What would Gary do?

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

What would Gary do?

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 4th, 2017, 2:15 pm

While reflecting on this past football season I thought about how sluggish the defense seemed to look at times. The problems were even worse on offense, but I was just focusing on defense. I asked myself, "what would Gary do to fix it?"

Compared to some Aggie defenses of the recent past, we have what looked to be a weak LB corp with an abundance of guys there and an overall lack of speed. I think we have some decent size at LB and potential talent (maybe?). I think Gary would've taken some of these guys and had them put on a few lbs and move them down to the D line and coached them up. That then clears up the numbers problem we have at LB and creates room for some new guys there. Then, the coaches can go out and land us some LB's that can have an impact (we may already have one that signed last month).

Personally, I think Justus Te'i (6'3" 230 lb FR), Dalton Baker (6'4" 240 lb RS FR), and Logan Lee (6'3" 245 lb FR) are all pretty prime candidates to be told to gain some pounds this off season and learn how to become a DE. Dalton Baker actually played DE in high school.

This is a change I think Gary would make if he looked at our defense right now.

40Aggie
Has thanked: 0

Re: What would Gary do?

Post by 40Aggie » January 4th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Wells definitely doesn't have the eye that GA had to move kids to another position, add or take away a little weight, coach them up and make them successful. I do agree with your assessment with Baker and Lee, those two could easily add weight to their frame and make the transition to DE. I think I'd keep Te'i at linebacker, I have high hopes that David Woodward can help immediately next season at LB, and hopefully Tobeck as well. I think Woodward has a very high ceiling and looks to be the best recruit in that class. His game reminds me a lot of Nick Vigil's. Do we have anyone else that can help fill the talent gap at linebacker?

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 4th, 2017, 3:57 pm

Matt claims GA showed him the blueprint for success... apparently he didn't get a copy of the blueprint... or it got thrown in the trash

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Elkaggie

Post by Elkaggie » January 4th, 2017, 3:59 pm

Great post and discussion. I like the idea. GA seemed to move guys to different positions and had success doing it. I don't recall MW doing this?!
Last year our LB's got worked over in the run game. Te'i was good on occasion, seemed a little timid at times but I think he will get better same with Derek Larsen. Anthony Williams was by far and away our best LB last year, but often seemed to sit half of some games for some reason or another (disciplined maybe). Huerta was a huge disappointment imo. We need to upgrade this position big time to win. This position also lacked the speed we have had in the past. Uisake was way to slow for the position imo. He would have been a better DE.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 4th, 2017, 4:39 pm

ViAggie wrote:Matt claims GA showed him the blueprint for success... apparently he didn't get a copy of the blueprint... or it got thrown in the trash
It worked for 2 years. Hard to stay on top forever.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 4th, 2017, 5:01 pm

Lee was moved to DE during the season. Hopefully that allowed him to put on some weight as he redshirted. I'd like to see Tobeck and Tei move down. Not sure how Baker's diabetes would do with a major weight gain. I would then like to see Swenson and Gajkowski move down a level to LB. Gary was all about getting that speed there by moving guys down a level. I'd like to see Wildman on the OL while we're at it. He seems blocked on the DL.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 4th, 2017, 5:10 pm

BustaMcNutt wrote:Lee was moved to DE during the season. Hopefully that allowed him to put on some weight as he redshirted. I'd like to see Tobeck and Tei move down. Not sure how Baker's diabetes would do with a major weight gain. I would then like to see Swenson and Gajkowski move down a level to LB. Gary was all about getting that speed there by moving guys down a level. I'd like to see Wildman on the OL while we're at it. He seems blocked on the DL.
Thanks for the info. I don't think Baker really needs to gain much weight. Looking at the list of the top 25 DE's according to NFLdraftscout.com, 10 of them weighed 260 lbs or less. I think you could definitely get away with a 250 lb DE in the mountain west. Especially if he is fast at that position.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » January 4th, 2017, 5:38 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
ViAggie wrote:Matt claims GA showed him the blueprint for success... apparently he didn't get a copy of the blueprint... or it got thrown in the trash
it worked with GA's recruits, yes. But I don't think the blueprint is being followed...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Mediocre at Best
Has thanked: 0

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 4th, 2017, 6:43 pm

Agree this is a good post that provokes considerable thought. Need to do some creative patch work...seems too one directional however...moving existing backer crew to other positions...this probably has been the most shocking development for me how we got s bad at that position so fast. I wish it was just a matter of coaching but the existing guys although big hearts and desires just are athletic enough to play the position at least in the MW. I have seen kids lacking in speed do well at the position making up for it with intellect and anticipation...sadly our guys lack the size, speed, agility, and intellect...the game is just simply too fast for them physically and mentally. Not sure what the solution is other than making some type of scheme adjustments, beefing up a safety or two...taking a DE and teaching them. We do not need to panic because the offense is going to improve big time which will take pressure off the D. We will be bowl bound albeit with perhaps not a sterling win-loss record and can rebuild the LB position getting back up to high Aggie standards.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 4th, 2017, 11:04 pm

swishh_15 wrote:While reflecting on this past football season I thought about how sluggish the defense seemed to look at times. The problems were even worse on offense, but I was just focusing on defense. I asked myself, "what would Gary do to fix it?"

Compared to some Aggie defenses of the recent past, we have what looked to be a weak LB corp with an abundance of guys there and an overall lack of speed. I think we have some decent size at LB and potential talent (maybe?). I think Gary would've taken some of these guys and had them put on a few lbs and move them down to the D line and coached them up. That then clears up the numbers problem we have at LB and creates room for some new guys there. Then, the coaches can go out and land us some LB's that can have an impact (we may already have one that signed last month).

Personally, I think Justus Te'i (6'3" 230 lb FR), Dalton Baker (6'4" 240 lb RS FR), and Logan Lee (6'3" 245 lb FR) are all pretty prime candidates to be told to gain some pounds this off season and learn how to become a DE. Dalton Baker actually played DE in high school.

This is a change I think Gary would make if he looked at our defense right now.
Very good post; thanks for your insights.

bigblue
Pick'em Champ - '12 Kickoff; '16 Bowl; '19 WTHCG; '19 BB Predict The Score

Post by bigblue » January 4th, 2017, 11:38 pm

I think what was discussed in this thread about changes that would be good for the defense is good talking points.

But I'm sorry. The whole "What would Gary do" element reminds me of a heart broken guy thinking about the "what ifs" with his ex.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well the universe is shaped exactly like the earth
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 5th, 2017, 12:03 am

ViAggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
it worked with GA's recruits, yes. But I don't think the blueprint is being followed...
Hard to know how good we would be if Gary stayed. USU is not an easy place to win at. I'm willing to give Wells another year to right the ship.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2017, 12:23 am

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
Hard to know how good we would be if Gary stayed. USU is not an easy place to win at. I'm willing to give Wells another year to right the ship.
It will be his last year.

bigblue

Post by bigblue » January 5th, 2017, 12:31 am

USUBlue wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
That's an exceptionally "positive" post.

USUBlue
13=13

Post by USUBlue » January 5th, 2017, 12:47 am

bigblue wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:

I agree -- having Wells getting fired will allow USU to find a better HC and start winning conference championships in FBall. Go Aggies

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 5th, 2017, 1:58 am

It might not be his last year if Yost improves the offense as much as some believe. Unless they do the college version of what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did last year when their offensive coordinator started getting offers from other places. They fired their HC and promoted the OC. I doubt USU would pull that move. If USU improves next year it means Wells will stay.

dyedblue

Post by dyedblue » January 5th, 2017, 6:46 am

Gary would have taken the money and run two years ago.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

“The winning team has a dedication. It will have a core of veteran players who set the standards. They will not accept defeat.” --Merlin Olsen

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 5th, 2017, 6:58 am

bigblue wrote:I think what was discussed in this thread about changes that would be good for the defense is good talking points.

But I'm sorry. The whole "What would Gary do" element reminds me of a heart broken guy thinking about the "what ifs" with his ex.

I knew this response would come, so I already had a reply. We've won 11 games in a season once in our entire history. It's fun to speculate on what the man who was our coach would that would do with some of the current problems we are facing.

To add to that, it has nothing to doing with being heart broken and being someone's "ex". It's merely speculating and a discussion about trying to predict things a coach that was very successful in this situation would've done.

bigblue

Post by bigblue » January 5th, 2017, 8:06 am

swishh_15 wrote:
bigblue wrote:I think what was discussed in this thread about changes that would be good for the defense is good talking points.

I knew this response would come, so I already had a reply. We've won 11 games in a season once in our entire history. It's fun to speculate on what the man who was our coach would that would do with some of the current problems we are facing.

To add to that, it has nothing to doing with being heart broken and being someone's "ex". It's merely speculating and a discussion about trying to predict things a coach that was very successful in this situation would've done.
Meh, I don't see the Gary element as "fun."

But good points on the defense. I really hope what you mentioned gets implemented for next year. The way the defense was soft, a good shake up is needed.

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » January 5th, 2017, 8:53 am

bigblue wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:

Whenever I see you're photo avatar bigblue I think ..... "amateurs"

bigblue

Post by bigblue » January 5th, 2017, 8:57 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
bigblue wrote:
USUBlue wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:
ViAggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:

Whenever I see you're photo avatar bigblue I think ..... "amateurs"
Best. Movie. Ever.

Chatman

Post by Chatman » January 5th, 2017, 9:23 am

dyedblue wrote:Gary would have taken the money and run two years ago.

True, at least he would have had money to take.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 5th, 2017, 10:00 am

dyedblue wrote:Gary would have taken the money and run two years ago.

Matt would have too....if anybody wanted him.

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » January 5th, 2017, 8:21 pm

Aggie in Hawaii wrote:It might not be his last year if Yost improves the offense as much as some believe. Unless they do the college version of what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did last year when their offensive coordinator started getting offers from other places. They fired their HC and promoted the OC. I doubt USU would pull that move. If USU improves next year it means Wells will stay.
That's like saying the grass is green in the Spring. I agree the Aggies have a lot more talent among the skilled positions than they showed. One factor involved was Wells and Myer. The second is the O-line. Three things must happen for your captian obvious comment to come to fruition.
1. Wells must give up any influence on the offense.
2. The Aggies must have a QB ready to go on their roster that can learn Yost's style and do what he envisions.
3. The technique, attitude, nastiness, and athleticism of the Oline must improve drastically and immediately.

1 and 2 are unknowns. The speculation around the hire is that Wells is pretty much ordered to stay away so maybe that one. The second we have no idea but know that Myers cannot do the things a QB must (audible, read defenses, sense pressure, or go through progressions and we know that at least in Wells opinion he was still the best QB on the roster. Doesn't bode well unless Wells is out to lunch which he may be.

#3 though is where I get hung up. The O-line has bad technique and "give a damn" and that might be fixed. Watching them though I don't think they have the athleticism, particularly at tackle to make drastic improvements.

I sure hope people have a clue and understand that this team was a very bad team that STILL should have won 7 games because of the even worse haplessness of their opponents. Had they won 7 games they would have been the same bad team with slightly better luck. This team just by the averages and pure luck should win 7 games next year. in such a case, Wells should still be fired because it is bad football with a team that barely cares.

Likewise, in the extreme event that attitude and "renewed give a crap" result in a team that plays crisp intense football, wins 7 games convincingly, and has 3-4 losses because the ball bouncing the wrong way and true growing pains then Wells should stay.

I was attacked all over here for reversing my opinion on Wells after the Aggies Fresno win against a dumpster fire team with its coach on deathwatch. The aggies played like absolute crap fundamentally and emotionally in that game and it was easy to see watching it that the team was done with Wells even if they won a close game or two after that. They didn't even do that of course.

I hope Wells rights the ship and I further hope that if he does or doesn't we don't judge him because we eek out a winning season with the same crap or barely get a winning season in the win-loss column but see a rejuvenation and budding of a team ready to learn how to win.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » January 5th, 2017, 9:07 pm

hickaggie wrote:
Aggie in Hawaii wrote:It might not be his last year if Yost improves the offense as much as some believe. Unless they do the college version of what the Tampa Bay Buccaneers did last year when their offensive coordinator started getting offers from other places. They fired their HC and promoted the OC. I doubt USU would pull that move. If USU improves next year it means Wells will stay.
That's like saying the grass is green in the Spring. I agree the Aggies have a lot more talent among the skilled positions than they showed. One factor involved was Wells and Myer. The second is the O-line. Three things must happen for your captian obvious comment to come to fruition.
2. The Aggies must have a QB ready to go on their roster that can learn Yost's style and do what he envisions.
3. The technique, attitude, nastiness, and athleticism of the Oline must improve drastically and immediately.

1 and 2 are unknowns. The speculation around the hire is that Wells is pretty much ordered to stay away so maybe that one. The second we have no idea but know that Myers cannot do the things a QB must (audible, read defenses, sense pressure, or go through progressions and we know that at least in Wells opinion he was still the best QB on the roster. Doesn't bode well unless Wells is out to lunch which he may be.

#3 though is where I get hung up. The O-line has bad technique and "give a damn" and that might be fixed. Watching them though I don't think they have the athleticism, particularly at tackle to make drastic improvements.

I sure hope people have a clue and understand that this team was a very bad team that STILL should have won 7 games because of the even worse haplessness of their opponents. Had they won 7 games they would have been the same bad team with slightly better luck. This team just by the averages and pure luck should win 7 games next year. in such a case, Wells should still be fired because it is bad football with a team that barely cares.

Likewise, in the extreme event that attitude and "renewed give a crap" result in a team that plays crisp intense football, wins 7 games convincingly, and has 3-4 losses because the ball bouncing the wrong way and true growing pains then Wells should stay.

I was attacked all over here for reversing my opinion on Wells after the Aggies Fresno win against a dumpster fire team with its coach on deathwatch. The aggies played like absolute crap fundamentally and emotionally in that game and it was easy to see watching it that the team was done with Wells even if they won a close game or two after that. They didn't even do that of course.

I hope Wells rights the ship and I further hope that if he does or doesn't we don't judge him because we eek out a winning season with the same crap or barely get a winning season in the win-loss column but see a rejuvenation and budding of a team ready to learn how to win.
Spot on post Hick. What I am looking forward to most is to see how our offense improves. If what you're stating (based on your info) about Wells staying away from the offense is true, then I don't see how our offense couldn't improve drastically. (Because it was just so awful. Embarrassing) Obviously there's a ton of time until football starts again, but I can't wait so see what happens at QB. Maybe Hobbs starts (he can actually read a defense) his senior year and does pretty well. We redshirt Columbi and then between Love and Columbi the two will have to fight for the starting positions in the coming seasons.

We won't know for a loooooong time.

Aggie formerly in Hawaii

Post by Aggie formerly in Hawaii » January 6th, 2017, 12:54 pm

hickaggie wrote:

It wasn't captain obvious. He put a definitive statement that it would be Wells last season. I countered. That is how a message board works. And if he eeks out a winning season, he will rightfully be judged positively as most coaches are who improve a team by 4 games in just a 12 game season. That is "obvious."

GameFAQSAggie

Post by GameFAQSAggie » January 6th, 2017, 1:15 pm

He's not going to be fired for going 7-5, even if 3 or 4 of the wins are close and all five losses are blowouts.

Locked Previous topicNext topic