Bad - Not surprising news

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
thetrueaggie

Post by thetrueaggie » October 20th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Just swung by the card office on campus to see how many students tickets had been sold. I would say about 1/4 of them were sold. I know fall break is a big reason why many aren't going, but the BSU game fell on fall break last year I think and it was decently attended. Granted that was BSU. Once you add in factors like a losing streak, bad opponent, late start, and cold weather, I bet Romney Stadium will be barren this Saturday.

providencealum

Re: Bad - Not surprising news

Post by providencealum » October 20th, 2016, 1:57 pm

Throw in the deer hunt and the list continues to grow. The crowd to this game will be sparse.

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 20th, 2016, 2:04 pm

It will be very sparse. Don't care. I'll be there. Go Aggies!

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 20th, 2016, 2:40 pm

I will be there too with about ten others. Go Aggies!

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 3:47 pm

The stadium will be half empty and that's exactly what this particular team and staff has earned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 20th, 2016, 3:52 pm

Ah yes the Utah Deer Huuuunt weekend (aka) armature beer drinker's in the mountain away from the nagging wife weekend. :joking:

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 20th, 2016, 4:05 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:The stadium will be half empty and that's exactly what this particular team and staff has earned.

This is part of the problem. I know I know you can spend your money how you like, but it is continued proof that USU lacks in football culture.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » October 20th, 2016, 4:21 pm

I convinced 4 friends to buy tickets to this game. Just doing my part...

Bulls On Parade

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » October 20th, 2016, 4:28 pm

half the state is down here in the OC this weekend - Disneyland would be the place to avoid the next few days.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

bleu
Been thanked: 0

Post by bleu » October 20th, 2016, 4:51 pm

brian5562 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:The stadium will be half empty and that's exactly what this particular team and staff has earned.

This is part of the problem. I know I know you can spend your money how you like, but it is continued proof that USU lacks in football culture.
*skill. Not culture.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 5:04 pm

brian5562 wrote:

My statement that the stadium will be half empty is part of the problem?? Please elaborate.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 20th, 2016, 5:14 pm

The vast majority is fair weather. We can't even fill a 30,000 seat stadium. Yes the team is down this year but the program has been to 5 straight bowl games and has improved and the team starts to struggle and people stop coming? If there was a "football culture" here at USU the place would have at least 20,000 every weekend. Football games are about much more than just the action on the field. It should be an event. The game doesn't start until 6 and that is when Aggie fans show up. I hope for the day where the parking lot is full of tailgaters, families, and students experiencing game day.

Instead it's oh I have the deer hunt, oh I need to mow my lawn, oh the in-laws are in town, oh I have to carve a pumpkin, oh that is so late.

If we want to be a big boy then football has to come first.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 5:35 pm

brian5562 wrote:The vast majority is fair weather. We can't even fill a 30,000 seat stadium. Yes the team is down this year but the program has been to 5 straight bowl games and has improved and the team starts to struggle and people stop coming? If there was a "football culture" here at USU the place would have at least 20,000 every weekend. Football games are about much more than just the action on the field. It should be an event. The game doesn't start until 6 and that is when Aggie fans show up. I hope for the day where the parking lot is full of tailgaters, families, and students experiencing game day.

Instead it's oh I have the deer hunt, oh I need to mow my lawn, oh the in-laws are in town, oh I have to carve a pumpkin, oh that is so late.

I'm confused still, you didn't answer my question. How is my statement part of the problem? You literally said "this is part of the problem."

We sucked forever, we were a good team in 2 terrible conferences for maybe 5 years, and now we suck again this year. We share a (low population) state with 2 other (MUCH BETTER) D1 programs. One of them is in the pac12 and the other is consistently competitive with P5 programs.

You're absolutely out of your mind if you think we will ever get a decent turnout over fall break when our team has played like garbage all year.
You can keep talking about it all you want, but you're completely wasting your time.

Last edited by BleedAggieBlue0 on October 20th, 2016, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bleu

Post by bleu » October 20th, 2016, 5:36 pm

I know it's a forum favorite to complain about attendance instead of what the team is doing right or wrong, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about attendance at this one. It's a 1-6 team playing a 2-4 team at a cold mid-October game starting at 8.30. I'll be there, but I can't blame anyone in the world for not being there.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 5:43 pm

bleu wrote:I know it's a forum favorite to complain about attendance instead of what the team is doing right or wrong, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about attendance at this one. It's a 1-6 team playing a 2-4 team at a cold mid-October game starting at 8.30. I'll be there, but I can't blame anyone in the world for not being there.
Seriously...this should be obvious, right? This is what happens when you give dumb people a computer.

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » October 20th, 2016, 7:40 pm

This is not just a USU issue, attendance down all over due to late starts and other TV factors

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » October 20th, 2016, 8:12 pm

brian5562 wrote:The vast majority is fair weather. We can't even fill a 30,000 seat stadium. Yes the team is down this year but the program has been to 5 straight bowl games and has improved and the team starts to struggle and people stop coming? If there was a "football culture" here at USU the place would have at least 20,000 every weekend. Football games are about much more than just the action on the field. It should be an event. The game doesn't start until 6 and that is when Aggie fans show up. I hope for the day where the parking lot is full of tailgaters, families, and students experiencing game day.

100% AGREE WITH THIS. It's an event. Inexcusable with combining the population of Weber county and Cache valley alone that Maverik isn't sold out every home game. I blame a lot of this on alumni.

brian5562

Post by brian5562 » October 20th, 2016, 10:21 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
bleu wrote:I know it's a forum favorite to complain about attendance instead of what the team is doing right or wrong, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about attendance at this one. It's a 1-6 team playing a 2-4 team at a cold mid-October game starting at 8.30. I'll be there, but I can't blame anyone in the world for not being there.
Seriously...this should be obvious, right? This is what happens when you give dumb people a computer.

My point is we don't have a football culture in cash valley. We like to think that Gary changed the culture but that isn't true. I did answer your question I said the vast majority, including you, a fair weather fan. That is part of the problem.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 10:27 pm

brian5562 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

My point is we don't have a football culture in cash valley. We like to think that Gary changed the culture but that isn't true.
We don't have a football culture in cache valley because we don't have good football currently in cache valley. The reason we "thought" Gary changed the culture (he did, this is obvious) is because at that point in time we DID have good football in cache valley.

Good record=good attendance. This is common sense.

There is no such thing as unwavering support in football. LSU has good support because they have been really really good for a very very long time and they have a lot of people nearby. If LSU was absolutely terrible for 30 years, their fan support would go down as well. Then it would go up on a good year, and back down if the next year was bad. And more down if the next year after that was worse.

This is not rocket science.

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 20th, 2016, 10:35 pm

So I guess we should only support the team when we are winning? What a bunch of fair weather fans. I will support the team through thick and thin.
Every team in the nation has lean years. Who know where this team would be with a couple of breaks. :utah: :state: Go AGGIES!

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 10:43 pm

blueaggie wrote:So I guess we should only support the team when we are winning? What a bunch of fair weather fans. I will support the team through thick and thin.
Every team in the nation has lean years. Who know where this team would be with a couple of breaks. :utah: :state: Go AGGIES!
Who's a bunch of fair weather fans? Where did I say I wouldn't be supporting? Where did anyone on here say they would not be supporting? No one even said that fans "should" stop supporting. Just in case you didn't know, the majority of sports fans are fair weather fans. That's why the good teams have more fans. Crazy, huh?

blueaggie

Post by blueaggie » October 20th, 2016, 10:55 pm

You call this supporting the team?

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » October 20th, 2016, 10:56 pm

blueaggie wrote:

I'll be there. I call that supporting. Even though it's none of your business.

bleu

Post by bleu » October 21st, 2016, 7:10 am

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:So I guess we should only support the team when we are winning? What a bunch of fair weather fans. I will support the team through thick and thin.
Who's a bunch of fair weather fans? Where did I say I wouldn't be supporting? Where did anyone on here say they would not be supporting? No one even said that fans "should" stop supporting. Just in case you didn't know, the majority of sports fans are fair weather fans. That's why the good teams have more fans. Crazy, huh?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'll be there front and center yelling the whole time and singing every verse of the fight song. But I'm a diehard. If I were just a "casual fan", I doubt I'd put myself through the suffering. And to be honest, I can't really say that people SHOULD be there supporting, cause this year's team hasn't exactly deserved it.

Good football=fans
Good football for a long time=better, more dedicated fans
Crappy football=crappy fan support

aceofspadeskb

Post by aceofspadeskb » October 21st, 2016, 7:52 am

Good grief! The attendance topic is so....freaking.....old. Can we all accept that in the last 6 years we've come half way to where we want to be? A half full stadium isn't bad for these conditions. We used to get 1000 to games like this just 7 years ago. That means that in 7 years our attendance has increased by an order of magnitude.

Chill out. We're on the right track. It's a down year, next year should be better.

GO AGGIES.

isrred
Pick'em Champ - '21 Kickoff

Post by isrred » October 21st, 2016, 8:31 am

Football is about entertainment. This team is NOT entertaining. This offense is PAINFUL to watch. Losing is not entertaining. Driving 4 hours round trip, with games being unbearably long 4+ hours now, and it being an 8:30 start it means for Salt Lake and Utah County alumni have to make a minimum 8 hour commitment that culminates in them getting home after 2am.

Add that to the fact that we are a bad team in last place and an offense that makes my eyes bleed and I can't find it hard to believe most people can easily find dozens of better ways to spend their entertainment dollars and free time on a Saturday night.

WAaggieFan

Post by WAaggieFan » October 21st, 2016, 8:45 am

I've been wearing my Dodge hat on chilly mornings of late. That truck just performs!

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » October 21st, 2016, 10:51 am

brian5562 wrote:
BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:

My point is we don't have a football culture in cash valley. We like to think that Gary changed the culture but that isn't true. I did answer your question I said the vast majority, including you, a fair weather fan. That is part of the problem.

I agree most are fair weather fans (myself included if we are talking attendance as the only measure). If we have the equivalent of 7 or 8 Gary Andersens (his successful years) in row say 15 years of stellar football (bowl every year, lots of 8 and 9 win seasons, conferences championships on occasion, beating BYU consistently 3 out of 4 times) I think you would see a "football culture" develop around USU. Short of that I think you'll see what you are currently seeing. Occasional big infusions of cash from donors and sponsors - enough to keep us D1 by the skin of our teeth - and a slow upward trend on average for attendance. Throw in very many non-bowl seasons and I think you will see pure stagnation.

I think when a lot of USU students and administrators look at the amount of resources, money, and autonomy that the UofU and BYU football programs have/use up they can't believe it. USU as an institution tends to be focused on trying to survive and build quality. The entire university has an excellent reputation for doing more with less - that mindset does not lend itself to even attempting to build a football program like either the UofU or BYU has. The amount of money and resources that would have to be diverted is (and the number of rules that would probably need to be bent are) simply a non-starter.

USU tends to have a student body that is just trying to get an education and a job. We have a very high proportion who work while attending school. For the most part they simply aren't here for the extracurricular activities. They are just getting on with life.

I've been thrilled with the football program's recent success, I hope it continues. (And I care a lot more about it now than when I attended.) I've loved (the past few years) not having to discuss loss after loss after loss with my co-workers (this year, not so much), but honestly I don't expect it to last. At the end of the day half of the teams have to lose any given weekend. To stay in the upper half (on average) an institution has to be able to commit resources and money big time. In addition they've got to be able to find great coaches (and ours aren't going to stick around so we will have to do it over and over and over), and those coaches are going to have to be able to convince really good players to come. It's a tall order.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

ususports

Post by ususports » October 21st, 2016, 12:46 pm

I went to USU's site to look at something else and an ad popped up before going to the main site announcing the ticket office is having a "flash sale" for tickets in to tomorrow's game. They have reserved seats in the student section on sale for $9 each + $2 service fee. Nice to see the ticket office trying to be proactive when the students don't claim the seats.

Socrates2121

Post by Socrates2121 » October 21st, 2016, 12:55 pm

ususports wrote:I went to USU's site to look at something else and an ad popped up before going to the main site announcing the ticket office is having a "flash sale" for tickets in to tomorrow's game. They have reserved seats in the student section on sale for $9 each + $2 service fee. Nice to see the ticket office trying to be proactive when the students don't claim the seats.

This is good. Get what money you can.

Bulls On Parade

aggiesdotcom

Post by aggiesdotcom » October 22nd, 2016, 10:06 am

An 8:30 TV start time against a 1-6 opponent has me seriously contemplating not going tonight. I don't know how much we make from ESPN but an 8:30 TV and other all these other late TV games are absolutely destroying the at-game environment. I have regretted buying season tickets this year. Think how enjoyable a 2 pm or traditional 1 pm start time would have been on a beautiful late October day like today? Then picture yourself sitting in your seat at 9 pm, temps in the low 40s with nobody around you to keep warm, 4 hours from home, watching another tunnel screen on 3rd and long. *changes channel to Cubs game*

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » October 22nd, 2016, 10:20 am

Ad in the 45 minutes of replays and another 2 hours of irrational TV breaks and yeah, I question my own attendance at times. I'll be there like I always am but it takes a tough minded fan to endure it.

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

crazywookie

Post by crazywookie » October 22nd, 2016, 1:22 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
blueaggie wrote:

I'll be there. I call that supporting. Even though it's none of your business.

I can agree with this. There are ways I can make it a family event but certain conditions need to be met first. Unless you're going to spend money with my work then what I am doing doesn't concern others.

You'll see me when I'm able to go.

"Cover me porkins I'm going in..."

"I'm right with you Red 3..."

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » October 22nd, 2016, 4:22 pm

The vast majority of fans of sports teams in general would qualify as "casual". Every team needs casual fans. I'd wager that 30%+ of the people in any decent student section are literally only there because they are trying to hook up with someone else.

Locked Previous topicNext topic