Two plays?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
AngusAg

Two plays?

Post by AngusAg » October 2nd, 2016, 8:10 am

I didn't think I'd find more drama or sense of entitlement than what some women at work exhibit, but I was wrong.

The margin of difference between those two teams last night was marginal, IMO. We just lost to a team that could well finish the season 12 - 0 and ranked in the top 15 and you could argue that the difference was two plays - the trick back pass and the blown coverage TD. Outside of that, that game was dead even.

Myers outplayed Rypien IMO. Myers was 29/50 for 287 and Rypien was 15/24 for 163. I don't know how you can do a perfect comparison, but certainly Myers held his own w/ Rypien. When Myers has time, he is a good passer. Plus, Rypien had a running game and more time to throw (probably because he had a running game.) What's the outcome if McNichols was the one injured and Mays was the healthy one? Easily could have been a different outcome on that alone. We got insight into that last year when McNichols was injured. As far as synchronized swimming style points, this is football. Leave that stuff for the Olympics. Lombardi must be rolling over in his grave.

We have to clean up some things, no question. Too many mistakes. But.... I think we're closer than we're lead to believe by some. We go 4 - 8 as some are suggesting, there is no question we have to take a long hard look. Time will tell on that, but let it play itself out. Things will be clearer two months from now. Let's leave the drama to the women.

isrred

Re: Two plays?

Post by isrred » October 2nd, 2016, 8:55 am

AngusAg wrote:I didn't think I'd find more drama or sense of entitlement than what some women at work exhibit, but I was wrong.

The margin of difference between those two teams last night was marginal, IMO. We just lost to a team that could well finish the season 12 - 0 and ranked in the top 15 and you could argue that the difference was two plays - the trick back pass and the blown coverage TD. Outside of that, that game was dead even.

Myers outplayed Rypien IMO. Myers was 29/50 for 287 and Rypien was 15/24 for 163. I don't know how you can do a perfect comparison, but certainly Myers held his own w/ Rypien. When Myers has time, he is a good passer. Plus, Rypien had a running game and more time to throw (probably because he had a running game.) What's the outcome if McNichols was the one injured and Mays was the healthy one? Easily could have been a different outcome on that alone. We got insight into that last year when McNichols was injured. As far as synchronized swimming style points, this is football. Leave that stuff for the Olympics. Lombardi must be rolling over in his grave.

We have to clean up some things, no question. Too many mistakes. But.... I think we're closer than we're lead to believe by some. We go 4 - 8 as some are suggesting, there is no question we have to take a long hard look. Time will tell on that, but let it play itself out. Things will be clearer two months from now. Let's leave the drama to the women.
Get your sexist condescending (I can't express myself without swearing) out of here.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 2nd, 2016, 9:12 am

AngusAg wrote:I didn't think I'd find more drama or sense of entitlement than what some women at work exhibit, but I was wrong.

I came away more encouraged about reaching a bowl game after last night. Our defense is going to keep us in games and give our offense some short fields. Outside of SDSU I think our offense will have more success against the other 5 MW teams.

AgMac

Post by AgMac » October 2nd, 2016, 9:21 am

The defense played very well, but I always think the "take away this or that and that and we would be singing a different tune" is silly. I'm sure Boise could say "We were two plays away from shutting them out."

Maverik_Aggie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 2nd, 2016, 9:25 am

Something has to roll on offense. I don't know if it's an actual coordinator, or train a new QB, or just run the option most of the time.

BUT SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 2nd, 2016, 9:27 am

AgMac wrote:The defense played very well, but I always think the "take away this or that and that and we would be singing a different tune" is silly. I'm sure Boise could say "We were two plays away from shutting them out."
Well said. The Patriots did a study just before they hired Parcells to determine what it takes to win in the NFL. The report identified that NFL games are won or lost on 3-4 plays in each game. Which 3-4? You never know but they tried to instill in their players and coaches to play every down like it is the one that will swing the game. It worked well for them and changed their culture. We can pin point 3-4 that we could have made, Boise will point to the 3-4 they did make. If we could flip those we would have won. We didn't so we lost. We need to find a way to make those plays.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

AngusAg

Post by AngusAg » October 2nd, 2016, 9:56 am

dyedblue wrote:
AgMac wrote:The defense played very well, but I always think the "take away this or that and that and we would be singing a different tune" is silly. I'm sure Boise could say "We were two plays away from shutting them out."
Well said. The Patriots did a study just before they hired Parcells to determine what it takes to win in the NFL. The report identified that NFL games are won or lost on 3-4 plays in each game. Which 3-4? You never know but they tried to instill in their players and coaches to play every down like it is the one that will swing the game. It worked well for them and changed their culture. We can pin point 3-4 that we could have made, Boise will point to the 3-4 they did make. If we could flip those we would have won. We didn't so we lost. We need to find a way to make those plays.
Better said dyedblue. I guess my point was in a lot of games the margin of victory can be 2 or 3 plays. One thing is obvious, we are closing the gap with Boise. I don't think its "silly" to say a couple of plays can change the course of a game, but it may be difficult to prove it. You could make a compelling argument that the 2 or 3 reviews last week had a profound impact on the AF game.

Except for a couple of plays, we played toe to toe with a potential 12-0, top 15 team, on their (ugly) turf last night. How's that? I don't think it warrants all the drama IN MY OPINION. We need to replace Mays, somehow/someway; that, alone, would, make a profound difference. We're improvising to try and compensate and its shows.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » October 2nd, 2016, 10:01 am

isrred wrote:

Get your sexist condescending s*** out of here.
Lighten up, Francis

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

JonnyCienPesos
Has thanked: 0

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 2nd, 2016, 10:02 am

You aren't allowed to do that. Now, you can (I can't express myself without swearing) and moan after a win and say that we should have lost and we should be discouraged despite the win. But you can't take positives from a loss. So it goes around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 2nd, 2016, 10:29 am

You know what I loved? When Boise attempted the fake punt and snuffed it out. That shows progress to me right there.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » October 2nd, 2016, 1:57 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

I came away more encouraged about reaching a bowl game after last night. Our defense is going to keep us in games and give our offense some short fields. Outside of SDSU I think our offense will have more success against the other 5 MW teams
I keep holding out hope that this will be the case too but the more I think about it, the less convinced I am. The reason is that the problems largely lie with our own team and coaching staff, not the opposition. Our OL will still stink to high heaven, we will still lack execution at critical times and most of all we will still have the same poor offensive game plan and play calling. It's not the other team is dictating the outcomes of these games against us, it is our own issues that hold us back. I fear even against lesser talented teams these same problems on offense will rise to the top and prevent us from victory.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 2nd, 2016, 3:39 pm

Aglicious wrote:
hipsterdoofus21 wrote:

I came away more encouraged about reaching a bowl game after last night. Our defense is going to keep us in games and give our offense some short fields. Outside of SDSU I think our offense will have more success against the other 5 MW teams
I keep holding out hope that this will be the case too but the more I think about it, the less convinced I am. The reason is that the problems largely lie with our own team and coaching staff, not the opposition. Our OL will still stink to high heaven, we will still lack execution at critical times and most of all we will still have the same poor offensive game plan and play calling. It's not the other team is dictating the outcomes of these games against us, it is our own issues that hold us back. I fear even against lesser talented teams these same problems on offense will rise to the top and prevent us from victory.
Exactly, that's why I don't believe we are capable of winning more than 1 game on the road. We simply are not good enough on offense to be counted on, no matter who the FBS opposition is.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 2nd, 2016, 3:47 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:You aren't allowed to do that. Now, you can b**** and moan after a win and say that we should have lost and we should be discouraged despite the win. But you can't take positives from a loss. So it goes around here.

Seems like pretty much every post you make is complain about posters not being positive enough. We get it. In fact, you're really no different than usublue. You repeat yourself every bit as much as he does.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 2nd, 2016, 4:01 pm

2004AG wrote:
JonnyCienPesos wrote:You aren't allowed to do that. Now, you can b**** and moan after a win and say that we should have lost and we should be discouraged despite the win. But you can't take positives from a loss. So it goes around here.

Seems like pretty much every post you make is complain about posters not being positive enough. We get it. In fact, you're really no different than usublue. You repeat yourself every bit as much as he does.

Hey 2004, at least my posts are about the games, the players and the coaches. Jonny just wants to talk about other posters which by the rules of the Forum should be banned.

99577Ag

Post by 99577Ag » October 2nd, 2016, 4:03 pm

I am glad for this post. I just think that we have to wait to see how things go over the course of a season. I coach high school football, and sometimes things don't go as you plan, especially when there are so many new coaches, and young players. We started 1-3 this year, but just won our conference championship. Yes, it drives me crazy that we can't run the ball well, and when we run 4 yard routes when we need 6, but I see lots to be happy about. You have to admit, we are playing with so much more passion than last year, for whatever reason. Let's see what happens! I am cautiously optimistic.

"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor."
Vince Lombardi

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 2nd, 2016, 4:08 pm

USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Hey 2004, at least my posts are about the games, the players and the coaches. Jonny just wants to talk about other posters which by the rules of the Forum should be banned.
I enjoy your posts and I agree, You actually discuss the games. He complains about you repeating yourself, then turns around and repeats himself.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » October 2nd, 2016, 4:27 pm

2004AG wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I enjoy your posts and I agree, You actually discuss the games. He complains about you repeating yourself, then turns around and repeats himself.

I wish Jonny would just post his thoughts and insights about the games, players, coaches. Isn't that what fans do. When did fans discussing fans become the purpose of this forum.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » October 2nd, 2016, 4:40 pm

I would say there are many who don't just post their insights and thoughts. Jonny isn't the only one.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 2nd, 2016, 4:44 pm

NVAggie wrote:I would say there are many who don't just post their insights and thoughts. Jonny isn't the only one.
Unfortunately this is basically true. I have a perfect example of it....

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » October 2nd, 2016, 4:52 pm

USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

I wish Jonny would just post his thoughts and insights about the games, players, coaches. Isn't that what fans do. When did fans discussing fans become the purpose of this forum.
Are you two ladies talking about me??

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » October 2nd, 2016, 6:11 pm

JonnyCienPesos wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
2004AG wrote:

Are you two ladies talking about me??

Ladies?

Wow. You really showed us.

hipsterdoofus21

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » October 2nd, 2016, 6:35 pm

Locked Previous topicNext topic