Most Important Game of the Season?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thetrueaggie

Most Important Game of the Season?

Post by thetrueaggie » October 3rd, 2016, 11:26 pm

I believe that it is this week vs. CSU. I think it's important to note that this is NOT the BIGGEST game of the season (USC, BSU, SDSU, BYU are up for debate on that one). However, I believe the outcome of this game will likely be a forecast of how the rest of the season will be. We lose, we stand at 2-4 and absolutely ZERO momentum heading into the bye week and a bowl game would be in serious question. Granted, our schedule eases up after the SDSU game (though I'm hesitant to say something like that at this point). If we win, we're looking at 3-3 (which is a reasonable record given the preseason predictions of all of us) and bowling is a more legitimate possibility. I think the team (even the offense at times) has shown promise. Thoughts?

Yossarian

Re: Most Important Game of the Season?

Post by Yossarian » October 3rd, 2016, 11:52 pm

thetrueaggie wrote:I believe that it is this week vs. CSU. I think it's important to note that this is NOT the BIGGEST game of the season (USC, BSU, SDSU, BYU are up for debate on that one). However, I believe the outcome of this game will likely be a forecast of how the rest of the season will be. We lose, we stand at 2-4 and absolutely ZERO momentum heading into the bye week and a bowl game would be in serious question. Granted, our schedule eases up after the SDSU game (though I'm hesitant to say something like that at this point). If we win, we're looking at 3-3 (which is a reasonable record given the preseason predictions of all of us) and bowling is a more legitimate possibility. I think the team (even the offense at times) has shown promise. Thoughts?

Nope - the biggest game of the season has come and gone and the Aggies blew it. The Air Force game was the biggest game of the season. That was a must-win home game. It was a game against another Mountain Division power team that USU needed to win to establish itself as a major player in the Division and Conference standings. A win against the Academy would have put USU atop the Division going into the Boise game. The Air Force game could have set the table for an 8-win, or better, season and a more attractive bowl game. USU needs to win these "toss-up" or "too close to call" type games to really pull ahead.

Right now, the CSU game is the second most important game of the season. This one may very well determine bowl eligibility, but it will not be a "sexy" bowl - most likely another Potato Bowl..... again, if they are lucky. To be honest, from here on out until the byu game - every game will be the most important game of the season.

Eutaw St. Aggie

utaggies

Post by utaggies » October 4th, 2016, 2:05 am

Yossarian wrote:
thetrueaggie wrote:I believe that it is this week vs. CSU. I think it's important to note that this is NOT the BIGGEST game of the season (USC, BSU, SDSU, BYU are up for debate on that one). However, I believe the outcome of this game will likely be a forecast of how the rest of the season will be. We lose, we stand at 2-4 and absolutely ZERO momentum heading into the bye week and a bowl game would be in serious question. Granted, our schedule eases up after the SDSU game (though I'm hesitant to say something like that at this point). If we win, we're looking at 3-3 (which is a reasonable record given the preseason predictions of all of us) and bowling is a more legitimate possibility. I think the team (even the offense at times) has shown promise. Thoughts?

Nope - the biggest game of the season has come and gone and the Aggies blew it. The Air Force game was the biggest game of the season. That was a must-win home game. It was a game against another Mountain Division power team that USU needed to win to establish itself as a major player in the Division and Conference standings. A win against the Academy would have put USU atop the Division going into the Boise game. The Air Force game could have set the table for an 8-win, or better, season and a more attractive bowl game. USU needs to win these "toss-up" or "too close to call" type games to really pull ahead.

Right now, the CSU game is the second most important game of the season. This one may very well determine bowl eligibility, but it will not be a "sexy" bowl - most likely another Potato Bowl..... again, if they are lucky. To be honest, from here on out until the byu game - every game will be the most important game of the season.
Yup, you absolutely nailed it. The Aggies have zero room for a screw-up having lost to AFA. That means dropping a maximum of only one game against NM, Nevada, Fresno, CSU and WYO. We can afford to lose to SDS (but may not given SDS' last game) and BYU. My pre-season prediction was 6-6 and I'm sticking with it. Wyoming on the road is the most important remaining game.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 4th, 2016, 8:01 am

I think this week's game will reveal the "real" nature of the team. While the Air Force game result was a loss, a strong case can be made (as has been done on this site many times times now) that absent the obviously blown calls we would have won. Hence, even though it was a loss and (likely) shot our chances at either a division or conference championship the final result (L) was not an accurate reflection of the game that was played. Boise (sad to say) was a likely loss anyway (even though the defense played more than well enough to win, the offense screwed it up).

With this week's game we have yet another chance to find out the team's real potential. In that sense I think this is the most important game yet. If we win hope is alive for a winning season, if we lose I can't see a likely path to a winning season.

I do think Yossarian is correct that pretty much *every* game from here on out will take on the "most important" status as its week rolls around.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » October 4th, 2016, 1:42 pm

The next game is always the most important game.

Locked Previous topicNext topic