Too bad officials can't call pass interference

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
GameFAQSAggie

Too bad officials can't call pass interference

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 3rd, 2015, 11:28 pm

on themselves, even when they commit it!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 & '17 Weekly

Re: Too bad officials can't call pass interference

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 3rd, 2015, 11:29 pm

Stood over him and taunted after it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » October 3rd, 2015, 11:52 pm

I couldn't believe he didn't even see if he was ok or anything.. Maybe you can't talk to players. Wells seemed to be pretty hacked off about it.

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » October 3rd, 2015, 11:57 pm

It's on the front page of ESPN right now. Right side part way down.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » October 4th, 2015, 12:26 am

You can see the back judge curse to himself right after it happened. I'm pretty sure he knew he totally screwed that up.

Aggies For Life
Troll
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Aggies For Life » October 4th, 2015, 3:08 am

This play pissed me off so bad, too bad our player didn't see the ref there. If I were playing, and I noticed the ref in front of me like that, I would lower my shoulder and put him on the ground.

This is my signature.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » October 4th, 2015, 5:48 am

Aggies For Life wrote:This play pissed me off so bad, too bad our player didn't see the ref there. If I were playing, and I noticed the ref in front of me like that, I would lower my shoulder and put him on the ground.
At least Jalen got his pick in the end. Poor kid had 2 others that were o so close. Jalen never even saw thee ref on the play to lower his shoulder. He had zeroed in on the ball above him. Almost like a perfect blindside earhole running into a guy who has 50 lbs on you and was pretty solid at full speed and totally relaxed.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » October 4th, 2015, 5:57 am

brownjeans wrote:You can see the back judge curse to himself right after it happened. I'm pretty sure he knew he totally screwed that up.
as an official that's the worst feeling. The yahoo's around me were chirping at him and were so Angry, like it was on purpose...

Hail Aggies!

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » October 4th, 2015, 5:59 am

Aggies For Life wrote:This play pissed me off so bad, too bad our player didn't see the ref there. If I were playing, and I noticed the ref in front of me like that, I would lower my shoulder and put him on the ground.

Hail Aggies!

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '15 & '17 Weekly

Post by QuackAttackAggie » October 4th, 2015, 7:42 am

brownjeans wrote:You can see the back judge curse to himself right after it happened. I'm pretty sure he knew he totally screwed that up.
How? He was just doing his job. He was in position to watch for PI on the WR.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 4th, 2015, 7:47 am

QuackAttackAggie wrote:
How? He was just doing his job. He was in position to watch for PI on the WR.

You don't think, just maybe, he should try to move to a spot where the ball isn't coming?

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 4th, 2015, 9:01 am

This is a interesting thread.

He was out of position. That ball landed behind him. He is the deep no ball gets behind you . And he was not doing his job.
His job is to watch the players not the ball. He was clearly watching the path of the pass. His head should be down watching the contact of the players on that play.

Trubludru

Post by Trubludru » October 4th, 2015, 9:50 am

I was sitting at the north end, yeah there were a lot of people thinking they were pretty tough for yelling at the ref for being dumb. In all honesty, the ref screwed up, he made virtually no effort to get out of the way of the play. Unfortunately refs are part of the field of play.

middleageag

Post by middleageag » October 4th, 2015, 9:57 am

this thread sounds like byu north. Aggies should stop (I can't express myself without swearing) about the refs.
Seriously??? "I would lower my shoulder and put him on the ground."
That sounds so byu that it makes me wonder if you would you also alligator-roll his legs, nut-punch him then let him stand up and sucker-punch him in the back of the head?
Sounds like you could be the re-incarnate of our byu-troll, Dr Simon???

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » October 4th, 2015, 10:51 am

Relax. this is a message board. It is ok to talk about a ref not doing his job. It was a poorly called game. On both sides of the ball.

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » October 4th, 2015, 11:29 am

TheAKAggie wrote:

I played a ton of football. In football if someone doesn't get out of your way, you lower your shoulder and get them out of your way, know what I'm sayin?

This is my signature.

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » October 4th, 2015, 11:43 am

Aggies For Life wrote:
TheAKAggie wrote:

I played a ton of football. In football if someone doesn't get out of your way, you lower your shoulder and get them out of your way, know what I'm sayin?

Hail Aggies!

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » October 4th, 2015, 2:05 pm

Thing that amazes me is the quantity of refs on the field. Seems to me like this should happen more often. I think the Mountain West has one more ref on the field then the other conferences. to me, this seems like it should lead to more penalties and slower games, I hate it. Less zebras, less penaties, more continuity.

TheAKAggie

Post by TheAKAggie » October 4th, 2015, 2:26 pm

NibleyAg wrote:Thing that amazes me is the quantity of refs on the field. Seems to me like this should happen more often. I think the Mountain West has one more ref on the field then the other conferences. to me, this seems like it should lead to more penalties and slower games, I hate it. Less zebras, less penaties, more continuity.
As of this year they all have 8. The second official in the Offensive backfield is responsible for giving the D time to sub if the O does. That was the umpire is in a better position.

Hail Aggies!

TrueBigBlue

Post by TrueBigBlue » October 4th, 2015, 10:58 pm

TheAKAggie wrote:
as an official that's the worst feeling. The yahoo's around me were chirping at him and were so Angry, like it was on purpose...

I wasn't chirping because I thought it was on purpose. I was "chirping" because the refs had made lots of mistakes and this was the worst one. Could have cost us the game.

The game should have been over on that play. Would everyone be on the ref's side if CSU had ended up scoring on that drive and winning in OT? Anyone think we wouldn't mind a loss just because we didn't want to hurt the ref's feelings over a mistake?

Yeah, the ref's are part of the field, but they're also paid to do a job and use their vision, and reasoning, to direct the game without directly manipulating the outcome.

Dude should have moved. Plain and simple.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 5th, 2015, 9:36 am

I didn't understand the booing and I don't understand this. Yes, the ref may have been too far back, but it's very hard to estimate the ball trajectory and defensive player's speed, while simultaneously observing the action happening during the play, away from the ball.

If you were playing, and you lowered your shoulder to put the ref on the ground, you would necessarily NOT be looking to make a play on the ball. I'm glad that we have defenders that actually look to make football plays!

Unfortunate, unintentional, things happen in sports. There is no need to boo this ref, or get up-in-arms about how he responded to the unfortunate set of circumstances. He's not a coach, teammate, fan, or team physician - he's an unbiased, imperfect sports moderator who clearly made a professional error. I'm sure that he's perfectly embarrassed by his new-found ESPN notoriety.

The booing seemed weird and zoob-ish (impassioned, irrational, and ignorant) to me.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

coolag

Post by coolag » October 5th, 2015, 9:58 am

918AGG wrote:
I didn't understand the booing and I don't understand this. Yes, the ref may have been too far back, but it's very hard to estimate the ball trajectory and defensive player's speed, while simultaneously observing the action happening during the play, away from the ball.

If you were playing, and you lowered your shoulder to put the ref on the ground, you would necessarily NOT be looking to make a play on the ball. I'm glad that we have defenders that actually look to make football plays!

Unfortunate, unintentional, things happen in sports. There is no need to boo this ref, or get up-in-arms about how he responded to the unfortunate set of circumstances. He's not a coach, teammate, fan, or team physician - he's an unbiased, imperfect sports moderator who clearly made a professional error. I'm sure that he's perfectly embarrassed by his new-found ESPN notoriety.

The booing seemed weird and zoob-ish (impassioned, irrational, and ignorant) to me.

Or in other words, like 99.9 percent of all sports fans in general. I admit I reacted in this manner after the play but after watching the replay I will cut him some slack. While I think he surely could have made a better effort to get out of the way it was just one of those things that happens. However I still think that the first half was one of the most poorly officiated I have seen in awhile.

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 5th, 2015, 10:05 am

coolag wrote:
918AGG wrote:

Or in other words, like 99.9 percent of all sports fans in general. I admit I reacted in this manner after the play but after watching the replay I will cut him some slack. While I think he surely could have made a better effort to get out of the way it was just one of those things that happens. However I still think that the first half was one of the most poorly officiated I have seen in awhile.
Yes, I booed the hell out of the targeting call. The targeting call has gone completely out of control, IMO.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

- Bertrand Russell

coolag

Post by coolag » October 5th, 2015, 10:51 am

I think I was even more upset at the roughing the passer call on Vigil.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » October 5th, 2015, 11:29 am

918AGG wrote:

So its not okay to show dissatisfaction towards a referee who obviously screwed up and could have affected the outcome of the game? Sorry, I disagree, that clown made zero effort to get out of the way and then stopped right in front of our player? I mean I know some of these guys are obviously blind, but WTF?? Don't pretend like these refs are being payed $20 to officiate my little girls soccer game.

And then comparing our fans to BYU fans for booing him? Seriously? I didn't see anyone throwing caffeine free coke bottles at him, did you ?

918AGG

Post by 918AGG » October 5th, 2015, 12:54 pm

Agzrule wrote:
918AGG wrote:

So its not okay to show dissatisfaction towards a referee who obviously screwed up and could have affected the outcome of the game? Sorry, I disagree, that clown made zero effort to get out of the way and then stopped right in front of our player? I mean I know some of these guys are obviously blind, but WTF?? Don't pretend like these refs are being payed $20 to officiate my little girls soccer game.

And then comparing our fans to BYU fans for booing him? Seriously? I didn't see anyone throwing caffeine free coke bottles at him, did you ?
In a post, in this thread mind you, I stated that I showed my dissatisfaction with a ref who screwed up and potentially affected the outcome of the game. Clearly, if you bother to read what I write, I'm comfortable with booing refs when they screw up. Here's the difference between what happened with that ref, and what I usually boo at:

1) The ref had virtually no time for deliberation. Based on how well he can judge the speed and trajectory of multiple variables, he may have had 2-3 seconds to make a choice - at best.
2) The ref didn't actually make a call. He didn't throw a flag. He didn't throw anybody about of the game. He made a judgment call, that's it.
3) Arguably, not moving is the most conservative act that the ref could take at that point in time. The ref was in his spot first, he is a part of the field, and his job requires the observation of other parts of the field as well. Sorry, the ref owes nobody an apology.
4) The ref obviously regretted (shirked to the sideline judge immediately after the play, and shook his head after the collision) his decision to stand in place, which is a completely rational choice given 1, 2, and 3 above.
5) The ref got run into by an athlete, probably at the height of his athletic peak, in full pads, running at full speed. I tend to believe that the collision was unintentional.

Zoob fans demonstrate plenty of deplorable qualities. Throwing crap at the end of a game (which we have been guilty of too, mind you.. must I quote the immortal Stew Morrill?...) is merely one of them. The thing that I despise most about Zoob-dom is the tendency to boo every DAMN thing that is called against them. Every missed catch is pass interference. Every questionable hit near the sidelines is a late hit. I'm merely stating that judgment calls (non-football calls) are a nuanced matter. When a person making the judgment call is under a tight timeline, with virtually no time to deliberate, perhaps we should consider the nuances, refrain from booing, chalk it up to unfortunate circumstances, and MOVE THE HELL ON.

- Bertrand Russell

Locked Previous topicNext topic