We are out of the running for Levani Damuni

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

We are out of the running for Levani Damuni

Post by Roy McAvoy » April 12th, 2016, 12:06 pm

He named his top 3. BYU, Utah, UVA.

Texasaggie1
Has thanked: 0

Re: We are out of the running for Levani Damuni

Post by Texasaggie1 » April 12th, 2016, 12:33 pm

I always thought players went to BYU in spite of Bronco instead of because of him. UVA has a really nice campus, but the thought of having to spend 4 years with Rosco and Anae makes me cringe. :puke:

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 12th, 2016, 1:19 pm

Embarrassing .....

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 12th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Was it embarrassing when Peyton Manning went to Tennessee?

Two of those schools are BCS, we're not. That matters, regardless of how much we don't want it to. And byu...they're just weird and some weirdos want to go there. It will happen more and more now that Sitake is the coach and not Bronco. I don't like it, and we have moved up the totem pole, but are still a relatively distant third in the state of Utah. :puke: Very disappointing, yes, but not embarrassing.

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

UtesAggs>BYU

Post by UtesAggs>BYU » April 12th, 2016, 1:40 pm

I told you guys this a month ago...but I'm just the "resident Ute zoob"

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40686&p=433260#p433260

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 12th, 2016, 2:12 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:Was it embarrassing when Peyton Manning went to Tennessee?

Two of those schools are BCS, we're not. That matters, regardless of how much we don't want it to. And byu...they're just weird and some weirdos want to go there. It will happen more and more now that Sitake is the coach and not Bronco. I don't like it, and we have moved up the totem pole, but are still a relatively distant third in the state of Utah. :puke: Very disappointing, yes, but not embarrassing.
Archie wasn't a current coach on the staff that was recruiting him to Ole Miss, but i imagine it was a little embarrassing for them either way.

We can argue about what adjective fits best but anyway you look at this, it's not a good look. Dad played at USU, grows up in Cache Valley, Dad currently coaches at USU and he'd rather go to byu. This is a big kick to the nuts.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 12th, 2016, 2:31 pm

Uhhggg...giant kick to the crotch and something that will have lasting effects beyond just this single decision.

How many other potential recruits look to this decision and follow suit or assume something stinks in Logan when we can't even hang on to our own? How many times will this be used as an example when negatively recruiting against USU? Perhaps the worst though is that this is especially bad for us among the Poly community. It reinforces the notion that we are not a viable option.

providencealum

Post by providencealum » April 12th, 2016, 2:41 pm

I agree it sucks to lose out on a recruit like Levani, but none of us know what has played into his decision to determine his top 3. I do think going forward it is going to be hard to beat BYU in the Poloy game as long as Sitake is the head coach.

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » April 12th, 2016, 3:19 pm

I'm as bummed as anyone to miss out on a kid with this sort of talent. But to say that it's "embarrassing" or anything along those lines is kind of rediculous in my opinion. I love USU with all my heart, and I'm a 4th generation Aggie who never misses a game. But if I were a high school kid who felt like I had any potential of getting good enough to play at a professional level, it would be pretty hard to commit to USU over a Pac 12 or ACC school.

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » April 12th, 2016, 3:22 pm

A top 3 on a Rivals article doesn't mean Utah State is out of it.
They may not get him to sign but what 4 star guy will they sign?

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » April 12th, 2016, 3:23 pm

UtesAggs>BYU wrote:I told you guys this a month ago...but I'm just the "resident Ute zoob"

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=40686&p=433260#p433260
It's just a little condescending seeming for a Ute fan to come on a USU site and tell us we have no shot at a certain kid, even if it is reality. Just picture it from an Aggie fan's perspective.
Last edited by Madmartigan on April 12th, 2016, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » April 12th, 2016, 3:23 pm

It is embarrassing! But it is no surprise if you follow his dad's Facebook. He seems like more of a cougar than an Aggie and was hoping for a spot on Kalani's staff. I don't know how he can call himself an Aggie.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

providencealum

Post by providencealum » April 12th, 2016, 3:37 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:It is embarrassing! But it is no surprise if you follow his dad's Facebook. He seems like more of a cougar than an Aggie and was hoping for a spot on Kalani's staff. I don't know how he can call himself an Aggie.

:headscratch: Waqa is an Aggie through and through. Not sure what you are seeing.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 12th, 2016, 3:55 pm

aggieman2828 wrote:It is embarrassing! But it is no surprise if you follow his dad's Facebook. He seems like more of a cougar than an Aggie and was hoping for a spot on Kalani's staff. I don't know how he can call himself an Aggie.

After reading back at some of Levani's quotes after receiving an offer from BYU, I don't think USU is the place for him. Take for instance this one from this article:
And, of course, Levani Damuni was excited to learn he had finally received a scholarship offer from BYU.

“Yeah, it’s way exciting to me and I’ve been looking forward to it for a while now,” said Damuni. “I just really like BYU a lot. It’s every LDS kid’s dream to go there.”
:disappointed: It's every LDS kid's dream? :puke: This is hardly how my children think. You know, kids raised in a real Aggie home? If his dad is a true Aggie, this has got to rip him up inside. How could you not want the best for the program you profess to be loyal to?

BearLakeMonster

Post by BearLakeMonster » April 12th, 2016, 4:02 pm

providencealum wrote:

:headscratch: Waqa is an Aggie through and through. Not sure what you are seeing.
I have a mutual friend with Jack Damuni, so I see lots of Jack's stuff on Facebook. He's mentioned coming up to visit family in Logan quite a bit recently.

"The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity... Just knowing we're in the same genus makes me embarrassed to call myself homo!"

GUS

Post by GUS » April 12th, 2016, 4:02 pm

I think Utah and UVA are pretty much out of the running also. The kid wants to go to byu. As MW says we can with him, but we can also win without him. Hope he changes his mind while on a mission and wants to be closer to family.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 12th, 2016, 4:04 pm

bleu wrote:I'm as bummed as anyone to miss out on a kid with this sort of talent. But to say that it's "embarrassing" or anything along those lines is kind of rediculous in my opinion. I love USU with all my heart, and I'm a 4th generation Aggie who never misses a game. But if I were a high school kid who felt like I had any potential of getting good enough to play at a professional level, it would be pretty hard to commit to USU over a Pac 12 or ACC school.
And yet, USU is behind byu, a non-P5 school.

Ask Wagner, Turbin, Vigil and Fackrell about getting into the NFL from USU.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » April 12th, 2016, 4:17 pm

the team has got to win more games, particularly against BYU, before we are going to have a chance at guys like this. It is a very nasty chicken and egg issue - i.e., to win those games we need some of these guys, but to get them we've got to win those games.

I think we are in a very tiny window right now, we've had success, we've massively upgraded facilities, and things are looking good overall - BUT - we've got to consistently win at least nine games (preferably more) in order to really compete for the guys we need. The upcoming season is a very critical one.

I don't view this as embarrassing, but I do view it as a "canary in the coal mine" type of moment.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Aggieforlife

Post by Aggieforlife » April 12th, 2016, 4:20 pm

JSHarvey wrote:the team has got to win more games, particularly against BYU, before we are going to have a chance at guys like this. It is a very nasty chicken and egg issue - i.e., to win those games we need some of these guys, but to get them we've got to win those games.

I think we are in a very tiny window right now, we've had success, we've massively upgraded facilities, and things are looking good overall - BUT - we've got to consistently win at least nine games (preferably more) in order to really compete for the guys we need. The upcoming season is a very critical one.

I don't view this as embarrassing, but I do view it as a "canary in the coal mine" type of moment.

This!^^^

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » April 12th, 2016, 4:49 pm

UVA is by far his best option (if academics are important). Better for football terms is often subjective.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » April 12th, 2016, 5:14 pm

You sir, do not know Waqa at all.... He WAS offered a spot on Kalani's staff this offseason and turned it down to stay at USU.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 12th, 2016, 6:02 pm

I'm all for parents letting their kids make their own decisions.

LKGates

Post by LKGates » April 12th, 2016, 6:09 pm

JSHarvey wrote:the team has got to win more games, particularly against BYU, before we are going to have a chance at guys like this. It is a very nasty chicken and egg issue - i.e., to win those games we need some of these guys, but to get them we've got to win those games.

Well put.

We treat the LDS football player to BYU scenario as if it is black and white, but it isn't. Do a little thought experiment. Let's say BYU has a terrible run going forward as an independent. Let's say they have progressively worse records, ending with a string of losing seasons. They don't get a P5 offer. The MWC decides to not take them back. They're going 4-8 pretty consistently, and losing to USU 2 out of 3 years, with a close win in Provo here and there. They lose their ESPN contract, and appear on television maybe twice a year, when they're playing a P5 or Boise State. In that situation, how many 4 star LDS kids will want to go there? Heck, how many 3 star kids will want to go there? Will some kids still want to go there because "it's the LORD's school"? Possibly. But it isn't black and white, yes and no. If we start beating them more consistently, we get better, and they get worse, we WILL pick up more of these kids.

And yes, I acknowledge that the above scenario isn't highly likely, but who remembers the Crowton era? They were almost there when Crowton was finally canned. Bronco saved their miserable hides. Who's to say they won't be there again?

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

aggieman2828

Post by aggieman2828 » April 12th, 2016, 6:10 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:

You sir, do not know Waqa at all.... He WAS offered a spot on Kalani's staff this offseason and turned it down to stay at USU.
No I don't know him just what I see on twitter and Facebook. Just seems to have a lot of love for the cougars that no "true Aggie" would. And if he was an Aggie through and through there is no way the Y would be in his sons top 3.

3rdGenAggie
Pick'em Champ - '16 Kickoff

Post by 3rdGenAggie » April 12th, 2016, 6:36 pm

At the end of the day, did we really expect anything different from a kid from Mountain Crest? :pirate:

"I have no idea what I'm doing, but I know I'm doing it really, really well." -Andy Dwyer

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » April 12th, 2016, 7:05 pm

NVAggie wrote:I'm all for parents letting their kids make their own decisions.
I am too. They also know there are consequences associated with their decisions. :devil:

bleu

Post by bleu » April 12th, 2016, 7:12 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:At the end of the day, did we really expect anything different from a kid from Mountain Crest? Imageirate:
Don't tell this to Cam Webb, Gaje Ferguson, Alex Huerta, or Tyler Weese...

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » April 12th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Aglicious wrote:
I am too. They also know there are consequences associated with their decisions. :devil:
Absolutely

My kids know I won't cheer for their team if they play a sport at BYU.

TrutotheBlu

Post by TrutotheBlu » April 12th, 2016, 9:05 pm

3rdGenAggie wrote:At the end of the day, did we really expect anything different from a kid from Mountain Crest? :pirate:
How about supplying a list of players Sky View and Logan that turned down offers from ybu to play for USU. I haven't been able to think of one including the one whose name is on the field house.

bleu

Post by bleu » April 12th, 2016, 9:45 pm

As a Mountain Crest alum, I get a bit tired with the "MC hates USU and sends all their players to BYU" narrative. It's really pretty inaccurate and overplayed.

SeattleAg

Post by SeattleAg » April 12th, 2016, 9:50 pm

NVAggie wrote:
Aglicious wrote:
Absolutely

My kids know I won't cheer for their team if they play a sport at BYU.
The kids both know they are allowed to go to BYU and Oregon, but won't see a single penny of dad's money if they do.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » April 12th, 2016, 9:57 pm

bleu wrote:
3rdGenAggie wrote:At the end of the day, did we really expect anything different from a kid from Mountain Crest? Imageirate:
Don't tell this to Cam Webb, Gaje Ferguson, Alex Huerta, or Tyler Weese...
Did any of them have offers to byu?

Servo

Post by Servo » April 12th, 2016, 10:40 pm

JSHarvey wrote:the team has got to win more games, particularly against BYU, before we are going to have a chance at guys like this.
The team HAS been winning more games. FIVE bowl appearances in a row.

2011 7-6
2012 11-2 Best year EVER for the team
2013 9-5
2014 10-4
2015 6-7 Yes, this past year was down from the previous few, but then again, Air Force and New Mexico, schools that have traditionally been very tough had been experiencing down years and now appear to have recovered from their temporary slump. Also, the teams in the West division changed from bottom feeders San Jose, UNLV and Hawaii to San Diego, Fresno and Nevada, yet USU was 2-1 against those teams. And yes, Fresno has fallen apart the last couple years but they're still better than two of the three USU didn't face this year.

Even if USU beats BYU and wins the conference title every year for the next 10 years, AND gets invited to the Pac 12 or Big 12, the zoo will still be "da lawrd's skule" in the minds of many. For LDS zealots, byu will always have that edge in recruiting.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

BigBlueDart
Pick'em Champ - '17 FB Predict the Score

Post by BigBlueDart » April 13th, 2016, 6:46 am

I generally agree with your post, Servo, but I maintain that Fresno was the worst team in the MWC last year.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » April 13th, 2016, 8:03 am

bleu wrote:As a Mountain Crest alum, I get a bit tired with the "MC hates USU and sends all their players to BYU" narrative. It's really pretty inaccurate and overplayed.
As another Mountain Crest alum, I have to say there definitely is a bias when a kid has an offer to both schools. I'm really hoping the coaching change out there helps USU.

Locked Previous topicNext topic