Open letter to Josh Heupel

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 28th, 2015, 5:09 pm

Hey numbskull, ever heard of a screen pass or a QB rollout to try to offset the pass rush? Duh, duh, duh... :headscratch:

Machismo

Re: Open letter to Josh Heupel

Post by Machismo » November 28th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I kept waiting for the option call after it had been ran twice, once for Chuckies TD and a big gain on the other. It ever came again, they hadn't stopped it the two times it was called, I wonder why it was never called again :headscratch:

"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » November 28th, 2015, 5:33 pm

Heupel is a disaster.

We run an inside run on every 2nd and 10. He's the reason we are in third and long so much.

AGNUMPI

Post by AGNUMPI » November 28th, 2015, 5:37 pm

This wasn't Heupel's worst game. The first half was called really well. Second half not so much. Tons of drops by the receivers, though, didn't help. One of the most frustrating games ever.

"Be there. Get crazy. Go Aggies!" - Matt 'Fafner' Sonnenberg

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 28th, 2015, 5:38 pm

I still blame the O line for most of this.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 28th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Those of you saying this is the worst game to watch weren't at the new Mexico or San Diego state games... I was and it was atrocious. I went into this game thinking nothing would surprise me and this didn't either. Matt has some tough decisions to make.

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » November 28th, 2015, 5:58 pm

Are we sure it's Heupel? The offense looks the same this year as it has in 2013 and 2014?

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

AggieAddict

Post by AggieAddict » November 28th, 2015, 6:02 pm

As bad as the offense has been the D has also taken a huge step back this year. Orlando did a great job covering up for our Offense last year. This year the D have been very Average. Below average offense with a average defense is why we are here.

Chupamedia

Post by Chupamedia » November 28th, 2015, 6:14 pm

I thought this was the best called game this year. There were a lot of drops and mistakes. But we converted more first downs than I can remember in any previous game. Our offense sputtered and died any time we pass mid field. I agree we have a lot of problems to fix, but I thought this game was called well enough to win. The other problems were more detrimental IMO

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 28th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Too many drops, too little blocking, not much of a pass rush.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

aggieguy13

Post by aggieguy13 » November 28th, 2015, 6:32 pm

Play calling was 100x better than it was at New Mexico. Still wasn't good enough to overcome all our mistakes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 28th, 2015, 6:37 pm

aggieguy13 wrote:Play calling was 100x better than it was at New Mexico. Still wasn't good enough to overcome all our mistakes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
We had five consecutive drives spanning the end of the first half/beginning of the second half where we gained a grand total of 18 yards. At the critical juncture where the game was decided, the offense puckered up and crawled into a shell.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 28th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I think Matt Wells micro manages the offense, he has worked with multiple OCs and the offense is basically the same. Also what is the deal with his brother? It seems the lines of communication/authority are fuzzy and the results are bad.

Not sure what the solution is, but some big changes in organization and personnel are needed.

I don't thing the team is emotionally invested like the teams have been since the Hawaii game turnaround/comeback "miracle". I don't know how to fix that, but I do think it needs to be fixed.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

tkmad
Has thanked: 0

Post by tkmad » November 28th, 2015, 8:19 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:Hey numbskull, ever heard of a screen pass or a QB rollout to try to offset the pass rush? Duh, duh, duh... :headscratch:
We are now a fan base saying we don't throw ENOUGH screens......I mean........

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » November 28th, 2015, 11:37 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:Hey numbskull, ever heard of a screen pass or a QB rollout to try to offset the pass rush? Duh, duh, duh... :headscratch:
FloridaAggie13 - have you ever coached at the NCAA D1 FBS level? Just curious.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

trevordude

Post by trevordude » November 29th, 2015, 9:36 am

Heupel was a cause of some bad things, and some good things. He'll get another year, more I hope if he learns. Utah State coaching lives on picking up up and coming assistants that hopefully work out.

Not sent from Tapatalk

NibleyAg
Been thanked: 0

Post by NibleyAg » November 29th, 2015, 11:08 am

Machismo wrote:I kept waiting for the option call after it had been ran twice, once for Chuckies TD and a big gain on the other. It ever came again, they hadn't stopped it the two times it was called, I wonder why it was never called again :headscratch:
That is what had me confused as well. Seems like we kept trying the things that didn't work, run up the middle, but avoided the things that did work (option). I don't know how you can expect to win if you don't run the plays that work. I would think you would keep doing these things until they stop you.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 29th, 2015, 7:49 pm

ViAggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 - have you ever coached at the NCAA D1 FBS level? Just curious.
Nope. Just channeling the thoughts of former NFL safety Adam Archuletta who mentioned it more than once during the game as screens and rollouts are typical counters to an aggressive pass rush. Perhaps you can join his twitter feed and ask him if he's coached at the NCAA D1 FBS level.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 29th, 2015, 9:16 pm

NibleyAg wrote:
Machismo wrote:I kept waiting for the option call after it had been ran twice, once for Chuckies TD and a big gain on the other. It ever came again, they hadn't stopped it the two times it was called, I wonder why it was never called again :headscratch:
That is what had me confused as well. Seems like we kept trying the things that didn't work, run up the middle, but avoided the things that did work (option). I don't know how you can expect to win if you don't run the plays that work. I would think you would keep doing these things until they stop you.
100% agree, the option worked well against their scheme and was the perfect wrinkle to throw in from time to time. Unfortunately we only ran it twice!!!
Our offense is it's own worst enemy. We make things more complicated than they need to be, we out think ourselves, lack an identity, and our formations give away the playcall time and time again. And do we ever call an audible?!

Machismo

Post by Machismo » November 30th, 2015, 9:20 am

My perception is that Matt is convinced the O Scheme is good, the players just aren't executing. Well if they cannot execute this thing for the last 3 Seasons don't ya think something needs to change? It will be the same old stuff next Season, Everyone in conference has us figured out!!! We lose some talent next Season namely Sharp, who is our playmakers? Something needs to be done differently and I'm afraid it won't happen. All the other Teams in our division are getting better and it seems Air Force and New Mexico have passed us up. CSU is right in there as well. Why oh why do we keep doing things that aren't working?

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 30th, 2015, 11:27 am

Machismo wrote:My perception is that Matt is convinced the O Scheme is good, the players just aren't executing. Well if they cannot execute this thing for the last 3 Seasons don't ya think something needs to change? It will be the same old stuff next Season, Everyone in conference has us figured out!!! We lose some talent next Season namely Sharp, who is our playmakers? Something needs to be done differently and I'm afraid it won't happen. All the other Teams in our division are getting better and it seems Air Force and New Mexico have passed us up. CSU is right in there as well. Why oh why do we keep doing things that aren't working?
Obviously the scheme is not producing sustained drives or manageable 3rd downs but is it the scheme or the O-line. Until that problem is addressed no scheme is going to produce.

I guarantee you the number of receiver sweeps the Aggies run is strictly Huepel and Wells acknowledgment that we can't go up and consistently pound the ball on anyone or even set up manageable 3rd downs. We are looking for big plays ala Natson.

We have 2 good RBs and 3 if you throw in Vigil. One who is NFL caliber. This team has one of the most talented receivers in the Country and the supporting cast is pretty good too but we have an O-line and blocking scheme causing our QB to be running for his life on pass downs and a power running game that didn't have about 10 TFLs Saturday only because of the RBs efforts and talents.

This team as I stated before outgained BYU by a 100 yards and had at least 6-7 possessions where at one point they were within BYUs 40 and came away with no points and in fact set up a TD for BYU with the block FG on one.

Yeah our DBs failed to beat their men and blew a coverage too many times and Keeton missed a couple throws and had some drops but this loss is on the O-line. We don't miss 3 Fgs if they do their job because we have 3 TDs instead. We don't punt 3 times in our own half of the field because we're scoring TDs or attempting FGS instead if they do their jobs.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 30th, 2015, 12:42 pm

Good stuff guys. Where is our offense ranked overall this year?

Machismo

Post by Machismo » November 30th, 2015, 1:16 pm

Elkaggie wrote:Good stuff guys. Where is our offense ranked overall this year?
It looks like we are 91 in total offense this season.http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... stat/total. That first series the play calling looked great! They seemed to have some rythm , it looked like the turds were on their heels. Then Chuckie made a great pitch fake on the option play and scored. We seen that play once more and then that was it. The shovel pass caught them real good too, I remember seeing that just once. The drops really hurt too but Chuckie was under pressure damn near every time he was going to throw. They did have good coverage, It was frustrating our guys had a hard time getting open. Was it just good DB's or had our scheme been figured out? Seems like we have tells that tip of what we are going to do. I even call some plays just based on watching the Team all Season and the formation we were lining up in. If I can do that then we are definetly easy to scout. I don't know, that's why I'm not a coach. It's just frustrating to see things work and then not see it called again.

Blue Sage

Post by Blue Sage » November 30th, 2015, 1:29 pm

Here is my Open Letter.

Josh thanks so much for coming to U-State. Please ignore the above comments.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 30th, 2015, 1:48 pm

Machismo wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:Good stuff guys. Where is our offense ranked overall this year?
It looks like we are 91 in total offense this season.http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... stat/total. That first series the play calling looked great! They seemed to have some rythm , it looked like the turds were on their heels. Then Chuckie made a great pitch fake on the option play and scored. We seen that play once more and then that was it. The shovel pass caught them real good too, I remember seeing that just once. The drops really hurt too but Chuckie was under pressure damn near every time he was going to throw. They did have good coverage, It was frustrating our guys had a hard time getting open. Was it just good DB's or had our scheme been figured out? Seems like we have tells that tip of what we are going to do. I even call some plays just based on watching the Team all Season and the formation we were lining up in. If I can do that then we are definetly easy to scout. I don't know, that's why I'm not a coach. It's just frustrating to see things work and then not see it called again.
Thanks. 91st is just flat out unacceptable.

I remember 3 times we ran the shovel and it worked every single time. We ran it against the Utes, Nevada and BYU. After we ran it against the Utes I was hoping we would run it again. Didn't happen until Nevada. Hey but we keep running the read option every first or second down or the fly sweep that never works but let's keep running it and not run the ones that work (option/shovel/ wheel route/seem route/tunnel screen etc.).

AgMan21

Post by AgMan21 » November 30th, 2015, 2:59 pm

Blue Sage wrote:Here is my Open Letter.

Josh thanks so much for coming to U-State. Please ignore the above comments.
I don't know if it was your intention, and if not then take this with a grain of salt, but I don't like this attitude towards sports. Like he is doing us a favor condescending to come to Utah State. I think we should expect excellence from every coach that comes here. That means Coach Wells as well. If he doesn't live up to expectations, if he doesn't improve every year (and I think there's an argument that the team did not improve this year) then they should be critiqued by fans and expecially by those that hired them. And if they don't fix the problems, they should be shown the door. Regardless of how big a name they are.

Now I'm not saying this is true of Heupel or Wells, although I do think Wells should be put on notice that his seat is getting warm, I just don't like the feeling that USU is "lucky" to have a certain coach. Utah State is a great opportunity and we should expect to get the best.

Full

Post by Full » November 30th, 2015, 5:35 pm

Machismo wrote: It looks like we are 91 in total offense this season.http://espn.go.com/college-football/sta ... stat/total. That first series the play calling looked great! They seemed to have some rythm , it looked like the turds were on their heels. Then Chuckie made a great pitch fake on the option play and scored. We seen that play once more and then that was it. The shovel pass caught them real good too, I remember seeing that just once. The drops really hurt too but Chuckie was under pressure damn near every time he was going to throw. They did have good coverage, It was frustrating our guys had a hard time getting open. Was it just good DB's or had our scheme been figured out? Seems like we have tells that tip of[f] what we are going to do. I even call some plays just based on watching the Team all Season and the formation we were lining up in. If I can do that then we are definetly easy to scout. I don't know, that's why I'm not a coach. It's just frustrating to see things work and then not see it called again.
I've seen a few times the opposing defense knew what play was going to be run. One play that stuck out to me is when we had three wides spit to one side and the nickel back ran right at the HB without giving a thought to the WR he was leaving wide open.

Stucki

Post by Stucki » November 30th, 2015, 7:06 pm

Our defense does the same thing to other offenses. That is why players study film.

That is also why some plays are called to set up big play opportunities that break tendencies.

Hail the Utah Aggies!

Locked Previous topicNext topic