List of coaches

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Wannabe_coach
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

List of coaches

Post by Wannabe_coach » November 6th, 2016, 10:20 am

Athletic Directors claim they have a list of back up coaches, I was thinking it would be fun if we had our own list and it got pinned on this board. We could vote and discuss why certain coaches would be good.

Coaches I think would succeed.

1. Beau Baldwin -from E. Washington. He's from California so would be good at recruiting the West (Follow suite like Wyoming did and bring a coach up that has proven he can win) His Compensation is currently around $250k
2. Chris Klieman from North Dakota State (Same as #1) His compensation at NDSU is currently at $300k
5. Les Miles :lol: (far far reach but he is looking for a job)

GameFAQSAggie

Re: List of coaches

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 6th, 2016, 10:27 am

No to Kliemann. Too many parallels to just winning with what he inherited and Wells and Dennehy at Montana. Baldwin to an extent inherited EWU strong, but at least has won with his players.

The fact that we are on LSU's schedule in 2019 could give Les Miles an incentive to come here, and build us up to beating his old team so he could tell them to kiss his a**, if he can't find a job with anyone else on LSU's future schedule. And, when he returned, he could be reunited with the same Louisiana State Troopers that were always with him during his time there.

AggieDude

Post by AggieDude » November 6th, 2016, 12:33 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:No to Kliemann. Too many parallels to just winning with what he inherited and Wells and Dennehy at Montana. Baldwin to an extent inherited EWU strong, but at least has won with his players.

The fact that we are on LSU's schedule in 2019 could give Les Miles an incentive to come here, and build us up to beating his old team so he could tell them to kiss his a**, if he can't find a job with anyone else on LSU's future schedule. And, when he returned, he could be reunited with the same Louisiana State Troopers that were always with him during his time there.
I like your thinking... we'll never get Les Miles.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

TheSauerkrautKid

Post by TheSauerkrautKid » November 6th, 2016, 1:37 pm

If you think Hartwell will make anything other than an internal hire you are in denial. A big change takes a big hire and USU will never get over sacrificing the right choice for a convenient one.

bleu

Post by bleu » November 6th, 2016, 2:01 pm

TheSauerkrautKid wrote:If you think Hartwell will make anything other than an internal hire you are in denial. A big change takes a big hire and USU will never get over sacrificing the right choice for a convenient one.
Yes, because we've seen Hartwell hires and how they pan out so many times now...

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 6th, 2016, 2:19 pm

bleu wrote:
TheSauerkrautKid wrote:If you think Hartwell will make anything other than an internal hire you are in denial. A big change takes a big hire and USU will never get over sacrificing the right choice for a convenient one.
Yes, because we've seen Hartwell hires and how they pan out so many times now...
The football hire he made at Troy has worked out well for them.

Mr. Sneelock

Post by Mr. Sneelock » November 6th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Art Briles. Give him a 2nd chance.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Formerly TulsAGGIE

bleu

Post by bleu » November 6th, 2016, 2:45 pm

GameFAQSAggie wrote:
bleu wrote:
Exactly. And even if you're not a fan of Duryea, that wasn't Hartwell's work either. Funny how someone can sit here and hate on Hartwell so much when he really hasn't given any reason to be hated. Your anger is misdirected.

Wannabe_coach

Post by Wannabe_coach » November 6th, 2016, 2:53 pm

This post wasn't about the athletic Director , it's about possible future coaches.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 6th, 2016, 3:36 pm

There we go. Let's grab a coach from Eastern Washington or North Dakota State. That will certainly solve the problem and bring back legitimacy to the program in the eyes of future recruits.

Wannabe_coach

Post by Wannabe_coach » November 6th, 2016, 3:54 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:There we go. Let's grab a coach from Eastern Washington or North Dakota State. That will certainly solve the problem and bring back legitimacy to the program in the eyes of future recruits.
Wow! Thanks for your comment! I really appreciate the list of coaches you proposed and your positive input to this thread. I was just trying create a fun discussion.

You're right! Let's hire Utah's defensive coordinator, give him a weak schedule and then call him a real coach.

bleu

Post by bleu » November 6th, 2016, 4:32 pm

Wannabe_coach wrote:
FloridaAggie13 wrote:There we go. Let's grab a coach from Eastern Washington or North Dakota State. That will certainly solve the problem and bring back legitimacy to the program in the eyes of future recruits.
Wow! Thanks for your comment! I really appreciate the list of coaches you proposed and your positive input to this thread. I was just trying create a fun discussion.

You're right! Let's hire Utah's defensive coordinator, give him a weak schedule and then call him a real coach.
Some people. Hiring an FCS coach has sure turned out terribly for Wyoming so far :sarcasm:

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » November 6th, 2016, 4:34 pm

bleu wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
bleu wrote:
Exactly. And even if you're not a fan of Duryea, that wasn't Hartwell's work either. Funny how someone can sit here and hate on Hartwell so much when he really hasn't given any reason to be hated. Your anger is misdirected.
For what it is worth Hartwell is a much better AD than Scott Barnes

JonnyCienPesos

Post by JonnyCienPesos » November 6th, 2016, 4:36 pm

MWCFAN12 wrote:
bleu wrote:
GameFAQSAggie wrote:
bleu wrote:
For what it is worth Hartwell is a much better AD than Scott Barnes
Yep. This will become very evident over the coming years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm actually really smart, probably smarter than you are so if you disagree with what I have stated in this post, you are likely wrong (and dumb).

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » November 6th, 2016, 4:37 pm

To get your thread back on track here:

I think far and away the top candidate would have to be Ed Lamb. He's currently an associate head/special teams coach at BYU. It's his 1st year there and prior to that he was at SUU for 7 years. He was the head coach of the SUU team that nearly beat us. He played at BYU but is not LDS.

Here are my reasons why:

-He took over an 0-11 team in 2008 and had SUU as a top 25 FCS team by the 2015.
- Two SUU players were drafted and another one signed as FA in 2015.
-He's widely known as a players coach.
- He knows the area understands how to recruit it. He also understands the LDS missionary program and how to handle that.
-He could likely receive a significant pay raise at USU without as paying him a ton. Lamb was making about $105k a year before bonuses at SUU (probably around $200k-$300 at BYU now).

bleu

Post by bleu » November 6th, 2016, 4:43 pm

swishh_15 wrote:To get your thread back on track here:

I think far and away the top candidate would have to be Ed Lamb. He's currently an associate head/special teams coach at BYU. It's his 1st year there and prior to that he was at SUU for 7 years. He was the head coach of the SUU team that nearly beat us. He played at BYU but is not LDS.

Here are my reasons why:

-He took over an 0-11 team in 2008 and had SUU as a top 25 FCS team by the 2015.
- He knows the area understands how to recruit it. He also understands the LDS missionary program and how to handle that.
-He could likely receive a significant pay raise at USU without as paying him a ton. Lamb was making about $105k a year before bonuses at SUU (probably around $200k-$300 at BYU now).
I very much agree with this post. I'm a big fan of Ed Lamb, and I think he could be a home run of a hire. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave BYU for here either.

BeNo

Post by BeNo » November 6th, 2016, 4:51 pm

bleu wrote:
swishh_15 wrote:To get your thread back on track here:

Here are my reasons why:

I very much agree with this post. I'm a big fan of Ed Lamb, and I think he could be a home run of a hire. Wouldn't be surprised to see him leave BYU for here either.
Ed Lamb. Philosophy is to recruit local kids with length, speed, and character and to coach them up.
Last edited by BeNo on November 6th, 2016, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 6th, 2016, 4:52 pm

Yeah, the thing about Lamb is I would be concerned about his record at SUU if he inherited a strong national title contending team and had the record he did. But I like that he had the record he did while inheriting them being 0-11.

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 6th, 2016, 4:53 pm

bleu wrote:
Wannabe_coach wrote:

Some people. Hiring an FCS coach has sure turned out terribly for Wyoming so far :sarcasm:
Great, have at it.

bleu

Post by bleu » November 6th, 2016, 4:55 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
bleu wrote:
Wannabe_coach wrote:

Great, have at it.
Again, thank you for your worthwhile posts and for contributing to the conversation by adding your own suggestions

FloridaAggie13

Post by FloridaAggie13 » November 6th, 2016, 4:55 pm

Wannabe_coach wrote:

If we are trying to add an air of legitimacy we don't hire the coach from North Dakota State or Eastern Washington. On another thread I put my two cents in for the O coordinator at Texas Tech.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 6th, 2016, 5:03 pm

You can hire FCS coaches that win after inheriting a program that is weak. You just don't hire FCS coaches that win while inheriting already strong programs.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » November 6th, 2016, 5:15 pm

FloridaAggie13 wrote:
Wannabe_coach wrote:

If we are trying to add an air of legitimacy we don't hire the coach from North Dakota State or Eastern Washington. On another thread I put my two cents in for the O coordinator at Texas Tech.
Good head coaches come from all places and levels. Saint Andersen was HC at an FCS school in addition to being an assistant at Utah. How is that so different from Ed Lamb? I think it's flawed logic to think an FCS coach can't be successful at this level/"add an air of legitimacy"My candidates that have some ties to Utah/Utah State

Ed Lamb
Morgan Scalley
Mike Sanford Jr
Dave Aranda
Ilaisa Tuiaki

djm19

Post by djm19 » November 6th, 2016, 6:24 pm

The people saying absolutely no to FCS coaches, are delusional. That's the fact of being a mediocre team in a non p5 conference. USU will have to take a chance on someone.

Les Miles ain't walking through that door any time soon.
Wells just got an extension. It would be a huge shock if Wells is canned. He'll have next year with a shorter leash.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 6th, 2016, 7:14 pm

Tuiaki, Frank, Scalley in that order

AndroidAggie

Post by AndroidAggie » November 6th, 2016, 7:30 pm

tuiaki

ed lamb

ed orgeron

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » November 6th, 2016, 7:34 pm

AndroidAggie wrote:tuiaki

ed lamb

ed orgeron
I would love to get coach O, but we're not even in the same competitive universe as the teams he is looking into.

Wannabe_coach

Post by Wannabe_coach » November 6th, 2016, 7:40 pm

I do really like the Ed Lamb suggestion, his recruiting at SUU was impressive. The FCS coaches can be good coaches and within our budget. P5 teams might not go after them as hard.

ChowderAggie

Post by ChowderAggie » November 6th, 2016, 7:41 pm

In this order

Brent Guy
Dave Arslanium
Matt Wells

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 6th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Ed Lamb had a losing record at SUU. Ed Lamb was at SUU for 8 years and the only really notable year was his last year there where he barely lost to us and lost in the 1st round of the FCS playoffs. Then he bolted to BYU to a coordinator position. If Ed Lamb is the best we can do, it's not worth the buy out. I'm sure he is a great guy, I'm sure some of you know him well- but his body of work doesn't give me confidence that USU will be at the top ready to go head-to-head against Boise and compete for a MWCCG. It doesn't give me confidence that the second BYU asks he won't go back.

If we want to be the top program in the MWC we have to start acting like it. As much as I think the athletics department needs to manage the budget better and sign better deals- I don't mind donating more money to retain a coach if I had confidence in the coach taking us to the promised land. I'm not against an FCS coach, but Ed Lamb is no Craig Bohl.

We have benefited from running programs on a budget for sometime- and the look for the good stuff in the discount bin model is drying up. We were cheap with our good coordinators so they left- and if we continue to be cheap- the only people that remain are people who are being overpaid.
Last edited by Imakeitrain on November 6th, 2016, 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bull

Post by bull » November 6th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Orlando

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

List of coaches

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » November 6th, 2016, 8:36 pm

bull wrote:Orlando
Out of our league and it's not even close. He will have a d coordinator position paying around 1 million a year probably by next year. If not next year, 100% the year after.

ShowMeAggie

Post by ShowMeAggie » November 6th, 2016, 9:21 pm

Rich Rodriguez may be looking for a job after this year?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

antibluehair

Post by antibluehair » November 6th, 2016, 9:29 pm

People on this board love the obvious instate asst or former coordinators.
Some guys are assistants and that's it.
Tuiaki - very shy and not the big outgoing personality you need.
Lamb - Has shown he can be a head coach and would recruit instate - I love that.
Stanford Jr- Would be my first call, he or Spavital are young smart coaches that are up and coming.

Orlando and Aranda will make a million plus as D-coordinators forever and aren't dying to be head coaches.
I will withhold by first choice until it is officially an open position.

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » November 6th, 2016, 9:33 pm

BleedAggieBlue0 wrote:
AndroidAggie wrote:tuiaki

ed lamb

ed orgeron
I would love to get coach O, but we're not even in the same competitive universe as the teams he is looking into.

He is only good as an interim coach anyway.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

Locked Previous topicNext topic