Matt Wells is turning the program around..

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Aggies For Life
Troll
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Matt Wells is turning the program around..

Post by Aggies For Life » November 29th, 2015, 12:52 am

In the wrong direction.

2007 - 2-10 (2–6 WAC) - Brent Guy
2008 - 3–9 (3–5 WAC) - Brent Guy
2009 - 4–8 (3–5 WAC) - Gary Anderson
2010 - 4–8 (2–6 WAC) - Gary Anderson
2011 - 7–6 (5–2 WAC) - Gary Anderson
2012 - 11–2 (6–0 WAC) - Gary Anderson
2013 - 9–5 (7–1 MWC) - Matt Wells
2014 - 10–4 (6–2 MWC) - Matt Wells
2015 - 6-6 (5-3 MWC) - Matt Wells

Our Conference record has steadily gotten worse, it will be 4-4 next year if the trend continues. I don't believe the 2012 year was a fluke season for GA. He took one of the worst programs in the nation, and led them to a #16 post season national ranking. MW did alright his first two years, but it took GA two years to turn the program around, now I'm worried MW has had his two years to turn the program around. I hope we don't have a losing season next year.

This is my signature.

Aggies For Life
Troll

Re: Matt Wells is turning the program around..

Post by Aggies For Life » December 29th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Update,
2015 - 6-7 - Matt Wells

It took two years for Gary Anderson to turn this program into a winning program, after countless years of garbage. Now, it took Matt Wells two years to turn this program into a losing program again.

This is my signature.

sambonethegreat

Post by sambonethegreat » December 29th, 2015, 1:07 pm

One bad season doesn't mean he's turned the program back into a loser.

I'm gonna wait till next season pans out before I hit the panic button. I may not have to.

Sent from my iPhone using my willpower

IdaAg93

Post by IdaAg93 » December 29th, 2015, 1:12 pm

I believe more than anything, there's more parity in the conference than most of us realize. Because of the increased level of competition, it changes our outlook and expectations for this team. BSU gets beat by UNM and AFA. So let's lighten up and push forward with positive attitudes for this team and fan base. Big picture, folks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » December 29th, 2015, 1:17 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:I believe more than anything, there's more parity in the conference than most of us realize. Because of the increased level of competition, it changes our outlook and expectations for this team. BSU gets beat by UNM and AFA. So let's lighten up and push forward with positive attitudes for this team and fan base. Big picture, folks!!

After having some time to cool down and reflect, this +1000.

The combination of an improved UNM and AFA and playing the tougher half of the west division instead of UNLV and Hawaii gave us an extra loss (SDSU), a coin flip game (Nevada), and probably took away two or three wins (we win against Hawaii, UNLV, and/or SJSU had we played).

We really benefited the two prior years from playing the weak part of the west and getting AFA and UNM while they were down. I really don't think this year was that far off from the last few from a competitive standpoint.

I still think Weber sucks though and should get canned. We've had severe OL problems, and consequently, a really bad offense since 2012.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » December 29th, 2015, 1:20 pm

IdaAg93 wrote:I believe more than anything, there's more parity in the conference than most of us realize. Because of the increased level of competition, it changes our outlook and expectations for this team. BSU gets beat by UNM and AFA. So let's lighten up and push forward with positive attitudes for this team and fan base. Big picture, folks!!

Parity. Does anyone really believe that other in Boise anyone was close to us talent wise in our division. We lost to NM because of a series of gaffes on offense, a muffed punt and blown coverage. It should have been 41-0. They never got inside our 40 except on the muff and the secondary mix-up.

AFA converted 3 third and longs to the same receiver to beat us do to boneheaded coverage calls and we still had a chance to beat them on the road.

SDSU kicked our hinies but no one else in that division even held a candle to the Aggies talents. Considering this team played well enough to put themselves in position for an upset in SLC and gifted BYU 30 points in our only home loss, I'm not buying the parity thing. The MW was bad last year aside from SDSU and we stooped to their level.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » December 29th, 2015, 2:02 pm

hickaggie wrote: Parity. Does anyone really believe that other in Boise anyone was close to us talent wise in our division. We lost to NM because of a series of gaffes on offense, a muffed punt and blown coverage. It should have been 41-0. They never got inside our 40 except on the muff and the secondary mix-up.

AFA converted 3 third and longs to the same receiver to beat us do to boneheaded coverage calls and we still had a chance to beat them on the road.

SDSU kicked our hinies but no one else in that division even held a candle to the Aggies talents. Considering this team played well enough to put themselves in position for an upset in SLC and gifted BYU 30 points in our only home loss, I'm not buying the parity thing. The MW was bad last year aside from SDSU and we stooped to their level.
Talent is an elusive thing. Everyone thinks this team is super talented. Prove it.
To me, talent is proven by results and draft picks. The results weren't great and IMO (and we'll see for sure), we have maybe two draft picks on this team's starters. We're not as talented as we think.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » December 29th, 2015, 3:31 pm

I think the player defection, auto accident, player dismissal, and losses to injuries all added up to USU being very shorthanded. I think that mostly explains the difficulty this team had.

However, I agree there were really poor choices in terms of called plays, and more importantly it really did not seem like this set of players wanted to win like the previous two or three year's players did. The Nevada comeback is a counterpoint to that last claim though, it suggests that the team really did want to win but simply did not have the ability to do so most of the time.

Next year will be the proof, if we win at least eight games then I'll believe this year's poor result (a losing season) was due to the factors mentioned at the beginning of the post, if we win less than eight than I think the problem goes significantly deeper. Right now I don't think we have enough evidence to know what the real problem is.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » December 29th, 2015, 9:22 pm

Hail Aggies!

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » December 30th, 2015, 1:40 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:In the wrong direction.

Our Conference record has steadily gotten worse, it will be 4-4 next year if the trend continues. I don't believe the 2012 year was a fluke season for GA. He took one of the worst programs in the nation, and led them to a #16 post season national ranking. MW did alright his first two years, but it took GA two years to turn the program around, now I'm worried MW has had his two years to turn the program around. I hope we don't have a losing season next year.
If we are basing it on "trends" then GA simply continued what Brent Guy started and there was no reason to fire Guy. We are in a more competitive conference and lost - at minimum - three games where we outplayed the other team everywhere but on the scoreboard. Every team needs to learn how to win, such as 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. This one didn't do it. One year isn't a "trend".

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » December 30th, 2015, 3:26 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:

If we are basing it on "trends" then GA simply continued what Brent Guy started and there was no reason to fire Guy. We are in a more competitive conference and lost - at minimum - three games where we outplayed the other team everywhere but on the scoreboard. Every team needs to learn how to win, such as 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014. This one didn't do it. One year isn't a "trend".
Continued what Brent Guy started? Do you know what your talking about?

Here's the whole Brent Guy story
2005 - 3–8 (2-6 in WAC)
2006 - 1-11 (1-7 WAC)
2007 - 2-10 (2-6 WAC)
2008 - 3-9 (3-5 WAC)

Nothing changed. His first year he went 3-8, the next two years were worse, and his final year he went 3-9. Virtually the same as his first year. Are you trying to say the USU program turnaround started with Guy? Your argument makes no sense.

This is my signature.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 30th, 2015, 4:04 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:

So glad you pointed this out FloridaAggie. I had a longer version of this same point typed out last night and fell asleep before posting it. Ha!

After two seasons GA had accomplished little more than Guy had done and half way through the 3rd season things didn't look much better. Andersens health was in decline over the whole thing and it wasn't until a group of players decided to step up and play together as a team to accomplish something they had not done that things changed. Guy takes a lot of crap around here but there were signs even in his last year that the team was more competitive and he brought in talented pieces that we had not seen in Logan for quite some time. He wasn't a good in-game coach and didn't seem to understand how to best use the talent he had but he took some giant whacks at the obstacle that was standing in the way of the program turning around.

After two years under Wells we had 19 wins, including the second winningest season in school history, all while stepping up in conference and enduring an unreal string of injuries at nearly every skill position. Yes, the third season was disappointing but only because we actually had expectations for once. Like Florida pointed out, this team didn't do what was necessary to be a winner and that's what it comes down to. GA said it time and again....players make plays and players win games. Ours did not this year. Period.

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » December 30th, 2015, 4:44 pm

Aglicious wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

So glad you pointed this out FloridaAggie. I had a longer version of this same point typed out last night and fell asleep before posting it. Ha!

After two seasons GA had accomplished little more than Guy had done and half way through the 3rd season things didn't look much better. Andersens health was in decline over the whole thing and it wasn't until a group of players decided to step up and play together as a team to accomplish something they had not done that things changed. Guy takes a lot of crap around here but there were signs even in his last year that the team was more competitive and he brought in talented pieces that we had not seen in Logan for quite some time. He wasn't a good in-game coach and didn't seem to understand how to best use the talent he had but he took some giant whacks at the obstacle that was standing in the way of the program turning around.

After two years under Wells we had 19 wins, including the second winningest season in school history, all while stepping up in conference and enduring an unreal string of injuries at nearly every skill position. Yes, the third season was disappointing but only because we actually had expectations for once. Like Florida pointed out, this team didn't do what was necessary to be a winner and that's what it comes down to. GA said it time and again....players make plays and players win games. Ours did not this year. Period.
You simply don't understand. GA inherited a terrible program and turned it into a good one (after two years). MW inherited a good program and turned it into a losing program (after two years).

This is my signature.

pablohoney

Post by pablohoney » December 30th, 2015, 4:47 pm

I'm afraid if this trend continues that we'll be -1 and 9 in conference play should we keep Matt Wells beyond 2020.

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » December 30th, 2015, 4:51 pm

ag4fr wrote:I am not sure if we have another coach in our history with a better record after 3 years than Matt.

If we stink again next year, Hartwell will do something.

If we got rid of Wells now, we would look rather silly. JMHO.
Agreed. I don't think we should get rid of him either (seeing how long his contract goes till). Let's see what he does in the future, I just don't have the highest expectations.

This is my signature.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » December 30th, 2015, 4:52 pm

But would you agree, numbers probably don't tell the entire story? Or do you think MW is a better coach than Gary?

I think any reasonable person can see MW stepped into a great position, left by Gary, which is why his winning percentage is probably a little inflated. Its anybody's guess from here on out what happens. This last season might have been the beginning of a trend and it might have been simply an aberration.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » December 30th, 2015, 5:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
But would you agree, numbers probably don't tell the entire story? Or do you think MW is a better coach than Gary?

I think any reasonable person can see MW stepped into a great position, left by Gary, which is why his winning percentage is probably a little inflated. Its anybody's guess from here on out what happens. This last season might have been the beginning of a trend and it might have been simply an aberration.
While I think Matt Wells did step into a great position, the things I hear people claiming MW can't do wouldn't necessarily carry over year to year.

I've heard he hasn't been a great in game coach/doesn't coach up and prepare his team. That isn't a year-to-year type of thing as much as it is a week to week type of deal.

People have claimed that he's not good at personnel decisions, and yet, he brought in Orlando, who is pretty well recognized as being a very good defensive coordinator. The last round of new coordinators may not have been as great of hires, or there may have been other factors.

He does not seem to be as dynamic of a leader as Gary Andersen, and I think his interaction with the fans/media is not at the same level.

The only areas that I can think would carry year to year is recruiting, and player development. I haven't heard as many complaints about MW performance in these areas. Am I missing something?

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » December 30th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Let's not forget that Gary was not a good in game coach during his first few years.

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » December 30th, 2015, 5:48 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:Let's not forget that Gary was not a good in game coach during his first few years.

Gary wasn't even that good of an in-game coach his last few years either. The onside kick at Auburn, putting Eric Moats back against CSU to drop the punt, the 96 yard 2 minute drive against BYU, even giving up a 13-3 halftime lead and 41-17 lead in two of the games we were able to win his last year.

Rabidchild

Post by Rabidchild » December 30th, 2015, 5:54 pm

sambonethegreat wrote:One bad season doesn't mean he's turned the program back into a loser.

I'm gonna wait till next season pans out before I hit the panic button. I may not have to.

Sent from my iPhone using my willpower
Well, we did have a losing season...that is a fact. So he did turn the program into a "loser" if you define that by having more losses than wins this year.

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » December 30th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Aggies For Life wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:

You simply don't understand. GA inherited a terrible program and turned it into a good one (after two years). MW inherited a good program and turned it into a losing program (after two years).
Yes, clearly I don't understand even though I just explained the exact situation and state of affairs. Clearly you and your 4th or 5th (I lose count anymore) account are here to set the record straight and enlighten us all. :roll: No one is saying Wells is better than Andersen but there's not enough info yet to say Wells is turning the program into a losing one. One season's result is hardly representative of the overall state of a program and it's interesting that you so quickly discount a 9 and 10 win season under the same head coach to focus on a 6 win season because it fits your narrative.

NibleyAg

Post by NibleyAg » December 30th, 2015, 11:49 pm

Seems to me people give the head coach too much credit. Probably because of the salary. In my opinion the greatest asset of a coach is his ability to recruit. Take basketball, for example. Many teams sporting freshman have been absolutely awesome (fab 4), Duke last year, etc. Their ability to win national championships cannot be credited to coaching, since they have only been on campus a limited amount of time & not "developed". I think this is where Gary was exceptional, he was a good salesman. Not too sure about Matt yet, but the 3rd year is usually where you start to see what kind of salesman we have as a coach.

Personally, I would take good kids with lots of desire and a chip over good athlete with a "me" attitude. I believe this is what caused our downward trend this year.

For the record, I like Wells and think he can succeed. I think he has the charisma to do the job and will continue to support him and the program.

Detroit-Aggie

Post by Detroit-Aggie » January 1st, 2016, 11:58 pm

A single 6-7 season doesn't make it a "losing" program.

A 6-7 season followed by another 6-7 season or a 5-7 season may make it a losing program, but in our case this 6-7 season may just as realistically be followed by a 7-6 or 8-5 season at which point 2015 was a rough year, but the program is still doing all right. Yeah, this year was poor and I hope not to see many more like it, but they're going to happen. Relax, take a breath, look forward to 2016.

The catastrophic line of reasoning that we're now suddenly a long-term "losing program" again is absurd when you consider that we just played in our 5th straight bowl game.

Aggies For Life
Troll

Post by Aggies For Life » January 2nd, 2016, 1:20 am

Geo-Aggie wrote:A single 6-7 season doesn't make it a "losing" program.

A 6-7 season followed by another 6-7 season or a 5-7 season may make it a losing program, but in our case this 6-7 season may just as realistically be followed by a 7-6 or 8-5 season at which point 2015 was a rough year, but the program is still doing all right. Yeah, this year was poor and I hope not to see many more like it, but they're going to happen. Relax, take a breath, look forward to 2016.

The catastrophic line of reasoning that we're now suddenly a long-term "losing program" again is absurd when you consider that we just played in our 5th straight bowl game.
You're right. But it is a losing season. We lost more games than we won this year. And you are absolutley right, only time will tell. I hope we can look back at this season as a low point, but sadly I think it could just as easily become the norm. How about this, I'll ressurect this thread at the end of next season and I hope I'm wrong about Wells turning the program around. My biggest beef about wells is how he treats the players (long story short I know one of the players very, very well) . If that improves, I will like Wells. If that doesn't improve, we can expect to have a lot of losing seasons during his tenure.

This is my signature.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » January 2nd, 2016, 9:55 am

Utah had back to back 5-7 seasons. Were they a losing program?

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

troutputz
RIP

Post by troutputz » January 2nd, 2016, 2:42 pm

Some of you guys forget who we played in 2012 when it Was Gary's last year coaching USU. The wins from an 11-2 team are not that impressive considering who the wins were against. I count 3 good wins that year. Beating Utah at home 27-20. Beating a pretty good San Jose state team that year, and beating a pretty good LA Tech team in Overtime! Plus I guess we add Toledo as a decent team, however this years Toledo team would have beaten us in 2012!

Beating a poor SUU team that year, Beating a very poor UNLV team Beating a poor CSU team, a Poor New Mexico State team, a very poor UT-San Antonio team, a very poor Texas State Team, and a very poor Idaho team..... So I just don't see why this year of 2012 was all that great considering that the wins came against poor teams? Matt Wells wins in his first 3 years are wins against much better teams! Matt's first year in 2013 was a very great season when you look at the blow-out wins against the conference mates. Yes, Boise and Fresno we lost but, we beat a very good Northern Illinois team in San Diego. The jury has to be still ??????ing Matt. If he has 2 more years of mediocre win loss record then yes we need to look elsewhere again. But if Matt wins 8 or 9 wins again in the next two years why would we get rid of him?

I personally feel Matt is actually a better game time coach than Gary. Gary has proven nothing to me yet! Didn't at Wisconsin and this years Oregon State team was a fiasco. He should have had at least 4 wins there!

I feel Gary is a great recruiter and players love him because of his personality. Its just too bad that we couldn't have had Gary and Matt being the coaches together at USU...I think 10 win seasons would have been very regular!

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » January 2nd, 2016, 10:11 pm

It will be interesting to see what Matt can do next year. That will define him much more than this year alone.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 4th, 2016, 9:27 am

Aggies For Life wrote:

You're right. But it is a losing season. We lost more games than we won this year. And you are absolutley right, only time will tell. I hope we can look back at this season as a low point, but sadly I think it could just as easily become the norm. How about this, I'll ressurect this thread at the end of next season and I hope I'm wrong about Wells turning the program around. My biggest beef about wells is how he treats the players (long story short I know one of the players very, very well) . If that improves, I will like Wells. If that doesn't improve, we can expect to have a lot of losing seasons during his tenure.
This is awesome. Between you and BLUE and a few others, it sounds like we have some great inside information from real live college football players. Can you get us some autographs? I guarantee every locker room in the country has a faction of players who can't stand the coaching staff. Players feel like they were promised something and it wasn't fulfilled, they think the coach treats them unfairly, they think they should be starting over another player...it happens everywhere. We had no leadership from within the team - perhaps this is due to too many players telling Wells to "Eff off" to his face (as one or two posters claiming to be insiders have relayed) rather than manning up to their responsibilities. Sounds like we have some pretty immature and childish players on the team.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 4th, 2016, 9:31 am

And probably every player who is anywhere other than first on the depth chart, as an upperclassmen, is going to accuse the coach of playing favorites

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 4th, 2016, 9:50 am

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:

This is awesome. Between you and BLUE and a few others, it sounds like we have some great inside information from real live college football players. Can you get us some autographs? I guarantee every locker room in the country has a faction of players who can't stand the coaching staff. Players feel like they were promised something and it wasn't fulfilled, they think the coach treats them unfairly, they think they should be starting over another player...it happens everywhere. We had no leadership from within the team - perhaps this is due to too many players telling Wells to "Eff off" to his face (as one or two posters claiming to be insiders have relayed) rather than manning up to their responsibilities. Sounds like we have some pretty immature and childish players on the team.
Aggies for Life is a troll but otherwise you're spot on IMO. That said Wells problems run deeper going forward in that aspects far beyond QB continuity have held the offense back. He's been bailed out by the Defense until this year that wasn't as stellar down the stretch with only one stud noseguard instead of 3 and a third coordinator in 4 years.

This year will prove his mettle with a full staff replacement and 2 QBs with 2 years in his system. You have been of the opinion in the past that experienced continuity at QB would solve this teams offensive woes. I don't think anything is getting solved until the O-line gets it together. It will be an interesting year and Well's mettle will be tested. Was 2015 a fluke. I hope so but Wells has to hit a home run in many areas this year if the aggies turnaround and his career is to remain on track.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 4th, 2016, 10:13 am

hickaggie wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Aggies For Life wrote:

Aggies for Life is a troll but otherwise you're spot on IMO. That said Wells problems run deeper going forward in that aspects far beyond QB continuity have held the offense back. He's been bailed out by the Defense until this year that wasn't as stellar down the stretch with only one stud noseguard instead of 3 and a third coordinator in 4 years.

This year will prove his mettle with a full staff replacement and 2 QBs with 2 years in his system. You have been of the opinion in the past that experienced continuity at QB would solve this teams offensive woes. I don't think anything is getting solved until the O-line gets it together. It will be an interesting year and Well's mettle will be tested. Was 2015 a fluke. I hope so but Wells has to hit a home run in many areas this year if the aggies turnaround and his career is to remain on track.
Pretty much in agreement with you here. Yes, I believe injuries at QB have been the most critical issue in holding back the offense. I do see the OLine as critical issue 1A however - the running game is too inconsistent and the QB's often don't have time to throw due to the line problems.

Coaches leaving, coming, going, etc., is frustrating but it's part of the game. Look at almost any coaches resume and you'll see a decade of bouncing around as a position coach until they get the gig as a coordinator. Maybe Wells has a personality problem, but in the end it wouldn't matter because good coordinators like Orlando or Aranda were never going to stay regardless and position coaches will leave for the same job 2,000 miles away if it pays a little more money.

I thought Wells did a very good job of coaching in 2013 and 2014 with the injuries at QB and being able to hold the team together and win a bowl game...this year it just never seemed to click. This happens everywhere. Every team, every coach at some point has these types of years. It comes down to how he reacts and the team performs in 2016.

diehardaggiefan

Post by diehardaggiefan » January 11th, 2016, 4:06 pm

Well we averaged 10 wins a season for the 3 years before this one. I would love to win 10 games a year as much as the next guy, but falling short of that doesn't mean the sky is falling. Sorry, but winning 10 games in college football is extremely difficult to do. Those type of seasons are not going to happen every year.

Logan, Utah; the site of the 2014 MW Championship game.

Tr0ll

Post by Tr0ll » January 11th, 2016, 4:49 pm

diehardaggiefan wrote:Well we averaged 10 wins a season for the 3 years before this one. I would love to win 10 games a year as much as the next guy, but falling short of that doesn't mean the sky is falling. Sorry, but winning 10 games in college football is extremely difficult to do. Those type of seasons are not going to happen every year.
How difficult is it to have more losing games than winning games in college football?

TheAggie

Post by TheAggie » January 11th, 2016, 4:58 pm

There is a big difference between Gary and Wells. When Gary talked, it was like he was talking to each player individually. When Matt talks, it's like he is talking to everyone collectively and half of them tune him out.
Last edited by TheAggie on January 11th, 2016, 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 11th, 2016, 5:08 pm

TheAggie wrote:There is a big difference between Gary and Wells. When Gary talked, it was like he was talking to each play individually. When Matt talks, it's like he is talking to everyone collectively and half of them tune him out.
I'm sorry, was this to me or everyone? I couldn't tell and tuned it out.

Locked Previous topicNext topic