Players/coaches reaction to the SUU debacle?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ineptimusprime

Players/coaches reaction to the SUU debacle?

Post by ineptimusprime » September 5th, 2015, 11:02 pm

Does anyone have any inside info on how the players and coaches are reacting to Thursday night's complete and utter embarrassment?

I notice we're still churning out "awesome" highlight videos, Chuckie is still shooting TV spots, and while Coach Wells seemed concerned on the post-game show, I didn't think he seemed "we just got pretty much shut out by an FCS school" concerned. Anything beyond that we aren't seeing? Publically, I'm not seeing the appropriate level of "oh sh**, oh sh**, oh sh**." Makes me worried we might have to wait until Utah blows our doors off to see any real sense of urgency.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Re: Players/coaches reaction to the SUU debacle?

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 5th, 2015, 11:04 pm

What coaches do you see freak out in public after a crappy game?

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."
-Thomas Paine

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » September 5th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Wells seemed pretty pissed in the post game interviews I heard. He praised the D and absolved Chuckie of any responsibility. Outside of that everything else was fair game.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 5th, 2015, 11:12 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:What coaches do you see freak out in public after a crappy game?
Spurrier?

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » September 5th, 2015, 11:22 pm

John L?

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » September 5th, 2015, 11:32 pm

David Moala had this to say on Twitter: "Silence the noise. True Aggies stay true Aggies."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noods
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by noods » September 5th, 2015, 11:39 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:What coaches do you see freak out in public after a crappy game?

How about this?

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » September 5th, 2015, 11:56 pm

And did those public freak outs improve the team more than coaches who handled stuff internally? Does there need to be a public freak out for a coach to be properly upset about a performance?

"A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right."
-Thomas Paine

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 6th, 2015, 12:05 am

ineptimusprime wrote:Does anyone have any inside info on how the players and coaches are reacting to Thursday night's complete and utter embarrassment?

I notice we're still churning out "awesome" highlight videos, Chuckie is still shooting TV spots, and while Coach Wells seemed concerned on the post-game show, I didn't think he seemed "we just got pretty much shut out by an FCS school" concerned. Anything beyond that we aren't seeing? Publically, I'm not seeing the appropriate level of "oh sh**, oh sh**, oh sh**." Makes me worried we might have to wait until Utah blows our doors off to see any real sense of urgency.
What would you consider appropriate? Do you really think they think everything is hunky dory? Wells clearly was concerned about the game. I guess I don't understand what you want to see that you aren't seeing.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

BigBlueSteve

Post by BigBlueSteve » September 6th, 2015, 12:11 am

noods wrote:

How about this?

This is my favorite!!! I totally understand what you're saying, though. As fans we react and show our emotions on our sleeve (or message board, as it were) and it makes us nervous when we don't see the players and coaches having the same reactions. Unfortunately, most of the time we don't get to see that until it is played out against the following weeks' opponent.

Let the wait till USU @ UofU begin....

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » September 6th, 2015, 6:18 am

I would love to get some inside info as to the private reactions from coaches and players. I know that kind of information is hard to get, but would still love to hear what they are really thinking.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » September 6th, 2015, 7:13 am

[quote="GeoAg"What would you consider appropriate? Do you really think they think everything is hunky dory? Wells clearly was concerned about the game. I guess I don't understand what you want to see that you aren't seeing.[/quote]

I guess my biggest concern is that this problem isn't new, and seemingly nothing has been done about it. :noidea:

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 6th, 2015, 7:30 am

YouEssYou wrote:[quote="GeoAg"What would you consider appropriate? Do you really think they think everything is hunky dory? Wells clearly was concerned about the game. I guess I don't understand what you want to see that you aren't seeing.
I guess my biggest concern is that this problem isn't new, and seemingly nothing has been done about it. :noidea:[/quote]

What problem isn't new? I wouldn't classify 'not enough freaking out' as something we've had a problem with. This team has always shown an ability to recover from losses and improve.

I'm not defending the effort from Thursday night. I just think this whole thread is about the emotions of fandom and wanting to see that it matters to the coaches and players as much as it matter to us. If you stop and think, it clearly does. They put more into than any of us.

The only reaction that matters at all is the effort we see in the next game. I don't need a John L. type dog and pony show to know that things matter. Talk is cheap. I'll wait until the next game to decide if the reaction was 'enough'.

"I don't think you become resilient right in the middle of the season when adversity hits. You learn how to face adversity in the offseason in football. That's when we win games around Utah State." -Coach Matt Wells #ArmsAround

stewusu98

Post by stewusu98 » September 6th, 2015, 7:49 am

Go listen to the Nick Vigil interview after the game. I forgot how he phrased it, but something like the most frustrating game he has ever played.

YouEssYou

Post by YouEssYou » September 6th, 2015, 8:17 am

GeoAg wrote:
YouEssYou wrote:[quote="GeoAg"What would you consider appropriate? Do you really think they think everything is hunky dory? Wells clearly was concerned about the game. I guess I don't understand what you want to see that you aren't seeing.
I guess my biggest concern is that this problem isn't new, and seemingly nothing has been done about it. :noidea:
What problem isn't new? [/quote]

The Oline.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » September 6th, 2015, 8:50 am

YouEssYou wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
What problem isn't new?
The Oline.[/quote]

I agree that we have an issue there. Not sure how it applies to this thread unless you are wanting to see coaching staff changes right now as a reaction (which I wouldn't mind seeing, but not at this point in the season).

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » September 6th, 2015, 8:56 am

[youtube][/youtube]

"Gary Come Home”
-Mr. Spongebob Squarepants

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » September 6th, 2015, 9:00 am

GeoAg wrote:
YouEssYou wrote:
GeoAg wrote:
What problem isn't new?
The Oline.
I agree that we have an issue there. Not sure how it applies to this thread unless you are wanting to see coaching staff changes right now as a reaction (which I wouldn't mind seeing, but not at this point in the season).
When would you like to see it happen?
My answers:
1. After the 2013 season
2. After the 2014 season
3. Now

I'm usually a guy that is hesitant to fire someone because the replacement is not guaranteed to be an improvement, but I really do not see how getting worse is even an option.

"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

glendayle

Post by glendayle » September 6th, 2015, 9:24 am

I hope you realize that if you fire Weber it will get worse before it gets better.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » September 6th, 2015, 9:37 am

ineptimusprime wrote:Does anyone have any inside info on how the players and coaches are reacting to Thursday night's complete and utter embarrassment?

You want the actual players of the team to act like juvenile message board fanboys? That'd be VERY bad for the team. Very glad they act nothing like you.

Though the fact a bunch of college students are more mature than most of the people here is pretty sad in general I suppose.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » September 6th, 2015, 9:45 am

UtahStizzle wrote:

You want the actual players of the team to act like juvenile message board fanboys? That'd be VERY bad for the team. Very glad they act nothing like you.

Though the fact a bunch of college students are more mature than most of the people here is pretty sad in general I suppose.
Geeeeez.... personal attack much? I was intentionally a little over dramatic in the OP, but you gotta realize I endured our game and a KU football game this weekend.

I've had a rough last 3 years, and was hoping for a football "pick-me-up" this weekend--got my worst experience at MOFAMS ever and a QB who doesn't know how to spike the ball.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » September 6th, 2015, 10:20 am

glendayle wrote:I hope you realize that if you fire Weber it will get worse before it gets better.
Worse than Thursday night? Help me understand?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SuperiorBlueDiver

Post by SuperiorBlueDiver » September 6th, 2015, 10:39 am

It's very simple. Our mantra since GA was here is "don't get too high and don't get too low. Stay even keeled". Remember Gary before the Utah game in 2012? "Nothing phases us, come good, come bad, come indifferent. Nothing phases the Aggies."

Trust me we've seen our flaws and are aware of them. Corrective action will be taken. Profanity laced tirades are just tirades. They don't correct anything just show that we can't handle emotions. I'm sure the whole team is upset but it's better to channel that emotion in a constructive way rather than just losing it so the fans can see they're upset.

I'm maintaining that we are only a few corrections from being very good.

I would much rather have seen a 12-9 win with great defense than Oregon's 60 something to 41 win over E. Wash. When you're defense gives up 41 to an fcs team that's a bigger red flag to me than an offense that struggled.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » September 6th, 2015, 10:42 am

The team is extremely disappointed with their performance and they were embarrassed that they played so poorly. They aren't going to show it publicly but that game wasn't any easier for the players than it was for the fans. Good teams find ways to win. It was a bad game but a bad game can be great motivation to get better.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 6th, 2015, 10:52 am

glendayle wrote:I hope you realize that if you fire Weber it will get worse before it gets better.
I don't necessarily agree with this. Wisconsin did it a few years ago and saw immediate improvement.

aggie23

Post by aggie23 » September 6th, 2015, 10:55 am

SuperiorBlueDiver wrote:It's very simple. Our mantra since GA was here is "don't get too high and don't get too low. Stay even keeled". Remember Gary before the Utah game in 2012? "Nothing phases us, come good, come bad, come indifferent. Nothing phases the Aggies."

Trust me we've seen our flaws and are aware of them. Corrective action will be taken. Profanity laced tirades are just tirades. They don't correct anything just show that we can't handle emotions. I'm sure the whole team is upset but it's better to channel that emotion in a constructive way rather than just losing it so the fans can see they're upset.

I'm maintaining that we are only a few corrections from being very good.

I would much rather have seen a 12-9 win with great defense than Oregon's 60 something to 41 win over E. Wash. When you're defense gives up 41 to an fcs team that's a bigger red flag to me than an offense that struggled.
Great post. I agree 100% thanks SBD.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sr. Tubastank

Post by Sr. Tubastank » September 6th, 2015, 11:21 am

In 2009, Iowa opened with Northern Iowa. They had them at home and were ranked 21st in the country. They had to block two field goals in a row as time expired to beat Northern Iowa. They went on to a 11-2 season beating Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl. I'm NOT saying we will go to a NY6 bowl. I'm saying that things can be fixed after game 1. I have faith in the players and coaching staff to make this happen.

@Call_It_Ustate

paaron46

Post by paaron46 » September 6th, 2015, 11:40 am

Not a player or a coach, but Austin Stephens mom took to Twitter and fired some shots at Cache Valley Daily's Eric Frandsen after he mentioned how bad the o-line was:

Frandsen - "But really, everything frustrating about Thursday night begins and ends with the #USU offensive line"

Annette Stephens - "Seriously u do not think they know that!!!! My heart hurts for son try to remember these kids care and own it."

"yes and bashing them on public forums is unfair no guys want to give more to this team I am tired of it"

"hopefully it is time to quiet the noise game over with a great W. Ready for next week!"

Twitter: @AaronPeck

donlarson8

Post by donlarson8 » September 6th, 2015, 11:42 am

Empire of Dirt wrote:

It's pretty simple. We could lose.

Empire of Dirt

Post by Empire of Dirt » September 6th, 2015, 12:03 pm

donlarson8 wrote:
Empire of Dirt wrote:

It's pretty simple. We could lose.

I was talking o-line play.

Machismo

Post by Machismo » September 6th, 2015, 12:28 pm

paaron46 wrote:Not a player or a coach, but Austin Stephens mom took to Twitter and fired some shots at Cache Valley Daily's Eric Frandsen after he mentioned how bad the o-line was:

Frandsen - "But really, everything frustrating about Thursday night begins and ends with the #USU offensive line"

Annette Stephens - "Seriously u do not think they know that!!!! My heart hurts for son try to remember these kids care and own it."

"yes and bashing them on public forums is unfair no guys want to give more to this team I am tired of it"

"hopefully it is time to quiet the noise game over with a great W. Ready for next week!"
When your Team plays in the best non P5 Conference in the Country and has been picked by the media to challenge for the
Division championship plus talk of challenging for the Conference Crown there are expectations. This is D 1 College football, players and Parents alike have got to expect some grumbling when you come out with a performance like that for all the nation to see.I have been hard on em I'll admit it, most my concern is about the O Line Coaching, not the players themselves. This O has 11 regular season Games left to prove that they are much better than the other night. I think they'll come out better next Game.

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

Aggieiester

Post by Aggieiester » September 6th, 2015, 12:44 pm

paaron46 wrote:Not a player or a coach, but Austin Stephens mom took to Twitter and fired some shots at Cache Valley Daily's Eric Frandsen after he mentioned how bad the o-line was:

Frandsen might want to spend a little less time on twitter and a little more time working on the $hit show of a radio broadcast

glendayle

Post by glendayle » September 6th, 2015, 12:53 pm

LOL. That is funny. If you can't take the criticism, don't listen to the radio. OR don't have a son that sucks. :) Just kidding about that last part, but man, i'm laughing.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » September 6th, 2015, 1:25 pm

These kids have put in a lot more work for the season than me. In sure their disappointment is worse than mine. I hope it motivates them the same.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » September 6th, 2015, 1:46 pm

I actually don't think there has been too much bashing of the actual players. I haven't read anyone say that they are a bunch of breast-fed mamas' boys (as my old hs coach used to say). I think the blame has appropriately been placed on coaching.

Locked Previous topicNext topic