Romney Stadium Renovation Phase 1

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
aggie86
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Romney Stadium Renovation Phase 1

Post by aggie86 » December 10th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Just ran across this on their facebook page. Great Company teaming up with Oakland. What do you think??

https://www.facebook.com/MarcTaylorInc

AggiesRuleABQ

Re: Romney Stadium Renovation Phase 1

Post by AggiesRuleABQ » December 10th, 2014, 9:26 pm

That's a start...

MrBiggle

Post by MrBiggle » December 10th, 2014, 9:27 pm

if we want to down size... that looks smaller than what we have

Where only sage brush grows

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 10th, 2014, 9:29 pm

I love the look of the press box/suites. But it looks like we are losing quite a bit of regular seating.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » December 10th, 2014, 9:41 pm

I'm ok with it for 3 reasons.

1. due to the unique structure and land surrounding Romney (the fact that there is a steep hill east and west of the west concourse, the east hill obviously being the seats) there are probably restrictions on how far to the west they can build, this will obviously limit how high the seats can go.

2. There is lots of space (SEZ, and corners, particularly) where seats can be added relatively easily.

3. That box looks great.

Also, somebody better save that image, because I'll bet those pictures will be coming down soon. Somebody is probably going to get in trouble for releasing those before the university did.
Last edited by 3rdGenAggie on December 10th, 2014, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 10th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Yeah, that is actually quite enormous and much larger than the renderings we had pictures of from before. But I agree, it looks to come at the expense of quite a bit of seating on the west side. Granted, we do still have quite a bit of seating provided within the structure itself but I think we would definitely have to add or fill in some of the corners or south side to make up for what it appears we would lose.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 10th, 2014, 10:18 pm

Def looks like we're losing some seats. Maybe now we will sell out?!?

Hail Aggies!

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 10th, 2014, 10:37 pm

There will likely be a small increase in capacity overall.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » December 10th, 2014, 10:48 pm

I like it. Want to see the view of the west side though.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 10th, 2014, 10:50 pm

kkalian311 wrote:I like it. Want to see the view of the west side though.
That is the west side

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 10th, 2014, 10:51 pm

I've gotta be honest, I'm not too worried about losing seating to that beautiful new facility. I think that new box alone gives the Aggie fans a sense that we are finally a real D1 football team with the stadium to prove it. While I agree with what others have said about filling in seats elsewhere, I think that this box would be worth it even if we didn't add another seat anywhere inside the stadium. The money from the luxury boxes, the atmosphere for recruits, and the statement for fans is worth much more than those seats! Hopefully along with the new facility we see a revamping of the bathrooms and concessions stands!

Jordan Nathan’s ACTUAL #1 Fan

kkalian311

Post by kkalian311 » December 10th, 2014, 10:51 pm

GeoAg wrote:
That is the west side
The west side meaning the view from the parking lot. Not from the field.

glendayle

Post by glendayle » December 10th, 2014, 10:51 pm

Looks fine by me as long as those bathrooms are getting more than paint.

breadysmith

Post by breadysmith » December 10th, 2014, 10:52 pm

I think he means the west side of the west side...I would like to see this too and how the hill side gets handled

"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2014, 10:53 pm

There are currently 19 rows of chair backs in the upper west side of Romney with a few rows more of bleachers under the press box and on both sides. I count 17 rows on this drawing so it seems with the club seating there will not be a loss of capacity and maybe a small increase. Who knows how accurate the drawing is but I like the design a lot. Fits Utah State very well IMO?

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » December 10th, 2014, 10:53 pm

kkalian311 wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
That is the west side
The west side meaning the view from the parking lot. Not from the field.
Ohhhh. OK

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 10th, 2014, 10:55 pm

I like that they are essentially creating a building with stands as the east wall with the press box crowning the building. However, I don't love that the design looks to shorten the size of the west stands and looks likely to seriously limit future upward expansion. I also think the luxury boxes need to be at the level of the tunnels with club seating extending 10 or so rows below that. Then they should put more seating above the box seats. That design seems to put the boxes and club seating all the way to the top.

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » December 10th, 2014, 10:57 pm

bluegrouse wrote:There are currently 19 rows of chair backs in the upper west side of Romney with a few rows more of bleachers under the press box and on both sides. I count 17 rows on this drawing so it seems with the club seating there will not be a loss of capacity and maybe a small increase. Who knows how accurate the drawing is but I like the design a lot. Fits Utah State very well IMO?
But this looks like we lose five or six rows on the lower west side.

bluegrouse

Post by bluegrouse » December 10th, 2014, 11:05 pm

There are currently 19 rows on the lower west side. I count 19 or even twenty in the drawing. I think our tiny press box now makes the west side stand look larger than they are. When you get the big building mass of the new press box, I think it makes the stands look smaller by comparison.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 10th, 2014, 11:08 pm

brownjeans wrote:I like that they are essentially creating a building with stands as the east wall with the press box crowning the building. However, I don't love that the design looks to shorten the size of the west stands and looks likely to seriously limit future upward expansion. I also think the luxury boxes need to be at the level of the tunnels with club seating extending 10 or so rows below that. Then they should put more seating above the box seats. That design seems to put the boxes and club seating all the way to the top.
Future upward expansion? How many seats do you think we need in Romney? We could easily put in another 30,000 seats elsewhere in the stadium and NEVER fill them. Quality over quantity, my friend.

HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter » December 10th, 2014, 11:16 pm

I don't think people realize how HUGE that thing would be in real life. I just want it blue or grey

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » December 10th, 2014, 11:32 pm

Where is the extra seating coming from? Here is a hint:

"where the saaaaage brush NO LONGER groooooooooooooooooooooooooooows"
Last edited by ViAggie on December 10th, 2014, 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » December 10th, 2014, 11:37 pm

That looks nice. I'm not sure of the brick/color idea though. I agree with blue or grey.

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 11th, 2014, 12:05 am

bluegrouse wrote:There are currently 19 rows on the lower west side. I count 19 or even twenty in the drawing. I think our tiny press box now makes the west side stand look larger than they are. When you get the big building mass of the new press box, I think it makes the stands look smaller by comparison.

Yeah, after overlaying a photo taken from approximately this same angle, we don't lose as much seating as I had previously thought.

I will say, this is the best rendition of the building that I have seen as far as the style, size, and layout. It is the first one I have seen that doesn't make it appear as though it was an afterthought or an add-on. It also appears to match the style of the adjacent buildings as well as the new Estes Center.

Also of note is that another post on MTI's Facebook page says the scope of work calls for a 55,000 s.f. Suite/Pressbox building. At least we have a number put out there...

NAggsty Butler

Post by NAggsty Butler » December 11th, 2014, 12:25 am

"BYU is like a 4-year-long church dance with 20,000 chaperones all waiting for you to forget to shave one morning so they can throw you out." -GeoAg

AggieMan5

Post by AggieMan5 » December 11th, 2014, 12:32 am

Amazing.

zimaggie

Post by zimaggie » December 11th, 2014, 5:16 am

The old box goes from 15 to 15 but the new in looks like end zone to end zone.
Along with box suites I hope they have covered seat like rice Eccles.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 11th, 2014, 5:45 am

Love it!

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » December 11th, 2014, 6:08 am

I was told they were taking off everything above the first 8 rows of seating above the tunnels on the west side. The reason for this being so wide is because they can't take the pressbox up due the ground on the west side. They have drilled down and can't find anything solid enough to hold the added weight of a new press box plus the current seats. So instead of going up they are going wide and taking off some seating.

bigbluebaby

Post by bigbluebaby » December 11th, 2014, 8:20 am

Love it! Short of bulldozing the west side it is about the best you can do.

When does it start?

"So your saying I got a chance ??!!"

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 11th, 2014, 9:02 am

How much more would it cost to do something classic, fully functionally/multi dimensional like creating a building from the parking lot level up? Parking lot level would include ticket booths that can accommodate walk up crowds to get people into the game on time, and ELEVATORS so people don't have to hike stairs or walk on uneven terrain to get to the main level. You could have offices/classrooms on the first 2/3 levels, a major concourse level opening up to the tunnels that would be enclosed to include concessions, seating rest areas to eat, restrooms, etc. Then another level or 2 of offices/classrooms/press and then the 2 or 3 levels of pressbox/suites. This would set the press box further west and not lower capacity or limit future expansion capability should we ever want to "horseshoe" the south end.
Give it a classic look from 8th east along the lines of Yankee Stadium or Coors Field. I realize we don't have the money and it's likely too late in the game to do something revolutionary. I just worry we'll piece meal everything and end up with a crappy looking lopsided stadium like Boise State.

YoungBloodAggie

Post by YoungBloodAggie » December 11th, 2014, 9:09 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:How much more would it cost to do something classic, fully functionally/multi dimensional like creating a building from the parking lot level up? Parking lot level would include ticket booths that can accommodate walk up crowds to get people into the game on time, and ELEVATORS so people don't have to hike stairs or walk on uneven terrain to get to the main level. You could have offices/classrooms on the first 2/3 levels, a major concourse level opening up to the tunnels that would be enclosed to include concessions, seating rest areas to eat, restrooms, etc. Then another level or 2 of offices/classrooms/press and then the 2 or 3 levels of pressbox/suites. This would set the press box further west and not lower capacity or limit future expansion capability should we ever want to "horseshoe" the south end.
Give it a classic look from 8th east along the lines of Yankee Stadium or Coors Field. I realize we don't have the money and it's likely too late in the game to do something revolutionary. I just worry we'll piece meal everything and end up with a crappy looking lopsided stadium like Boise State.

Yankee Stadium cost 1.5 billion. I'll ask the wife if we can increase our donations by 500,000%

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » December 11th, 2014, 9:11 am

I'm not asking to build a whole god damn stadium

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » December 11th, 2014, 9:14 am

aggiesdotcom wrote:I'm not asking to build a whole god damn stadium
The problem is that funds are not unlimited. In fact, they are very limited. I just don't think it would be financially feasible to do what you are suggesting.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » December 11th, 2014, 9:22 am

I agree though that I don't want to limit future expansion. I just hope they can fit as many west side seats as possible because they are the best seats in the stadium. I was really hoping they'd be able to build the west side up to the east side. Sounds like that's not a possibility.

Locked Previous topicNext topic