Match-up thoughts... Football talk

This forum is for Football related topics only. Other topics will be moved to the appropriate forum.
Madmartigan

Match-up thoughts... Football talk

Post by Madmartigan » September 28th, 2017, 2:35 pm

This game is extremely hard to predict. Each team is such a mystery based on who they played. Here is a smattering of thoughts:

-Can Kent Myers make the right reads and throws? I think we can throw on them. The game goes as he goes.
-IF we can stop their running game I don't think they can throw on us very well: Jalen Davis, Haney, and Ingram are more than capable of creating some plays. Will Baron Gajkowski continue to make plays?
-Our ST is well coached. This is the best ST unit we've had in... forever. I think we will have a ST play or two in our favor for once
-Pressure the QB: Can our edge rushers push Hoge up in the pocket and make him panic. I think Compton is in for a big day
-TE Group: Raymond will need to be big. We've got to get him the ball. Terrell needs to go a game without dropping a ball over the middle

What matchups favor us and which don't?

ViAggie

Re: Match-up thoughts... Football talk

Post by ViAggie » September 28th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Madmartigan wrote:This game is extremely hard to predict. Each team is such a mystery based on who they played. Here is a smattering of thoughts:

-Can Kent Myers make the right reads and throws? I think we can throw on them. The game goes as he goes.
-IF we can stop their running game I don't think they can throw on us very well: Jalen Davis, Haney, and Ingram are more than capable of creating some plays. Will Baron Gajkowski continue to make plays?
-Our ST is well coached. This is the best ST unit we've had in... forever. I think we will have a ST play or two in our favor for once
-Pressure the QB: Can our edge rushers push Hoge up in the pocket and make him panic. I think Compton is in for a big day
-TE Group: Raymond will need to be big. We've got to get him the ball. Terrell needs to go a game without dropping a ball over the middle

ybu's D line vs USU's O line? I hope not, but I fear...

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

Madmartigan

Post by Madmartigan » September 28th, 2017, 3:18 pm

ViAggie wrote:
Madmartigan wrote:This game is extremely hard to predict. Each team is such a mystery based on who they played. Here is a smattering of thoughts:

ybu's D line vs USU's O line? I hope not, but I fear...
Our OL has played pretty well. BYU does have an excellent DL, though.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 28th, 2017, 3:23 pm

The hidden match up that no one's really talking about that I think will be huge for us is Dax Raymond and Jordan Nathan against their safeties or Fred Warner.

Micah Hanneman is arguably the worst coverage safety I've ever seen. Teams pick on him ALL the time. I remember when he was a corner we would throw to whomever he was covering (and it usually worked). He's not fast enough for Jordan and hes too small for Dax. Their other safety isn't much better.

Fred Warner I don't think would be able to cover either of these two very well either.

I'd also love to see us try to get Gerold Bright one on one with Butch Pau'u.

SasquatchAggie
Has thanked: 0

Post by SasquatchAggie » September 28th, 2017, 3:35 pm

If we can give Myers time, I think we can throw on them all night long. I just don't think we will give him enough time. Raymond, Tarver, Nathan etc. should have big games. Hanneman is slow and poor in coverage, all he is looking to do is go at someones head. Their other safeties and corners have not been impressive. I think the biggest miss-match is Tarvers height on the outside against their corners.

Unfortunately we won't be able to run the ball on them so I think they will just keep their ears pinned back and came after Myers all night.

I have not been impressed with our D-lines ability to shed blocks so I think they will run the ball well against us. That will set up the play action pass and if we can't stop that, it could be a long night.

AggieUprising50

Post by AggieUprising50 » September 28th, 2017, 3:59 pm

SasquatchAggie wrote:If we can give Myers time, I think we can throw on them all night long. I just don't think we will give him enough time. Raymond, Tarver, Nathan etc. should have big games. Hanneman is slow and poor in coverage, all he is looking to do is go at someones head. Their other safeties and corners have not been impressive. I think the biggest miss-match is Tarvers height on the outside against their corners.

Unfortunately we won't be able to run the ball on them so I think they will just keep their ears pinned back and came after Myers all night.

I have not been impressed with our D-lines ability to shed blocks so I think they will run the ball well against us. That will set up the play action pass and if we can't stop that, it could be a long night.
If our O-line plays the way they did against Wisconsin, I think we'll be able to give Kent enough time. Remember, we had more sacks against Wisconsin than they did against us! The reason why they shut us down is because their coverage was THAT good.

Intermeddler

Post by Intermeddler » September 28th, 2017, 4:11 pm

I think our biggest potential advantage is our passing game against their secondary. Our receivers will be open, but is Myers up to the task of getting them the ball? I agree with you, the game goes as he goes. If he plays well and makes a few plays with his legs, I think we win. If he plays like he did against WF then I think we will probably lose.

On the other side, I think our corners should be able to handle their receivers. As long as our run D holds up and we keep Hoge from doing much damage running the ball, we should be in good shape there.

gomretat
Has thanked: 0

Post by gomretat » September 28th, 2017, 5:28 pm

If we can stop their running game that will be huge. I dont think we can run against them which is a problem but how well they run against us is the x factor.

ViAggie

Post by ViAggie » September 28th, 2017, 5:41 pm

gomretat wrote:If we can stop their running game that will be huge. I dont think we can run against them which is a problem but how well they run against us is the x factor.
Agreed, they are going try and run the ball down our throat, especially with a new QB and only one game under his belt. Then once they've established the run, then they'll start letting lose with the passing to try and keep us honest. Our D backfield will need to stay vigilant and audible as they see the plays developing. Also, we need to apply the pressure on Hoge and keep it up. This is also why they will attempt to run it on us all day long.

Just another day in the (Aggie) Brotherhood

hickaggie

Post by hickaggie » September 28th, 2017, 7:39 pm

ViAggie wrote:
gomretat wrote:If we can stop their running game that will be huge. I dont think we can run against them which is a problem but how well they run against us is the x factor.
Agreed, they are going try and run the ball down our throat, especially with a new QB and only one game under his belt. Then once they've established the run, then they'll start letting lose with the passing to try and keep us honest. Our D backfield will need to stay vigilant and audible as they see the plays developing. Also, we need to apply the pressure on Hoge and keep it up. This is also why they will attempt to run it on us all day long.
It will come down squarely upon the D line staying low and maintaining leverage off the ball and being able to stunt safeties and LBs while locking down the outside receivers man and accounting for the TE. If our corners and D-line perform there is no excuse for the LBs and Safeties not to blow up the run in the backfield and make a very long night for Mr. Hogue. I am confident in the corners. The rest...I have no idea.

buckfever

Post by buckfever » September 28th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Well. I was gifted a seat at BYU vs Wisconsin. Don't usually go unless aggies are playing there
Some plays I watch to see which line is smashing the other. I also watch recievers vs defensive backs. BYU #7 blew 3 coverages himself. Figure he was outran on 3 other Wisconsin big gains
Now. They are not playing a P5 team in USU. Nor are we facing isu or sjsu
That stated. Our O line is better. They have a decent d line

They have no one as fast as Jordan Nathan. Combo of Meyers love is waaaay better than hoge
I'm in now way an anylist. But we are faster. They are big and slow.
We screw up early we may shudder and it's a close contest. We hit big early. Kitty litter. We win by 17 :pirate:

Locked Previous topicNext topic