep wanting to avoid the Stanford's of the world, we will never know, will we. Let's just curl up in our Potato Bowl mindset, suck our thumb, and say all is well.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » December 7th, 2014, 3:27 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
Machismo wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
slcagg wrote:
mcaggie1 wrote:
And I am sure that with that logic you would not want to see Denver in another Super Bowl, or Wisky play Ohio State again, because they had one bad game. Give it up! Our game against Boise was not indicative of how we play. Just a bad day. Tell Utah fans they had no business playing Alabama a few years ago because they were supposed to get soundly beat. I repeat, I an tired of Aggie fans underestimating their team based on one lousy game.

If we keep wanting to avoid the Stanford's of the world, we will never know, will we. Let's just curl up in our Potato Bowl mindset, suck our thumb, and say all is well.
Don't be dumb. I would love to play Stanford when the team is healthy and good. The team we would field would be on our 4th string qb. Missing 10+ starters. Stop looking for something to be offended by.

Locked Previous topicNext topic