Is there any excitement for the BYU game?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Imakeitrain

Re: Is there any excitement for the BYU game?

Post by Imakeitrain » November 22nd, 2016, 7:40 am

hickaggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:Would you rather lose every game every year, except beating BYU once a year? Or would you rather win every game and lose to BYU every year?

I know my answer. Gary's last season was my favorite- but we lost to BYU that year. I'd take that trade-off every single time. Lose an entertaining game to BYU, but finish as a very well respected & ranked team. I'd rather be MWC Champions than beat BYU. Who knows maybe we beat BYU, there is a reason we play the game. However, we aren't going bowling, we aren't close to a Conference championship.

If we beat BYU and finish with 4 wins, would anyone on here call the season a success? I think it is perfectly rational not to be too excited about the game. Our season is essentially over and this game is a formality. Regardless of the outcome, BYU will be headed to their bowl and our guys will be setting up punch bowls at their parent's houses for the holidays.

It's a bit of a depressing thought. I hope the team festers over it in the off season and next year comes out swinging. I hope they use the motivation to keep improving.
What are you smoking. They need to improve before they can keep improving. They won't. This team is done even if they pull off a miracle in Provo. I don't know about the snowflake generation dynamics of a mean coach, but I sure as hell know the dynamics of having a coach everyone knows is an idiot, who can't run an offense, and who plays a receiver at QB with a stud athlete who actually is a QB sitting. It sucks the care factor right out of the D and receivers. Matt's O-line never had any of that to begin with so nothing changes there.
My intention was to point out that this season is 1 game away from being over. If the team takes a failed season to heart maybe next year they can have a good season. If they keep acting like they had anything to do with Gary'a last season and keep
fooling themselves into believing they are good at football we will cobtinud to regress. It's a crossroads. Improve or regress that is it. It's binary.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » November 22nd, 2016, 8:41 am

Imakeitrain wrote:
hickaggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:Would you rather lose every game every year, except beating BYU once a year? Or would you rather win every game and lose to BYU every year?

I know my answer. Gary's last season was my favorite- but we lost to BYU that year. I'd take that trade-off every single time. Lose an entertaining game to BYU, but finish as a very well respected & ranked team. I'd rather be MWC Champions than beat BYU. Who knows maybe we beat BYU, there is a reason we play the game. However, we aren't going bowling, we aren't close to a Conference championship.

If we beat BYU and finish with 4 wins, would anyone on here call the season a success? I think it is perfectly rational not to be too excited about the game. Our season is essentially over and this game is a formality. Regardless of the outcome, BYU will be headed to their bowl and our guys will be setting up punch bowls at their parent's houses for the holidays.

It's a bit of a depressing thought. I hope the team festers over it in the off season and next year comes out swinging. I hope they use the motivation to keep improving.
What are you smoking. They need to improve before they can keep improving. They won't. This team is done even if they pull off a miracle in Provo. I don't know about the snowflake generation dynamics of a mean coach, but I sure as hell know the dynamics of having a coach everyone knows is an idiot, who can't run an offense, and who plays a receiver at QB with a stud athlete who actually is a QB sitting. It sucks the care factor right out of the D and receivers. Matt's O-line never had any of that to begin with so nothing changes there.
My intention was to point out that this season is 1 game away from being over. If the team takes a failed season to heart maybe next year they can have a good season. If they keep acting like they had anything to do with Gary'a last season and keep
fooling themselves into believing they are good at football we will cobtinud to regress. It's a crossroads. Improve or regress that is it. It's binary.
As I said before any chance of that happening will depend on who comes out at QB because the changes have to start at the top and there is no logical reason for Matt Wells to play Meyers Saturday. Wells can find out how Hobbs reacts against a good defense and perhaps create a situation where he has the opportunity for 5-6 wins instead of the 1-3 he'll get with Meyers. We will know with the first series and I don't even care to watch the game or any future Aggie game until Wells is gone if #2 comes out. If he does its just deathwatch for the Aggies and Wells. If Wells tries something different maybe he buys another year after 2016.

I contend that with a semi-competent QB this team has 5-7 wins despite all of the garbage that has gone on and I think Hobbs could make that kind of difference next year even if he is below average. We'll probably never know though.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 22nd, 2016, 10:00 am

I don't totally agree with the sentiment that Hobbs is far superior to Myers. I've seen what Hobbs can do with extended time and saw some good stuff, but I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe that he would completely transform our offense.

JSHarvey

Post by JSHarvey » November 22nd, 2016, 10:18 am

Am I excited for the game? Yes. Am I hoping we win? Yes. Do I expect to win? No.

"The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it." Lawrence Krauss

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, that's why so few people do it!" Henry Ford

Jjoey52

Post by Jjoey52 » November 22nd, 2016, 12:13 pm

Yawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

Imakeitrain

Post by Imakeitrain » November 22nd, 2016, 5:21 pm

hickaggie wrote:
Imakeitrain wrote:
hickaggie wrote:

As I said before any chance of that happening will depend on who comes out at QB because the changes have to start at the top and there is no logical reason for Matt Wells to play Meyers Saturday. Wells can find out how Hobbs reacts against a good defense and perhaps create a situation where he has the opportunity for 5-6 wins instead of the 1-3 he'll get with Meyers. We will know with the first series and I don't even care to watch the game or any future Aggie game until Wells is gone if #2 comes out. If he does its just deathwatch for the Aggies and Wells. If Wells tries something different maybe he buys another year after 2016.

I contend that with a semi-competent QB this team has 5-7 wins despite all of the garbage that has gone on and I think Hobbs could make that kind of difference next year even if he is below average. We'll probably never know though.
With Hobbs at QB this year we would have won Nevada, Air Force, CSU, and New Mexico.

Here is the boldest- I think we would have been somewhat competitive against Boise and Wyoming too. I remember the Boise game, and Myers was getting balls batted down by the dline left and right. I really liked how Hobbs extended plays. We lost the Boise game 21-10. That game was 7-3 donkeys at half. With Hobbs in the team just seemed better. Hobbs runs an option better than Myers too. With less balls batted down, and the improved option-run game with Lindsey- I think it's doable to take more time off the clock, have less 3 and outs and score a touchdown or 2 more than we did. If it's 2 more (and assuming we missed xp- check out what the score would have been). Easier said than done, but scoring 22 points in a game isn't a tall order.

glendayle
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by glendayle » November 22nd, 2016, 9:39 pm

mcaggie1 wrote:We are going to win, 3-2
That's pretty optimistic to project a win that would have any reliance on a kicking game.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

swordsman1989

Post by swordsman1989 » November 23rd, 2016, 10:06 am

No, there is no excitement...

aggiefan444

Post by aggiefan444 » November 23rd, 2016, 12:52 pm

Come on the morons over at boogarboard are expecting us to be excited for our"Bowl game"

MalAgua

Post by MalAgua » November 23rd, 2016, 1:20 pm

Doesn't matter how we feel, they will believe we are anyways. That's the funny thing about being completely delusional

Servo

Post by Servo » November 23rd, 2016, 5:14 pm

Well, they're still not in the Big 12. Just trying to find some silver lining.

I'm not biased. I mock everybody.

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » November 23rd, 2016, 5:24 pm

It would have been awesome to play a bowl game against a Big 12 team.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » November 23rd, 2016, 8:13 pm

aggiefan444 wrote:Come on the morons over at boogarboard are expecting us to be excited for our"Bowl game"
I'm not surprised that talk is going on over there but honestly I bet most of the zoobie fans liked it better when we had more confidence in our team.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » November 24th, 2016, 11:41 am

NVAggie wrote:It would have been awesome to play a bowl game against a Big 12 team.
Well played my old friend :golfclap:

Locked Previous topicNext topic