This team is worse than the one that got Guy fired

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

This team is worse than the one that got Guy fired

Post by QuackAttackAggie » September 30th, 2023, 11:28 am

Well I had written that we have 22 yards with 30 seconds left but then we tripled that in a play. I'll take the credit.

Our offense in 29 minutes had two more yards than their defensive tackle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post (total 2):
flying_scotsman2.0Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Re: This team is worse than the one that got Guy fired

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » September 30th, 2023, 11:24 pm

We'll win more than 3 games which that 08 team won. Probably a worse 1st quarter team, but hopefully that doesn't continue.
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
JSHarvey

utAgg
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by utAgg » October 2nd, 2023, 6:26 pm

QuackAttackAggie wrote:Well I had written that we have 22 yards with 30 seconds left but then we tripled that in a play. I'll take the credit.

Brent Guy never had to deal with NIL and the transfer portal. Whole different game these days.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 2nd, 2023, 7:08 pm

utAgg wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 6:26 pm
QuackAttackAggie wrote:Well I had written that we have 22 yards with 30 seconds left but then we tripled that in a play. I'll take the credit.

Brent Guy never had to deal with NIL and the transfer portal. Whole different game these days.

The guy went 9-38; one of the worst records in all of college football over those 4 years. Are you trying to argue he would be better or worse with the transfer portal?
These users thanked the author Aggie formerly in Hawaii for the post:
BustaMcNutt

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 2nd, 2023, 7:35 pm

we'll find out Saturday, did BG ever play or beat an old school WAC program?

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 2nd, 2023, 8:06 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 7:35 pm
He beat Hawaii in 08. His biggest win. Guy never beat a team that finished with a winning record.

NorCalAggie

Post by NorCalAggie » October 2nd, 2023, 8:42 pm

Brent had a lot of demons that we all did not know about. And his wife Shawn HATED Logan. It was a tough, lonely road for him.
These users thanked the author NorCalAggie for the post (total 3):
AggieFBObsessionViAggieaggies22

flying_scotsman2.0

Post by flying_scotsman2.0 » October 2nd, 2023, 9:21 pm

But Brent Guy did have the most legendary commercial. Remember the one that started off with him in bed, his alarm going off, and him sitting bolt upright, ready for Aggie gameday? So clutch. We need stronger media like that.
These users thanked the author flying_scotsman2.0 for the post (total 2):
bigblue32aggies22

AggieFBObsession

Post by AggieFBObsession » October 2nd, 2023, 9:27 pm

ViAggie wrote:
He beat Fresno State in Logan with Riley Nelson. Painful to think about that game in so many ways

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 2nd, 2023, 9:53 pm

Aggie formerly in Hawaii wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 7:08 pm
utAgg wrote:

The guy went 9-38; one of the worst records in all of college football over those 4 years. Are you trying to argue he would be better or worse with the transfer portal?
He had an idea which you could respect, but was never going to work out, in trying to build the program for the long term with freshmen and recruit minimal JC kids for the quick fix. It was enough of an uphill battle under the old rules as you are going to get higher caliber of JC kids than freshmen, but almost a lost cause under the new rules. But you also have to wonder if he would have, if he had taken the job under the current rules, realized it was a lost cause to build with freshmen.

He also didn't have the ability to bring in transfers, and you do have to wonder how successful he would have been there. He probably would have been able to bring in some kids who originally sign with ASU, the only question is would he be able to pick out the ones that are talented enough to make a difference here from the ones with poor attitudes that get them off the team and available in the portal in the first place.

I do remember one thing Randy Spetman took into consideration in making the decision to choose Brent Guy was he asked his daughter who was attending ASU ask the ASU players who she was friends with how they felt about Brent Guy, and they all said they liked him and respected him, so you have to wonder if the players respected him enough to want to come here.

Another thought related to the alternative universe of the portal being around for Brent Guy is that maybe if BYU had the ability to recruit proven starters at the quarterback position, Max Hall cause of his friendship with Guy would have ended up as an Aggie. You would also think that Riley Nelson probably wouldn't have been poached by BYU under the current rules, not if they had the ability to go after more proven quarterbacks back then.

Finally, one coach that would have been more likely to clean up if they had the portal in the days of the WAC was San Jose State with Dick Tomey. Tomey was able to bring in alot of quality transfers to do the old sit-out thing, he would have been able to build San Jose into a power under the current rules. You do also have to wonder how old school coaches like Chris Ault, Pat Hill and Joe Glenn would have done under the current rules. Hal Mumme maybe would have been able to do more running the air raid at NMSU under the new rules.

The Old Bull

Post by The Old Bull » October 2nd, 2023, 10:34 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 9:53 pm
utAgg wrote:

He had an idea which you could respect, but was never going to work out, in trying to build the program for the long term with freshmen and recruit minimal JC kids for the quick fix. It was enough of an uphill battle under the old rules as you are going to get higher caliber of JC kids than freshmen, but almost a lost cause under the new rules. But you also have to wonder if he would have, if he had taken the job under the current rules, realized it was a lost cause to build with freshmen.

He also didn't have the ability to bring in transfers, and you do have to wonder how successful he would have been there. He probably would have been able to bring in some kids who originally sign with ASU, the only question is would he be able to pick out the ones that are talented enough to make a difference here from the ones with poor attitudes that get them off the team and available in the portal in the first place.

I do remember one thing Randy Spetman took into consideration in making the decision to choose Brent Guy was he asked his daughter who was attending ASU ask the ASU players who she was friends with how they felt about Brent Guy, and they all said they liked him and respected him, so you have to wonder if the players respected him enough to want to come here.

Another thought related to the alternative universe of the portal being around for Brent Guy is that maybe if BYU had the ability to recruit proven starters at the quarterback position, Max Hall cause of his friendship with Guy would have ended up as an Aggie. You would also think that Riley Nelson probably wouldn't have been poached by BYU under the current rules, not if they had the ability to go after more proven quarterbacks back then.

Finally, one coach that would have been more likely to clean up if they had the portal in the days of the WAC was San Jose State with Dick Tomey. Tomey was able to bring in alot of quality transfers to do the old sit-out thing, he would have been able to build San Jose into a power under the current rules. You do also have to wonder how old school coaches like Chris Ault, Pat Hill and Joe Glenn would have done under the current rules. Hal Mumme maybe would have been able to do more running the air raid at NMSU under the new rules.
That’s more remembering, wondering and thinking than I can do in one night… I’ll have to think on it some more tomorrow.

But you have to think Brent Guy and Blake Anderson are both good dudes. I made a couple
laps up at Beaver Mtn with BG. Seemed like a genuine good dude… and an okay skier(I hear BA is too) wish it would have worked out better for him. You have to wonder if those to similarities sort of link them together../ let’s hope not. 😜

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 3rd, 2023, 11:19 am

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 9:53 pm
utAgg wrote:

This is why you don't make hires based on if players like a coach. It is like how players usually like the long term assistant and want him promoted even though he isn't who should get the job. I know Tim Duryea had support not just from current players, but from past players. Obviously doesn't mean he was the right guy for the job.

And Riley wasn't a good college QB. People really romanticize that win over Fresno and forget the rest of his college career which wasn't good. We had the much better QB in 2012 that byu fans would have gladly traded Riley for anyday of the week.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 3rd, 2023, 11:37 am

AggieFBObsession wrote:
October 2nd, 2023, 9:27 pm
ViAggie wrote:
He beat Fresno State in Logan with Riley Nelson. Painful to think about that game in so many ways
I remember it well, me and rAggie got put on camera doing the 🤘before that was a thing at USU... now it's a thing. Glad we helped make that a thing :lol: :rock:
These users thanked the author ViAggie for the post:
AggieFBObsession

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » October 3rd, 2023, 12:01 pm

ViAggie wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 11:37 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
I remember it well, me and rAggie got put on camera doing the 🤘before that was a thing at USU... now it's a thing. Glad we helped make that a thing :lol: :rock:
Yep, you were probably there with Big Mike.

shoresy

Post by shoresy » October 3rd, 2023, 12:18 pm

This team would beat the team that got Guy fired by 40+

Now, they obviously have more resources, way higher expectations, and the coach is making 4X as much, but it wouldn't even be a game. And that's not an endorsement of this year's team, either.
These users thanked the author shoresy for the post:
GameFAQSAggie

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 3rd, 2023, 12:54 pm

shoresy wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 12:18 pm
This team would beat the team that got Guy fired by 40+

Now, they obviously have more resources, way higher expectations, and the coach is making 4X as much, but it wouldn't even be a game. And that's not an endorsement of this year's team, either.
When I posted this I was thinking it was the 2009 team that was Guy's last, so I'd probably agree with you. But the 2008 team had wagner, kyle gallagher, jake hutton, kellen bartlett, levi koskan, diondre borrel, robert turbin, chris randle, stanley morrison, curtis marsh, and some others. That's a really solid group of guys who were 1-2 years away from becoming huge contributors.
These users thanked the author QuackAttackAggie for the post:
aggies22

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 3rd, 2023, 1:31 pm

It's hard to compare. Brent Guy's last year was truly bad. Frankly the first couple of years that Gary put on the field wasn't much better. We hung our hat on "moral victories" against Texas A&M but we still had a couple of seasons with no bowl even under Gary- even if we did see improvement in other areas. It should be noted that some of Gary's best players were Guy recruits. Guy probably doesn't get Bobby or Turbin into the NFL or change Curtis Marsh to corner. So it isn't to say "Gary wasn't much better" but it's not as if Gary had immediate Ws.
These users thanked the author Imakeitrain for the post:
aggies22

cval

Post by cval » October 3rd, 2023, 8:24 pm

The Portal version of building with Freshmen rather than JC guys is bringing in transfers with more than one year remaining. The transfer rules make it harder to transfer a second time.

Blake and staff did that pretty well with the guys they brought in this offseason.

Next year is when we will find out if that strategy will pay off. It should lead to better continuity.
These users thanked the author cval for the post:
aggies22

aggies22
Aggie Insider, Pick'em Champ - '18 Kickoff, '19 Weekly

Post by aggies22 » October 4th, 2023, 6:38 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 1:31 pm
It's hard to compare. Brent Guy's last year was truly bad. Frankly the first couple of years that Gary put on the field wasn't much better. We hung our hat on "moral victories" against Texas A&M but we still had a couple of seasons with no bowl even under Gary- even if we did see improvement in other areas. It should be noted that some of Gary's best players were Guy recruits. Guy probably doesn't get Bobby or Turbin into the NFL or change Curtis Marsh to corner. So it isn't to say "Gary wasn't much better" but it's not as if Gary had immediate Ws.
People forget that 9 of 22 starters were JuCo guys during Garys big season of 2012. He went JuCo heavy to win big and bail just like John L. and Weatherbie.
These users thanked the author aggies22 for the post:
ViAggie

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » October 4th, 2023, 6:53 am

Imakeitrain wrote:It's hard to compare. Brent Guy's last year was truly bad. Frankly the first couple of years that Gary put on the field wasn't much better. We hung our hat on "moral victories" against Texas A&M but we still had a couple of seasons with no bowl even under Gary- even if we did see improvement in other areas. It should be noted that some of Gary's best players were Guy recruits. Guy probably doesn't get Bobby or Turbin into the NFL or change Curtis Marsh to corner. So it isn't to say "Gary wasn't much better" but it's not as if Gary had immediate Ws.
I remember Gary’s first year (and second) getting to 4 wins. 4 wins felt like such a huge improvement. Funny looking back on it now.

These users thanked the author newhouse9 for the post:
aggies22

bwcrc

Post by bwcrc » October 4th, 2023, 10:12 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 1:31 pm
I would argue that GA 1.0's best and most important victory was actually a moral victory - changing the culture to one where the players truly believed they could not only hang with every team on the schedule but actually beat them. Changing that culture ultimately led to actual wins on the field.

Even though it took a couple of years for that culture change to develop, there was a feeling surrounding the program that things were changing and improving once GA 1.0 arrived. In truth, there was probably no possible way to reverse the losing culture into a winning culture any faster than he did.

As a student, I would have loved seeing six wins just once. Now, the reasonable expectation is a minimum of six wins every year.
These users thanked the author bwcrc for the post (total 4):
utahcountyaggieImakeitrainjpswensenBustaMcNutt

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » October 5th, 2023, 12:01 am

ViAggie wrote:
October 3rd, 2023, 11:37 am
AggieFBObsession wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
I wish it wasn’t a thing. The Utes’ U hand sign is lame, but at least slightly different than Miami.

This crap the HURD does is a blatant ripoff of Texas. Pair that with being a small school in a G5 conference and it just looks sad.

I try not to let something so insignificant bother me, but it really does. The Hurd has been responsible for so much unique energy and creativity over the years. The fact that they’ve mailed it in, and adopted a hand sign that anyone outside of Logan identifies with one school in Austin, is obnoxious.

Do better, Hurd. #DontHookEm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic