Eltoro Allen commits to USU

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Roy McAvoy

Eltoro Allen commits to USU

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 22nd, 2017, 2:10 pm

This is our junior college running back for this class. He visited this weekend and committed. No other D1 offers that are known about at least. He is really excited to be here though. Let's hope he is hungry and can contribute.

http://www.scout.com/player/212757-eltoro-allen

Last year at Riverside CC he averaged 83 yards per game and 6.7 yards per carry.

BigSkyAG

Re: Eltoro Allen commits to USU

Post by BigSkyAG » January 22nd, 2017, 6:07 pm

"The Bull" Allen. that guy was destined to become an aggie.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » January 22nd, 2017, 6:08 pm

Hmmm. Looks like another undersized back. I'm guessing they don't expect Morian Walker to get the start?

I.M.Noone
Has thanked: 0

Post by I.M.Noone » January 22nd, 2017, 8:28 pm

Looks good. Fast. Reminds me of Kerwynn Williams. Yost should know how to take advantage of that speed.

Warning! Don't read this post. It's garbage.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 22nd, 2017, 8:40 pm

Maybe a titch undersized but have been following him since high school. The kid is Michael Smith fast. His ability to contribute at least in the existing offensive scheme is dependent on Kent Myers mastery of the read option which was less than impressive last year. Myers poor reads and slow decision making make our running backs look more inept than they are. Justen Hervey is a much better back than what we think...crippled by Myers misreads. Allen would do well in the backfield with Hobbs running the read option. This was a very good pick up late in the game. We missed out on a couple of killer backs out of CA but this is not a bad consolation prize. What makes Eltoro attractive even at 195 pounds is high end speed and striding it out once he gets to the open field. Beautiful to watch.

BleedAggieBlue0
Pick'em Champ - '14 Bowl

Post by BleedAggieBlue0 » January 22nd, 2017, 8:48 pm

Don't know how accurate this is, but he really reminds me of Tavarreon Dickerson (sp?). I think he should come in and compete immediately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 22nd, 2017, 9:07 pm

He really didn't have any other offers?

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » January 22nd, 2017, 10:30 pm

I don't see that he brings any more than what we have in others already on the roster but at the least I guess he offers depth and at the best perhaps a larger role in the offense. I really wish we would set our sights on a different build of a back to compliment the ones we have that are all about this same size.

He looks to have okay speed, better than Hunt but not as fast as Hervey. The competition at RB should be pretty open, let's hope someone steps forward and takes charge of that position.

Mediocre at Best

Post by Mediocre at Best » January 23rd, 2017, 6:21 am

Those recruiters I have spoken too are scared off by what looks to be "inaccurate" 40 yard dash times outliers at 4.6 plus maybe even 4.7. He is a 4.5 guy with that cliché but nonetheless true good "game speed." The kid is fast and Agilicious is spot on with the Hervey look alike and wishing for a different build of back as what gets recruited except DM. I don't fault MW for this as he is addicted to explosives and the problem is not so much the backs but the personnel to help pop these guys at least against MW competition. Our backs have quite a bit of talent actually and it is one of the view positions where that have been well coached. The system due to personnel not being able to make that system work has been most of the problem.

mcaggie1

Post by mcaggie1 » January 23rd, 2017, 9:41 am

Worries me a little.....no ranking, no stars, and no other offers.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 23rd, 2017, 10:13 am

Videos look good.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/2720772/eltoro-allen

Riverside City College was a good team. Finished 10-2. Allen split carries with Seth Acda (both went over 1000 yards in 2016). Looks like Acda usually got more carries.

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » January 23rd, 2017, 10:38 am

I agree with the Kerwynn comparison. Once he hits the crease, he's gone like Kerwynn. I like it. I wouldn't mind if he redshirted just to break up the classes and spread out the talent.

I.M.Noone

Post by I.M.Noone » January 23rd, 2017, 11:20 am

2004AG wrote:He really didn't have any other offers?

No. Neither did Michael Smith.

2004AG

Post by 2004AG » January 23rd, 2017, 11:39 am

I.M.Noone wrote:

Ok.

Providing an exception is just that, an exception. Kinda like Stanford trying to compare Tim Duryea to Dean Smith.

I have no idea if he can play or not. Recruiting players that nobody else thought was good enough does raise a red flag.

Let's hope he's another one of those diamonds in the rough.

Roy McAvoy

Post by Roy McAvoy » January 23rd, 2017, 12:00 pm

I just can't believe we're using one of the spots on a JC RB with no other offers. I'm guessing there's no real significant difference here between him and Lindsey, Hervey, Hunt.

O-line is where we really need the help and I wish we would've taken a shot at another JC Offensive Lineman. We have to improve there and the more guys we bring in the chances increase that one of them can actually play.

I.M.Noone

Post by I.M.Noone » January 23rd, 2017, 12:55 pm

2004AG wrote:
I.M.Noone wrote:

Ok.

Providing an exception is just that, an exception. Kinda like Stanford trying to compare Tim Duryea to Dean Smith.

I have no idea if he can play or not. Recruiting players that nobody else thought was good enough does raise a red flag.

Yeah, using that exception thing bothers me too when someone does it. Sorry.

I realize you don't get a good football team by recruiting a whole roster of diamonds in the rough, sleepers, and under the radars. I also know that Matt Wells is no where near as good as Andersen was at evaluating talent and finding those types of recruits and that he probably signs a lot of them because that's all he can get. But I like this kid based on what I see. It's like art. I don't know what it is, but I know what I like. I'm also ok with this one because I think that Yost is having a say in offensive recruiting and he has an eye for talent.

hipsterdoofus21
Mr. Buttface

Post by hipsterdoofus21 » January 23rd, 2017, 1:54 pm

I hope he turns out to be Michael Smith, but we really need some bigger backs to grind out yards.

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » January 23rd, 2017, 2:11 pm

I.M.Noone wrote:
2004AG wrote:
I.M.Noone wrote:

Ok.

Yeah, using that exception thing bothers me too when someone does it. Sorry.

I realize you don't get a good football team by recruiting a whole roster of diamonds in the rough, sleepers, and under the radars. I also know that Matt Wells is no where near as good as Andersen was at evaluating talent and finding those types of recruits and that he probably signs a lot of them because that's all he can get. But I like this kid based on what I see. It's like art. I don't know what it is, but I know what I like. I'm also ok with this one because I think that Yost is having a say in offensive recruiting and he has an eye for talent.
Good points by all. I don't mind taking a recruit or two without offers. You get into trouble when that's a majority of your signing class. As one of those "exceptions" Ron'Quavion Tarver only held a USU offer last year. He turned out alright and will be a good player for us. As long as we keep the number of those guys low, I think it's a smart thing to do, especially if the kid has the frame/physical tools to develop.

brownjeans
Flatulent

Post by brownjeans » January 23rd, 2017, 2:29 pm

It seems that most our best Aggies of the recent era only had offers from USU or had no offer (walkons). But it could be that those guys just stick in my memory more.

I.M.Noone

Post by I.M.Noone » January 23rd, 2017, 4:17 pm

hipsterdoofus21 wrote:I hope he turns out to be Michael Smith, but we really need some bigger backs to grind out yards.
Walker is listed at 6'1" 210 on the roster. He had an offer from Wyoming. Tre Miller, the incoming freshman, is listed at 6'1" 215. He had an offer from BYU. It's good to have big backs, it's good to have backs with speed.

Pumphrey from SDSU is 5'9" 170/180. We could use a better OL too.
Last edited by I.M.Noone on January 23rd, 2017, 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » January 23rd, 2017, 4:18 pm

His blocking appears to be better than any of our backs'. I especially liked how he picked up the blitz.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » January 23rd, 2017, 4:38 pm

swishh_15 wrote:I just can't believe we're using one of the spots on a JC RB with no other offers. I'm guessing there's no real significant difference here between him and Lindsey, Hervey, Hunt.

O-line is where we really need the help and I wish we would've taken a shot at another JC Offensive Lineman. We have to improve there and the more guys we bring in the chances increase that one of them can actually play.
Normally I would be with you on this assessment. However, with Yost as our new OC I believe he will find a way to make us efficient, even with a semi par (or sucky) OL. If we can find speed we can improve. If I could describe our performance in one word last season? Slow. Basically The only excitement I have about football is seeing what Yost will do. And maybe I can admit that Wells is a good coach, and NOT a good coordinator or play caller.

Locked Previous topicNext topic