Whimpey Podcast

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ratofallaggies

Whimpey Podcast

Post by ratofallaggies » November 9th, 2016, 11:56 am

If you want to hear some refreshing honesty, go listen to the aggieup podcast with KW.... doesn't hold anything back.

BustaMcNutt

Re: Whimpey Podcast

Post by BustaMcNutt » November 9th, 2016, 12:06 pm

I loved his take! This team really does have a loser's mentality. It was refreshing to hear his take having been around both coaching staffs and knowing where things changed. I'd love to have him as a GA and be around our players more.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 9th, 2016, 12:14 pm

Where can I find it?

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » November 9th, 2016, 12:16 pm

Elkaggie wrote:Where can I find it?
http://www.scout.com/college/utah-state ... le-whimpey

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » November 9th, 2016, 5:27 pm

I really liked it. Just freaking win. Win every day. Without that drive from the players, the execution sucks, the player development is down, and players settle for moral victories and stat lines.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » November 10th, 2016, 8:31 am

Boy, after listening to this Hartwell needs to do everything he can to reset and replace Matt Wells. The picture for the next few years is dire. Matt Wells has been a complete disaster.

daharveyjr
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by daharveyjr » November 10th, 2016, 9:02 am

I loved a lot of the things that Whimpey said.... I also like how he called out Wyatt Houston for letting apathy creep in to the program. No one seems to care that we're losing, whereas in previous teams a single loss was unacceptable. Wow, I thought BOOM!

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2016, 10:55 am

Have only listened to the first part of it. Good insights. I can't wait to hear what he says after we don't become bowl eligible.

GUS

Post by GUS » November 10th, 2016, 12:22 pm

He talked like USU has completely missed on O line recruits the past few years and that the O line recruiting has not been a priority with this coaching staff. If that's the reason for the poor O line play, it needs to be fixed this recruiting class.

Agzrule

Post by Agzrule » November 10th, 2016, 12:27 pm

I love Kyle Whimpey, he used to live across the street from me. He will say it like it is. You won't find a truer Aggie. I think he is spot on with his opinions.

Ultimately Wells is not getting it done and he's being very stubborn about it, but this team does not play hard and they are just too soft physically. It makes me depressed to see the current state of our program. So many worked so hard to build it up.

Why cant we get a Whimpey or a Matt Austin on this staff, men who changed this program and know what it takes to be a winner at Utah State?

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2016, 12:45 pm

Agzrule wrote:I love Kyle Whimpey, he used to live across the street from me. He will say it like it is. You won't find a truer Aggie. I think he is spot on with his opinions.

Ultimately Wells is not getting it done and he's being very stubborn about it, but this team does not play hard and they are just too soft physically. It makes me depressed to see the current state of our program. So many worked so hard to build it up.

Why cant we get a Whimpey or a Matt Austin on this staff, men who changed this program and know what it takes to be a winner at Utah State?
I was thinking the exact same thing as I listened. For some reason, as been mentioned before, MW doesn't like having ex-players around program or on staff. Pretty bizarre but true.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 10th, 2016, 3:56 pm

Kyle needs to talk the matters over with Hartwell. It would do more good than just telling us.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2016, 4:35 pm

That was the best podcast I have ever heard. The was spot on. The part about the second string oline on the sidelines during games was very interesting to me. Overall, sounds like we are pretty much screwed.

Aggiefan160

Post by Aggiefan160 » November 10th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Elkaggie wrote:That was the best podcast I have ever heard. The was spot on. The part about the second string oline on the sidelines during games was very interesting to me. Overall, sounds like we are pretty much screwed.
I also found that part interesting. His description of how under Coach Woods, the entire offensive line knew what everyone was doing and operated like a fist, and under Weber, there wasn't near the same level of preparation, as well of study of their opponents explains what we are seeing on the field. The preparation could be fixed, if Coach Farmer is willing to change.

More troubling to me was the lack of competitive nature, as well as the lack of emphasis on recruiting offensive linemen. Overall, the player development is lacking and I think that is because our current players aren't "students of the game" or "football junkies" or whatever cliche you want to use. If you look at the Andersen era, the players, especially the defense, was what it was because they were assignment sound competitors, and that is what has gotten many of them in the league, their knowledge of the game and their work ethic. I think this is culturally what the team is missing, from an outsiders perspective.

***Kyle Whimpey***

Post by ***Kyle Whimpey*** » November 10th, 2016, 9:22 pm

Elkaggie wrote:That was the best podcast I have ever heard. The was spot on. The part about the second string oline on the sidelines during games was very interesting to me. Overall, sounds like we are pretty much screwed.
We are not screwed, we just need to make the evolution through expectation to move from "passive observation" to "active engagement" as it pertains to player development. Players in the 2-deep and developmental roles need to take an active role in their own personal development! When we recruit individuals that understand that concept and understand that it is the coaches responsibility to coach correct technique and assignment and theirs and theirs only to retain information and execute, we will be just fine. These are some of the reasons coaches including coach wells speak so fondly of football junkies. This is because when they are taught correct principles they govern themselves according to plan and as such are considered dependable and consistent and become individuals overtime that you can when games with.

I do think that it will take time getting back to that frame of mind as it almost needs to be retaught, at least from my personal perspective. Again I think a big ships take time to turn and as a result will require patience going into the next few years of Aggie Football.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2016, 9:37 pm

***Kyle Whimpey*** wrote:
We are not screwed, we just need to make the evolution through expectation to move from "passive observation" to "active engagement" as it pertains to player development. Players in the 2-deep and developmental roles need to take an active role in their own personal development! When we recruit individuals that understand that concept and understand that it is the coaches responsibility to coach correct technique and assignment and theirs and theirs only to retain information and execute, we will be just fine. These are some of the reasons coaches including coach wells speak so fondly of football junkies. This is because when they are taught correct principles they govern themselves according to plan and as such are considered dependable and consistent and become individuals overtime that you can when games with.

I do think that it will take time getting back to that frame of mind as it almost needs to be retaught, at least from my personal perspective. Again I think a big ships take time to turn and as a result will require patience going into the next few years of Aggie Football.
Kyle - thanks for insight! I loved the podcast and absolutely love having you on the post game show. I wish you could ask coach some of the tough questions you alluded to in the podcast. I guess I just feel like we are past the point of fixing our problems. Do you really think MW and company can right the ship? I guess we will know more after next three games. I will be anxiously waiting to hear your thoughts as we wind down the season.

***Kyle Whimpey***

Post by ***Kyle Whimpey*** » November 10th, 2016, 9:38 pm

Elkaggie wrote:
Agzrule wrote:I love Kyle Whimpey, he used to live across the street from me. He will say it like it is. You won't find a truer Aggie. I think he is spot on with his opinions.

I was thinking the exact same thing as I listened. For some reason, as been mentioned before, MW doesn't like having ex-players around program or on staff. Pretty bizarre but true.
It is not that he hates or dislikes having former players around the program, because he loves those guys that we have discussed that have moved on via graduation as well as guys with that frame of mind who are still with the program. I just through the idea of infusing that mentality back into the program through brining guys that it makes sense to bring back, back as a possible anecdote. I think that is why we saw coach A do this at OSU. He brought guys like Chuckie, Al, Bojay and others around the program in an official capacity to rub off on the guys and assist in a very real way in the inevitable resurgence of that program. I simply made the observation that this could be one of the things that we try to chase the ever so illusive confidence/mindset that it requires to win at a consistent clip. We have current players who have that same mindset but the ratio from a "mindset : lack of mindset" standpoint is off when compared to 2011, 12, 13 and 14. This was a point in time in aggie football history, where guys that were recruited first were evaluated for "frame of mind congruence" who may or may not have been "game ready". Those who were not game ready were "Aggie Built" and prepared for their moment in time when they would be expected to make plays and win games. I think we need to get back to that frame of mind congruence sifting and press forward from there.

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » November 10th, 2016, 10:29 pm

Kyle, I can also remember Kevin pointing out how at the USC games, alot of the scrubs who get little to no playing time were just acting happy to wear a uniform at that stadium and not care we lost, and that if they dressed, they need to be focused on the game and not smile when we are losing by 31. He even slipped and said one word he shouldn't, then replaced it with another.

And one thing we should have seen as a warning sign that the entitlement mentality would be coming in a few years was at the luncheon after the win in Provo, someone asked about the players celebrating at halftime and needing to refocus. And Wells told us that it was mostly the kids who get little to no playing time that were celebrating excessively, but the kids who play alot calmed them down and told them we needed to keep going. But look where we are now that the kids who played alot that year are gone and the kids were scrubs that year are now starters.

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » November 10th, 2016, 10:33 pm

***Kyle Whimpey*** wrote:
Elkaggie wrote:

It is not that he hates or dislikes having former players around the program, because he loves those guys that we have discussed that have moved on via graduation as well as guys with that frame of mind who are still with the program. I just through the idea of infusing that mentality back into the program through brining guys that it makes sense to bring back, back as a possible anecdote. I think that is why we saw coach A do this at OSU. He brought guys like Chuckie, Al, Bojay and others around the program in an official capacity to rub off on the guys and assist in a very real way in the inevitable resurgence of that program. I simply made the observation that this could be one of the things that we try to chase the ever so illusive confidence/mindset that it requires to win at a consistent clip. We have current players who have that same mindset but the ratio from a "mindset : lack of mindset" standpoint is off when compared to 2011, 12, 13 and 14. This was a point in time in aggie football history, where guys that were recruited first were evaluated for "frame of mind congruence" who may or may not have been "game ready". Those who were not game ready were "Aggie Built" and prepared for their moment in time when they would be expected to make plays and win games. I think we need to get back to that frame of mind congruence sifting and press forward from there.
Very well said. I guess I was confused because you mentioned your brother wanted to be a grad assistant but coach Wells hasn't returned his phone calls plus we don't seem to see those players around for some reason like we did when GA was here. I agree with you though we have definitely lost that mentality. Thanks again for your post/comments. It's nice to hear from a players point of view!

Locked Previous topicNext topic