Torrey Green accused of serial rape on campus

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
rAggie

Post by rAggie » August 4th, 2016, 9:53 am

TMZ: http://www.tmz.com/2016/08/04/atl-falco ... e-suspect/
Sporting News: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/news/to ... mbcm7dczk8
SLTrib Story detailing accusations: http://www.sltrib.com/home/4045111-155/ ... sed-a-utah
IMGUR Post from May 1:
IMGUR Post from 10 days ago naming Torrey Green:

Not much to say here.

It is sad and devastating that this happened at USU and I pray for the victims.

It is additionally sad that a young man would risk and ruin a chance at an NFL career with these actions.

It is compoundingly sad that this is a bad look for a brotherhood who is trying hard to build something special on the field.

I have not much more to say, but the evidence here is pretty damning.

Showing my True Colors since 2022

paaron46

Re: Torrey Green accused of serial rape on campus

Post by paaron46 » August 4th, 2016, 10:05 am

Sickening.

Pissed off I actually rooted for that guy. You're right Tyler, the evidence is damning and follows what we've sadly come to expect in these cases. Victim blaming, police incompetence, willful ignorance, etc. This mirrors what the book "Missoula" covers in great detail. Just awful. People should be fired.

Twitter: @AaronPeck

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 4th, 2016, 10:24 am

Great, I was hoping for no distractions leading up to the season. If it was my Daughters I'd want a good House cleaning on campus, that includes Coaches as well, they had to know. It could have been stopped when the 1st report was made, instead certain people decided to try and sweep this under the rug. I feel for the victims and their Families and am Embarrassed for this program!!

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » August 4th, 2016, 10:27 am

Disgusted at Torrey, extremely disappointed and angry at the school, administration and police in not following everything up and allowing this to go on and hurt more people and make this a stain on the universities reputation. Absolutely disgusting.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

LKGates

Post by LKGates » August 4th, 2016, 10:34 am

No excuses. Heads need to roll. I hope this goes to trial, and if he's found guilty, I hope he spends a very long time sitting on a cot in a concrete box thinking of what could have been.

Freelance adventurer and international man of mystery.

Psych
Has thanked: 0

Post by Psych » August 4th, 2016, 10:42 am

Somehow knew it. When the initial story broke about the 4 victims and the shady processes I knew the male wasn't likely to be in a fraternity (local paper would have likely whistle blown that like they have, rightfully so, the last few tragic cases). Figured it had to be an athlete.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 4th, 2016, 10:42 am

Assuming this is true (and it looks like it probably is), Torrey Green needs to spend a long time in prison. Shame on the police, administration, and football staff that handled this inappropriately. I really hope the football coaching staff didn't know about this and try to sweep it under the rug. Unfortunately, I don't see how they could not have known.

Look at Baylor. Isn't this the same thing they are wading through (I can't express myself without swearing) soup about? This could be a huge blow to the reputation of the university and the athletics department. Rape culture on college campuses can't be tolerated. There should be zero tolerance in this situation for anyone involved, all the way to the top.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mr. Sneelock on August 4th, 2016, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

rAggie

Post by rAggie » August 4th, 2016, 10:44 am

I don't know for certain that the coaching staff knew.

Just yesterday Matt Wells tweeted out good luck to TG in training camp. Say what you want about Matt Wells but he's not someone who harbors criminals who no longer play for him.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 4th, 2016, 10:45 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:Assuming this is true (and it looks like it probably is), Torrey Green needs to spend a long time in prison. Shame on the police, administration, and football staff that handled tgus inappropriately. I really hope the football coaching staff didn't know about this and try to sweep it under the rug. Look at Baylor. This could be a huge blow to the university and the athletics department. Rape culture on college campuses can't be tolerated. There should be zero tolerance in this situation.

Exactly my thoughts!

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 4th, 2016, 10:46 am

rAggie wrote:I don't know for certain that the coaching staff knew.

Just yesterday Matt Wells tweeted out good luck to TG in training camp. Say what you want about Matt Wells but he's not someone who harbors criminals who no longer play for him.
Tyshon Mosley and JoJo Natson are good examples

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 4th, 2016, 10:46 am

rAggie wrote:I don't know for certain that the coaching staff knew.

Tyshon Mosley and JoJo Natson are good examples

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » August 4th, 2016, 10:46 am

As always... a lot of judging going on here without knowing what the facts really are (I don't know them either). Calling for jobs without even knowing who or what was reported.... let it play out before you ask that someone gets fired over this.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 4th, 2016, 10:47 am

But didn't the victims report the rapes to the school? You mean to tell me that several women separately reported that they were raped by a football player and the University didn't alert the coaching staff?

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Gretsch

Post by Gretsch » August 4th, 2016, 10:51 am

Mr. Sneelock wrote:But didn't the victims report the rapes to the school? You mean to tell me that several women separately reported that they were raped by a football player and the University didn't alert the coaching staff?

From what it sounded like in the Tribe article a while back, the girls reported it to the school and they did about as little as physically possible.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

rAggie

Post by rAggie » August 4th, 2016, 10:51 am

I've spent a lot of time reading about this case, discussing it with people around the community and at the school...

If I were the all mighty and could mete out justice based on what I know at this point, I'd be hard pressed to indict anyone at the school specifically. There are absolutely processes that need to change and they're already reviewing those, but I don't know that of the Title XI and SAAVI people that knew at USU, anyone should fry over this.

I do think the detective who investigated the case should be put on administrative leave pending further investigation. But even then, folks are mad at him for not combining the evidence of several cases and saying he has a slam dunk. He is by law obligated to investigate each case on its own merits, and then forward to the prosecutor's office who can then take the investigation and proceed.

Also, I know the county attorney's office has re-opened the investigation.

It is probably best we all wait until the final outcome before we express outrage at anything other than the crime.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » August 4th, 2016, 10:53 am

Gretsch wrote:
Mr. Sneelock wrote:But didn't the victims report the rapes to the school? You mean to tell me that several women separately reported that they were raped by a football player and the University didn't alert the coaching staff?

From what it sounded like in the Tribe article a while back, the girls reported it to the school and they did about as little as physically possible.
Well, obviously you can't punish the coaching staff if they legitimately didn't know, but someone needs to be held accountable for allowing a serial rapist to represent the University in the highest profile sport on campus.

Formerly TulsAGGIE

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » August 4th, 2016, 10:58 am

Machismo wrote:Great, I was hoping for no distractions leading up to the season. If it was my Daughters I'd want a good House cleaning on campus, that includes Coaches as well, they had to know. It could have been stopped when the 1st report was made, instead certain people decided to try and sweep this under the rug. I feel for the victims and their Families and am Embarrassed for this program!!
None of the articles or reports state that the coaching staff were ever notified of anything. That's not to say they weren't, but if they were notified that there was an allegation against one of their players but there are no pending charges what are they supposed to do? Suspend him on rumors and hearsay? The coaches need grounds to take action and it doesn't sound like they were given any in this case due to those people in law enforcement making the decisions.

This whole ordeal falls squarely on the shoulders of Mr. Green and what would appear to be an incompetent detective and/or his superior officers trying to help him "stay clean".

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » August 4th, 2016, 11:10 am

One thing I wonder in cases like this is what other teammates knew. I think it's likely that even if coaches were unaware, some of the other players knew something. All this talk about recruiting stand-up guys with good character, makes me wonder why no one would step up and do the right, albeit difficult, thing.

Psych
Has thanked: 0

Post by Psych » August 4th, 2016, 11:10 am

rAggie wrote:I've spent a lot of time reading about this case, discussing it with people around the community and at the school...

If I were the all mighty and could mete out justice based on what I know at this point, I'd be hard pressed to indict anyone at the school specifically. There are absolutely processes that need to change and they're already reviewing those, but I don't know that of the Title XI and SAAVI people that knew at USU, anyone should fry over this.

I do think the detective who investigated the case should be put on administrative leave pending further investigation. But even then, folks are mad at him for not combining the evidence of several cases and saying he has a slam dunk. He is by law obligated to investigate each case on its own merits, and then forward to the prosecutor's office who can then take the investigation and proceed.

Also, I know the county attorney's office has re-opened the investigation.

It is probably best we all wait until the final outcome before we express outrage at anything other than the crime.
Agreed. Depending on what the victims choose to do the school's hands are often tied to their decision. My true issue lies with the detective/officer who worked the case. Based on some of the reports it seems like he had a bias that impacted his investigation into the cases.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » August 4th, 2016, 11:14 am

I just read about this myself.

I am on the boat of let's not jump to conclusions, but I hope the University administration does a thorough review of the facts specific to this case, as well as all the processes and policies. If any University employee's are found to have "swept things under the rug" or violated policies, I hope they are terminated, regardless of their position. I also think that the University needs to make sure updates and findings are communicated regularly, so that it doesn't appear they are disregarding the allegations.

I also hope local law enforcement reviews their procedures.

Overall, I think this is a devastating situation all around and I hope that the victims can find healing, and we can prevent this type of stuff from occurring in the future.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » August 4th, 2016, 11:25 am

I actually told you guys about this on here last year and some got pretty upset with me. I personally have been told stories by countless girls (literally, I'd guess maybe 6 have mentioned him to me). When the stuff came out recently about some guy raping girls at usu and his "career", I knew it was Torrey. Sad that he's throwing his life away, more sad that all those girls (I'd guess 30+) had to go through that.

Edit: just to clarify.... None of the girls I talked to were ACTUALLY raped. They were more so just talking about Torrey and explaining how "creepy" he was. Hard to explain it over text but there was 100% boundaries crossed. While I've never heard a story of actual rape about Torrey, I've heard from at least 6 girls stories that don't seem okay to me. Whether or not he raped anyone, I really don't know. Rape is a very very tough subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » August 4th, 2016, 11:43 am

When multiple victims say the same thing, jumping to conclusions is acceptable- especially with rape. Some of the conclusions are completely fair, because of known facts. For example It's James Morales' job to take care of student's well beings. It's his job to make sure that allegations of rape by students are thoroughly investigated. He failed to do his most basic duty required under Title IX, therefore it is reasonable to think he should be fired (he very well could be a candidate to replace Albrecht- it's going to be a cluster if he does even if this story didn't exist). It doesn't matter if he didn't know, because it is his job to know. I think the same can be said about Officer Olsen (if not double).

Naked Bull Rider

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 4th, 2016, 11:53 am

Sad to see this narrative becoming so commonplace around the country. Universities can't afford to mishandle these situations.

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » August 4th, 2016, 12:01 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:I actually told you guys about this on here last year and some got pretty upset with me. I personally have been told stories by countless girls (literally, I'd guess maybe 6 have mentioned him to me). When the stuff came out recently about some guy raping girls at usu and his "career", I knew it was Torrey. Sad that he's throwing his life away, more sad that all those girls (I'd guess 30+) had to go through that.

Edit: just to clarify.... None of the girls I talked to were ACTUALLY raped. They were more so just talking about Torrey and explaining how "creepy" he was. Hard to explain it over text but there was 100% boundaries crossed. While I've never heard a story of actual rape about Torrey, I've heard from at least 6 girls stories that don't seem okay to me. Whether or not he raped anyone, I really don't know. Rape is a very very tough subject

Do you believe that Matt Wells was aware of this whole situation?

tjensen_25

Post by tjensen_25 » August 4th, 2016, 12:11 pm

Having played pickup ball with Torrey and his cousin a handful of times, this doesn't surprise me at all.

His cousin is more than a piece of work as well and had his own fairly highly publicized arrest in logan.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » August 4th, 2016, 12:17 pm

bleu wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:I actually told you guys about this on here last year and some got pretty upset with me. I personally have been told stories by countless girls (literally, I'd guess maybe 6 have mentioned him to me). When the stuff came out recently about some guy raping girls at usu and his "career", I knew it was Torrey. Sad that he's throwing his life away, more sad that all those girls (I'd guess 30+) had to go through that.

I 100% guarantee (I know I really can't) that Matt Wells had been told about Torrey Green and his issues with girls. The problem is there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the belief that Torrey actually raped anyone. What he did and how he treated girls at USU is truly terrible. But he technically, as far as I know, didn't do anything illegal. From everything I've ever heard (which is a lot), he often wouldn't take no for an answer. But when girls have talked about it to me, they don't make it sound like rape. Just like he was a bad guy that wouldn't give it a rest.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 4th, 2016, 12:21 pm

I worked as a student defender where I defended students at school discipline hearings. a lot were sexual assault cases. the coaches would likely not have known if the school didn't pursue the charges because the rapist still has privacy rights. I don't know why the school wouldn't pursue these charges though. The U of O would come down hard on any allegations and suspend students immediately based on nothing more than a report filed by the victim.

Green should be shaking in his boots right now; I won't be surprised if he gets picked up.

QuackAttackAggie
Pick'em Champ - '12, '22 Bowl; '15, '17 Weekly; '18 BB Predict the Score; '22 Kickoff

Post by QuackAttackAggie » August 4th, 2016, 12:22 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
bleu wrote:

I 100% guarantee (I know I really can't) that Matt Wells had been told about Torrey Green and his issues with girls. The problem is there is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support the belief that Torrey actually raped anyone. What he did and how he treated girls at USU is truly terrible. But he technically, as far as I know, didn't do anything illegal. From everything I've ever heard (which is a lot), he often wouldn't take no for an answer. But when girls have talked about it to me, they don't make it sound like rape. Just like he was a bad guy that wouldn't give it a rest.

the difference between being a rapist and a bad guy make a difference for criminal charges for sure. But I doubt they'd prevent student charges after 4 times. and they certainly shouldn't prevent team discipline of women keep feeling victimized by him.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 4th, 2016, 12:33 pm

The prosecutor is the one that has me mystified (as well as the University's Title IX Office). I'll wait for all the details to come out before forming rock solid opinions on who's at fault (besides Green), but I'm guessing prison and no career are the most likely outcomes.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » August 4th, 2016, 12:33 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
bleu wrote:

I don't want to minimize this situation or anything, and I honestly don't know much at all about it so please correct me if I'm wrong. But is there a chance that this is being blown a little bit of of proportion?

BLUERUFiO

Post by BLUERUFiO » August 4th, 2016, 12:34 pm

GO AGGIES! GO AGGIES! HEY! HEY! HEY!

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » August 4th, 2016, 12:44 pm

I guess at this point we have to wait to see if the prosecutor will file charges against him, and what the results of the University's review will be.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Machismo

Post by Machismo » August 4th, 2016, 12:49 pm

I for one am getting tired of reading about Players being suspended for Team Rules violations and issues with the law from this situation to theft and illegal Drugs.These guys get free education while other Students bust their butts trying to make something of themselves and they see this. I had a co worker ask me where USU Football does its recruiting, the juvinile detention centers throughout the Country? It's getting too common up there and people are beginning to form a real bad perception of USU Football.
Last edited by Machismo on August 4th, 2016, 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo

Post by jimbo » August 4th, 2016, 12:51 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:But he technically, as far as I know, didn't do anything illegal.
Rape is illegal.
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:he often wouldn't take no for an answer.
This is rape.
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:But when girls have talked about it to me, they don't make it sound like rape. Just like he was a bad guy that wouldn't give it a rest.
This is because of rape culture.

This whole thing pisses me off, and multiple people involved directly or indirectly in the situation should be held accountable.

Zaggie07

Post by Zaggie07 » August 4th, 2016, 12:58 pm

jimbo wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:But he technically, as far as I know, didn't do anything illegal.
Rape is illegal.
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:he often wouldn't take no for an answer.
This is rape.
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:But when girls have talked about it to me, they don't make it sound like rape. Just like he was a bad guy that wouldn't give it a rest.
This is because of rape culture.

This whole thing pisses me off, and multiple people involved directly or indirectly in the situation should be held accountable.
^All of this.

Locked Previous topicNext topic