the question you all are dying to ask

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
User avatar
sammyhagar
Posts: 389
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:15 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 25 times

the question you all are dying to ask

Post by sammyhagar » August 9th, 2016, 10:45 am

did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:
Inquiring minds need to know... :scotsman:
it is never too early to start complaining about something. :lol:


I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags



User avatar
Maverik_Aggie
Posts: 1161
Joined: April 3rd, 2016, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 10:50 am

sammyhagar wrote:did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:
Inquiring minds need to know... :scotsman:
it is never too early to start complaining about something. :lol:


I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags
I hope they did! And I also hope we do away with Al Lewis. Not sure how much longer I can handle his screeching voice. :bangwall:



User avatar
aggiefan444
Posts: 679
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by aggiefan444 » August 9th, 2016, 10:54 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:
Inquiring minds need to know... :scotsman:
it is never too early to start complaining about something. :lol:


I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags
I hope they did! And I also hope we do away with Al Lewis. Not sure how much longer I can handle his screeching voice. :bangwall:
Cant stand listening to Al interview any coach. He ask a question, then cuts them off to answer his own question like hes smarter than they are. Surprised coach Wells hasn't said something to Al about it. Its really annoying.



AggieVoice
Posts: 851
Joined: July 9th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by AggieVoice » August 9th, 2016, 10:54 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:
Inquiring minds need to know... :scotsman:
it is never too early to start complaining about something. :lol:


I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags
I hope they did! And I also hope we do away with Al Lewis. Not sure how much longer I can handle his screeching voice. :bangwall:
He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.



User avatar
aggiefan444
Posts: 679
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by aggiefan444 » August 9th, 2016, 10:59 am

AggieVoice wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:
sammyhagar wrote:did they replace that joker of a stadium announcer from last year? :bangwall:
Inquiring minds need to know... :scotsman:
it is never too early to start complaining about something. :lol:


I am concerned about depth on the lines, but let's get this party started.....go ags
I hope they did! And I also hope we do away with Al Lewis. Not sure how much longer I can handle his screeching voice. :bangwall:
He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
+1000



User avatar
sammyhagar
Posts: 389
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:15 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by sammyhagar » August 9th, 2016, 11:14 am

I like to hear Al call the game ( usually) but his interviewing skills post game are horrible.......
Just hearing his voice gets my Blue blood flowing rapidly, even on radio commercials. He is the voice of aggie sports.
I don't mind it when he gets out of control during a game and his voices rises and the hot dog goes off the mustard....
But he is clueless on post game interview skills.



User avatar
Maverik_Aggie
Posts: 1161
Joined: April 3rd, 2016, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 11:38 am

It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2016, 11:42 am

Maverick_Aggie wrote:It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.
As I understand it, Al owns the radio station that broadcasts Aggie games. Unlikely he fires himself. As for our PA announcer: Any PA announcer that consistently mixes up Hunter Sharp with Kent Myers should not be calling our games. Actually caring about the Aggie football team should be a prereq for the job.



User avatar
Maverik_Aggie
Posts: 1161
Joined: April 3rd, 2016, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 11:47 am

Madmartigan wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.
As I understand it, Al owns the radio station that broadcasts Aggie games. Unlikely he fires himself. As for our PA announcer: Any PA announcer that consistently mixes up Hunter Sharp with Kent Myers should not be calling our games. Actually caring about the Aggie football team should be a prereq for the job.
Well that sucks! He owns it? :wtf: He would mix up Robinson and sharp all the time too. Embarrassing! :bangwall:



User avatar
brownjeans
Flatulent
Posts: 13777
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 10:21 am
Has thanked: 182 times
Been thanked: 436 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by brownjeans » August 9th, 2016, 11:51 am

AggieVoice wrote: I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Riley Jensen in football. He's done color in football games before and was great.



Machismo
Posts: 3346
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:10 pm
Location: Providence ,Utah
Has thanked: 278 times
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Machismo » August 9th, 2016, 12:05 pm

brownjeans wrote:
AggieVoice wrote: I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Riley Jensen in football. He's done color in football games before and was great.
I whole hardheartedly agree with this. Al is annoying at times but there is just something about his voice and the Aggies. It wouldn't be the same being at the Stadium listening to the pregame without The Big Silk. I do agree he cuts people off in interviews, that comment is spot on.


"It's not a lie if you believe it" George Costanza

Chatman
Posts: 1089
Joined: November 30th, 2010, 11:04 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 65 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Chatman » August 9th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Fligger will be taking over again as stadium announcer. I have on good account.



MacAggie
Posts: 279
Joined: January 9th, 2014, 3:54 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by MacAggie » August 9th, 2016, 12:24 pm

I like Al's voice. It is Aggie football for me. I do wish he would give a better accounting of the play while it is happening though. Sometimes I have no idea what is going on haha.



User avatar
Aglicious
Site Admin
Posts: 5190
Joined: January 14th, 2004, 12:00 am
Location: Vega$
Has thanked: 145 times
Been thanked: 297 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Aglicious » August 9th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Chatman wrote:Fligger will be taking over again as stadium announcer. I have on good account.
Our poor Polynesians.



User avatar
hipsterdoofus21
Posts: 15391
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 9:39 pm
Has thanked: 241 times
Been thanked: 663 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » August 9th, 2016, 12:40 pm

brownjeans wrote:
AggieVoice wrote: I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Riley Jensen in football. He's done color in football games before and was great.
Just the thought of having Riley and Spencer doing color commentating for football and bball games gives me a semi.



User avatar
breadysmith
Posts: 790
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 9:35 am
Location: Lindon, UT
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 28 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by breadysmith » August 9th, 2016, 2:02 pm

Not sure Riley would be able to...I think he'd be awesome...but given that he's coaching at Alta High he might be available for some of the games but given how many Friday night games and then he would be unavailable to travel given his HS coaching commitments. Not to cold spoon the semi hipster.


"I'm much more comfortable criticizing people behind their backs." George Costanza

User avatar
providencealum
Posts: 400
Joined: November 20th, 2010, 11:16 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by providencealum » August 9th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Maverick_Aggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:
Maverick_Aggie wrote:It's time for a new era. Therefore, we need a new voice for Aggie sports. Simple as that.
As I understand it, Al owns the radio station that broadcasts Aggie games. Unlikely he fires himself. As for our PA announcer: Any PA announcer that consistently mixes up Hunter Sharp with Kent Myers should not be calling our games. Actually caring about the Aggie football team should be a prereq for the job.
Well that sucks! He owns it? :wtf: He would mix up Robinson and sharp all the time too. Embarrassing! :bangwall:
Al does not own the radio station, he has just worked there since the beginning of time.



User avatar
Naked Bull Rider
Posts: 409
Joined: July 10th, 2015, 11:15 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Naked Bull Rider » August 9th, 2016, 3:01 pm

AggieVoice wrote:He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Scotty G. has the voice of an angel! Shame that it's wasted on Ute and Cougar (I can't express myself without swearing)-kissing every day...



User avatar
Maverik_Aggie
Posts: 1161
Joined: April 3rd, 2016, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 3:03 pm

Naked Bull Rider wrote:
AggieVoice wrote:He's an Aggie classic. He will be around as long as he wants to be. Then a more pleasant voice would hopefully replace him. I'd love Scotty G to be the voice of the Aggies with Spencer Nelson as his sidekick in basketball, not sure who in football.
Scotty G. has the voice of an angel! Shame that it's wasted on Ute and Cougar (I can't express myself without swearing)-kissing every day...
Scotty G. Would be great for a new commentator!



coolag
Posts: 1145
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 10:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 31 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by coolag » August 9th, 2016, 3:05 pm

Chatman wrote:Fligger will be taking over again as stadium announcer. I have on good account.
For the love of $#*@ please tell me ain't so!



OCDAggie
Posts: 40
Joined: January 17th, 2013, 8:57 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by OCDAggie » August 9th, 2016, 4:08 pm

Well another fact is the announcer is paid less than $10.00 an hour for these games, and game prep time is on your own. I'd rather sit in the stands and criticize the announcer too than agree to do that job. They should at least offer a hot dog and a coke with the job.



Madmartigan
Posts: 2665
Joined: November 19th, 2010, 11:30 pm
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 177 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Madmartigan » August 9th, 2016, 4:57 pm

OCDAggie wrote:Well another fact is the announcer is paid less than $10.00 an hour for these games, and game prep time is on your own. I'd rather sit in the stands and criticize the announcer too than agree to do that job. They should at least offer a hot dog and a coke with the job.
I will do it for free. I will know all our players names and pronounce them all correctly.



Jjoey52
Posts: 3266
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Jjoey52 » August 9th, 2016, 5:08 pm

That guy last year was so bad that my cousin, a huge BSU fan, was laughing at him so much, he completely forgot about the beat down.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

NVAggie
Posts: 16167
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:09 am
Location: Where the sagebrush grows!
Has thanked: 686 times
Been thanked: 624 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by NVAggie » August 9th, 2016, 6:11 pm

They do have a drink machine and catered meals in the press box. Don't feel too bad for the guy.



User avatar
Maverik_Aggie
Posts: 1161
Joined: April 3rd, 2016, 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 0

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Maverik_Aggie » August 9th, 2016, 8:41 pm

I would rather listen to cbssports commentators than Al Lewis. That is saying something.....



Jjoey52
Posts: 3266
Joined: December 16th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Has thanked: 30 times
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Jjoey52 » August 9th, 2016, 8:54 pm

I like Al, he is one of a kind, and is very passionate. Just remember this is Logan, Al Michaels will not come here, in fact you might get last years PA guy.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

User avatar
AGinNEIowa
Pick'em Champ - '15, '16 & '17 WTHCG
Posts: 6138
Joined: January 10th, 2003, 12:00 am
Location: northeast Iowa
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by AGinNEIowa » August 9th, 2016, 9:24 pm

I like Al for all he's done for the program over the years - being the voice for so many years has got to count for something. I dislike listening to him - so I don't.


Enter your Picks on GOOGLE DOCS
BOWLS Entry Sheet

WEEK 15 Entry with results

WEEKLY & WTHCG Standings Congrats to winners - Aggies22 Weekly, bigblue WTHCG

KICKOFF Standings & Summary Congrats to winner - NHAGGIE!

User avatar
Empire of Dirt
Posts: 3306
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 6:57 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by Empire of Dirt » August 9th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I don't like Al for a variety of reasons that have been repeated many times around here. But dude works hard and is super prepared.

On the other hand, flygre and the dude from last year are just an embarrassment of apathy and incompetence. I'll be dumbfounded of either of them are back. That would really be too bad.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk


"If you are not an Aggie Fan you are a complete loser." -Kyle Gunther

GameFAQSAggie
Posts: 4914
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 11:10 am
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by GameFAQSAggie » August 9th, 2016, 10:55 pm

One memory I have of Al is during a pregame show in 2011, he was like "I know, we have always been good up until the fourth quarter. I know, we have always lost it in the fourth quarter" and I could tell by the way he said it that between 1. People on the air complaining about it 2. People in the community that would see him know he is the radio announcer and complain to him as if it would solve the problem and 3. People in the community that weren't talking to him but he would overhear complaining about it, he was sick of it and it made me feel better to know he was as sick of everyone complaining as I was, if not more. I can also remember that night, when we fell behind 28-7 at halftime, I was thinking that I would at least not have to hear whining about the fourth quarter. It was all the better we came back and won.

Most of you can remember this. Either you were constantly complaining that year about us "always losing it in fourth quarter" or were sick of having everyone see you, know your a very avid fan and complain to you about it, as if it would solve the problem.

Then again, you can also make a case that for those that complained to me, Al, or any of us, if they did it before the Hawaii game that year, it DID solve the problem!



User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4280
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 10th, 2016, 8:53 am

I'm proud to be a fan of Al. He's maddening to listen to at times, but the guy really has done a lot for Aggie athletics. He is one of the few avid supporters that didn't lose hope through the dark years. Kept them on the radio despite what had to be dismal ratings that even the Saturday afternoon AM cooking radio shows could beat. The guy bleeds blue. Always has. If he has a downfall it is that he is too passionate about the Aggies. Who can really be upset about that?



USUBlue
13=13
Posts: 4330
Joined: January 10th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by USUBlue » August 10th, 2016, 8:56 am

aceofspadeskb wrote:I'm proud to be a fan of Al. He's maddening to listen to at times, but the guy really has done a lot for Aggie athletics. He is one of the few avid supporters that didn't lose hope through the dark years. Kept them on the radio despite what had to be dismal ratings that even the Saturday afternoon AM cooking radio shows could beat. The guy bleeds blue. Always has. If he has a downfall it is that he is too passionate about the Aggies. Who can really be upset about that?
Actually his flaw goes right to the heart of his job . . to provide listeners an accurate play-by-play so we know what is going on. He doesn't do that well at all and hasn't for years.



User avatar
OKAggie
Posts: 2370
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 8:32 am
Location: Tulsa, OK
Has thanked: 54 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by OKAggie » August 10th, 2016, 8:57 am

Jjoey52 wrote:I like Al, he is one of a kind, and is very passionate. Just remember this is Logan, Al Michaels will not come here, in fact you might get last years PA guy.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
More likely you'd get Scott Garrard, who has filled in for Al at times, loves the Aggies just as much, and calls a much better game.


Nobody here knows anything.

User avatar
aceofspadeskb
Posts: 4280
Joined: September 10th, 2012, 12:50 pm
Has thanked: 153 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by aceofspadeskb » August 10th, 2016, 8:59 am

USUBlue wrote:
aceofspadeskb wrote:I'm proud to be a fan of Al. He's maddening to listen to at times, but the guy really has done a lot for Aggie athletics. He is one of the few avid supporters that didn't lose hope through the dark years. Kept them on the radio despite what had to be dismal ratings that even the Saturday afternoon AM cooking radio shows could beat. The guy bleeds blue. Always has. If he has a downfall it is that he is too passionate about the Aggies. Who can really be upset about that?
Actually his flaw goes right to the heart of his job . . to provide listeners an accurate play-by-play so we know what is going on. He doesn't do that well at all and hasn't for years.
I've never had this issue with Al. Sure you have to filter out the shouting, but I think he does a pretty good job calling a game. Admittedly, he's better at football than basketball.

His post game interviews on the other hand...



User avatar
aggiefan444
Posts: 679
Joined: November 4th, 2010, 3:04 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by aggiefan444 » August 10th, 2016, 10:25 am

Count how many times in an interview or just on the radio Al says "and Again"



MetsJetsAggies
Posts: 6130
Joined: November 3rd, 2010, 1:39 am
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: the question you all are dying to ask

Post by MetsJetsAggies » August 10th, 2016, 2:09 pm

I like Al, he's not perfect but he's enjoyable to listen to IMO



Locked Previous topicNext topic