read this in standard examiner

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
mike1126
Has thanked: 0

read this in standard examiner

Post by mike1126 » January 22nd, 2016, 7:16 pm

brownjeans
Flatulent

Re: read this in standard examiner

Post by brownjeans » January 22nd, 2016, 7:28 pm

I guess we'll see if we lost out.

NavyBlueAggie

Post by NavyBlueAggie » January 22nd, 2016, 8:11 pm

Lots of things happen with coaching staff changes and we are still short coaches at this time. We already have two Freshmen (Smith a red shirt Freshman) in the wings so we can't feel too wounded. Looks like a good young player though and I wish him well. Seems Weber State is coming back to life.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 22nd, 2016, 8:37 pm

I think it's a mistake by Matt Wells to not complete his staff and have everybody out recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » January 22nd, 2016, 9:44 pm

There is a limit to how much you can do in any given time frame. Matt has been working his tail off recruiting.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 22nd, 2016, 10:16 pm

Tough to tell. This kid hasn't picked any other offers. Nevada and USU dropped him.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Smokin Joe

Post by Smokin Joe » January 22nd, 2016, 11:00 pm

I think he fell through the cracks when Heupel left. He runs 4.6 and threw for a lot of scores. I wish we had him. But Jordan Love is a 3 star too, just not early as fast.

Sr. Tubastank

Post by Sr. Tubastank » January 23rd, 2016, 12:39 am

With Jordan Love enrolling early and with the other QBs that are already in the system, we would only be taking one QB this class. I don't see an issue here at all. I am very happy with Love. Only so many scholarships to go around.

@Call_It_Ustate

40Aggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by 40Aggie » January 23rd, 2016, 2:40 pm

I'm not real high on Love, he looks slow on tape and is a one read type of guy. I think Smith has the most upside. His first instinct isn't to just run, but he is a very capable runner. His high school stats were amazing, and watch his tape, he's a gamer. If he develops like his brother did at WYO, we'll have ourselves a heck of a QB.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 23rd, 2016, 3:55 pm

40Aggie wrote:I'm not real high on Love, he looks slow on tape and is a one read type of guy. I think Smith has the most upside. His first instinct isn't to just run, but he is a very capable runner. His high school stats were amazing, and watch his tape, he's a gamer. If he develops like his brother did at WYO, we'll have ourselves a heck of a QB.
My thoughts exactly. Never really been the least bit excited about Love. Very hopeful for Smith.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » January 23rd, 2016, 4:03 pm

These situations occur every year at this time all around the country. I don't think there is anything to read into it such as we dropped the ball in recruiting. Good luck to the kid, hope he does well.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 23rd, 2016, 5:13 pm

Kill me now if we had followed up and recruited that kid. Not impressed at all after watching the video. A poor man's version of Chuckie with worse mechanics. Not sure how he is rated a three star. Matt by the way...is over the top busy recruiting kids that matter.

TheAKAggie
DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING I SAY

Post by TheAKAggie » January 23rd, 2016, 5:26 pm

We already have a 2016 QB, doubt we were recruiting that hard.

Hail Aggies!

treesap32

Post by treesap32 » January 30th, 2016, 2:33 pm

40Aggie wrote:I'm not real high on Love, he looks slow on tape and is a one read type of guy. I think Smith has the most upside. His first instinct isn't to just run, but he is a very capable runner. His high school stats were amazing, and watch his tape, he's a gamer. If he develops like his brother did at WYO, we'll have ourselves a heck of a QB.
I agree. Haven't been impressed with love at all. Hopefully he proves me wrong. I'm excited to see what Smith can do.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 30th, 2016, 4:47 pm

treesap32 wrote:
I agree. Haven't been impressed with love at all. Hopefully he proves me wrong. I'm excited to see what Smith can do.

Count me in this camp as well. To me Love looks like one of the more obvious recruits we over extended ourselves on. In an effort to be the first one in on a great thing we may have pulled the trigger a bit too early on this one. The things that scare me the most about him are that his numbers didn't improve from his Junior year to Senior year and neither one of those years were numbers that were eye popping or worthy of looks from teams at the MWC level. I thought perhaps he played on a bad team or didn't have options at WR so I watched 3 of his games online this season and listened to the radio feed on another he was less than impressive every time. He got really hurt in one of the games I watched when he got walloped at the 1 yard line trying to run it in. I can see how his body type and style is a bit like CK's in HS but his overall game is not that polished. By comparison, KM's HS tape and numbers are in a another stratosphere - not to mention his proven play at the D1 level. Maybe Love will prove us all wrong and step it up at this level but right now I tend to feel like he won't see 4 full years here. Let's hope we all refer back to this statement with the same fondness as QAA's statement on KW's speed. :lol:

I too am hopeful that Smith will be the next to step forward, he is strong with the ball in both the run and pass and is more athletic than he appears.

jme

Post by jme » January 30th, 2016, 4:51 pm

dyedblue wrote:Tough to tell. This kid hasn't picked any other offers. Nevada and USU dropped him.
And Hawaii didn't offer him, either.

That said, I hope he wins a lot of games at Weber State - but not his first one.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 31st, 2016, 1:46 pm

Meh, he seems pretty good, but like someone else pointed out, he's not Chuckie Keeton. I think there is a good reason we held off on an offer to this kid... we'll have to wait and see.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

berryblonde

Post by berryblonde » February 1st, 2016, 10:09 am

treesap32 wrote:

I heard they are moving Smith to a defensive position, he won't be listed as a QB anymore.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » February 1st, 2016, 10:58 am

berryblonde wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

I heard they are moving Smith to a defensive position, he won't be listed as a QB anymore.
This actually makes a ton of sense. Assuming the coaching staff hasn't see anything that would indicate he'll earn the starting spot ahead of Myers or Hobbs right now, he's still at least 3 seasons away from seeing the field. He's a heck of a competitor and athlete, so we need to get him on the field.

cval

Post by cval » February 1st, 2016, 10:59 am

berryblonde wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Posting a statement like this with no source is like begging to be attacked :nono:

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 1st, 2016, 11:15 am

berryblonde wrote:
treesap32 wrote:

Wowie, that would put us pretty thin at QB after next season when Hobbs is gone.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » February 1st, 2016, 1:11 pm

I think Smith's the best horse in the stable. Granted I'm basing most of that off his brother's play at Wyo.

ineptimusprime

Post by ineptimusprime » February 1st, 2016, 1:16 pm

Sorry, but Miller looks a lot better than Love on film; kid is fast and looks like a "gamer". I think this is a whiff. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Locked Previous topicNext topic