No BYU in 2021

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
ProvoAggie
Site Admin

No BYU in 2021

Post by ProvoAggie » February 2nd, 2017, 6:53 pm

Just a small tidbit out of last nights Signing Day Event. Hartwell announced that after the current contract with BYU ends in 2020 we will take a year off in order to get BYU and Boise in Logan during alternating seasons.

AggieDude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: No BYU in 2021

Post by AggieDude » February 2nd, 2017, 6:54 pm

Fine by me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

jackmormon
RIP

Post by jackmormon » February 2nd, 2017, 6:56 pm

I think that's a good idea...

BustaMcNutt

Post by BustaMcNutt » February 2nd, 2017, 6:58 pm

Any other nuggets from last night? It seems like they're not going to post it like last year.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 2nd, 2017, 7:04 pm

ProvoAggie wrote:Just a small tidbit out of last nights Signing Day Event. Hartwell announced that after the current contract with BYU ends in 2020 we will take a year off in order to get BYU and Boise in Logan during alternating seasons.
Wait, did you actually see Hartwell? I just need verification that he indeed is real.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 2nd, 2017, 7:06 pm

Aglicious wrote:
ProvoAggie wrote:Just a small tidbit out of last nights Signing Day Event. Hartwell announced that after the current contract with BYU ends in 2020 we will take a year off in order to get BYU and Boise in Logan during alternating seasons.
Wait, did you actually see Hartwell? I just need verification that he indeed is real.
I did see Hartwell. In fact I've met him more times than I ever met Barnes.

Jjoey52

No BYU in 2021

Post by Jjoey52 » February 2nd, 2017, 7:50 pm

No big deal skipping a year, good long term. Certainly better than giving them 2 in a row.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“Apathy and tolerance are the final virtues of a dying society.” - Aristotle

GeoAg

Post by GeoAg » February 2nd, 2017, 7:50 pm

Hartwell is a good AD. The reason you don't know him is because he is only half the self-promoter Barnes was.

"You guys have sacrificed in ways you've never sacrificed before. You've given more. You expect more...Tonight is our opportunity to write the story of who this family, who this program, who this team will be" -Coach Blake Anderson

newhouse9

Post by newhouse9 » February 2nd, 2017, 8:06 pm

Hartwell engages with fans. I spoke with him last night; he even remembers names!

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 2nd, 2017, 8:11 pm

Aglicious wrote:
You may want to make it out to more aggie athletic events, he's at every. Single. One of them

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 2nd, 2017, 9:28 pm

Licious, I guess we will need to drive up.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » February 2nd, 2017, 10:02 pm

I have no problem with this.

ProvoAggie
Site Admin

Post by ProvoAggie » February 2nd, 2017, 10:03 pm

He'll be in Vegas for the basketball tournament.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

NVAggie
SJSU Ultimate Loser Award Winner - Given to someone that should probably give up but won't.

Post by NVAggie » February 2nd, 2017, 10:05 pm

Awesome. We'll have to invite him to a titty bar.

MWCFAN12

Post by MWCFAN12 » February 2nd, 2017, 10:44 pm

NVAggie wrote:Awesome. We'll have to invite him to a titty bar.

Just him ? Or are we all invited?

bleu

Post by bleu » February 2nd, 2017, 11:50 pm

I see John Hartwell it seems like every time I'm at a USU event. Maybe you don't know what he looks like or something? I've also met him many times and he is always very positive, very enthusiastic, and very professional. I'm a big fan.

Flying_Scotsman8

Post by Flying_Scotsman8 » February 3rd, 2017, 12:02 am

Don't be fooled. BYU is just trying to free up some space on that schedule for their H-H with Bama. Nama has been begging them for a while now. I think the crimson tide is still a little hurt from BYU rejecting that SEC invite that ESPN offered them.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 3rd, 2017, 12:28 am

I have no doubt Hartwell is at Aggie games or Aggie athletic functions that he is required to be at. My dig was in reference to his lack of promotion of the program to anyone on the outside. I'm sure he does a fine job with the same 20 people that show up to coaches luncheons and with boosters who are in or around CV that regularly attend other events.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 3rd, 2017, 7:41 am

MWCFAN12 wrote:

Let's get a roll call and I will find out.

ratofallaggies

Post by ratofallaggies » February 3rd, 2017, 9:10 am

Aglicious wrote:I have no doubt Hartwell is at Aggie games or Aggie athletic functions that he is required to be at. My dig was in reference to his lack of promotion of the program to anyone on the outside. I'm sure he does a fine job with the same 20 people that show up to coaches luncheons and with boosters who are in or around CV that regularly attend other events.
I'm really not trying to be rude, or pick on you, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I see/hear him doing a lot of the very thing that you're complaining about. To some, it seems like he just can't do right. Case and point would be that there were many on here that really wanted him to make a statement about what was going on with our coaching after the season ended and then complained about the statement that he did make to appease them....

gomretat

Post by gomretat » February 3rd, 2017, 9:12 am

I would not care if we never played BYU again in any sport. And Hartwell gets my vote for doing a great job.

USU78
Pick'em Champ - '16 Weekly

Post by USU78 » February 3rd, 2017, 9:17 am

That's an awfully long time to have to hold my breath

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Aglicious
Site Admin

Post by Aglicious » February 3rd, 2017, 1:27 pm

ratofallaggies wrote:
Aglicious wrote:I have no doubt Hartwell is at Aggie games or Aggie athletic functions that he is required to be at. My dig was in reference to his lack of promotion of the program to anyone on the outside. I'm sure he does a fine job with the same 20 people that show up to coaches luncheons and with boosters who are in or around CV that regularly attend other events.
I'm really not trying to be rude, or pick on you, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because I see/hear him doing a lot of the very thing that you're complaining about. To some, it seems like he just can't do right. Case and point would be that there were many on here that really wanted him to make a statement about what was going on with our coaching after the season ended and then complained about the statement that he did make to appease them....
I complimented him on that and was appreciative that he made a statement. What I don't understand is why the fans have to nearly coax the director of our athletics department into making such a statement about the status of our down trending football program. To me he should be proactively engaging the media and thus the entire fan base on a constant basis. I understand Barnes was a shameless self-promoter and therefore loved to be in the limelight but a byproduct of that was that he also put the Aggie brand out there. Listen, you are around Hartwell and have interactions with him on a far more frequent basis that I do so I believe you (and others in the same boat) that say he is doing a great job behind the scenes. Obviously he and Barnes have different approaches and personalities and perhaps he is excelling in areas where Barnes was failing, I don't know.

It doesn't help that his arrival has coincided with a noticeable decline in results on the field/court by the money sports and also a slow down in the facility upgrades that were rolling. Neither of these things are his fault or fair to hold him completely accountable for but it tends to shed a negative light on his tenure thus far nonetheless.

SLB

Post by SLB » February 4th, 2017, 12:24 am

Having no BYU on the 2021 schedule seems wrong. I like the Utah State vs BYU game in the sense that every year getting a shot at beating BYU.

Jayzep

Post by Jayzep » February 4th, 2017, 10:23 am

I'm old enough to be completely sick of that school and their fan base. I'm more then fine if we never play them again.

ususports

Post by ususports » February 4th, 2017, 2:09 pm

I am fine with the decision, as it would be nice to have BYU and Boise at home in different years. However, I have never understood the opinion of not wanting to play BYU ever again. The only value that brings is that we would never lose to them, which is better than actually losing to them, but not at the expense of never winning against them. If you think it would be a great idea to never play them again, go back and read all of the threads in 2014 when we thought we would be scheduling 2 FCS teams for our home schedule (before the Wake Forest game was announced). I understand that some of that scheduling was last minute due to Boise becoming a conference game, Utah buying out the home game, etc. However, Utah isn't coming back to Logan, so if we don't schedule BYU, there would be a lot of years with some very unexciting home schedules. Yes, there would be the occasional home and homes with the likes of Washington State, but I don't think we would be successful in getting one of those types of games every single year. History would support my skepticism.

AggiesForever
Pick'em Champ - '15 Kickoff

Post by AggiesForever » February 6th, 2017, 9:00 am

SLB wrote:Having no BYU on the 2021 schedule seems wrong. I like the Utah State vs BYU game in the sense that every year getting a shot at beating BYU.
Frankly, why do we care if we beat BYU? Will the Utah media suddenly give us our due? No. Will we start recruiting more kids away from BYU? Probably not? Will their fan base acknowledge anything we did as other than a fluke? So why do we care? They out spend us nearly 2 to 1. I would just as soon not have them on the schedule at all.

OKAggie

Post by OKAggie » February 6th, 2017, 9:27 am

AggiesForever wrote:
SLB wrote:Having no BYU on the 2021 schedule seems wrong. I like the Utah State vs BYU game in the sense that every year getting a shot at beating BYU.
Frankly, why do we care if we beat BYU? Will the Utah media suddenly give us our due? No. Will we start recruiting more kids away from BYU? Probably not? Will their fan base acknowledge anything we did as other than a fluke? So why do we care? They out spend us nearly 2 to 1. I would just as soon not have them on the schedule at all.
Because they're the best OOC team to come to Logan in the last 20 years or so? (I can't remember exactly the date of the Oregon game that Rance finagled.)

Because the portion of our alumni base (which many think is significant) that follows them because they'd rather follow a winner than the struggling Aggies might come home where they belong?

Because it's a good bellwether for the many fence-sitting fans who are more likely to buy tickets, season and otherwise, when we beat them.

Because it feels so good to feed those tithing sponges a dose of humble pie?

And yes I do think it would help in recruiting kids from there. Speculation only, but yeah... Impressing their fan base is about #17,699,834,002 on my giveacrap list.

You have to admit that the Utah media has gone from giving us no attention to some attention since the GA renaissance, which has corresponded with our improved play against the Y (and when they'll play us, the U).

If you can find another OOC, consistent top 50 program to play us home and home on a regular basis, then you'd have a case for telling them goodbye. But we can't simultaneously (I can't express myself without swearing) about our home schedule and attendance, and disclaim the best team and biggest draw willing to come to Merlin Olsen Field.

Nobody here knows anything.

Full

Post by Full » February 6th, 2017, 10:27 am

I think the AD can get the schedule fixed with the year off. We need to fill home games in 2018 and 2021 and home games in 2020 and 2021. If we can find a team willing to play in Logan in 2018 and wait until 2021 for the return, the scheduling zombies of the Wake Forest 2-1 will be removed. If there is a team willing to wait until 2021 it allows a series with an away game in 2020 with the return game in 2021. Great work by our AD as long as we sign home & homes.

usugoalie13

Post by usugoalie13 » February 7th, 2017, 4:00 am

NVAggie wrote:
MWCFAN12 wrote:

Let's get a roll call and I will find out.
Well I'm always up for that, but I can promise it's better in Alberta than the states. So you guys can come up here, and I'll take you and hartwell out.

NVAggie

Post by NVAggie » February 7th, 2017, 7:41 am

I need more info before making that call.

UtahStizzle

Post by UtahStizzle » February 14th, 2017, 4:29 pm

OKAggie wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
Because they're the best OOC team to come to Logan in the last 20 years or so? (I can't remember exactly the date of the Oregon game that Rance finagled.)

Because the portion of our alumni base (which many think is significant) that follows them because they'd rather follow a winner than the struggling Aggies might come home where they belong?

Because it's a good bellwether for the many fence-sitting fans who are more likely to buy tickets, season and otherwise, when we beat them.

Because it feels so good to feed those tithing sponges a dose of humble pie?

And yes I do think it would help in recruiting kids from there. Speculation only, but yeah... Impressing their fan base is about #17,699,834,002 on my giveacrap list.

You have to admit that the Utah media has gone from giving us no attention to some attention since the GA renaissance, which has corresponded with our improved play against the Y (and when they'll play us, the U).

If you can find another OOC, consistent top 50 program to play us home and home on a regular basis, then you'd have a case for telling them goodbye. But we can't simultaneously b**** about our home schedule and attendance, and disclaim the best team and biggest draw willing to come to Merlin Olsen Field.
Byu is the only out-of-conference team we face. Every one else has a home.

Sent from an original NES.

Twitter: UtahStizzle

AGGdict

Post by AGGdict » February 15th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Jayzep wrote:I'm old enough to be completely sick of that school and their fan base. I'm more then fine if we never play them again.
Ha ha! Me too. And I'm only 35!

LoveMyAggies

Post by LoveMyAggies » March 8th, 2017, 6:35 am

AggiesForever wrote:
Honestly, I think playing ybu was fun when we were allowed to get at them as fans any way possible. When the apology happened, it did more damage than good, imho. Therefore, I feel playing ybu has turned into a negative event, and is a major waste of our time as a program. Our program should be striving to compete with Utah, Boise along with our other MWC cohorts, and other mid-major programs. Let ybu enjoy their independence, honor code, and wcc affiliations. I really feel it has more negatives than positives to play them year in and year out. Look at Utah, they didn't play them this year in basketball, and it turned out just fine for them.

Maverik_Aggie

Post by Maverik_Aggie » March 8th, 2017, 9:47 am

LoveMyAggies wrote:
AggiesForever wrote:
Honestly, I think playing ybu was fun when we were allowed to get at them as fans any way possible. When the apology happened, it did more damage than good, imho. Therefore, I feel playing ybu has turned into a negative event, and is a major waste of our time as a program. Our program should be striving to compete with Utah, Boise along with our other MWC cohorts, and other mid-major programs. Let ybu enjoy their independence, honor code, and wcc affiliations. I really feel it has more negatives than positives to play them year in and year out. Look at Utah, they didn't play them this year in basketball, and it turned out just fine for them.
One thing nobody is pointing out here is that BYU is willing to do H and H with us. That is yuuuuuge IMO. I think if we have an in state team (Utah is not a large state) that is also at FBS level that will do H and H you take it. Utah refuses to do a H and H with us because well... yadda yadda yadda. I'm not sure of all the reasons (money, tradition, fans, whatever) but at least BYU will play us H and H and I can respect them for doing that and "keeping it real" so to speak.

I loved when Hartwell slammed the Utes when they asked if we could do some 2 for 1 bulls*** with bball where its 2 @UU and then 1 @ Spectrum. The disrespect.

SMDH. :wtf:

Locked Previous topicNext topic